#1 Edited by stealydan (12 posts) -

So my 360 controller wireless receiver decided to stop working and I need a replacement. Has anyone tried the knockoff ones that are all over the Internet? I'd like to have an official Microsoft one but I can't find anywhere to get one that I can be sure is legit.

Alternatively, should I just get a PS4 or Xbone controller and roll with that? Assuming the PC support works well, I like the feel of both current gen pads.

#2 Edited by Corevi (4768 posts) -

I love the PS4 controller for PC but you need an external program to use it with most games (due to it not supporting Xinput). The Xbox One controller also works really well if you prefer the ergonomics on that.

#3 Posted by WickedFather (1733 posts) -

I've got a knockoff one and it works great. It's been plugged in for months and hasn't burnt out and I use the xbox pad as a mouse with xpadder.

I had trouble getting the drivers to work at first and couldn't get my pad to sync but it turned out that the pad was broken. If you install the genuine microsoft drivers when you plug in the fake unit you can then choose the microsoft drivers for it. Or if you want to complicate things find out the USB id of the fake device and edit the .inf file and change/add its id.

#4 Posted by esuing (3 posts) -

I have one of the knock-off ones and it works fine AFTER you screw around with the drivers for a bit. It's nothing that takes more than 5 minutes if you know what you're doing, but the genuine MS one doesn't require that. If you plan on plugging it in and leaving it there, then I say go for the knock-off brand and do a google search for how to get it working with the right drivers.

I tend to move my between two PCs in my house and unfortunately, it often requires me to remap the correct drivers, so it's kind of a pain. In retrospect, I should have just plunked down the cash for the genuine thing.... but if you are just plugging it into one PC and will leave it there, you should be fine. BTW - I'm using mine with Win 7 Ultimate.

#5 Posted by personandstuff (110 posts) -

@stealydan: I had a bit of trouble with one because I am on windows 8. There are instructions online, which are pretty simple driver installation instructions. But what those instructions fail to mention is that, if you put it in the wrong usb slot, you will be unable to install the correct driver.

#6 Posted by ll_Exile_ll (1925 posts) -

I'll echo what others have had said. I have a knock off one as well and it has worked perfectly after initially having to futz around with driver stuff to get it installed correctly, which took all of 5 minutes.

#7 Edited by DwigtK (261 posts) -
#9 Posted by stealydan (12 posts) -

Thanks for the responses everyone! I'm not afraid of manually installing drivers so it looks like my problem is solved.

Not really sure why my current receiver no longer wants to function, though. It was working fine on Windows 8.1/64 until my SSD took a crap and I swapped it for another using a fresh Windows install. Now the receiver won't power on (no light when plugged into USB). The timing of these two components failing implies the events are related, but I don't see how.

#10 Posted by tread311 (357 posts) -

There's a fuse issue with those receivers that can be fixed with some very simple soldering. There are videos and article out there showing you how, I was able to fix mine a few years ago. I think Vinny went through this at some point as well.

#11 Posted by pinner458 (847 posts) -

Kind of on-topic here, does anyone know about latency problems when it comes to 3rd party WIRED 360 controllers when it comes to PC gaming? I have one with no actual branding whatsoever, its just blank all over and its fine on my 360 but when i use it on my PC I notice about a quarter second delay... I definitely wouldn't recommend going 3rd party for a wireless device anyway.

#12 Posted by GiantLizardKing (557 posts) -

Kind of on-topic here, does anyone know about latency problems when it comes to 3rd party WIRED 360 controllers when it comes to PC gaming? I have one with no actual branding whatsoever, its just blank all over and its fine on my 360 but when i use it on my PC I notice about a quarter second delay... I definitely wouldn't recommend going 3rd party for a wireless device anyway.

What game? I was noticing it bad with Rogue Legacy but weirdly the issue was fixed by playing in windowed mode.

#13 Edited by Duxa (167 posts) -

I have both a knock off one and a genuine one. Knock off one works well; however its range is MUCH MUCH shorter than genuine one. If you plan for the signal to go through walls do NOT get the knock off. From my testing, knock off works great when distance is under 10 feet. Genuine one goes up to 60 feet, and through walls without any problems.

Knock off one also gets progressively less range the more controllers you have hooked up to it. If you are playing split screen (I was playing Awesomnaughts piped from Steam to TV) and the range on it was less than 10 feet with 3 controllers hooked up. Genuine one worked equally good (60+ feet) with one and 4 controllers.

PS - you can get a genuine one from ebay for under $15

#14 Edited by billymagnum (841 posts) -

@stealydan said:

So my 360 controller wireless receiver decided to stop working and I need a replacement. Has anyone tried the knockoff ones that are all over the Internet? I'd like to have an official Microsoft one but I can't find anywhere to get one that I can be sure is legit.

Alternatively, should I just get a PS4 or Xbone controller and roll with that? Assuming the PC support works well, I like the feel of both current gen pads.

i went and tried this one:

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B005F1ZUU4/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(one of the fulfilled by amazons ones)

it works perfectly

#15 Edited by pinner458 (847 posts) -

@giantlizardking: Rogue Legacy is fine for me. It seems pretty random generally...

#16 Posted by stealydan (12 posts) -

@tread311: I'm totally going to try that. Didn't know it was a not uncommon problem.

All the responses here have washed away any concerns about a less than legit unit, thanks again.

#17 Posted by I_Stay_Puft (3787 posts) -

I have one of the knockoffs it's working all you gotta be concerned about is getting the correct drivers installed on it cause the cd didn't work. Should be able to manually install them.