3D Console Gaming, useless feature for most people

Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Echelon730

3D televisions are new and pricy, to make things worse is the fact that they need glasses that are very expensive as well. The average cost of a 3D TV is around $1800, with glasses costing around $150. After tax we are seeing a minimum of $2,000. (USD).  The adoption rate of HD was slow because of the economy but now HDTVs are now close to the same percentage of SDTVs in the general public.  

The reason why I bring all this up is the fact that PS3 and the 360 (to a lesser) are starting to push 3D hard core and I feel that it is a waste of money for them because such a small percentage of people can take advantage of it. Is this another example of the gaming industry getting ahead of itself?  

Will you spend $2,000(USD) on a 3D tv just for gaming RIGHT NOW? (not in a few years, has to be right now)

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By FluxWaveZ
Other thread

It's never going to be mandatory.  This technology isn't accessible to everyone as several have eye problems, preventing them from experiencing the 3D.  If you don't like it, ignore the feature and just make as if it doesn't exist.  It's not for you and that's fine, just leave it be.  Leave those who actually want to play with 3D play it.  To each his own.  It's just like enabling or disabling rumble in video games: not everyone likes rumble so not everyone leaves it on.  It's not mandatory

And no, I wouldn't spend money on a 3D enabled television right now as I don't even have an HDTV, at the moment.
Echelon730

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Echelon730
@FluxWaveZ:  

I am asking "is it a waste of time for the console manufacturers, or developers right now?"
kishan6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By kishan6
@FluxWaveZ said:
" Other thread

It's never going to be mandatory.  This technology isn't accessible to everyone as several have eye problems, preventing them from experiencing the 3D.  If you don't like it, ignore the feature and just make as if it doesn't exist.  It's not for you and that's fine, just leave it be.  Leave those who actually want to play with 3D play it.  To each his own.  It's just like enabling or disabling rumble in video games: not everyone likes rumble so not everyone leaves it on.  It's not mandatory

And no, I wouldn't spend money on a 3D enabled television right now as I don't even have an HDTV, at the moment. "
same here i feel urpain
guiseppe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By guiseppe

Agreed, it's just too soon to push this technology.

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@Echelon730: It's not really a waste, as it's a progression in technology.  Every piece of technology has had its beginnings.  If we always said "This is a waste of time and resources, let's not continue" to every new piece of tech that was being developed, we'd be not as advanced, in that domain, as we are today.  With time comes refinement, and with refinement comes the betterment of the 3D tech.

We don't actually know how much time, resources or funds are necessary for the implementation of 3D in video games.  We don't know if it really takes away from other aspects of the game (except for cases where, when 3D is enabled, the frames per second need to be doubled).
niamahai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By niamahai

I could go on the net and find the exact same thing people said about HD TV and Blu Ray

But y'know what. I actually agree. 3D gaming is a waste of time now (developers wise).

What we're seeing now are the publisher that are trying to claim "FIRST!" on the 3D gaming "feature".
The devs are merely following orders, hopefully the core content does not suffer from it

Maybe on the next gen of consoles, where hopefully everybody already adopts 3D TVs. I.. still haven't adopt LED TV yet =(

Warfare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By Warfare

3D makes my head hurt .  

ozzdog12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By ozzdog12
@Echelon730 said:
" @FluxWaveZ:   I am asking "is it a waste of time for the console manufacturers, or developers right now?" "
It will sell, because it's the new thing, but at this moment, Im not buying this whole 3D phase, it happens once a decade since the 80's
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MikkaQ

I think my HDTV cost more than that, but no, we'd have no use for one. I'm not a big fan of the effect. 

FluxWaveZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By FluxWaveZ
@niamahai said:
" Maybe on the next gen of consoles, where hopefully everybody already adopts 3D TVs. I.. still haven't adopt LED TV yet =( "
The percentage of HDTVs in American households is at around 53% now.  That's only an 18% increase in 2 years (35% in 2008).  The next generation of consoles would need to be pretty far off for the adoption rate of 3DTVs to be high enough for a big investment.
MysteriousBob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By MysteriousBob

There are about four million threads on this.

JonathanMoore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By JonathanMoore

It will never be mandatory no.