3DS or 3DS XL

BamBamBradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By BamBamBradley

With the release of the 3DS XL looming over the horizon I've been thinking of getting a 3DS a lot and wondering if I should wait to just get the 3DS XL or just the regular 3DS?

Yalbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Yalbit

I'm in the same boat as you, I'm not sure if I should get a 3DS now or wait a couple of weeks for the XL. I haven't listened to this weeks Bombcast yet but if the guys like it I think I'll just wait.

cornbredx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#4  Edited By cornbredx

From what Jeff says, the only downside seems to be pixel density. The pixels are more obvious since the screen is just stretched.

Not that big of a deal to me. I am thinking of getting the XL when it comes out.

planetary

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By planetary

Speaking of all this, where the hell is Picross 3DS?

BamBamBradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BamBamBradley

Sounds like I'll wait the time and just get the XL and for Picross I don't even know what that is.

Avatar image for weegieanawrench
weegieanawrench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By weegieanawrench

@BamBamBradley: Say what? I'm rectifying this, now.

toowalrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By toowalrus

I don't get why you'd want the same resolution on a larger screen, so I'm going to stick to my original 3DS. I don't like to see the individual pixels, and Gerstmann is crazy.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By JCGamer

XL for me.

WightnNerdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By WightnNerdy

I kinda wish they would just make a 3DS Lite or something (basically a 3DS XL without the big screens). The original 3DS is uncomfortable to hold. It gives my cramps so bad.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By JJOR64

I say go for the XL. Bigger and better screens, better battery life, comes with a bigger SD card then the original 3DS, seems about the same size as the original 3DS when closed so putting it in your pocket or anything should still be viable. Also been hearing it's more comfortable to hold which is great news for me since I have giant man hands. I have a original 3DS and I'm still going to get an XL.

DeF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By DeF

@BamBamBradley said:

Sounds like I'll wait the time and just get the XL and for Picross I don't even know what that is.

Duder! It won DS GOTY a couple of years ago...

AndrewB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#13  Edited By AndrewB

If you've waited this long, get the XL. The only downside is that I feel like it looks ugly as sin from the outside of the clamshell, but it looks pretty great from the inside when you're actually using it. Pixel density isn't excusable, but it can be overlooked.

zyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#14  Edited By zyn

I'm still waiting for ANOTHER revision model. But if you can't wait, get XL.

Orbitz89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Orbitz89

I'd go with the XL. Seems more durable, and it doesn't have the shiny plastic.. which is a good thing in my opinion.. I wish they'd stop making consoles/handhelds with shiny plastic.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By Sooty

I wonder how DS games look on the XL.

JoeyRavn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By JoeyRavn

If you don't have a 3DS, get an XL. If you already have a 3DS, the XL is not really worth the upgrade.

So, yeah, get an XL.

PS: Mind you, the "better battery life" is just an extra half an hour, so don't expect a DS Lite-like battery life.

mtcantor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mtcantor

@Sooty said:

Bigger, I'd imagine.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Sooty

@mtcantor said:

@Sooty said:

Bigger, I'd imagine.

Yeah but they already looked pretty cruddy on the 3DS, must make some games look really poor.

bibamatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#20  Edited By bibamatt

I was all ready to shit over the XL and keep my lovely original 3DS. Then I played one in a Game store and... holy mother of god... WANT.

Get an XL.

NoobSauceG7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 15

#21  Edited By NoobSauceG7

XL easily. More battery life.

BamBamBradley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BamBamBradley

So i'll be getting a XL I have not owned a DS since the Lite first released so long ago. I'll check out the Picross video later tonight.

OllyOxenFree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By OllyOxenFree
@NuclearMusic said:

I'm new to this whole DS thing, I haven't owned a handheld since the first PSP and I'm wondering if the 3DSXL is worth making the investment into the 3DS ecosystem. Or should I wait until the next gen comes out?

If you don't mind the size of the system then sure go for it. You can even grab some regular DS games that you might have missed and play them on the XL.
kindgineer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#26  Edited By kindgineer

I would honestly wait for the 3DS XL. I purchased a DS XL a while back and loved the purchase. I don't do an amazing amount of travelling so having a bigger screen makes those couchy days a little bit more enjoyable. I would also not worry too much about the pixelization you may see as even though it is noticeable, it's not that noticeable.

Avatar image for thechronodarkness
thechronodarkness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The power was out for 2 weeks because of the storm in the east a month back. So i went out and bought a regular 3ds with kid icarus. And I will say..... I highly suggest getting the XL. I returned the 3ds, since it was just something to pass the time anyways.

Now the 3ds at walmart is 159$ right now. And you can find one for 100$ used if you want. But with the small screen, the 3d sweet spot is too short. If the systems not plugged into the wall, the brightness is definately worse than the ds lite. Even with 3d off. But the brightness goes up to ds lite levels when its plugged in to a power source.

Yes.....its 40$ more. But I HIGHLY suggest an xl. Unless you have small hands or weak arms. Then maybe not. Ccould be tiresome. But I'm a man. A big, big man who needs a manly handheld. Kid Icarus couldn't be more manly.