3D Games.

Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bob_Toeback

I thought of this while reading the "What was your first video game" Thread. What was it like when you first played 3D games? I remember playing Donkey Kong 64 in multiplayer with the blue walk way above the water, and it was very disorienting, kinda anyways, I couldnt figure out where I was ever lol. i'd just like to know if anyone else felt this way?

Diamond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Diamond

My early 3d games were :

Hard Drivin, in arcades and on Lynx
Virtuality VR system (the mech game)
Virtua Racing
Star Fox

Shortly thereafter I got my first IBM PC, so I was able to play older 3D games like Stunts and Starglider 2.

I have a feeling I played some 3D game before Hard Drivin, but I can't be sure.  edit : oh maybe Star Wars arcade?

edit : I was always a fan of 3D games.  I fantasized about future 3d games back in 1989 where they could make every blade of grass polygonal (I imagine what looked like a green spiked bed instead of modern texture mesh grass).  Never had problems adapting to 3D or VR.

Virtuality VR (2 minutes into video) :

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f
deactivated-5ffc9b0923f9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think my first 3d game was probably either Super Mario 64 or Goldeneye. It was definitely weird. I remember just hanging out in front of Peach's castle checking out the side of hills or looking really close at the waterfall, because all the graphics would clip really weird.

On a side note, I'm glad the DS has kept 2D gaming alive.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain

I'd had limited experiences playing Playstation, as it was my fathers, i'd seen and had brief plays on things like destruction derby, etc. And of course i'd played StarWing (StarFox) on my SNES.

But nothing truly prepared me for seeing Turok for the first time. I remember, poor as we were we rented an N64 from the shop across the road the day it came out (or close to) with Turok and Mario 64. I swear to god I thought it was REAL! Thats how impressive it was back then. Ok so it doesn't look anything close to real, but put next to Ballz 3D, StarFox and other similar games it was like seeing the light for the first time.

I spent the next few years gradually growing more and more bitter and cynical as those impressive graphics became more and more important, even overtaking smooth gameplay as being the most important feature of a game for far too many people.

delta_ass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

User Lists: 7

#5  Edited By delta_ass

Quake was my full 3D game. It was great, except I still played with just a keyboard, so aiming up and down was somewhat trying.

Bob_Toeback

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Bob_Toeback
The_A_Drain said:
I'd had limited experiences playing Playstation, as it was my fathers, i'd seen and had brief plays on things like ... [more]

Most certainly, it shouldnt be the main focus, because it doesnt really have to do with playing the game, it should only be as good as it can.