#1 Edited by Matthew (1914 posts) -

Update - Current Member Status

Everything below the dotted livne was told to us nearly a year ago. I'll go ahead and keep the below there to compare and contrast what has happened over that amount of time. In bullet format, because people like bullets.

******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Videos in the link.

Also, there's a new podcast up with Jeff Ryan and Dave talking all things membership. I'll listen to it now and take notes and put'em here throughout.

• Wings and Halo parts of the avatar was going to be part of a thanks-for-subscribing little distinction, but now it's going to be a medal instead, as seen in the screenshot below. - 2:10
  • Why are we doing this membership program - 4:30
  1. for us to stay truly truly truly independent the best way for us is to at least get a portion of our revenue from our user-base - dave 5.10
  2. I would rather be in business with our users. I couldn't think of a more awesome business partner to have than people who use the site because we all have the same interests in mind - ryan 5.55
  • What are some of these features going to be 7.05
  1. rebuilt the entire site to be HTML 5 compatible for mobile friendliness for each Whiskey site
  2. monthly and annual membership
  3. yearly account you get a t-shirt and no ads 9.20
  4. Jeff's impression of NBC dot com - 9.46
  5. help us make more money so we can make more shenanigans - ryan 12.50
  6. I bought a webcam, I don't know why ... I will do something dumb with it eventually - jeff 13.26
  7. every video on the site (all whiskey media sites) is re-encoded to 720p - 15.20
  8. everything is going from an flv to a mp4/h.264 version, so you are now able to download'em to your hard drive - 18.03
  9. day 1, you can now download the entire ER if you need, and that goes for all the sites - 18.51
  10. I would expect to pay 3 4 5000 dollars a month for that kind of service - ryan 19.30
  • what is happening to the podcasts - 21.00
  1. the bombcast is now being cut into two parts...same amount of time, but just categorized into two parts
  2. the full two hours will only be available to subscribers, HOWEVER, that first hour will still be free to everyone - ryan 25.53
  3. in that first week, that full two hours of the bombcast will only be available to members. However, that following week, we will make that free to everyone. yes, that 2nd hour will be put up - ryan 26.50
  4. and to be very clear...we have no plans to do this around any of our QLs or any of our regular coverage content - dave 29.03
  5. NOTE - the full 'cast will be available to all users 1 week after initial release. they will make all crucial topics heard in the 1st hour to the best of their abilities.
  • Fridays - 31.50
  1. toying with the idea of doing a friday live show - 32.00
  2. we really want to do something on fridays thats a full Whiskey thing, not just giantbomb
  • Recap - 35.10
  1. monthly membership 5$ per month,
  2. hd video, mobile site, cool medal on community avatar, full 2 hour bombcast access, friday show, a pony (YOU WILL NOT GET A PONY), Jeff will want an 8-ball jacket if you sign up for a monthly or a yearly membership
  3. This is for all the sites. Every single Whiskey site. no ads on cocaine mountain dot com
  4. Yearly 50$ all of monthly features, plus no ads, and a sickass t-shirt
  • Unified log-ins ~ Multipass - 40.00
  1. It's completely free to get a multipass

Free

• Access our suite of premium Web Sites
  • Limited profile abilities

Monthly - 4.95

• HD Video
  • Premium profile features and content
  • HTML 5 based mobile site
  • Exclusive Friday live show

Yearly - 49.95

• Everything in the monthly
  • No Ads
  • A custom T-shirt
  • 10$ in savings
#2 Posted by LiquidPrince (16106 posts) -

Hmmm...

#3 Posted by JJWeatherman (14562 posts) -

Oh snap. That's kinda expensive. :(

#4 Edited by Damien (1384 posts) -

Interesting.  Prob won't get it though.

After thinking this over a bit, I'd honestly rather see more ads.  I had/have absolutely no problems with ads.

#5 Posted by CharlesAlanRatliff (5456 posts) -

Sounds good to me. I want it noooooooooow! >:(

#6 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Uhh....

#7 Posted by Diamond (8634 posts) -

I want to see the features...  where is this?

#8 Posted by LiquidSwords (2738 posts) -

10 pages of rage!!!

#9 Posted by Evil_Alaska (294 posts) -

I was thinking it was going to be more expensive. Where and when do I sign up?

#10 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

Ah, fuck it, for what this site is and what they provide, 50 a year....is kinda....hmm....let me think about this for awhile. I'll get back to you

#11 Posted by SethPhotopoulos (5359 posts) -

That is $10 cheaper to get the year long thing.

#12 Posted by Matthew (1914 posts) -
@Diamond: @Dany: @EvilHaole: Sorry, just wanted to get the picture out there before I put out the rest of the details.  You can find it all in the link to Tested in the OP.
#13 Edited by JJOR64 (19046 posts) -

I'm curious about this live Friday show thingy.

#14 Posted by Hunkulese (2832 posts) -

I'd rather just have ads.

#15 Posted by buzz_killington (3532 posts) -

$50 sounds allright. You got layaway?

#16 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1496 posts) -

I've got my cc queued, gotta support Whiskey.  If only this crap was up now

#17 Edited by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
  1. I honestly don't give a crap about ads, especially because I live in Canada and I rarely see any anyways.
  2. I won't get a "free" T-shirt because, again, I live in Canada so I would have to pay for shipping.  Which I probably won't do if it's something like $20+$.
  3. I don't care about HD video streaming; my Internet's crap anyways.
  4. I don't own a mobile phone so the mobile Internet website has no value for me.

I know there probably will be more revealed tomorrow (it's The Big Live Live Show: LIVE ) but, at this point, there's really no incentive at all for me to pay anything for a subscription.  There better be some damn good reveals for me to want to pay $50 USD for a year. 

Wonder what this Friday live show is, though...  And I also wonder what the improved profile features for paying members might be.
#18 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -
@Matthew: You could have posted the link first, you know but whatever
#19 Posted by JJOR64 (19046 posts) -
@Hunkulese said:
" I'd rather just have ads. "
I'm kinda on the same boat.  You can just use FireFox and Ad-Block Plus to get rid of the ads.
#20 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

Day one.

#21 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

That's... hrm.  What kind of t-shirt?  Giant Bomb or Whiskey Media?  T-shirt every year, or just on first purchase?

I'm trying to rationalize this as 30 dollars and a t-shirt rather than 50, because that's ... that's tough.

#22 Edited by Coombs (3449 posts) -

$50 is a little much.... 

And what are these premium profile features and content?

#23 Posted by Radar (897 posts) -

$30 too expensive for a website subscription

#24 Posted by BeachThunder (12276 posts) -

"Exclusive Friday live show"
I thought there wasn't going to be exclusive content...

#25 Posted by AlwaysBeClothing (1496 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ: $10 int'l shipping

You don't have to subscribe, site will continue to function as per usual.  Top men are still unveiling new features for everyone, single sign on is going to be great.
#26 Posted by WatanabeKazuma (989 posts) -

Very much on the fence, as long as it's not affecting what we already have I don't really see why anyone would complain. Seems like something they are just trying out at the moment.

#27 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -
@BeachThunder said:
" "Exclusive Friday live show"I thought there wasn't going to be exclusive content... "
I don't think they ever said that... at all.
#28 Posted by Animasta (14718 posts) -

gosh, that's a little high, sorry whiskey dudes :/

I'd totally just buy a t-shirt if more become available though.

#29 Posted by iloverobots (7 posts) -
@FluxWaveZ said:
"
  1. I honestly don't give a crap about ads, especially because I live in Canada and I rarely see any anyways.
  2. I won't get a "free" T-shirt because, again, I live in Canada so I would have to pay for shipping.  Which I probably won't do if it's something like $20+$.
  3. I don't care about HD video streaming; my Internet's crap anyways.
  4. I don't own a mobile phone so the mobile Internet website has no value for me.

I know there probably will be more revealed tomorrow (it's The Big Live Live Show: LIVE ) but, at this point, there's really no incentive at all for me to pay anything for a subscription.  There better be some damn good reveals for me to want to pay $50 USD for a year.  Wonder what this Friday live show is, though...  And I also wonder what the improved profile features for paying members might be. "
I'm in the exact same situation. I would pay a small fee to have my comicvine & giant bomb accounts linked though.
#30 Posted by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -

$50 was my limit, so I'm good for it.  I'm always on my mobile, and love HD.  Any other surprises should be fun.

#31 Posted by Bellum (2944 posts) -

No.

#32 Posted by Dany (7887 posts) -

That cute girl is cute, better than some dude.

#33 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4730 posts) -

If I can support these mofos in any way at all then sign me up.

#34 Posted by bizsumpark182 (361 posts) -

Hmmm, at first I thought I would be upset. But, after taking a few seconds to think about it, it really isn't that bad. Although I'm not totally sure if I will have a membership or not.

#35 Posted by cstrang (2381 posts) -

Where do I sign up?

#36 Posted by BraveToaster (12588 posts) -

Fuck that. What the fuck are these idiots thinking? I like the site, but I'm not paying $50 for this. 

#37 Edited by KaosAngel (13765 posts) -
@Axxol said:

" Fuck that. What the fuck are these idiots thinking? I like the site, but I'm not paying $50 for this.  "

...it's optional.   

EDIT:  WSJ and other news sites are just as much.
#38 Edited by bhhawks78 (1207 posts) -

Shirt to?  Fuck it I'm in.

#39 Posted by FluxWaveZ (19376 posts) -

Oh crap, and from the video, it seems they won't support Paypal initially.  Until that payment option is accepted, it's an impossibility for me to even pay for the subscription... Bummer. 

#40 Posted by Vitamin_Dei (188 posts) -

Tough sell. Much like giving money to charity, I would like to do it... but it's a difficult thing to make space for. Financially speaking. 

I'll put it on my wishlist of stuff I'd love to grab if monies were any better. But right now? Right now $15 for WoW is a tight fit. :)

#41 Posted by Broman6015 (63 posts) -

I think thats about what I expected. It is a bit high, but this "Custom t-shit" business has my attention...

#42 Posted by b33 (413 posts) -
@Axxol said:
" Fuck that. What the fuck are these idiots thinking? I like the site, but I'm not paying $50 for this.  "
Haters gonna hate.
#43 Posted by ajamafalous (12120 posts) -

That's more than I was expecting unfortunately.

#44 Posted by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

I'll definitely support Whiskey Media, and 50$ isn't too much for me. Though I won't be able to afford it for at least a couple of months.

#45 Posted by supermike6 (3605 posts) -

Sure! I'll pay it, since I don't get the ads here it's my only way to support my favourite site! $50 isn't that much.

#46 Posted by ch13696 (4582 posts) -

I support them, but what more do they want? They already have the ads. I'm sorry, I just can't pay. This is based off principal. I won't pay. Sorry guys.

#47 Posted by CL60 (16906 posts) -

Exclusive content? Disappointing.

#48 Posted by slyspider (1327 posts) -

i dont want to... done

#49 Edited by nick_verissimo (1397 posts) -

Hey, I totally get the fact that you guys are not doing this for free and seriously trying to expand and make all the content you're providing us through the Whiskey family even better, but I don't think I'd pay that much.  I respect you guys, but the one feature I'd want (the friday live show) want be of much use to me because I have no intention of being home on Friday nights.  Although, the normal community interaction part of the video was the most accurate representation of a forum post that I've ever seen.  That stupid stuff makes me want to give you guys my money, but it's tough....maybe I just won't eat for two weeks?

#50 Posted by Sorrowsan (129 posts) -

where do i sign up :)