This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by SniperXan (233 posts) -

I have never spent too much time on 4chan, and the time I did spend on /v/ just didn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

The "chat stuff" that happened during Patrick's TEDx talk struck a nerve with me and I wanted to reach out and see if anyone can shed some light on all this for me.

I understand the internet is chuck full of asshats and the like... but what is it about 4chan that seems to concentrate all that crap into something seemingly worse. I just don't get it.

Also, why did they bound together to attack Patrick or the TEDx talk or whatever they were attacking.

Basically... whaa?

Thanks for any insight you might have :D

#2 Edited by PollySMPS (249 posts) -

"Look at how much of an asshole I can be anonymously on the internet, I sure hope somebody pays attention to it." That's really all it boils down to. It's a spectacular race to the bottom and they think that's some kind of amazing accomplishment.

#3 Edited by CaLe (4219 posts) -

I don't believe I've ever gone past the front page of 4chan. I feel I'm better off for it.

#4 Posted by JasonR86 (10003 posts) -

Because a lot of people have nothing better to do. Poor, worthless, entirely unimportant people that they are.

#5 Posted by believer258 (12701 posts) -

From my understanding, 4Chan doesn't have any moderation whatsoever and doesn't require any sort of signing up. You just make a post and no matter what you say, there won't be consequences. So the worst of the worst can go there and do whatever they want without worrying about a mod going "whoa, stop, we don't allow that shit around here". It's internet anarchy.

I've only been there a few times myself, mostly out of curiosity, and it was pure madness. Maybe I didn't spend enough time there to "get it", but it was not an especially pleasant place of the internet to be. However, pointing this out in a very public way is like poking a beehive. It's like the whole community can't stand for people to say "You guys need to grow up".

#6 Posted by Milkman (17844 posts) -

4chan is even more anonymous than the rest of the internet so when kids want to go to a place and say stupider shit than they normally say on the internet, they go there. As for why they hate Patrick, I don't know. He wrote an article about sexism once so I guess they didn't like that.

#7 Edited by Yummylee (23197 posts) -

4chan (specifically their b and v boards from what I've seen) is the internet's very own Hive of Scum and Villainy amongst the Hives of Scum and Villainy.

#8 Edited by Boboblaw (383 posts) -

They attacked Patrick because they really dislike him. They think he's a hipster and that he ruined giantbomb by "bringing his agenda to it" I.e. talking about sexism, liking Indy games etc

A lot of 4chan isnt as bad as people think. However /v/ is just a boiling pot/cauldron of hatred

#9 Edited by thatdutchguy (1294 posts) -

What is 4chan ? Sounds like a bunch of kids hating and complaining about everything.

#10 Posted by yesac2004 (149 posts) -

Can you shed some light on what happened to Patrick?

#11 Posted by Milkman (17844 posts) -

Can you shed some light on what happened to Patrick?

4chan (I guess /v/ to be more specific) had a thread about Patrick's TedX talk. They organized to all go into the live chat and just post awful shit to "ruin it."

#12 Edited by Itwastuesday (1051 posts) -

i think it's great that there are people trying to bring down scoops, cause dude's unshakable

#13 Posted by SniperXan (233 posts) -

Thanks for the feedback guys :D also makes me super proud to be here as part of this community. You all are (mostly) pretty awesome. *feel free to now pat yourself on the back for exactly 5 seconds... now*

#14 Edited by MB (13931 posts) -

There's already a huge discussion about this in the existing topic about the TED talk. We really, really don't need multiple topics about that shithole 4chan here. Thanks.