• 102 results
#1 Edited by BigJeffrey (5173 posts) -

So tons of game developers shared their 5 best games of the last gen over at gameinformer. Lot of variety among the picks most AAA games of course but weird that Swery was the only one that chose the correct #1 answer. also Even Well's #1 pick what!!

and just for the heck of it, i'll throw in my top5 games

1. Minecraft
  2. Gears Of War
  3. Call Of Duty 4: Modern Warfare
  4. Halo 3
  5. Alan Wake

GameInformer

#2 Posted by Zevvion (2345 posts) -

It's nice to see how some of them have (helped) created a game that someone else placed in their top 5 games of the past generation. All of them have good choices. I haven't fully figured out what mine would be, but off the top of my head, I think something like this:

1. XCOM: Enemy Within
  2. Dark Souls II
  3. Mass Effect 3
  4. Mirror's Edge
  5. Hearthstone

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Darksiders II
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Gears of War
Burnout Paradise
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
BioShock Infinite
Portal 2
The Last of Us
Crackdown
Prototype
Borderlands 2
Mass Effect
Mass Effect 2
Don't Starve

Dear God, there isn't nearly enough room for any of this. How are these people capable of living with themselves mentioning only 5 games?

#3 Posted by Corevi (4797 posts) -

Grand Theft Auto 5 is the laziest choice imaginable.

#4 Posted by AMyggen (3629 posts) -

This is pretty great.

#5 Posted by Superkenon (1506 posts) -

Swery is kind of the best.

#6 Posted by ViciousBearMauling (1240 posts) -

From my quick skim, I did not see Bayonetta... Every one of these lists should have Bayonetta

#7 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

Swery is kind of the best.

He definitely has one of the most unique lists among the crowd.

#8 Posted by csl316 (9421 posts) -

In no order:

Uncharted 2

Halo: Reach

Mass Effect 3

Super Mario Galaxy 2

Braid/Super Meat Boy (for indie influence!)

#9 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Is it weird that I've only heard of five of these people?

#10 Posted by Pr1mus (3946 posts) -

The only thing that surprise me in all those is how little mention there is of anything Mass Effect.

#11 Edited by Yummylee (22518 posts) -

A lot of Uncharted 2 mentions I see! x) I think that and BioShock may be the most recurring games from a quick glance over; sure someone could do the math and serve up some hot, raw data to compile how often each game on there is mentioned.

I'm already set on my own top 5 anywhoo. I seem to recall a thread where we'd list our top ten, and while there's sure to be a cycle of odd change ups depending on the day for the upper half (and maybe the overall ordering), I feel confident that my top 5 at least are relatively consistent in their placements.

1. Red Dead Redemption
  2. Dragon Age: Origins
  3. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves
  4. The Last of Us
  5. Gears of War 3
#12 Edited by GunstarRed (5448 posts) -

Beautiful Katamari... Swery has the best top 5 because it's the weirdest.

Edit this would probably be my top 5, maybe not in this order.

• Street Fighter IV
  • Bayonetta
  • Red Dead Redemption
  • Ratchet & Clank A Crack in Time
  • Gears of War 3

#13 Edited by Rebel_Scum (769 posts) -

This is pretty cool. Can't believe only 1/35 devs put any sort of Mass Effect game in there. Good to see Wii Sports (+Resort) get some votes.

You know what is the only thing to do now is rank those into a comprehensive top ten.

#14 Posted by Ramone (2976 posts) -

Kiki Wolfkill is the greatest name of all time.

#15 Posted by Shindig (669 posts) -

Just five, no order.

Burnout Paradise

Demon's Souls

Crackdown

Portal

Batman: Arkham Asylum

#16 Posted by Brodehouse (10128 posts) -

Mine is.

1. Mass Effect 2
  2. Bastion
  3. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
  4. Dragon Age: Origins
  5. Dead Space

I was too lazy to like games other than GTA!

#17 Posted by mercutio123 (473 posts) -

Burnout Paradise

Arkham Asylum

Gears Of War 3

Call Of Duty: Modern Warfare

The Last Of Us

#18 Posted by Crono11 (1651 posts) -

Not enough Modern Warfare on those list.

Those are some good lists and it's always great to see what games people making games enjoy.

#19 Posted by SunBroZak (1342 posts) -

Not surprised that Ed McMillen loved Spelunky.

#20 Posted by Grimace (376 posts) -

This is not an easy thing to do. I wonder how long the developers got to think about their choices?

In no order:

Mass Effect 2

Geometry Wars 2

Assassins Creed 2

Pac Man Championship Edition DX

Batman: Arkham Asylum

#21 Posted by Nodima (1290 posts) -

How so? Only two people mentioned it and were correct in saying it was the best. Frankly I was a little surprised to see so many GTA IV's considering it's been bested in a variety of areas by other games, not just GTA V. But I spose it's a little like the preference for Vice City over San Andreas.

Off the top of my head it's hard to remember exactly what I played over an entire generation, but it's probably something like:

1. Grand Theft Auto V

2. The Last of Us

3. NBA 2K11

4. Mass Effect 2

5. Red Dead Redemption

#22 Posted by RecSpec (3926 posts) -

Swery likes Heavy Rain, awesome.

#23 Edited by pyromagnestir (4339 posts) -

Really Greg? Valkyria Chronicles at number 2? I'm not mad, I'm just disappointed.

Also Kiki Wolfkill is a great name.

#24 Posted by Corevi (4797 posts) -

@nodima said:

@corruptedevil said:

How so? Only two people mentioned it and were correct in saying it was the best. Frankly I was a little surprised to see so many GTA IV's considering it's been bested in a variety of areas by other games, not just GTA V. But I spose it's a little like the preference for Vice City over San Andreas.

Because it's designed by committee, focus tested to the point where there's barely any personality left, just a soulless husk of a game trying to be entertaining.

#25 Posted by Nodima (1290 posts) -

Oh, I thought that was Watch Dogs. GTA V was one of the most charming, exhilarating experiences I've ever had, and continue to have online. To each their own.

#26 Edited by Fredchuckdave (6136 posts) -

That's right, no Witcher 2 folks.

#27 Posted by TheHT (11769 posts) -

Hunh. I would not have associated Randy Pitchford with Ni no Kuni.

#28 Posted by ottoman673 (567 posts) -

No Lang on this list = no fucks given

#29 Posted by KoolAid (1030 posts) -

@bigjeffrey: It looks like Swery is the only one who even mentioned that game! It's kind of crazy! I wonder if these lists are meant to be subjective or objective. Either way it's kind of embarrassing.

#30 Posted by Corevi (4797 posts) -

@koolaid: People in the game industry generally don't care about Minecraft. It's just kind of a thing. Same with DayZ.

#31 Posted by Gantrathor (235 posts) -

No Brad Muir? I guess maybe that's a Giant Bomb thing.

#32 Posted by mrfluke (5340 posts) -

thats a pretty surprising amount of number 1s

big one for me was Tommy and MGS4, dude in the movie said he hated AAA games with a passion.

#33 Posted by Fitzgerald (314 posts) -

I'm a little confused. What exactly is the criteria for "best" ? Do they mean "best" by most influential? Or "best" as in, "these were my favorite games to play"

If it's the latter... yikes.

#34 Edited by BoOzak (996 posts) -

@recspec said:

Swery likes Heavy Rain, awesome.

Isnt D4 just Heavy Rain on crack? ;p

I made a "Top Five" list awhile ago, i'm not sure i'd change anything. I'm surprised how recent most of these games are. I know nostalgia can sometimes destort a view of a game that might be somewhat shit by todays standards but I know a lot of genre defining games that still hold up that werent even mentioned. Not that it matters it's a personal list and that's the point, I just didnt expect it.

#35 Posted by ThunderSlash (1948 posts) -

Greg Kasavin's list is probably the closest to mine. Swery and Randy Pitchford's lists are hella unique though.

#36 Posted by mracoon (4978 posts) -
#37 Posted by HeyGuys (557 posts) -

Spelunky being McMillen's number one isn't surprising.

Kind of a disappointing list really, a lot of repetition, and some pretty boring choices.

#38 Edited by believer258 (12180 posts) -

@ramone said:

Kiki Wolfkill is the greatest name of all time.

This exact sentence runs through my mind every time I've heard her name.

These lists seem all right, I guess. I'm surprised that games like Mass Effect and Dark Souls and Minecraft made so few of the lists. Long games don't seem to be prevalent at all in these lists.

Guess I'll post my own top 5, off the top of my head, without giving it tons of thought!

1) Skyrim

2) Mass Effect 2

3) Deus Ex Human Revolution

4) Just Cause 2

5) Halo 3

Entirely subject to change at my whim, of course. I doubt I'll change those first two, but the rest of them seem like things I could swap in and out.

#39 Posted by Zelnox (395 posts) -

For such a popular game, but because of the time investment, I’m not surprised Dota 2 is absent.

#40 Posted by Hamst3r (4562 posts) -

It would be nice if someone would combine these lists into one weighted list.

#41 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Because it's designed by committee, focus tested to the point where there's barely any personality left, just a soulless husk of a game trying to be entertaining.

That could describe 50% of video games.

#42 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (726 posts) -

Bioshock

Red Dead Redemption

Street Fighter IV

Burnout Paradise

Dark Souls

Also, you would do well not to fuck with a chick named Kiki Wolfkill.

#43 Posted by HeyGuys (557 posts) -

I guess I'll add my own list.

1. Dark Souls

2. Street Fighter IV

3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

4. Bayonetta

5. Journey

#44 Edited by EuanDewar (5098 posts) -

I wanna sit down with Swery and have an in-depth conversation with him about what he liked so much about From Dust. Not that I find it hard to imagine someone loving that game, I don't find it hard imagining people loving any game. But I'm super duper curious as to what he specifically saw in it. It's not even in the top 1000 games I would've expected him to choose.

#45 Posted by Sbaitso (562 posts) -

Really love that Vince Zampella put his own game as his number 2. Not that I disagree with him or anything, and I might even be tempted to put CoD4 as my number 1, it just sort of stood out to me.

#46 Edited by guanophobic (329 posts) -

Ok, so what does this tell us? Why should I care?

#47 Edited by militantfreudian (135 posts) -

Gears of War is second on Neil Druckmann's list -- that's weird, I guess? I'm a bit disappointed Dean Evans' list didn't solely consist of Papers, Please. This is great though.

#48 Posted by Captain_Insano (1563 posts) -

Also no Gears which is interesting in and of itself.

#49 Edited by Winsord (1300 posts) -

Was not expecting Randy Pitchford to have Ni No Kuni on his list at all, nevermind at #2. In fact, that's probably the list I agree with the most, with Robin Hunicke being a close second. Also, Ed and Spelunky seem like the perfect match to me unsurprisingly enough, and I was really excited to see a list from Swery.

In no particular order, my list would probably consist of Rock Band (3), Ni No Kuni, Dragon's Dogma, PGR3, and Star Wars: The Old Republic.

#50 Posted by Aegon (5821 posts) -

Nice to see Valkyria Chronicles so high up on Greg's list. I think Super Giant can make a great tactical RPG on all fronts.