Posted by Baltimore (278 posts) -

With Nintendo finally pulling back the curtain on its new handheld, the 3DS, the question must be asked.  Does it cost too much?  Yes the device is launching in Japan first for what will most likely be a higher price than what it will sell for in the USA. But even if it launches for $250.00 USD that is far outside the "impulse buy" range for most Americans.

If the 3DS launches in the USA for $300.00 that price is the same as a 32GB Ipod Touch.  Needless to say, the Ipod Touch is by far Nintendo's biggest competition.  But for the price, what do consumers get?  With the Ipod, they get thousands of games and applications and most for less than $5.00. With the 3DS, they get 3D in their hands, Mario, Zelda and a host of other games.  But we have no idea what those games will cost.  Also, it has been announced that the 3DS will have a virtual console.  That's great!

Right now it is just too hard to tell if the 3DS is worth it.  Only a few games have been announced but no one will know what the system can do until they get their hands on it come Feb 26, 2010 in Japan.  Here's hoping the price tag is worth it.

#1 Posted by Baltimore (278 posts) -

With Nintendo finally pulling back the curtain on its new handheld, the 3DS, the question must be asked.  Does it cost too much?  Yes the device is launching in Japan first for what will most likely be a higher price than what it will sell for in the USA. But even if it launches for $250.00 USD that is far outside the "impulse buy" range for most Americans.

If the 3DS launches in the USA for $300.00 that price is the same as a 32GB Ipod Touch.  Needless to say, the Ipod Touch is by far Nintendo's biggest competition.  But for the price, what do consumers get?  With the Ipod, they get thousands of games and applications and most for less than $5.00. With the 3DS, they get 3D in their hands, Mario, Zelda and a host of other games.  But we have no idea what those games will cost.  Also, it has been announced that the 3DS will have a virtual console.  That's great!

Right now it is just too hard to tell if the 3DS is worth it.  Only a few games have been announced but no one will know what the system can do until they get their hands on it come Feb 26, 2010 in Japan.  Here's hoping the price tag is worth it.

#2 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -

I'm sure the 3DS will sell like gangbusters because that's just what happens when they release things.

I personally have very little interest in the currently announced game line-up, have even less interest in paying 40 bucks for these games and have EVEN LESS interest in paying 300 bucks for the system to play these games.

I'm actually super confused about all this. I like 3D, but almost everybody else on this planet has been bitching and whining about 3D movies and games since it started rolling out but for some reason Nintendo goes 3D and suddenly 3D is super awesome?

- Do people really feel that strongly about wearing glasses?
- The increased 15 dollar price point on XBLA/PSN titles is out-of-line, but paying 30-40 for similar quality and scope on the 3DS (or DS) is fine?
- People lost their minds over the price of the PSP but 300 dollars is cool for the 3DS because "the tech is expensive"?
- Games like Halo: Reach and God of War 3 are "more of the same" but people are chomping at the bit to re-buy Metal Gear Snake Eater, or the latest same-as-the-last-one Zelda title?

I'll be the first to admit that Nintendo has not moved in the direction I would've liked them to over the last decade and maybe I have a stick up my ass because of this, but when I try to take a level headed look at these things, I still don't get it. Am I missing something or are Nintendo just subject to a completely different set of rules?

#3 Posted by Gaff (1884 posts) -
@ProfessorEss: It becomes even weirder when you can use the 3DS slider to turn 3D off... completely. 

Also, you take point: I heard a legion of Nintendo fanboys outside. :P
#4 Edited by ProfessorEss (7518 posts) -
@Gaff said:

Also, you take point: I heard a legion of Nintendo fanboys outside. :P "

What those guys? They don't scare me.
I'm only worried by people who can make legitimate points that make me question my opinions.

They typically just spit sales figured and wax on about legacy. :)
#5 Posted by Jolt92 (1579 posts) -
@Baltimore:

Only a few games announced? Dude what are you talking about?

There's around 9 from Nintendo alone. That's like 2/3 of my current DS library or something, it's crazy imo.

#6 Edited by sixpin (1309 posts) -

I'm sure the system will sell well. Even Nintendo's weakest products don't really fail these days. I don't think I'll be spending $250 or $300 on one, but I'm also tired of buying new models of their handhelds. I also don't play a lot of handhelds anymore. Personally it isn't a great fit. Now outside of my own interests, it still seems like a hard sell. Here are my thoughts: 

1) We are in tough economic times. 
2) Seems pricey for a gadget that targets mostly kids. 
3) It doesn't matter how "new" or "trendy" your tech is, $300 is still $300 

But all of that may not even matter. The Move is pretty expensive and appears to be selling well despite it seeming to be way more superfluous than the 3DS does. Not to mention the 3DS has a much better software line-up.

#7 Edited by Gaff (1884 posts) -
@Jolt92: You mean like this? 

I'll be the first to say that that is an impressive line-up, but... $/€ 300 is... a bit much? 

Also, I know that the price outside of Japan is still up in the air, so get ready with the salt and pepper for when I eat my words. 

Also, I get that the 3DS / DS is almost more powerful than the N64, Nintendo. Now can you please stop porting 10 year old games to it? 

EDIT: Also... That's one sexy loading station.
#8 Posted by Jolt92 (1579 posts) -
@sixpin:

I will definitely be buying one, but I'm pretty paranoid. What if those assholes will release a new model right after I buy the new one? 
It always happens.

And yeah, shit seems kinda pricey. Think I'll buy mine from US if the currency exchange rate is then what it is today, will save me a pretty penny.
I'm eagerly awaiting the new Paper Mario. 

iPod doesn't have that Nintendo magic, I use my iPhone for portable gaming more than my DS these days. But if I actually wanted to play a real game and not a 5 minute timewaster I'd go with the DS or PSP instead of an Apple device.

#9 Posted by Jolt92 (1579 posts) -
@Gaff:

It's an amazing line up. And the price is a bit much, maybe, I haven't tried it yet so I don't know. And hopefully it will go down when an actual US/EU press release is unleashed upon us.

Seems like the graphical power is more up along the lines of PS2/Gamecube (maybe even Wii, sigh). Looks really nice, I'm interested in seeing how good the PSP2 looks and if they bring any changes to the portable market.

Also, the online capabilities is something I'm quite interested in.

#10 Posted by mosdl (3259 posts) -

IPod touch? The games aren't event comparable between the platforms..

#11 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@Baltimore said:
" Needless to say, the Ipod Touch is by far Nintendo's biggest competition. "
The hell?  I'm pretty sure even Nintendo has said they're not going after the same market at all.  They're not competition. 

The 3DS will sell a lot of units, even at that price.  People have a tendency of thinking that most people who would buy the system are parents who would do so for their kids, but that's not the case.  Most people who would buy a 3DS are probably over 18 and would do so for themselves.  Of course, it's true that one could also get a PS3/Xbox 360 for that price.
#12 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -
@Baltimore said:
"If the 3DS launches in the USA for $300.00 that price is the same as a 32GB Ipod Touch.  Needless to say, the Ipod Touch is by far Nintendo's biggest competition."
... no.
#13 Posted by Gaff (1884 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: What Nintendo says doesn't necessarily translate into actions. Let's frame the question like this: 

You're going on vacation and you're only allowed to take 1 electronic gaming device with you. PSP, DS or iPod Touch? 

As someone who has (at some point in time) owned all three of them: 

I ONLY HAVE A LIMITED AMOUNT OF POCKETS!!! 

Sony, Nintendo and Apple are basically fighting for pocket space. Speaking for myself, the less equipment I have to drag around, the better. A separate camera vs a phone with a built in camera? The phone wins.
#14 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@Gaff: True, but for the phone aspect, that plays on your values.  Nintendo's really just going for video games first, everything else second.  They're not necessarily aiming for a media centric device, like even SONY attempted with the original PSP.  In that sense, people wouldn't be getting a 3DS because they wanted to have a book reader, a phone, an MP3 playing device and all of that jazz in a single device like an iPhone; they'd be getting the 3DS because they want to play some relatively awesome video games on what's literally the best handheld that has ever been released on a technical standpoint. 

It's just that $300 threshold combined with the fact that you're paying that price for video games instead of what could be judged as a useful handheld device like the iPhone that could make the potential audience of the 3DS look for something else of the same sort.
#15 Posted by WOBAG (121 posts) -

I really want one, its not too much money for me, but its anyone's guess how it will impact its sales. 

If as Nintendo have hinted its going to be supply constrained due to the screens, then there's no reason for them to NOT sell it at a price that frightens off some people. 

Personally Id pay at least $400 for a 3DSXL.

#16 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -
@Gaff: 

That's why you buy one of those DS purse things. It holds your DS, 9 games, and a bunch of other shit.
#17 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19388 posts) -
@wobag said:
" Personally Id pay at least $400 for a 3DSXL. "
Shhhhhhhhhh...
#18 Posted by Gaff (1884 posts) -
@Video_Game_King: @FluxWaveZ: Tue, it entirely depends on what priorities you set. Games first, movies and music second? Hi DS! Movies and music and games? Hmm, iPod Touch meet PSP, PSP, meet iPod Touch. Again, it entirely depends on what you as a more or less tech savvy person want and how much baggage you want to drag with you. As someone who carries their equipment in their pants' pockets... Yeah, they're fighting for space! *drumroll* 

Also (depending on how far you travel)... Europe uses 220V, Type C/E/F sockets. My family in the "old country" D/A/E/C apparently, the Us uses socket A... AHHHH!
#19 Posted by Baltimore (278 posts) -

For all of those saying that Apple is not a competitor.  It doesn't matter if Apple is not "in the same market as Nintendo and Sony", every Ipod Touch purchased is potentially money that is not being spent on a DS or a PSP.  Apple is taking money away from the big two, plain and simple.

#20 Posted by j_drace (353 posts) -

Apple is a competitor because the iPod Touch is a gaming device.  They are starting to emphasize that even more now with the GameCenter app.  The price at first for the 3DS does seem kind of high, but after further inspection it makes sense.  I'm glad Nintendo is finally using good hardware.  I will definitely be buying one.

#21 Posted by joobz (36 posts) -
@Gaff: I actually like the slider idea.  3D can be fun or headache inducing.  It all depends on who made the content and to what extent.  I think it's a perfectly logical addition.  Like having contrast and brightness settings on a TV. 
#22 Posted by Halberdierv2 (1877 posts) -

the thing costs as much as a PS3. and I'm already trying to get a PS3. so that's $600. but from now, according to another user, if you save $15 A WEEK, that will be enough.

#23 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -

If it is $250+, I just might hold off until the price drops a tad. But I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say that I need SSF4 on the go.

#24 Posted by JoeyRavn (4983 posts) -
@UnsavedHero said:

" If it is $250+, I just might hold off until the price drops a tad. But I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say that I need SSF4 on the go. "

It's been "semi-confirmed" to cost $/€250. Yeah, Nintendo and their lovely $1=€1 sytem. Doesn't matter, it seems we'll all be playing on iPod Touchs by the end of the year...
#25 Posted by TheUnsavedHero (1247 posts) -
@JoeyRavn: Man, what a bummer. I'll probably get it anyway. My original DS Lite was free so I'll probably play that for a while longer. Thanks for the link.
#26 Posted by Animasta (14723 posts) -
@JoeyRavn said:
" @UnsavedHero said:

" If it is $250+, I just might hold off until the price drops a tad. But I'd be lying to myself if I didn't say that I need SSF4 on the go. "

It's been "semi-confirmed" to cost $/€250. Yeah, Nintendo and their lovely $1=€1 sytem. Doesn't matter, it seems we'll all be playing on iPod Touchs by the end of the year... "
yeah it's not like there are people who aren't completely enamored with ipod's or whatever

I know I'll probably get it, even if it's 300
#27 Posted by Gaff (1884 posts) -

As reported at Bloomberg, Nintendo CEO Satoru Iwata explained the price decision during an analysts meeting yesterday. Someone suggested that the system's price tag of ¥25,000 yen might be on the high side. Iwata responded that the the price was set by considering a number of factors, including reactions to the system's E3 reveal.

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2010/09/30/3ds_price/  (via @Dtoid)

Great, just... great. Can we just criticize every electronic device from now on, guys?
#28 Posted by Gamer_152 (14109 posts) -

I don't think we can lump the iPod Touch into the same category as other handheld games consoles, the way that people play DS games is very different to the way that people play iPod and iPhone games. With iPod/iPhone titles most people are looking for very simplistic games, often to alleviate a few minutes of boredom riding the bus or waiting for a friend to show up somewhere, with the 3DS you're looking for games that you are going to be playing for hours on end, people aren't going to consider the new iPod Touch a substitute for the 3DS, nor the 3DS a substitute for the iPod Touch. You say you recognise that Apple and Nintendo are not competitors but that any money spent on an iPod Touch is money that could be spent on a 3DS, however this argument could be made about literally any two products, it's not a proper way to look at this.

Rather than people asking themselves whether they will get a 3DS or an iPod Touch it's going to come down to people asking themselves two questions- 1. Do I want an iPod Touch? 2. Do I want a 3DS? I'm not one of the people throwing my fists in the air in an absolute rage that Nintendo are charging $300 for the product but I do think that this is a price tag which could make a lot of people think twice before getting a 3DS, especially in the case of parents buying it for their children.

#29 Posted by Jazz (2321 posts) -
@ProfessorEss said:
" I'm sure the 3DS will sell like gangbusters because that's just what happens when they release things.  I personally have very little interest in the currently announced game line-up, have even less interest in paying 40 bucks for these games and have EVEN LESS interest in paying 300 bucks for the system to play these games.  I'm actually super confused about all this. I like 3D, but almost everybody else on this planet has been bitching and whining about 3D movies and games since it started rolling out but for some reason Nintendo goes 3D and suddenly 3D is super awesome?  - Do people really feel that strongly about wearing glasses? - The increased 15 dollar price point on XBLA/PSN titles is out-of-line, but paying 30-40 for similar quality and scope on the 3DS (or DS) is fine?- People lost their minds over the price of the PSP but 300 dollars is cool for the 3DS because "the tech is expensive"? - Games like Halo: Reach and God of War 3 are "more of the same" but people are chomping at the bit to re-buy Metal Gear Snake Eater, or the latest same-as-the-last-one Zelda title?  I'll be the first to admit that Nintendo has not moved in the direction I would've liked them to over the last decade and maybe I have a stick up my ass because of this, but when I try to take a level headed look at these things, I still don't get it. Am I missing something or are Nintendo just subject to a completely different set of rules? "
really good points there. 
On a personal note, in regards to more of the same, there's a difference to being able to take a game everywhere with you as opposed to having it stuck in your living room. I don't stay very long in the same place and tend to take as little as possible with me. I much prefer handheld stuff over the major console releases, and if i can play MGS3 on the move..all the better, but I know I'm vastly in the minority.