#1 Posted by Camorak (19 posts) -

I want to buy a portable games console, but I don't know whether to get a 3DS, a 3DS XL or a Vita. What is your opinion on them, and which one would you buy? What are the merits and negatives of each? Also, if you think I should swing the 3DS way, then should I get a 3DS or an XL? Why? Thanks for taking time out of your day to help me with my dilemma. Also: money is not a problem.

#2 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19375 posts) -

It's all about the games. So look at the games that are out and that are going to be out for both systems and decide based on that.

#3 Posted by evanbower (1216 posts) -
@Camorak I'd go 3DS. The vita doesn't have a whole lot of worthwhile games this far, and since it hasn't been selling very well in any territory, it isn't likely that developers are going to put any resources into it. The 3DS definitely has some games that need to be played (Mario 3D Land, Pushmo) and has a lot more on the horizon. Also, I'd go for the XL, just for the better battery life, and because it fixes a design issue with the original that over time scratched the top screen.
#4 Edited by Camorak (19 posts) -

Thanks, both of these posts have been useful. Looking online so far I'd only seen people preaching how amazing the PSVita's technical specs are and how it's going t get Bioshock and Call of Duty and Assains Creed etc. Is any of that true? Or wishful thinking?

#5 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@Camorak: Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty have Vita titles on the way (October 30th and November 11th), Bioshock is a maybe. You can basically search for upcoming PS Vita games on Google.

#6 Posted by AsperGamer (161 posts) -

For me, I go 3DSXL. It has more games and even more coming - that I like. I can't speak for you though.

#7 Posted by Wong_Fei_Hung (642 posts) -

3DS XL offers a lot more currently.

#9 Posted by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@Camorak: Well, without knowing what games you like, the Vita does offer full console game types that the 3DS can't without compromising the experience, including open world (Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, Gravity Rush), shooters (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Unit 13), racing (Need for Speed: Most Wanted), MMORPGs (Phantasy Star Online 2, Samurai & Dragons) etc.

There's also LittleBigPlanet with a constant supply of new user generated content, cross play titles that let you play online against PS3 players (PlayStation All-Stars, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault), high profile downloadables (Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage), and very promising upcoming exclusives like Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary.

Else, the Vita has

• Access to the existing PSP, PSOne, and PlayStation Minis catalogs.
  • PlayStation Plus. Instant Game Collection coming in November, same subscription covers both Vita and PS3.
  • PlayStation Mobile. Makes it as easy for indie devs to publish on the Vita as it is on the iPhone.
  • All retail games available as digital downloads on day of release.

It's also a well built and comfortable device to use, so you might want to try it out against the 3DS in a store to see which fits your hands the best.

#10 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7617 posts) -

It really depends what you're looking for, but the 3DS already offers a pretty strong library of games, with more on the way and it has the added advantage of being backwards compatible with the DS, which had an incredible library too. If you didn't own one, the 3DS is easily the best choice.

The Vita seems like a decent machine, but it currently lacks much of anything worth playing, there's too many games that are just watered down PS3 ports and it's still pretty expensive. Give it another year and it should be cheaper and will either have better games or be completely dead. Support for it is bad and that seems to be getting worse, rather than better.

#11 Posted by MideonNViscera (2257 posts) -

Don't know a thing about the Vita but I love the shit out of my 3DS XL.

#12 Edited by mgray5159 (53 posts) -

Vita has so many hidden costs and the 3DS XL is pretty sweet. I wish Nintendo would have gone for a better screen instead of one with 3D. I'm glad that the 3DS has backwards compatability because I got a DS late in the cycle and I am still buying DS games that I haven't played.

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (19044 posts) -

3DS XL.

#14 Posted by NegativeCero (3024 posts) -

Personally the only game coming out for Vita that I'm interested in is Dragon's Crown. That compared to the 3DS, which will get Layton, Phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter and Fire Emblem makes the decision pretty easy. The only other thing the Vita has that interests me is the backlog of PS1 and PSP games.

#15 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

I'll echo what others said, it really depends on the content that interests you. Both plats has a strong lineup of games to choose from you can't lose either way depending on your preference for specific genres.

#16 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

@Camorak: Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty have Vita titles on the way (October 30th and November 11th), Bioshock is a maybe. You can basically search for upcoming PS Vita games on Google.

I doubt it's a maybe. Didn't Ken Levine say the team were working on it and they were excited about the Vita? I'm betting on it coming, maybe Fall next year.

@Camorak: I think gave enough reason to get a Vita. There's a good library of games, especially first party titles. Plus, Tearaway on it's own is a game I'd buy a Vita to play.

#17 Edited by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

@awesomeusername said:

@BraveToaster said:

I doubt it's a maybe. Didn't Ken Levine say the team were working on it and they were excited about the Vita? I'm betting on it coming, maybe Fall next year.

Last I heard, development was put on hold, and I haven't seen any updates about it online. Who knows, it might release when you bet it does.

#18 Posted by awesomeusername (4230 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

Last I heard, development was put on hold, and I haven't seen any updates about it online. Who knows, it might release when you bet it does.

I haven't seen anything since it was announced. Probably because Infinite was delayed.

#19 Posted by fox01313 (5088 posts) -

It's pretty much limited to which handheld by the one that has the games you want as well as what your friends are playing for any multiplayer or trading games.

#20 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@Camorak: Well, without knowing what games you like, the Vita does offer full console game types that the 3DS can't without compromising the experience, including open world (Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation, Gravity Rush), shooters (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Unit 13), racing (Need for Speed: Most Wanted), MMORPGs (Phantasy Star Online 2, Samurai & Dragons) etc.

There's also LittleBigPlanet with a constant supply of new user generated content, cross play titles that let you play online against PS3 players (PlayStation All-Stars, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault), high profile downloadables (Sound Shapes, Retro City Rampage), and very promising upcoming exclusives like Tearaway and Killzone Mercenary.

Else, the Vita has

• Access to the existing PSP, PSOne, and PlayStation Minis catalogs.
  • PlayStation Plus. Instant Game Collection coming in November, same subscription covers both Vita and PS3.
  • PlayStation Mobile. Makes it as easy for indie devs to publish on the Vita as it is on the iPhone.
  • All retail games available as digital downloads on day of release.

It's also a well built and comfortable device to use, so you might want to try it out against the 3DS in a store to see which fits your hands the best.

None of those games sound interesting at all. Ports and unreleased games aren't my cup of tea but to each his own I guess. I already have a PS3 for that.

I'd suggest getting a 3DS if you like playing actual video games. You can even play the huge DS library if you're interested in those. The DS is without a doubt, the best handheld ever anyways.

#21 Posted by MikkaQ (10326 posts) -

I bought both of them, and it's a weird difference to split. Like the Vita is so very obviously the superior hardware in almost every respect, other than the crappy UI. Like it's a great design, the touch feels like an iPhone, so that's good, it's got two joysticks and the screen looks awesome.

Saying that, there's jack shit to play, really. I got Little Big Planet and other than maybe one or two games, nothing's interesting me. The 3DS has a much better selection of interesting titles, even though it's not a long list, it's a hell of a lot longer than the Vita's. And it's a lot cheaper, which is a big plus.

#22 Posted by alexl86 (630 posts) -

It seems like the 3DS has better games, while the Vita has a few nifty extras, like Plus and whatnot. 3DS and Vita seem to mirror what happened with DS and PSP, where the DS got games crafted for handhelds, while PSP got smaller ports of console games. Overall better playing, unique games (but limited in scope) vs. bigger, recognicable games (that played better on a console).

Not to throw a wrench into this whole thing, but you can get a DS for a song now and there are plenty of excellent game for it(and a lot of not excellent games).

#23 Edited by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1732 posts) -
@Camorak:  http://i.imgur.com/vofhb.jpg

This will help you, on the vita side of things. A list of recommended currently released games, and most of the notable upcoming ones.  (Right click -> open for full size)
#24 Posted by Psykhophear (941 posts) -

I faced the same situation like you did before but in the end, I decided to go with the Vita because of the following reasons:

• Fabulous graphics
  • The ability to play PS One Classics games on the go
  • PS Store is awesome (I've never liked Nintendo's eShop for its poor design and region locked bullcrap)
  • Having a second analog stick makes a huge difference

It's actually a matter of preference and what kind of games you want to play.

#25 Posted by egg (1469 posts) -

@Camorak said:

Also: money is not a problem.

get Vita!

For the record I don't own either Vita or 3DS. But I like PSP way more than DS so my opinion on Vita/3DS is based purely on that.

#26 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1594 posts) -

3DS, it's not even a contest. The 3DS has games, the Vita does not.

#27 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

The best portable games are on the DS. The 3DS can play DS games. You are guaranteed future Nintendo games and big Japanese publishers seem to be getting in bed with Nintendo. It's selling really well and has a future with lots of guaranteed support. It's the safest bet by a huge margin.

And I say that as someone who hates the design of the 3DS, and thinks the Vita is way better hardware.

#28 Posted by supamon (1334 posts) -

I think if you were to make a decision then base that decision on the games you want to play. I plan on getting a 3DS XL solely because of monster hunter 4. The deal is that much sweeter for me with games like ace attorney and other quirky 3DS only titles that I've always had some interest in.

#29 Posted by ptys (1984 posts) -

Get the new blue Vita with Persona 4 Golden and Muramasa: The Demon Blade, when they are released.

#30 Posted by audioBusting (1638 posts) -

The StreetPass stuff on the 3DS is actually really fun in a weird way. And I like how the 3DS fits into pockets better. I think the choice depends on your personal taste on portable games and your situation (where you will play the games, how often and how long you go out everyday etc.)

#31 Posted by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@mgray5159 said:

Vita has so many hidden costs

Really? Would you mind listing these numerous "hidden costs"? Because with there being plenty of bundles which net you a game and memory card with your Vita, and Plus coming in November, all I'm seeing is added value.

@Deusx: Well, it is kinda hard to suggest games for people whose tastes you don't know... Racing games in general do nothing for me, yet for others the idea of having a fully featured Need For Speed game on the go is a system seller.

(And, since there always some confusion about this - Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and LittleBigPlanet are not ports, they're new games exclusively for the Vita. And Sound Shapes isn't a port either, Vita was the lead development platform, the PS3 version is the port.)

#32 Posted by Deusx (1910 posts) -

@BlackLagoon said:

@mgray5159 said:

Vita has so many hidden costs

Really? Would you mind listing these numerous "hidden costs"? Because with there being plenty of bundles which net you a game and memory card with your Vita, and Plus coming in November, all I'm seeing is added value.

@Deusx: Well, it is kinda hard to suggest games for people whose tastes you don't know... Racing games in general do nothing for me, yet for others the idea of having a fully featured Need For Speed game on the go is a system seller.

(And, since there always some confusion about this - Uncharted, Assassin's Creed and LittleBigPlanet are not ports, they're new games exclusively for the Vita. And Sound Shapes isn't a port either, Vita was the lead development platform, the PS3 version is the port.)

Those prices are fucking ridiculous.

Regarding your reply to me, It's the same thing man, at least for Uncharted and LBP. I can play bigger and better versions on the PS3. Also, how can you say the PS3 version is the port? What the fuck man that's where they came first... The same thing can be said about every Mario game on the 3DS and that is why I never mention it as a system seller. If the best you can give me is a bunch of games I already played like 3 times before and Sound Shapes (which I already have on PS3) then I must say the Vita is the least interesting console I've ever laid my eyes upon. I hope it gets better in the future but right now, its just not good. Also, if you name a person who wants a Vita to play Need for Speed I don't want to be his/her friend.

#33 Posted by Snail (8646 posts) -

Vita right now has like, one good exclusive, which would be LittleBigPlanet Vita. Go with the 3DS, they have a very appealing selection of retail and downloadable titles at this point. The Vita hasn't been on the market for even a year yet though, so give it some more time to blossom, then look at the catalog and features it has to often and consider buying one.

@BlackLagoon said:

What's "Instant Game Collection"?

#34 Posted by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@Deusx said:

Regarding your reply to me, It's the same thing man, at least for Uncharted and LBP. I can play bigger and better versions on the PS3. Also, how can you say the PS3 version is the port? What the fuck man that's where they came first... The same thing can be said about every Mario game on the 3DS and that is why I never mention it as a system seller.

But "system seller" is not a matter of opinion, yours or others, it's a matter of sales figures. Mario dominates the 3DS sales charts. Uncharted too, while certainly not a portable system seller in the league of handheld Mario, is the best selling Vita title so far. And for me personally, the games being portable adds value in and of itself - playing Golden Abyss outside in the summer weather gave me an experience that would have been problematic at best to replicate with my PS3.

(As for Sound Shapes, it was originally supposed to be a Vita exclusive. The PS3 version was added later in development, so technically it is actually a port.)

(Oh, and the level creator in LBP Vita is far more advanced than in the PS3 versions, to the point of being a fully fledged game creator with persistence between levels.)

@Deusx said:

If the best you can give me is a bunch of games I already played like 3 times before and Sound Shapes (which I already have on PS3) then I must say the Vita is the least interesting console I've ever laid my eyes upon.

I haven't actually made any game suggestions to you - I have no idea what so ever as to which games you like... aside from apparently not portable racing games. I was making a general comment in case anyone took your blanket statement about "ports and unreleased games" at its face value, and assumed these three were actually just ports rather than new games. I've seen it happen several times with Liberation.

#35 Edited by BlackLagoon (1470 posts) -

@Snail said:

What's "Instant Game Collection"?

It's the term Sony uses for the relaunched PlayStation Plus service, and what they've promised for the Vita. 10+ games available for free for as long as you remain a subscriber, with new content rotating in at various intervals. Currently the EU Plus lineup is (US tends to have a fewer full retail games):

+ themes, avatars, various discounts. Resident Evil 5 Gold and Bulletstorm will be replacing something later in the month.

Now, I wouldn't expect the Vita list to be quite as big, but some launch retail games, a few downloadables, some PSP titles, seem likely.

#36 Posted by Snail (8646 posts) -

@BlackLagoon: The shit thing about that list is that most of those games have been released years ago. For that reason, I already own all of the games in that list that I ever had a real interest in (except for Retro/Grade, which is pretty new). There's a few that I maybe would try out, out of curiosity, if I was bored or something?

Yeah, that list doesn't sell me at all.

#37 Edited by Superkenon (1486 posts) -

I'm getting a 3DS XL for sure, before too long, simply for the games series(eseses) that I follow. I'm into Professor Layton, and Ace Attorney, both of which have new games coming out for it soon -- and even a baffling crossover -- but I'll easily purchase the system for the upcoming Fire Emblem and Etrian Odyssey installments alone. In addition, I'm one who enjoys Nintendo's titles -- I know I'll pick up the Ocarina of Time port, the Kid Icarus, perhaps even the two Mario titles, and certainly the Paper Mario due out soon. Shin Megami Tensei IV is on the horizon, which certainly intrigues. Oh yeah, and I'll definitely be picking up Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward. And a goddamn Animal Crossing, probably. ...Am I really going to get that? ...Yeah, probably. God... damn... augh...

ANYWAY, I feel like I'm forgetting something or three, but that list is more than enough to justify a 3DS for me. Maybe those agree with your tastes, maybe not! Obviously the important thing here is the games, so take a look at what's flying around both handhelds and see what's more exciting to you. Godspeed!!

EDIT: Also, probably worth mentioning the backwards-compatibility. If you never had a DS, I'd say a 3DS is well, well worth getting just to have access to that whole library. If the types of games I listed appeal to you, that is -- 'cause there's a lot of that there, and more.

#38 Posted by Camorak (19 posts) -

That's one of my problems, I would like being able to play the games Vita has to offer and what Nintendo has, but I think I understand what people are saying about how the PSVita is kind of getting watered down versions of console games. A lot more, well, most games on the 3DS are made specifically for the 3DS and make better use of its portable features... I do agree with your taste in games and pretty much all of the games you listed I would be interested in purchasing. I just feel that... what the PSVita has to offer I could find something bigger and to an extent 'better' on my PC or consoles; without the portability of course, but I guess that's the price you pay. I actually own a DS and a PSP, but now I think I'm going to take the 3DS XL route. NOw I just gotta convince my friends to go that way as well :)

I really appreciate everything you have said and you provided a very convincing argument... but like many people have said, you've got to go where the games you like are... and I think for me the 3DS edges out the Vita. I'm really going to miss the Metal Gear Solids and the Final Fantasy's and some of the PS Classics, but I guess I'll just have to settle for what my PS3 and PC can offer in those departments, thanks.

3DS XL MASTER RACE signing out.