60fps is not always better...

• 126 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for viciousbearmauling
ViciousBearMauling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Have you tried a fighting game playing below 60 frames per second? (SF4 on 3DS)

It is unplayable.

Framerate is so important, 60 fps makes any game feel better.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 0

I agree but I don't enjoy twitch action. I tend to turn sensitivity in FPS games way down so I can aim slower, not faster.

ProfessorK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I think visually, people who aren't used to visual media running at 60fps(like movies) or just high fps in general do get weirded out at first, hence the whole The Hobbit thing. Once it's the norm outside of PC gaming though it will be less of an issue.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By flasaltine

I don't know where all these consolites get the "EYE CANNOT SEE ABOVE 30FPS" argument. They have obviously not looked at any side by side comparisons. This is a popular example. Here is another, turn off the motion blur.

shinboy630

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@shinjiex said:

There is big hype about 60fps being the norm on next gen console to which it will not

most games will be running at smooth 30fps thanks to more than enough RAM which is more important above all else

You ever notice when you play COD or RAGE which run at 60fps but after awhile it just looks weird almost "cartoon like" that's cause your vision or realty does not run at 60 or more FPS instead your brain has a lot RAM if you will to keep every thing loaded up with no hiccups

Basically people forget that PS3/Xbox 360 barley peek at 30fps dropping down to 20 here and there which will not be an issue on next gen again thanks to RAM

Joke thread? Joke thread.

LotsOfZazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

...no. To all of that.

Boy, you sure sound like a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

What they said. That's not how computers/consoles/whatever works.

I do agree that 60 fps isn't always better, though. Because 120 is better! Teehee.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you need precision then 60fps is always better, in games that don't rely on twitch timing it's not that big a deal. Smooth 30fps and above is still good enough for me though, as long as it's not dipping.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nope.

Three0neFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By Three0neFive

The human mind physically can't see more than 24 FPS/720p anyway, stop being so entitled.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By pause422

@three0nefive: oh FFS, this was just stated above. You have no idea what you're talking about, stop making yourself look dumber by comments like this. Do 2 seconds of research via a google search and find out how wrong you are before posting this shit.

loopy_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

For those who think 30FPS is better than 60....

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html

The higher the frame-rate, the smoother the animation.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

The human mind physically can't see more than 24 FPS/720p anyway, stop being so entitled.

120 FPS > 60 FPS

Rick_Fingers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DrCoxWrongSong.gif

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Complaining about FPS is just about the most lame thing ever.

SpaceInsomniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjiex said:

You ever notice when you play COD or RAGE which run at 60fps but after awhile it just looks weird almost "cartoon like" that's cause your vision or realty does not run at 60 or more FPS instead your brain has a lot RAM if you will to keep every thing loaded up with no hiccups

Be honest. How high were you when you wrote this?

Seriously though, no. COD has never looked "weird" or "cartoon like." It has looked like the frame rate that ALL games should be using, though.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Boy, you sure sound like a guy who doesn't know what he's talking about.

It's because of the RAM!

Slaegar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By Slaegar
@pyrodactyl said:

The main problem with 60fps isn't ''you can't perceive it'' or even ''it takes more optimization time for the devellopers''. No, the main problem is that when you play enough games at 60fps you become a 60fps junky that needs to buy a 1500$ PC every 2 or 3 years to fuel his addiction. You become a whinning dick that can't handle a game that dips to 28fps on a few occasions often labeling it as sub 20 or single digit frame rate. 60 fps won't ever be the norm, deal with it.

I just eat ramen all day forever. Paying more for food is dumb when ramen is cheap and it is food. I don't want to become a good food junky and spend $200+ a month on things like carrots to fuel my addiction. I'll become a whining dick that can't handle a bowl of salty noodles labeling it a bowl of salty noodles or noodles with salt. 60 Radishes will never be the norm, corn meal with it.

Don't get me started on these goofballs and their premium coffee and craft beers. I just drink four lokos all day and oh god my eyes help.

I actually really like ramen and four lokos.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By tmthomsen

That is objectively wrong on so many levels.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pause422 said:

@three0nefive: oh FFS, this was just stated above. You have no idea what you're talking about, stop making yourself look dumber by comments like this. Do 2 seconds of research via a google search and find out how wrong you are before posting this shit.

He's most likely sarcastic, calm down

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@three0nefive said:

Sarcasm Filter Enabled.

chiablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There is a reason people were upset when Dark Souls for PC was locked at 30fps. 60fps, or even 120fps provides a significantly better experience if you have the hardware to back it up.

tmthomsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@tmthomsen said:
@three0nefive said:

Sarcasm Filter Enabled.

Maybe, maybe not. With posts like the one that started this thread it's hard to know anymore. I know none of the users, so I have no idea of their mental situation.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So. Much. Misinformation.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By korwin

@andorski said:

I heard that the human eye can only see frame rates greater than 24hz after looking directly into the sun for 20 minutes.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@korwin said:

@andorski said:

I heard that the human eye can only see frame rates greater than 24hz after looking directly into the sun for 20 minutes.

SO wrong. You need to dip your eyes into ice-cold water and then OC your eyes to 90Hz-120Hz. Also look out for nVidia's new tech to deal with eye-based screen tearing, eyeSync.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punctuation is not always better

RedRavN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard that if you set up your PC to cycle between 43 and 48 fps every second it actually looks like 46 fps. Thats how I have things set up when I play quake 3. But if you don't have enough RAMs you will need to upgrade your universal serial bus controller.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79  Edited By stonyman65

The main problem with 60fps isn't ''you can't perceive it'' or even ''it takes more optimization time for the devellopers''. No, the main problem is that when you play enough games at 60fps you become a 60fps junky that needs to buy a 1500$ PC every 2 or 3 years to fuel his addiction. You become a whinning dick that can't handle a game that dips to 28fps on a few occasions often labeling it as sub 20 or single digit frame rate. 60 fps won't ever be the norm, deal with it.

The problem here is that it IS the norm and always has been.

sasnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80  Edited By sasnake

I play Battlefield 3 at 120 fps on my PC and I dont see it looking cartoony. This thread sucks. You are saying that every game that runs on a high end PC at 100-120, ALL look cartoony? I doubt it.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 18

What? No. 60FPS is so much better. Seriously, find a PC game that you can get to run at 30 without forcing the framerate but will scale to 60fps as well. Play it with the settings you need to force it down to 30, with vsync. Then, play it at 60 without vsync. It's a massive difference in latency and responsiveness and that's the main reason people should be into 60-fps.

The framerate is as much about smoothness of motion and input as it is about the appearance of individual frames, as well as the responsiveness or lack of latency in input. It's why Call of Duty feels very tight and responsive where as something like GTA V on the 360 feels latent and slow and sluggish.

Also, the weird thing that people get with high framerate video? It goes away really quickly and just seems normal after a while of regular viewing.

And talking about your brain's framerate is silly, always has been, I'm sorry. It's not only kind of pointless because that's not really how you see, but it's also just pure science. Things that move normally in the world have no framerate, it's just always changing at even the tiniest fraction of time. That means the higher the framerate becomes, the closer to reality you get. Because things don't flicker in reality, so the less time between frames the better for realism.

Ultimately what you prefer is up to you. For some, 60fps is always better. Myself included.

And one more point: most games ran smooth at 30 early in this generation too. I just hope this next generation of consoles doesn't shit itself into games with massive latency that barely run at 25, let alone 30. I'd say 30 is acceptable when it's constant, smooth, and as responsive as is reasonable to expect from 30, but when you start compromising on any of those, it starts to sort of fall apart.

I agree with all of this.

The OP is a bunch of nonsense.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

You sound a little jealous.

This thread is so fucking sad.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@andorski said:

@korwin said:

@andorski said:

SO wrong. You need to dip your eyes into ice-cold water and then OC your eyes to 90Hz-120Hz. Also look out for nVidia's new tech to deal with eye-based screen tearing, eyeSync.

I hear that before you put your eyes in cold water you need to see a Traditional Chinese Medicine doctor to shave the surface of your eyeballs.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jarmahead said:

What? No. 60FPS is so much better. Seriously, find a PC game that you can get to run at 30 without forcing the framerate but will scale to 60fps as well. Play it with the settings you need to force it down to 30, with vsync. Then, play it at 60 without vsync. It's a massive difference in latency and responsiveness and that's the main reason people should be into 60-fps.

The framerate is as much about smoothness of motion and input as it is about the appearance of individual frames, as well as the responsiveness or lack of latency in input. It's why Call of Duty feels very tight and responsive where as something like GTA V on the 360 feels latent and slow and sluggish.

Also, the weird thing that people get with high framerate video? It goes away really quickly and just seems normal after a while of regular viewing.

And talking about your brain's framerate is silly, always has been, I'm sorry. It's not only kind of pointless because that's not really how you see, but it's also just pure science. Things that move normally in the world have no framerate, it's just always changing at even the tiniest fraction of time. That means the higher the framerate becomes, the closer to reality you get. Because things don't flicker in reality, so the less time between frames the better for realism.

Ultimately what you prefer is up to you. For some, 60fps is always better. Myself included.

And one more point: most games ran smooth at 30 early in this generation too. I just hope this next generation of consoles doesn't shit itself into games with massive latency that barely run at 25, let alone 30. I'd say 30 is acceptable when it's constant, smooth, and as responsive as is reasonable to expect from 30, but when you start compromising on any of those, it starts to sort of fall apart.

I agree with all of this.

The OP is a bunch of nonsense.

I was so bummed when I got my most recent monitor and I couldn't overclock the OSD/Panel to 85hz, all the reviewers always have better luck in that department than me. I miss 85hz or greater Quake 3.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85  Edited By Landmine

@korwin said:

@tmthomsen said:
@three0nefive said:

Sarcasm Filter Enabled.

I do enjoy the misuse of the word entitled. It's a nice touch, really ties the absurdity of the statement together.

Kung_Fu_Viking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"your vision or realty does not run at 60 or more FPS instead your brain has a lot RAM if you will to keep every thing loaded up with no hiccups"

What does this even mean?

hemmelight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like to compare Forza 3 with Forza Horizon.

Forza 3 feels great and responsive at 60, and Horizon feels great at 30.

The most important thing (for me) is that they STAY where they're supposed to.

A lot of people balked at Horizon for being only 30 fps, but it was rock freaking solid, and is still a great game.

Andorski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"your vision or realty does not run at 60 or more FPS instead your brain has a lot RAM if you will to keep every thing loaded up with no hiccups"

What does this even mean?

Your brain is like 32GB DDR5 RAM at 2933 speed. Duh.

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89  Edited By korwin

@landmine said:

@korwin said:

@tmthomsen said:
@three0nefive said:

Sarcasm Filter Enabled.

I do enjoy the misuse of the word entitled. It's a nice touch, really ties the absurdity of the statement together.

Every time a random internet chud misuses the word entitled Raptor Jebus drowns a puppy. It's rather unfortunate for the puppy population since people are so fond of it, there was a real hot streak there earlier in the year.

frankxiv

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

thanks for this post, i haven't seen anyone be this wrong in a long time.

Dagbiker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The problem with 60fps is that it looks bad.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The GB community is way too crazy about fps.

monetarydread

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP, you need to stop inhaling Pipe Dope. 60fps is better in almost every situation.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94  Edited By RonGalaxy

@monetarydread said:

OP, you need to stop inhaling Pipe Dope. 60fps is better in almost every situation.

Better in all, necessary in very few. You only need 60 when you are gaining some sort of gameplay benefit from those frames (ala multiplayer games). It's downright unnecessary in singleplayer games and, personally, takes me out of the immersion. When I think of playing a game like the last of us at 60fps, it just seems so wrong.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95  Edited By pyrodactyl

@believer258 said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Nope. Could buy a rig if I wanted to. I'm not going to since the value proposition is real real bad and always has been for high end PCs particularly so close to a new generation. Now I can save a grand and buy a console that will run any game the develloper felt needed to run at 60 and coast through the next 4 years getting better performance out of optimization instead of expensive upgrades. Also, exclusives that look fun instead of an endless stream of MMOs, MOBAs and free to play games. Not becoming a graphics/fps whore is only a small bonus.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#96  Edited By Justin258

@pyrodactyl said:

@believer258 said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Nope. Could buy a rig if I wanted to. I'm not going to since the value proposition is real real bad and always has been for high end PCs particularly so close to a new generation. Now I can save a grand and buy a console that will run any game the develloper felt needed to run at 60 and coast through the next 4 years getting better performance out of optimization instead of expensive upgrades. Also, exclusives that look fun instead of an endless stream of MMOs, MOBAs and free to play games. Not becoming a graphics/fps whore is only a small bonus.

Wait... You mean MMO's, MOBA's, and F2P games like Hard Reset? Civilization V? Legend of Grimrock? STALKER? Torchlight 2? Crusader Kings 2? Chivalry? Mount and Blade? Or maybe significantly earlier access to vastly superior versions of The Witcher 2 and Diablo 3?

For the record, I'm not a graphics whore. I like good graphics but I don't need them. And I'll play a game that runs at 30 frames per second on a console, but a faster framerate doesn't just mean smoother visuals. It also means smoother and better controls. It doesn't sound like a big difference but it's certainly a very noticeable one and it's one that I've come to value in my gaming experience. It's comparable to, I dunno, an A button that slightly sticks. Oh, sure, you can still play whatever you're playing, but that A button is going to bug the fucking hell out of you.

Anyway, there's no reason to be as mad as you sound at those of us who enjoy a better gaming experience.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the condescending tone of that sentence.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97  Edited By RonGalaxy

I, seriously, hate these threads...

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#98  Edited By ll_Exile_ll
pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99  Edited By pyrodactyl

@pyrodactyl said:

@believer258 said:

@pyrodactyl said:

Wait... You mean MMO's, MOBA's, and F2P games like Hard Reset? Civilization V? Legend of Grimrock? STALKER? Torchlight 2? Crusader Kings 2? Chivalry? Mount and Blade? Or maybe significantly earlier access to vastly superior versions of The Witcher 2 and Diablo 3?

For the record, I'm not a graphics whore. I like good graphics but I don't need them. And I'll play a game that runs at 30 frames per second on a console, but a faster framerate doesn't just mean smoother visuals. It also means smoother and better controls. It doesn't sound like a big difference but it's certainly a very noticeable one and it's one that I've come to value in my gaming experience. It's comparable to, I dunno, an A button that slightly sticks. Oh, sure, you can still play whatever you're playing, but that A button is going to bug the fucking hell out of you.

Anyway, there's no reason to be as mad as you sound at those of us who enjoy a better gaming experience.

Yes, I'm fully aware of the condescending tone of that sentence.

Did you notice how every game you mentionned except the witcher 2 (a franchise that has gone multiplatform by now) can run on a bad PC? I'm writting this on that kind of machine. The kind that everyone owns. So I guess I should thank you for arguing agains getting a gaming rig then?

I'm also not arguing that 60 fps is bad or anything. I'm just saying it isn't necessary most of the time. It's vital in twitch based games like COD or SF4. Devellopers understand that and build these games to run at 60 on all platforms.

Back to my original point, the more you play games at 60fps, the more you come to expect every game to run at 60. That brings your enjoyement of awesome games down because , for you, that kind of experience compares to an A button that's stuck or worse...

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

I'm fine with games running in 30fps, as long as they're consistent.