Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By Choi

Hi everyone! 

Finally, with so much going on, I managed to finish the Sackboy model. I'll probably add some normal and bump maps and other stuff once I learn about them =)   

Without further ado- here's  my baby:       

8.663 polygons and only 6 triangles on the body part.

Since my last blog, a lot of things have happened. I quit my job, I'm fixing some PCs here and there to bring some money in and I'm looking for a new job. 
 I didn't have much time to study and work on this  tho, so sorry for waiting so long. 

With that being said, let us dissect the process of  making this stunning, beautiful and breath taking peace of art =) 

The Zipper

The easiest to make and most realistic part of the model.  
      Wire tool
      Wire tool

The teeth were the trickiest part. I ended up messing around with the wire deformation tool. It looks a little something like this: 
The curve you see in the image is a traced 3d curve drawn on the sackboys chest. With the wire tool, I wrapped  the teeth to the curve like a cloth. I think it ended up pretty good.

Step by step zipper
 Step by step zipper

The zipper proper was really fun to do, just to see how you can make cool stuff with the basic of tools. Only poly primitives, boolean operations and extrude were used. 

Hands

Unlike the zipper, hands were NOT a fun thing to do! I lost about 3 days (about 15 h) over thinking, complicating and going back and forth between Zbrush and Maya to get the right topology.  
Now that I think about it- this looks like a great start of a brand new character. E-DE from New Vegas with ARMS!
Now that I think about it- this looks like a great start of a brand new character. E-DE from New Vegas with ARMS!

Imagine looking at this for 3 days.   And this is just 1 arm. I went through 4 iterations.
 Imagine looking at this for 3 days.   And this is just 1 arm. I went through 4 iterations.

The catch is, the base I used is made out of (Z) spheres. BAD IDEA! It looks pretty good and clean looking it in Zbrush (left image), but the topology (especially the palm part) is F-ed up!  (right image)
I tried it about 4 times and saw I needed to take another approach. 
In the end, I did it from the ground up in Maya with the simplest of tools as basic as possible. Only primitives and extrudes, just like the zipper.  After I divided the polys to get a better resolution of the hand, and stitched it to the body, it looked great.

Go Figure -.-
 Go Figure -.-

The final part was stitching the arms and legs to the body which was surprisingly easy and painless.   
No Caption Provided

Ok guys, let me know what you think. I'm really eager to start rigging it and animating, but I'm aware it still needs details like stitches and bump/normal maps to make him textured like a sack. 

Comments and advices on: 
  • which direction this blog should go in (what to change, format, more picture, less pictures, more video etc.)
  • what would you like to see me do next (in this case rigging and animating or detailing and texturing)
  • tips and tricks from you guys who do this better then me
are much appreciated. 

Thanks for reading, 
Peace! 

P.S. you can check the 360 angle video playblast on my youtube channel here. (go give thumb up bitches!) 
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Choi

Hi everyone! 

Finally, with so much going on, I managed to finish the Sackboy model. I'll probably add some normal and bump maps and other stuff once I learn about them =)   

Without further ado- here's  my baby:       

Since my last blog, a lot of things have happened. I quit my job, I'm fixing some PCs here and there to bring some money in and I'm looking for a new job. 
 I didn't have much time to study and work on this  tho, so sorry for waiting so long. 

With that being said, let us dissect the process of  making this stunning, beautiful and breath taking peace of art =) 

The Zipper

The easiest to make and most realistic part of the model.  
      Wire tool
      Wire tool

The teeth were the trickiest part. I ended up messing around with the wire deformation tool. It looks a little something like this: 
The curve you see in the image is a traced 3d curve drawn on the sackboys chest. With the wire tool, I wrapped  the teeth to the curve like a cloth. I think it ended up pretty good.

Step by step zipper
 Step by step zipper

The zipper proper was really fun to do, just to see how you can make cool stuff with the basic of tools. Only poly primitives, boolean operations and extrude were used. 

Hands

Unlike the zipper, hands were NOT a fun thing to do! I lost about 3 days (about 15 h) over thinking, complicating and going back and forth between Zbrush and Maya to get the right topology.  

The catch is, the base I used is made out of (Z) spheres. BAD IDEA! It looks pretty good and clean looking it in Zbrush (left image), but the topology (especially the palm part) is F-ed up!  (right image)
I tried it about 4 times and saw I needed to take another approach. 
In the end, I did it from the ground up in Maya with the simplest of tools as basic as possible. Only primitives and extrudes, just like the zipper.  After I divided the polys to get a better resolution of the hand, and stitched it to the body, it looked great.

Go Figure -.-
 Go Figure -.-

The final part was stitching the arms and legs to the body which was surprisingly easy and painless.   
No Caption Provided

Ok guys, let me know what you think. I'm really eager to start rigging it and animating, but I'm aware it still needs details like stitches and bump/normal maps to make him textured like a sack. 

Comments and advices on: 
  • which direction this blog should go in (what to change, format, more picture, less pictures, more video etc.)
  • what would you like to see me do next (in this case rigging and animating or detailing and texturing)
  • tips and tricks from you guys who do this better then me
are much appreciated. 

Thanks for reading, 
Peace! 

P.S. you can check the 360 angle video playblast on my youtube channel here. (go give thumb up bitches!) 
Jambones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2  Edited By Jambones

I had a bash at 3D stuff a while ago and it was a blast. I totally understand about staring at a hand for days (or an ear!) but I found plenty of tutorials online for simplifying the process and that helped dramatically. 

The only thing I can suggest is to keep the topology as simple as possible before applying subsurfacing, etc: it helps to keep nasty creases and anomalies during animation, etc. 

Sorry I can't be of more help, but so far Sackboy is looking good!

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Choi
@Jambones: Thanks man, glad to have you on for the ride!
Tiwi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By Tiwi

Great work! good going!

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By armaan8014

Awesome work! I'm gonna try my hand at this someday, but the part about staring at a hand for days scares me!

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, why are triangles bad? What do you have against Pythagoras, you bastard!?

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Choi
@tiwi: Thanks! I most certainly will. 

@armaan8014:
It's not that bad. It's my slow thought  process. Learning to look outside the box, that stuff. I came to the idea of working it simply from scratch while I was sleeping. I had the full idea in my head, and made it in about 20 minutes. Don't be intimidated, you feel like a champ when you finally nail it!
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Choi
@Video_Game_King: hahaha. Well, while modeling you're suppose to use quads, maybe a triangle here and there if you can't help it. So, less triangles, better and cleaner topology and mesh. At least, that's what I think it is =)
Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Kjellm87

Very nice, I'm also into the 3D making lately. Been working on 3D max for 3 months or so, I hear Maya is pretty similar 
Some of my stuff:  

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
tebbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10  Edited By tebbit
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, why are triangles bad? What do you have against Pythagoras, you bastard!? "
Wait, what have you got... for Pythagoras? Are you a sympathiser!? :O
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Choi
@Kjellm87: Hey, those are great! It looks so much better when you render everything. Is that the Zelda: Spirit Tracks train? I think I see a triforce in there.  
 Those aren't textured, only colored, right? Did you mess around with texturing and rigging yet?
Check some of the other stuff I did l on my youtube channel if you like. 
Avatar image for deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335
deactivated-5fb7c57ae2335

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dope dude, looks a lot better than when you first started.

Kjellm87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Kjellm87
@Choi said:
" @Kjellm87: Hey, those are great! It looks so much better when you render everything. Is that the Zelda: Spirit Tracks train? I think I see a triforce in there.  
 Those aren't textured, only colored, right? Did you mess around with texturing and rigging yet?
Check some of the other stuff I did l on my youtube channel if you like.  "
Ya, starting to getting hang of texturing, UVW mapping modifier was a huge help. The Sprit train is in "Ink and paint" material which I love and my 3D teacher hates :P
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#14  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Tebbit: 

Well, he was friends with a zombie dog. You don't fuck with a guy who can add up dead friend and dog.
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Choi
@Kjellm87: Yeah, it's a bit different in Maya, something in the line of "toon colors", but I absolutely adore and love the cel-shading look.
RobotHamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#16  Edited By RobotHamster

@Choi:  
It's pretty good I like what you did with it.   

The stuff that does stick out to me is that there seems to be a lot of wasted geometry especially on the zipper parts.  And if your going to use a normal map then you could definitely reduce everything to about the density of the legs.   

The arms are definitely off too, you should try adjusting them to look more like your reference image.   

Zshperes would have done pretty good for the hands but that's more advanced I guess.   

Since you have zbrush are you going to be sculpting a hi-res version of your model in zbrush and transfering maps in maya?  A great program to use for normal and spec maps is crazy bump, its free so and very easy to use.   

And as for tris they're perfectly fine for modeling, depends though if your making a game model or a cinematic model, whenever a model gets into a game engine it gets triangulated anyway.  But for what your doing quads are probably best.   

Well those are some critiques, great job so far I can't wait to see it finished!

Akrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Akrid

Good job!

Hands are a lot less complicated then one might think. 

You get the poles (Five or more edges on one vertice) in the palms if you use zspheres2. If you use the original zspheres, it'll give you much better topology. They put zspheres2 in 3.5 so it's easier to visualize the shape, but the topology it gives you is crap.

Turn on Use Classic Skinning in the Adaptive Skin palette to use original zspheres (^)
 Turn on Use Classic Skinning in the Adaptive Skin palette to use original zspheres (^)

It may have been better to not use Zbrush at all in this case. Sackboy is made entirely of primitive shapes, so you can get a much cleaner topology right off the bat working in Maya.

Still though, the head, arms, and legs are seperate elements! Sackboy is weird in that you the player can animate his limbs, so his rigging isn't so much organic then it is mechanical. I think now that you know how to stitch them on, take them back off again. I think It'll be easier to texture and rig down the road. Well, I'm not sure about rigging, that's something I don't have much knowledge of.

Regardless, you're doing well, get to texturing!
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Choi
@RobotHamster said:
The stuff that does stick out to me is that there seems to be a lot of wasted geometry especially on the zipper parts.  And if your going to use a normal map then you could definitely reduce everything to about the  density of the legs.  
I expected I'll run into some problems regarding the uneven density of the geometry since I don't know what I need to keep track of for further steps. Thanks for the heads-up.

@RobotHamster said:
 Since you have zbrush are you going to be sculpting a hi-res version of your model in zbrush and transfering maps in maya?  A great program to use for normal and spec maps is crazy bump, its free so and very easy to use.   
Yeah, in most tutorials I've watched, they used Zbrushed hi-res details and imported them into low-res models in Maya via normal maps. I was thinking of making a custom alpha and make a rough sack-like feel of the model. I'm pretty confident it will work the way I want it to. Of course, expect to see it here. And thank you so much for the feedback. 
GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#19  Edited By GS_Dan

Just realised I can get 3DS Max for free because I'm at uni :3

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Choi
@Akrid: A thanks so much! I was aware of what you were talking about  before but I couldn't find it for the life of me! This helps a lot!
Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Choi
GS_Dan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#22  Edited By GS_Dan
@Choi:  Am doing, clearing my hard drive out of hideously large Premiere Pro files first haha
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#23  Edited By iam3green

that is pretty cool man. pretty cool stuff in there.

blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#24  Edited By blackbird415
@Choi: NICE! You did a really good job there. Im getting into 3d modeling. I mainly have been a photoshop 2d texture/imagry person, but I want to get into modelling
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Jeust

Awesome work man! Now you have to give it the final touches and present your masterpiece. Well done sir!

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Choi
@blackbird415: NICE! Now I know you're the person to ask when I come some texturing photoshop problems! 

@Jeust: Thx my man!
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#27  Edited By Jeust
@Choi said:
" @blackbird415: NICE! Now I know you're the person to ask when I come some texturing photoshop problems! 

@Jeust: Thx my man! "
Thank you for showing your great talent. :) 
blackbird415

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By blackbird415
@Choi: yeah, ive been real busy with school lately but if you need any help with photoshop work then dont hesitate to ask Ill be glad to help
artofwar420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By artofwar420

I'm so out of practice at this point. Congrats bro, that takes dedication.

TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Very cool, dude. Good job. I'm impressed.

Demokk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Demokk

Nice job!

I am into 3D Modeling too (been using Maya lately, but I've tried my hand at Max before). It hasn't been long since I started seriously (A year or two), so most of the stuff I've done has been focused on inorganic modeling for video games (low-poly, high-poly and stuff).

I would like to see you texture the model next. I have always found it amazing how textures can make a model come alive :P

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By OllyOxenFree

Man I really want to get into 3D modeling but I'm afraid that staring at all of these lines, squares, triangles, rectangles, etc. will make me go mad.

Good job!

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Choi
@Demokk: Thank you, that means a lot from a duder who does this kind of stuff. Ok, I'll hold  of the rigging and animating and texture and render a good Tpose first. 

@TheGreatGuero:

Well aren't you a pretentious prick! Who the hell you think you are saying you're impressed?! You're better than me? Is that it? Do you do stuff like this?  hahaha, just joking man, thanks for the compliment! Stay for the ride and follow if you like. ; ) 

@artofwar420:

Dedication? Not really, not to this point anyway. This is just the beginning. Thanks! 

@blackbird415:

I'll hold on to those words just so you know. I'll cash them in one day. Thanks for the support! 
@Jeust: Not talent man! Just some time and effort. 

Edit: @OllyOxenFree: Nah man, especially modeling. It's hella rewarding, because you see your hard work almost immediately. Listen to some music or some podcasts while you work, watch tutorials to make it easy on your self, go for it- it's great! 
timmysprinkles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#34  Edited By timmysprinkles

That looks fantastic. You should definitely rig the model.

Choi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Choi
@timmysprinkles: Thanks! Follow and get on the party train =) 
I'll do EVERYTHING to the model- it's only the matter of order. I'll figure it out.