• 59 results
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By jakob187

I bought myself a 4,000 points card, and now I'm trying to figure out what all to get.  I'm already downloaded 'Splosion Man as I'm typing this, and here are the games that I'm considering outside of it.  Help me make a choice!

• The Maw - 800 points (BUYING IT)
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed - 800 points (2)
  • Castlevania: SOTN - 800 points (2)
  • Alien Hominid HD - 800 points
  • Mega Man 9 - 800 points (2)
  • Monkey Island SE - 800 points (2)
  • The Dishwasher - 800 points (1)
  • Kingdom for Keflings - 800 points (1)
  • Castle Crashers - 1200 points (2)
  • Puzzle Quest - 800 points (1)

So a little background:  since I'm getting 'Splosion Man, I'm pretty sure I'm going to get The Maw as well...as I've been interested in both games.

I love Bionic Commando and everything that encompasses it, so Rearmed is a smart choice as well.

Castlevania happens to be a game where, on PS1, I'm sitting at 232% of the map explored (using Sword Brothers glitch...don't know if it's in the Arcade version)

Alien Hominid was a game that I MASSIVELY loved, but the difficulty can still be crippling.

Mega Man 9...I've just wanted to play for a long time.

Monkey Island SE - dood, it's Monkey Island.

The Dishwasher is a game I've been interested in for a while, as well as Kingdom for Keflings.

Castle Crashers is the same guys that did Alien Hominid, so I'm sure I'll like it...although the 1200 point price tag is eh.

Puzzle Quest is a game I had on Wii, and I loved it.  I'd like to get Galactrix, but 1200 points is steep for Bejeweled with spaceships.

I would get Battlefield 1943, but I'm pretty sure my boss is getting it for all the Xbox consoles we've got, so I'm not going to blow my own PERSONAL points on it.  Also, I say no to Braid ONLY BECAUSE it's 1200 points.  I'm thinking just going for (5) 800 points games would be the best, as I cannot go over 4,000 points.  Also remember that I'm an achievement snatcher, so I want games that have FUN achievements (do not read that as EASY achievements).

So, HOOK ME UP!!!  What games should I get, folks?  You know I hate it when people ask that question, but with so many to choose from, I'M LOST!!!

Also...you've only got five hours to help me decide...then I start blowing points left and right, and Lord knows how bad that will be!

***EDIT***  I'm adding vote numbers at the end of each game.  More than likely, that's how I'll decide which games to buy.  = D  I'm pretty sure they are all great games, so it's seriously coming down to what YOU guys say.
Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Jeffsekai

Marvel vs Capcom 2

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Mega Man, Castlevania, Castle Crashers, and something that costs 400 points.

DanielJW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DanielJW

The Maw appears to be very good, and Puzzle Quest is very good.  I would suggest those. 

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By jakob187
@Jeffsekai said:
" Marvel vs Capcom 2 "
The other thing I forgot to mention:  I have the VS series of Capcom fighting games, so no to MvC2.  I'm also buying a separate card later for Shadow Complex.
Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Agnogenic_delete

On that list I would probably go with... The Maw, Bionic Commando Rearmed,  The Dishwasher and Kingdom for Keflings. I found Keflings to be really addicting. :p

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jakob187

Dood, I'm looking at the achievements for Mega Man 9, and not only does the game seem like it would be massive amounts of nostalgic fun, BUT THOSE ACHIEVEMENTS SOUND FUCKING INSANELY HARD!!!  I'm really considering that one now...

Also, I've decided that The Maw will be getting purchashed.  That leaves 2400 points to go!  
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jakob187
@Agnogenic said:
" On that list I would probably go with... The Maw, Bionic Commando Rearmed,  The Dishwasher and Kingdom for Keflings. I found Keflings to be really addicting. :p "
What exactly IS Kingdom for Keflings?
WitchHunter_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By WitchHunter_Z

Megaman 9 and Monkey Island are the two that really stand out for me, and if you love Bionic Commando, then Rearmed is definitely a solid choice.

Avatar image for agnogenic_delete
Agnogenic_delete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Agnogenic_delete
@jakob187: You bascially are giant in a town of people and you build their buildings and collect resources. It is interesting.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jakob187
@Agnogenic said:
" @jakob187: You bascially are giant in a town of people and you build their buildings and collect resources. It is interesting. "
So KINDA like a God game...except not totally...and you build stuff for a bunch of people?  Can I squash said people in any way, and are there negative repercussions for this?  Ah, Hell, I'll just go look it up on the Tube.

*EDIT*  Watched a pretty decent review that compared it in some ways to Viva Pinata and said that it's a pretty relaxing game to get away from the frustration of other games.  Given the OTHER games in the list...this is something I'm not STRONGLY considering on buying...just for the relaxing nature of it...from what I've heard it has.  Thanks for the suggestion, Agno.  I had only heard it was a good game and didn't even know what KIND of game it was.
natetodamax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#12  Edited By natetodamax

What the hell is Splosion Man anyway?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#13  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Castlevania was my first XBLA game, and it's still one of my favorites. Some of the points are hard though (Beat the game as Richter, get 200.6% explored)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jakob187
@natetodamax said:
" What the hell is Splosion Man anyway? "
FUCKING AWESOME!!!  You are a dood made of, like, molten lava...and you 'splode everywhere!  50 levels for the single player, plus a completely separate multiplayer mode.  Platforming all the way, but from what I've heard, it's very challenging...and the hardcore mode is supposed to be RIDICULOUS!!!  You should watch the Quick Look on Giant Bomb.  = D

@ArbitraryWater said:
" Castlevania was my first XBLA game, and it's still one of my favorites. Some of the points are hard though (Beat the game as Richter, get 200.6% explored) "
Well, if the Sword Brothers glitch is still in the game, it's not THAT hard.  = D  I mastered the shit out of SOTN for PS1, so going through it a fourteenth time would be a walk in the park.  Nonetheless, it's still an INCREDIBLE fucking game.  Given that I'm looking forward to Shadow Complex (and dying a little inside for every day it isn't released), I'm heavily considering SOTN as well to brush up on my side-scrolling ass-kicking skills.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#15  Edited By StarFoxA

Definitely get Castle Crashers (then maybe we can boost some of the harder multiplayer achievements :D).

Tharrington

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Tharrington

Bionic Commando Rearmed is fantastic.  I vote you get that as soon as possible.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jakob187
@StarFoxA said:
" Definitely get Castle Crashers (then maybe we can boost some of the harder multiplayer achievements :D). "
LOL  You've got an RRoD 360, StarFox.  Nice try.  I could always get a 4,000 point card whenever Shadow Complex comes out, buy that, and then get Castle Crashers then.  o.O  I'm going to consider that as a possibility.
StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By StarFoxA
@jakob187 said:
" @StarFoxA said:
" Definitely get Castle Crashers (then maybe we can boost some of the harder multiplayer achievements :D). "
LOL  You've got an RRoD 360, StarFox.  Nice try.  I could always get a 4,000 point card whenever Shadow Complex comes out, buy that, and then get Castle Crashers then.  o.O  I'm going to consider that as a possibility. "
Sweet, when you do get it Metroid has the game as well, and he was obsessed with it, so he's like memorized the locations of a lot of things that you need to get. So we could play through the game, and that would be awesome.

He has like a level 97 character though. O.O
Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By Pantalooney

Get The Maw and Monkey Island.
I have Bionic Commando but didnt really like it, Castle Crashers is great but kind of pricey, Alien Hominid is fun but way too hard.

skrutop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

User Lists: 14

#20  Edited By skrutop

Puzzle Quest is good for short periods, but it gets very grindy, very quickly and there's too much random chance involved to make multiplayer any fun.  Alien Hominid's pretty good, but I don't feel like I got 800 MS Points out of it.  I would recommend Geometry Wars 2, Pac-Man Championship Edition, Lumines Live, and Rock Band DLC :P.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Linkyshinks
@Jeffsekai said:
" Marvel vs Capcom 2 "

And Megaman 9.. I'm surprised you didn't get it earlier. Bionic Commando R and Monkey Island SE also.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jakob187
@skrutop: I'm not very good at Geometry Wars, I've got Pac-Man CE on a comp disc, and I'm getting tons of free DLC for Rock Band from my half-price 75 cent Pepsi sodas at work.  lol  Also, I had Puzzle Quest on Wii, and I loved it.  As for the "random chance" thing in multiplayer...you never saw the matches between my mother and I.  = D
OmarStyles9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmarStyles9

Geometry Wars 2 is not nealry as hard as 1, and with 6 completly different games types, (rather than the 1 found in Geometry Wars 1) it's quite a bargain at 800 points. And looks amazing. Oh, and if you're into Capcom fighting games, I really recommend (here goes) Super Stree 2t Fighter HD Remix. It's everything Street Fighter 2 was, and then some! :)

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jakob187
@OmarStyles9 said:
"Geometry Wars 2 is not nealry as hard as 1, and with 6 completly different games types, (rather than the 1 found in Geometry Wars 1) it's quite a bargain at 800 points. And looks amazing. Oh, and if you're into Capcom fighting games, I really recommend (here goes) Super Stree 2t Fighter HD Remix. It's everything Street Fighter 2 was, and then some! :)"
SHIT!  I FORGOT about SSFIIHDR!!!  Man...grrr...no.  NO!  I can't do it.  I'll get sucked in too much!  
OmarStyles9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OmarStyles9

Hahaha, Don't worry, It's arcade mode isn't that long, and its good even in short amounts of playing.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
@OmarStyles9 said:
" Hahaha, Don't worry, It's arcade mode isn't that long, and its good even in short amounts of playing. "
I used to do SFII tourneys back in the day...like, I was bad into them.  All I would do was play for hours on end.  $30 at the arcade was a light visit.  I don't want to fall into that addiction again!!!
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jakob187

***UPDATE***  I've already bought 'Splosion Man, The Maw, and Bionic Commando Rearmed.  I beat the single player for 'Splosion Man a few minutes ago, and dood...insanity.  ABSOLUTE insanity!  The Maw is fun so far, as well as very relaxing.  TwistedPixel might be my new favorite developers.  = D

Bionic Commando Rearmed...I've only played a couple of levels worth on that, and it's definitely good stuff.

This leaves me with 1600 points.  Any other suggestions?
JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

#28  Edited By JJWeatherman

Castlevania bro, can't recommend it enough. I actually just played it yesterday and kicked Draculas ass all over again. That game is a lot of fun, especially if you enjoy exploration.

Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Linkyshinks

Hell yea, save em for MvC2 tomorrow.. 1200

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jakob187
@Linkyshinks said:
" Hell yea, save em for MvC2 tomorrow.. 1200 "
I don't like the VS games, Linky.  Just not my thing.

Here's the way I'm looking at it at the moment (God, I'm such an indecisive fucker):
  • Castlevania: SOTN & Mega Man 9
  • Puzzle Quest & A Kingdom for Keflings
  • Castle Crashers & Doom

And I'm slowly convincing myself towards Castle Crashers & Doom.  While I love Castlevania and Mega Man, I just don't want to deal with that much frustration in my games.  Puzzle Quest and Kingdom would give me something to play just for some relaxation after playing through something tougher.  Castle Crashers and Doom would satiate my bloodlust.

DECISIONS!!!  GRRR!!!!
Out_On_Bail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#31  Edited By Out_On_Bail
This shouldn't even be a discussion. Just blow it all on avatar clothing and themes. ;)

Joking aside, you've got some good picks up there, but I'm not the best source for advice on the topic so I won't try to give any.  Good luck with the decision, you sound about as indecisive as I am.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By jakob187
@Out_On_Bail said:
"This shouldn't even be a discussion. Just blow it all on avatar clothing and themes. ;)

Joking aside, you've got some good picks up there, but I'm not the best source for advice on the topic so I won't try to give any.  Good luck with the decision, you sound about as indecisive as I am."
You should see me when I'm CD or DVD shopping.  That's a five hour long trip, and I MIGHT walk out with one movie or CD.  =  /
Linkyshinks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Linkyshinks

Fair enough, but MvC2 is the very best of them so far, it's undeniably fun and I couldn't fathom how anyone could dislike it. If you rarely play local MP , which is definitely more fun,  then I can understand that decision better.

Castlevania and Megaman is what I would opt for, second to that would be CC and Doom.  I would pass on the middle option as I already have the Wii game. Enjoy what you end up getting.

Man, I need to get some points myself now that I think about it!

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By jakob187
@Linkyshinks: It's just a personal.  Also, given that the Xbox I'm DL'ing it on is a 1-player station here at work, I wouldn't be doing any local play on it.

I'm glad that you see my problem, though, with what to pick.  It's like...I've actually picked a slew of GOOD games, but it's the limitation of points that's holding me back.  It's kinda driving me nuts at the moment.  I even got to the point earlier that I was like "fuck it, I'm just going to buy four 400 point games and just achievement whore them"...until I realized I don't really WANT to achievement whore these games.  I want to experience XBLA, as this is the first time I've ever downloaded games from it.  I think I've done pretty damn great so far with my choices.  I'm sure I'll have it figured out by the time I get off work today and start playing.
Bigvic785

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Bigvic785

Stranglehold DLC

timay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By timay

I dont have an xbox but have played Castle Crashers and its a great game. I have Bionic Commando on the PS3 and Monkey Island on the PC and Both are good games.  I guess those would be my choices.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By The_A_Drain

Of the ones listed, I would reccomend Bionic Commando Rearmed, Castlevania and Monkey Island the most. With Puzzle Quest and Castle Crashers running close behind. Puzzle Quest is reduced price now too I beleive.

Although, I would personally add to that if you do not already own these games, Duke Nukem 3D, Wolfenstein 3D, Doom (only 400 points, imo noone has any excuse not to own this) and honestly I would replace Kingdom fo Keflings with Carcassone, Age of Booty or Settlers of Catan. Or wait for Zombies!!! which is going to be amazing. The Penny Arcade games are fantastic too, but expensive.

I can't reccomend Mega Man 9, purely on the basis that it kicks my ass and I am bitter about it. 

That's my opinion, I would add MvC2 but you don't like it, cool with me.

If I had 3200 points right now, and no arcade games. I would get these.

Castlevania SOTN (800)
Wolfenstein 3D(400)
Doom(400)
Bionic Commando Rearmed(800)
and either Puzzle Quest, Duke Nukem 3D or Monkey Island. (800)

That's 3200 points. Doesn't go far now I think about it :\ Theres so many other games I would want on top of those.

Edit:

If by some freak chance you do not have the following.

Uno
Pacman Championship Edition
Boom Boom Rocket

or

Bejeweled 2
Geometry Wars Retro Evolved
Texas Hold Em

Go out and buy the compliation discs second hand rather than buying the games off of XBLA. They are stupidly cheap if you can find them, they aren't hard to find, but they aren't all over the place either. Trust me though, you will be able to get them both for less than the price of even two of those games. And they come with some other junk like Luxor, Wik and Feeding Frenzy, Backgammon and something else.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jakob187
@The_A_Drain: We actually have Unplugged comp disc, as well as the one that comes with the Arcade 360s.  We've got, like, at least 8 copies of the one that comes with the Arcade 360s.  I'll dig into those as some point...but I know I'm not that great at Geometry Wars.

Something I just recently realized:  Banjo-Kazooie is only 1200 points.  GRRR, THE DECISIONS GET HARDER!!!

I could just load up on 400 point games like Doom, Gunstar Heroes, Contra, Fatal Fury Special, etc.  I just really don't want to buy a bunch of old games that haven't really changed...especially when I own them on the original systems still.  =  /
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By The_A_Drain
@jakob187:

Well, imo, the only ones really worth it if you still have the originals are Doom and Wolf 3D. Simply because of how much time you will get out of them, while coasting a relatively easy (read: piss easy) 200 points.

I can't reccomend Banjo, but then I dislike Banjo so that's easy for me :P

I think there's only two, the two I have are Unplugged, and "Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc" (original name I know...)
gearhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#40  Edited By gearhead

Monkey Island, Bionic Commando, and Puzzle Quest.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By jakob187
@The_A_Drain: We actually have Unplugged comp disc, as well as the one that comes with the Arcade 360s.  We've got, like, at least 8 copies of the one that comes with the Arcade 360s.  I'll dig into those as some point...but I know I'm not that great at Geometry Wars.

Something I just recently realized:  Banjo-Kazooie is only 1200 points.  GRRR, THE DECISIONS GET HARDER!!!

I could just load up on 400 point games like Doom, Gunstar Heroes, Contra, Fatal Fury Special, etc.  I just really don't want to buy a bunch of old games that haven't really changed...especially when I own them on the original systems still.  =  /

Also, you said that Puzzle Quest is a reduced price right now?  Is it usually 1600 points?  I'm curious, because that's how much Galactrix is, and I've REALLY been wanting to play that...but if it's not as good as the first Puzzle Quest was, then I don't really care.  800 points for Puzzle Quest is starting to sound really tempting, actually...
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_A_Drain
@jakob187:

I've held off buying Galactrix as i've head it's not as good as the first.

The first is part of the Hits range, a permanent price reduction. Same as Doom, which was 800 points. It's now 800 points, was originally 1200 I think though instead of 1600. Could be wrong, but I thought Penny Arcade was the first 1600 point game. I might be wrong.
jNerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By jNerd

Definitely buy The Maw & Castle Crashers. Castle Crashers doesn't have much replay value, but it is long enough & fun enough that you feel like you got your moneys worth. I would wait until Wednesday & grab Marvel vs Cpacom 2, buy that's just me......
P.S. Mega Man 9 is fun, but you'll want to kill yourself.....

sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#44  Edited By sjschmidt93

Bionic Commando Rearmed is amazing.

As is Mega Man 9.

SoulEdgeSlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#45  Edited By SoulEdgeSlayer

The Maw is  a great decision. I would say go for Secret of Monkey Island, for sure. Also, do the 3200 points that you have left already have The Maw deducted from them? I will assume not. So, here's my list.

• Secret of Monkey Island - obvious choice if you don't have it yet.
  • Castlevania: SotN - this is a really great game, but you may want to spread out the play time between this and Shadow Complex. You might get tired of that type of game.
  • Bionic Commando: ReArmed - try the demo first. I loved the demo, and subsequently loved the game. My friend hated the demo, and he ended up hating the main game. It's a good demo to decide whether or not you are into the actual gameplay.
  • Megaman 9 - I loved it, and didn't think it was really that hard, but I have beaten every one of the original Megaman games at least 5 times. I would only get this if you don't already have the Megaman Anniversary Collection or if you have beaten the hell out of the originals like I have.

Other than those, Puzzle Quest is good, but only if you really want a puzzle game.
Discorsi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By Discorsi

I vote for Dishwasher and Megaman 9.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47  Edited By JJOR64

On that list, I suggest Castlevania and Castle Crashers.  I would suggest Mega Man 9 but, it's so fucking hard.  It's easily the hardest Mega Man game out there.  I've beaten Mega Man 1 through 6 but, I can't even beat a single level in 9.  Monkey Island is a great game but, the replay value is really low unless you fucking love the game.  Also, Puzzle Quest is a great game.  You could also pick that one up.  The online is really fun plus, there is that expansion that you can get for it.

breadfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48  Edited By breadfan

you could save the points for the super awsome avatar clothes!...yeah don't do that

asurastrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By asurastrike

Imo wait for Shadow Complex.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By jakob187
@Asurastrike said:
" Imo wait for Shadow Complex. "
I'm getting 4,000 points whenever Shadow Complex comes out, as that and the Red Faction DLC are hitting within two days of each other...and I'm sure there will be more to pick up for other games as well.  = D

Also, I have seen the words "Mega Man 9" pop up more than anything in this thread.  I need people to realize something:  I wreck at Mega Man 1, 2, 3, and 4.  I didn't play 5 or 6.  I can't remember if I played 7.  I walked through Mega Man 8.  Therefore, saying that Mega Man 9 is harder than Mega Man 2...makes me take that on as a fucking challenge at this point!!!  lol