#1 Edited by ikilledthedj (311 posts) -

I get the feeling this might have come up before but today I was thinking about a 24/7 stream for premium members that plays GB content new and old randomly. Some times I just want to watch a random video but don't want to find something random thu the pages and pages of ql's etc. i have videos on in the back ground all the time so it would be cool if I just flicked the stream on and some random episode of the P4 ER was on. I guess if there was just a random video button would be the same but what if the stream had 24/7 chat too and duders can just hang out and talk mess and remember the good times.

Edit: sorry for those who came here looking for an actual stream I should have worded the title differently mods feel free to adjust

#2 Posted by believer258 (11987 posts) -

That... actually sounds like it might be handy for when I'm bored or need some background noise or any number of things.

However, I don't know how much effort this would require, and I really wouldn't ask that they put all that much effort into something like this when it's really just a "when I'm bored" kinda thing.

#3 Posted by rmanthorp (4002 posts) -

I asked this on Jeff Tumblr last year some point and he said the idea has been around for a long time but I think it's just a bit logistically unsound. Cost and management etc. I still think it's a solid dumb idea and support it 100%. They could premier secret new videos in the late hours of the livestream before they hit the site.

Moderator Online
#4 Posted by ikilledthedj (311 posts) -

In a perfect world it's a single playlist set up that just plays. But with all the trouble they have streaming as it is then yeah it probably could turn into a clusterfuck. there must be days and days of content.

I had the idea of my own bootleg GBTV but I think it would get iffy with the sub stuff + me downloading the entire back catalog haha.

#5 Posted by Fredddi43 (340 posts) -

It could just be a youtube playlist sorta thing that randomly selects videos when you open the webpage, and then keeps going. There is already a site that randoms you quick looks, but you gotta manually click for the next one.

#6 Posted by Snail (8615 posts) -

They would probably get hassled about "bandwidth costs". It does seem like a pricey venture that would require some dedicated management, but it's great idea.

Maybe it would require a separate fee or something, which doesn't sound like them at all.

#7 Posted by Darji (5294 posts) -

Yeah it does not need to be a 24/7 channel but rather a playlist feature I really would love this... But I would not say to a 24/7 stream of GB content with chat. Back in the days there were several nostalgia and other reviewer channels on justin TV which were really really fun to watch^^

#8 Posted by Mijati (937 posts) -

I have all the Quick Looks downloaded on my PC so I often have them playing on random while I'm doing other stuff, it's fantastic.

#9 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5798 posts) -

That sounds perfect.

#10 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1620 posts) -

While that would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Universe, the streaming costs would be outrageous.

#11 Posted by GERALTITUDE (3428 posts) -

Great idea, petition signed

#12 Posted by GaspoweR (3167 posts) -

Well, I think you can get something close to that by just having a feature that can create a randomized playlist. I think someone with knowledge with the code can probably pull it off by using GB's API.

#13 Edited by alternate (2715 posts) -

Twitch changes mean it would cost too much in bandwidth.

#14 Posted by guanophobic (317 posts) -

While that would be the greatest thing to ever happen to the Universe, the streaming costs would be outrageous.

How so? Just use twitch.

#15 Posted by Yusar (15 posts) -

@alwaysbebombing said:

How so? Just use twitch.

Can't do that anymore unfortunately. Twitch removed the password feature, so it would have to be only non-premium content.

#16 Edited by Kingpk (198 posts) -

http://gbrandom.angelfire.com/ql.html

Just use this.

#17 Edited by jkz (4040 posts) -

@kingpk said:

http://gbrandom.angelfire.com/ql.html

Just use this.

This exactly. Your wish was answered a bit ago by an awesome user. I just leave that link in my bookmark bar and click on it whenever I'm doing work & need some background noise.

#18 Posted by RonGalaxy (3221 posts) -

That sounds like a great idea.

#19 Edited by EthanML (455 posts) -

I regularly just put on one of the several GB youtube playlists in the background, both of bombcasts and quick looks etc, that's pretty much what you're after.

#20 Posted by Slag (4615 posts) -

That would be pretty sweet!

#21 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

@yusar said:
@guanophobic said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

How so? Just use twitch.

Can't do that anymore unfortunately. Twitch removed the password feature, so it would have to be only non-premium content.

Well we can't have those filthy non premiums getting in on the action, they might, heaven forbid...enjoy themselves. Or get crumbs everywhere.

#22 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@yusar said:
@guanophobic said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

How so? Just use twitch.

Why not do it for non premium users as well but just roll adds after each video?^^

#23 Edited by Robot_Sneakers (418 posts) -

@kingpk: Thank you, I had seen this a while ago and I lost the bookmark. It will come in handy.

As for the topic, I do like the idea of being able to watch quicklooks with others and chat, premium or not, but realistically I don't see it happening.

#24 Posted by ikilledthedj (311 posts) -

Even if they could just create a random playlist button on the video page :) One can only dream

#25 Edited by Yusar (15 posts) -

@sooty said:

@yusar said:
@guanophobic said:

@alwaysbebombing said:

How so? Just use twitch.

Well we can't have those filthy non premiums getting in on the action, they might, heaven forbid...enjoy themselves. Or get crumbs everywhere.

Hey I'm all for letting anybody watch, but it would potentially devalue the premium features that help keep the site up.

#26 Edited by billymagnum (837 posts) -

what's the point of premium content if everyone can have it? sorry but im not for everyone getting that stuff for nothing. putting in after video ads is not an equal trade-off.

anyways...

just put a playlist option on the site with repeat all and shuffle. but for the love of god no fucking "are you still watching?" stream killers.

#27 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

what's the point of premium content if everyone can have it? sorry but im not for everyone getting that stuff for nothing. putting in after video ads is not an equal trade-off.

anyways...

just put a playlist option on the site with repeat all and shuffle. but for the love of god no fucking "are you still watching?" stream killers.

Maybe you could include year+ stuff in there so people can actually see what they are paying for if they wanted. But with or without PRemium content GB should have enough videos to do this.

#28 Edited by MattyFTM (14417 posts) -

Even if it was done through twitch to minimize costs, there is still a major cost to take into account - the chat servers. The chat servers are very expensive. You'd be talking thousands of dollars a week to keep them on 24/7.

It's a nice idea and would be cool, but in reality it's infeasible.

Moderator Online
#29 Edited by Darji (5294 posts) -

@mattyftm: cant you just use the twitch chat? and use some voluntary mods or so?

#30 Posted by billymagnum (837 posts) -

@darji said:

@billymagnum said:

anyways...

Maybe you could include year+ stuff in there so people can actually see what they are paying for if they wanted. But with or without PRemium content GB should have enough videos to do this.

quite a few non-subscribers always seem to say they don't know what they would be getting or what they are missing out on. i just find that rather hard to believe within this community. i dont believe GB needs to stream premium stuff like its a cable company showing off HBO for free. everyone knows what is out there, and its not like you cant find out rather quickly anyway. thats kind of how i became a subscriber. you could say well maybe do premium teases like only play a certain amount of the shows but then that seems like a huge undertaking in itself....

and also no thank you to to a 24/7 chat going on with that hypothetical stream.

#31 Edited by Snail (8615 posts) -
@mattyftm said:

Even if it was done through twitch to minimize costs, there is still a major cost to take into account - the chat servers. The chat servers are very expensive. You'd be talking thousands of dollars a week to keep them on 24/7.

It's a nice idea and would be cool, but in reality it's infeasible.

[EDIT: Or just do it without chat. I would just deactivate it anyway.]

What if access to this required a fee that's separate from Premium Subscriptions? It's un-Giant-Bomb-ish, I know, but I think that could potentially cover "thousands of dollars", no?

Maybe we just have to wait until the right technology/service providers come around, but I would put down 10$ (separate from my yearly subscription) to get access to a Giant Bomb 24/7 "TV" service.

And I bet a bunch of other Giant Bomb users would too - but I also bet a bunch of them would be offended by the notion (feeling tempted to create a poll thread to see how that would pan out).

But yeah, that would just be the best for when you want something going on in the background.