360: Why the crazy love? PS3: Why the crazy hate?

• 51 results
GMhawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By GMhawk

Both systems have there positives and negatives.  Here are some of them (IMO):

360 Positives: XBox Live (best online console service), several awesome shooters, very good 3rd party support, Achievement Points
360 Negatives: RROD's (everyone I know has had atleast one, some up to 4 times), 30% reported overall failure rate, controller sucks for anything other than FPS or racing games, clunky Marketplace interface

PS3 Positives: Free online gaming w/ PSN, best overall controller, most 1st party titles (Nintendo arguably has the best), 3% reported failure rate, very intuitive and streamlined OS (XMB)
Negatives: not as many quality FPS games, very limited online service, more expensive console, harder to develop for

So what's the deal?  It seems most gamers are way to into the 360 and hate too much on the PS3.  What's up with that?

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By BoG

I love my PS3. I think it is just all recent talk, because the 360 got FFXIII, so the sony fanboys are a bit uneasy. Both consoles have their strengths, and benefits to owning.

epic_pets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By epic_pets

I dont know, but the RROD is a huge problem

mtosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By mtosh

I have a PS3 and a 360 and tbh i play my 360 a lot more than my ps3 in the future that may change but atm i enjoy the 360 and especially xbl (Not saying i don't enjoy  the ps3)

Avatar image for fenixrevolution
fenixrevolution

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By fenixrevolution

I have both and a Wii (WHY!?) and generally use the PS3 for Warhawk and the 360 for Rock Band.

Except now my bass pedal is busted on Rock Band =(

DXSSI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By DXSSI

For me, it's a matter of timing.  Both consoles offer so much of the same content that I'm quite content with only one.  360 was there first, so until PS3 gets more exclusive content that drives me, I just don't need one.  But then, I wouldn't ever say I hate PS3 or anything like that.

Phished0ne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By Phished0ne

I love my ps3, and i cant imagine getting another system(besides maybe a wii). The money issue was hard to get past, but the MGS bundle made that easier.

I am hyped for Killzone 2, and Resistance 2, and the sony press conf. only made me feel happier with my choice.

as for it being harder to develop for, has anyone came out and said that besides Gabe Newell?

NeoTheta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By NeoTheta

I honestly haven't seen that much console flaming on this site yet. But if there is any, it's just cuz of all the recent E3 stuff. All console-centric events stir up trouble.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Demyx

I don't think the PS3's online is that limited, at least not any more.

And I have no problem with the 360s controls.

Avatar image for silentassasin5k
Silentassasin5k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silentassasin5k

Both systems are absolutely fantastic and I can't say that I hate either of them. I think the 360 is loved more because it has had an extra year to get support. I'm sure that things will even out in a year or two.

Hell_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hell_Dude

I have 2 360 (non have had RROD). I don't hate ps3. I'm thinking of getting one...when it will not cost 600$. I bought my first 360 for $600, but then I really, really wanted one. Though, I don't agree with you about the controller. It's the best one I have ever used.

brydello

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By brydello

I love all my consoles... some more than others though.

Right now my PS3 is really only being used as a media center.

Soulless

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Soulless

I actually like the 360's controller better than the PS3's. 

I hate the Dualshock's design.  It just feels clunky and akward to me.

wyld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wyld

I hate the PS3 based on the fact that I do not have one and cannot afford one dammit!

pplus0440

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By pplus0440

xbox live is so amazing thats why. i get my music for my zune, games, and all my friends have it. and later this year you get netflix! then you add in all the games xbox has that ps3 doesnt. ps3 has mgs4 thats about it. i have a wii and a 360, bc you need mario.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Randolph

I do not think the 360 controller "sucks" outside racing and FPS, at all.  I have no problem playing my JRPGs on it, Ninja Gaiden, or Devil May Cry 4.  GTA4 also controls with no issue.  The only genre it sucks for is 2-D fighters, because of the d-pad, it's perfectly suitable for all other genres common to a console.  The PS3 pad is not so good for FPS, but is fine with absolutely everything else, so I'd say they're pretty even in that regard.

FuzzyFace56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FuzzyFace56

Its more or less that they do the same thing...yet the 360 has a bigger library and all my gamer friends have a 360, and live is alil better. I will most likely buy a PS3 in a few years just to buy MGS4 and such, when everything is in the bargain bin. Thats what i did last gen...I stuck with PS2 and bought a xbox and gamcube when they were at there cheapest (end of there life cycle) and bought all the AAA games.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By samcotts

Owning all 'next-gen' consoles, my PS3 definitely gets played the most. I think it's the beautiful cross interface that wins me over.

I think the main reason why the 360 is the more popular console is simply because it was released first, and most hardcore gamers would of wanted a 'next-gen' console as soon as possible, and it was the only one on the market at the time. Hopefully the PS4 and Xbox 3 get released near enough at the same time next next generation. Personally though, having the year gap between them made it easier for me to get more money to buy the PS3, as then I don't have to decide which one to get first.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By OmegaPirate

The wii is little more than an edutainment tool  - nintendo have really lost their way lately tbh - but thats a different matter

The xbox is (apparently, i aint a dev xD) easier to develop for by far - And Its List of AAA titles and exclusives is indeed impressive

However after E3 this year i kinda cudnt help but shake my head a little - its as if 2 years down the line microsoft have decided they amde the wrong console and decided to just take everything that Nintendo and sony had and then ram it into the 360.

The 'mii-likes' they have 'created' are basically wii characters  - the fact that the new menu's are manouvered with a motion sensitive controller - is basically a wii mote

The previously crowded Dashboard has been streamlined and reduced into a reverse XMB (the xmb sections go left to right and content up and down - The new dashboard Sections go up and down and content goes left and right)

And their 'big announcement' was they had payed a lot of money to get a previous sony exclusive 'ported' across while it goes through english translation

As far as the upcoming late 2008/09 goes im kinda more excited on the ps3 side of things

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By greennoodles

Um, I think the opinion is shifting to 50/50. Personally I prefer my 360, but by no means do I hate PS3, and I think that is one thing about this gen, there are 2 great systems that get great games and people seem more excepting of that. Oh, and there is the Wii...... F Nintendo.

greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By greennoodles
OmegaPirate said:
"

The 'mii-likes' they have 'created' are basically wii characters  - the fact that the new menu's are manouvered with a motion sensitive controller - is basically a wii mote

"
Sorry for the second post, but huh? Motion controller? That wasn't announced.
Valkyr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#22  Edited By Valkyr

Positives
360: Great game library, multiplatforms games usually have better framerate, best online service price, a lot of JRPG's coming
Ps3: Free online service, built in Blu-ray, a lot of first and second party exclusives coming , the best controller, almost 0 failure rate

Negatives
360:RRoD,no  interchangeable hard drive, controller is not so comfortable and has no motion sensing
Ps3: Lacks AAA exclusives leaving apart MGS4, software developing cost is nuts because of the Cell's crazy architecture

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate
greennoodles said:
"OmegaPirate said:
"

"
Sorry for the second post, but huh? Motion controller? That wasn't announced.
"

Nah it wasnt announced at E3 itself, there was loads off stuff floating round on the internet 'Pre-e3'

Obviously the jury's out on whether it actually will come into existance but heres a couple of links surrounding it ^_^

http://uk.gizmodo.com/2008/07/11/motus_shows_off_xbox_360_motio.html

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=189501

Dont get me wrong if they do it and do it well it can only do good for the 360, nothign wrong with innovation!!! - as long as you werent taking that innovation and calling it a gimmick the week before ;)
shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By shadowjak

In all honesty, the hate for the PS3 is not because it is a bad system. It's just that Sony had alot of expectations fro mthe success of the PS2, 360 fans who migrated from the PS2 were disapointed at the PS3 for not being anywhere near the PS2. But we didn't fret, our old friend Mr. 360 came over and comforted us, gave us hot chocolate along with a few laughs, and made us rely on it.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By OmegaPirate

Never gave me hot chocolate =o

Does my 360 love you more than me ????

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By shadowjak
OmegaPirate said:
"Never gave me hot chocolate =o

Does my 360 love you more than me ????
"

I'm sorry to say, but yes, yes it does. We had a very special night together where the hot chocolate wasn't the only thing I enjoyed with whip cream.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By OmegaPirate

:'(

*scurries into corner and comfort eats*

shadowjak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By shadowjak
OmegaPirate said:
":'(

*scurries into corner and comfort eats*
"
Lmao, the cupcakes and alcohol won't help as much as it seems... cuz we did on those two D:
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By OmegaPirate

xD

Lets end this before the thread is hi-jacked and then locked deleted and we are cast from this new eden ^_^

To be honest i have seen little to NO fanboy raging argument hating on giantbomb as of yet - and I like it :)

Whether that will stay the same as more and more people join remains to be seen.

get2sammyb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By get2sammyb

Yeah as far as I'm aware this site is actually really brilliant so far for not having a bunch of console flaming and fanboys. I even wondered if the "coloured" in names would cause some of that but no - I'm yet to see many fanboys.

unclejohnny79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By unclejohnny79

who knows? i think there both equal systems tbh

Rex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Rex

Well 360 has a greater number of quality games than the PS3. While that owes to the fact 360 has been out longer, I still prefer 360 for that reason.

Falkien

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#33  Edited By Falkien
GMhawk said:
"Both systems have there positives and negatives.  Here are some of them (IMO):

360 Positives: XBox Live (best online console service), several awesome shooters, very good 3rd party support, Achievement Points
360 Negatives: RROD's (everyone I know has had atleast one, some up to 4 times), 30% reported overall failure rate, controller sucks for anything other than FPS or racing games, clunky Marketplace interface

PS3 Positives: Free online gaming w/ PSN, best overall controller, most 1st party titles (Nintendo arguably has the best), 3% reported failure rate, very intuitive and streamlined OS (XMB)
Negatives: not as many quality FPS games, very limited online service, more expensive console, harder to develop for

So what's the deal?  It seems most gamers are way to into the 360 and hate too much on the PS3.  What's up with that?"

360 is getting out matched.. that is why they keep dropping prices.. And PS3 has better quality of games then ever before. We have both perfect games.. Metal Gear Solid 4 and Grand Theft Auto 4..
Bodycount

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34  Edited By Bodycount

360 gets all the love because it has the best games, plain and simple. PS3 gets no love because its more expensive than 360, has only 1 good game on it and loses any other game worth a damn. PS3 doesn't really do a single thing better than 360, its just a waste.

samcotts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By samcotts

Great PS3 games:
Warhawk
Metal Gear Solid 4
Ratchet & Clank: ToD
Uncharted
Resistance

Great 360 games:
Gears of War
Halo 3
Mass Effect
Dead Rising
Forza 2

Pretty even exclusives list in my opinion. Just to prove the fanboys wrong. Apologies if I've missed one or two games.

Thunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Thunder

Right now the 360 just has more games then the PS3 but right now thats looking like it could change by the holiday season because it sounds like they are trying to focus on the games now

HoldSteady828

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By HoldSteady828

XB360 has just had such a lead in software exclusives and prying exclusives away from Sony Playstation. Making that jump to the next generation a year early has certainly paid huge dividends for them.

I think serious gamers will invest in all three of the platforms, however, and it makes me wonder how long microsoft's lead in mind and marketshare over Sony will last.

Bluemouth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Bluemouth
Bodycount said:
"360 gets all the love because it has the best games, plain and simple. PS3 gets no love because its more expensive than 360, has only 1 good game on it and loses any other game worth a damn. PS3 doesn't really do a single thing better than 360, its just a waste.
"
Oh man, you are annoying.

Microsoft's future is very sad, I have to say. They're starting to run as dry as the Wii. The machine obviously hasn't been designed for longevity. I mean, I only got mine less than a month ago and, coming from the PS3, expected a relaxing play session of Uno the first time I turned it on. But I was met with BURGGGHHHHH as if the thing was about to explode and the noise just kept on going. My PS3 has never made a noise and I've had that for nearly a year. I'm not surprised the 360 implodes so often.

Most of the games are multi-platform. I see only Gears of War 2, which is graphically in the past, and Banjo & Kazooie. Both I will get and love and so be it. But multi-platforms go on my PS3 because it's a more relaxing, sophisticated playing experience. Yes, that's the word. Sony has a sophisticated, professional console. The company has my full resect. And disc changes no longer exist!

Also, I'm amazed everyone happily pays for online gaming. Maybe it's just here in Australia, but it's something like $50. Compared to free with Sony, and of course the new upgrade ...
BlackWaterCO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39  Edited By BlackWaterCO

360 > PS3 in my opinion

PSN: MercenaryDaddy if you got a issue with that

I have a PS3 for the bad looking Killzone 2 and LBP...maybe mag and Agency

Everything else is xbox

creamstatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By creamstatic
GMhawk said:
"Both systems have there positives and negatives.  Here are some of them (IMO):

So what's the deal?  It seems most gamers are way to into the 360 and hate too much on the PS3.  What's up with that?"
woa woa woa woa woa.... *Sigh* here are my mods to your pros/cons

XBOX 360 PRO: the controller is awesome for most things, inc. with LIVE ARCADE and RPGS, like Lost Odyssey. "AHEM".

XBOX 360 NEGs: They need a classic controller, for demanding LIVE ARCADE games. The New Street fighter needs ona those for sure.
Multiplayer is not free, and you need to CALL THE COMPANY to stop your Gold Membership.... That's gotta change.

PS TRIPLE NEGs: As for the PS3 controller, its the WORST compared to PS1 and PS2. Especially paying that much and gettin no fukin rumble.
 The Trigger buttons are far to slippery feeling, unless you have fat fingers (nothing against fat people), and the point of full trigger activation needs to be re-adjusted.
It's also one big motha f****. I swear it must be bigger than the 360.

PS TRIPLE PROs: PSN games, especially, Pixel Junk games, It has GranTurismo 5.
Stunning visuals, but then again, its all about art direction, so minus that one, cause Star Ocean: The Last Hope is looking like chocolate on pussy.

You've probably been around this site more than me to see the "bitterness towards ps3" I think if it is as bad as your making it seem, its probably cause they couldnt afford one, and if they could, they're not the ZEN MASTERS ps3 owners should be, cause that's one console you need patience to love more.

FaintDeftone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By FaintDeftone

I own both and I love both. I have to admit, I play my 360 much more, but the PS3 is a fantastic system and I look forward to more games coming out for it.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By heretrix

People seem to enjoy the games and the online intergration more. I love the PS3 hardware, but its game library leaves me cold.It's starting to get better, but it has a long way to go.

Avatar image for unpleasant_assailant
Unpleasant_Assailant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think either system sucks, but one of your con's I disagree with. I actually prefer the Xbox 360 controller over the PS3, maybe because I have bigger hands and the PS3 controller seems too small.

evilhomer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By evilhomer

It's because the Wii has become too boring and easy to hate on. 

Svenddv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Svenddv

No offense or anything but sony blew it with their ps3. I remember being super super excited about the ps3 before they revamped the controller with motion control and the ridiculous pricetag (at the time then). I agree though that its a 10-year plan and that it'll have its glory moment, just not right now. The only thing I'd consider getting a ps3 for is Metal Gear Solid 4 because the other games look so meh, I mean honestly resistance 2? sorry but it has generic written all over it.. like they were making the game and one of the guys was like "wait.. wha.. s..scripted event? AWESOME! I MUST PUT THIS EVERYWHERE IN THE GAME AND MAKE IT LOOK REALLY CLUNKY". 

So my conclusion for this e3 was that theres a shitload of awesome games coming out and it doesnt matter what console you have since most of the 'big' games coming out are multi platform (fallout3, deadspace, left4dead)

Etc:
RROD : not such a big deal. I've had my 360 almost a year now with no problems what-so-ever and even if it would 'RROD' they added a 3 year warrenty.
Live : yeah I know paying for online services is lame but its a great service none-the-less and sometimes I wish they would allow third-party servers but you cant have it all.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By pause422

Both have things to offer,and cons that we would love to see gone obviously. But it doesn't come down to online service now(because they are almost equal since the latest ps3 update.)

Also look at the lineup of great games this year for both platforms(including multiplatform) PS3-Resistance 2,Killzone 2,LittleBigPlanet,Motorstorm Pacific Rift,Socom confrontation.

360- Fable 2,Gears of War 2,Left4dead(also on pc,but no ps3),Rock Band 2(timed exclusive),      Multiplatform-Project Origin,Fallout 3,Saint's Row 2,Mercenaries 2, Brother's in Arms:Hell's Highway, Dead Space,Farcry 2,Mirror's Edge,Prince of Persia,..... There are plenty more as well.

end message is that both consoles are great,and each have a few great looking exclusives,but the long list of quality games this year falls under multiplatform,so everyone should be happy with their PS3 or 360,or both,I sure am.

OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By OmegaPirate
pause422 said:
"Both have things to offer,and cons that we would love to see gone obviously. But it doesn't come down to online service now(because they are almost equal since the latest ps3 update.)

Also look at the lineup of great games this year for both platforms(including multiplatform) PS3-Resistance 2,Killzone 2,LittleBigPlanet,Motorstorm Pacific Rift,Socom confrontation.

360- Fable 2,Gears of War 2,Left4dead(also on pc,but no ps3),Rock Band 2(timed exclusive),      Multiplatform-Project Origin,Fallout 3,Saint's Row 2,Mercenaries 2, Brother's in Arms:Hell's Highway, Dead Space,Farcry 2,Mirror's Edge,Prince of Persia,..... There are plenty more as well.

end message is that both consoles are great,and each have a few great looking exclusives,but the long list of quality games this year falls under multiplatform,so everyone should be happy with their PS3 or 360,or both,I sure am.
"

Agreed :)
chazer127

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By chazer127

I like both consols the same,

tmontana1004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By tmontana1004

The PS3 has the better controller? Oh no...

Manks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#50  Edited By Manks

To to the OP:

I actually haven't had the RROD on my 360 and had mine since launch.
And IMO, the 360 has the best overall controller.  The only flaw is its D-pad and I could careless about motion support.  I have my Wii for that.

I don't hate the PS3 though, my respect for it is actually increasing because of its new games coming, Home (hopefully), price dropping, etc.