7 Hour Star Ocean: The Last Hope Impressions

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By SmugDarkLoser

So today, I finally reciveved my copy of Star Ocean: The Last Hope in the mail.

Where to start.  Well I guess I'll just describe what I played.  I pretty much played from 4 until 11 straight.  Yea, I know, that's a damn long time for a single session, but I've done more. 

Anyway, so let me start out on the technical side to get stuff out of the way.  The graphics are some of the best.  That's truly all that needs to be said, because what more is there to say?  I guess I could say there's an anime style to things, but you already know that.  I guess I did. 

And the gameplay as in the combat.  This is some of the funnest jrpg combat out there.  In fact, it's a fun combat system regardless of genre.  It's fairly fast paced and deep. Outside of the series I'd have to probably compare it to an action game, but I can't specify which and tha'ts especially because each character plays differently (accessed by simply hitting RB/LB).

So onto the big part--- the universe.  The story is essentially hardcore sci-fi and hardcore anime mixed together.  This means you're either going to find much of this to be either corny or pretty much a dream team deal.  There's strong influences from Star Trek on the sci-fi side (more so than Star Wars) and anime actually draws from Lucky Star High (okay, I kid, it's not that bad, but it definately draws from that side at times).  I really haven't got far enough into the story to judge, but it seems like it'll have a pretty nice story going on here. 

So yea, not a huge amount to say here, but just some quick impressions.   I have officially ended my Infinite Undiscovery blog, didn't post much towards the end of that.  Basically, it stayed the same strength towards the end of the game and then the ending sequence (meaning going towards the final battle + areas) was very, well, unexpected.   It made sense with the flow of the game, but you just wouldn't have expected it near the beggining of the game.

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

So today, I finally reciveved my copy of Star Ocean: The Last Hope in the mail.

Where to start.  Well I guess I'll just describe what I played.  I pretty much played from 4 until 11 straight.  Yea, I know, that's a damn long time for a single session, but I've done more. 

Anyway, so let me start out on the technical side to get stuff out of the way.  The graphics are some of the best.  That's truly all that needs to be said, because what more is there to say?  I guess I could say there's an anime style to things, but you already know that.  I guess I did. 

And the gameplay as in the combat.  This is some of the funnest jrpg combat out there.  In fact, it's a fun combat system regardless of genre.  It's fairly fast paced and deep. Outside of the series I'd have to probably compare it to an action game, but I can't specify which and tha'ts especially because each character plays differently (accessed by simply hitting RB/LB).

So onto the big part--- the universe.  The story is essentially hardcore sci-fi and hardcore anime mixed together.  This means you're either going to find much of this to be either corny or pretty much a dream team deal.  There's strong influences from Star Trek on the sci-fi side (more so than Star Wars) and anime actually draws from Lucky Star High (okay, I kid, it's not that bad, but it definately draws from that side at times).  I really haven't got far enough into the story to judge, but it seems like it'll have a pretty nice story going on here. 

So yea, not a huge amount to say here, but just some quick impressions.   I have officially ended my Infinite Undiscovery blog, didn't post much towards the end of that.  Basically, it stayed the same strength towards the end of the game and then the ending sequence (meaning going towards the final battle + areas) was very, well, unexpected.   It made sense with the flow of the game, but you just wouldn't have expected it near the beggining of the game.

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By pause422

I'm thinking of trying this one, when I get the time at some point. So far I've bought Fear 2, Killzone 2, and Dawn of War 2 in the last few weeks and hardly touched any of them. Gotta get caught up with everything one of these days. Still have to beat Fallout 3 as well...

ZombiePie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 19

#3  Edited By ZombiePie

Maybe I'll check this game out latter. The reason why I'm not rushing out to buy it is that I have some 2008 games to play and some other recent releases to get to. I hope you continue to have fun though!

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
pause422 said:
"I'm thinking of trying this one, when I get the time at some point. So far I've bought Fear 2, Killzone 2, and Dawn of War 2 in the last few weeks and hardly touched any of them. Gotta get caught up with everything one of these days. Still have to beat Fallout 3 as well...
"
And pause, you asked me about which rpg I would recommend.  I'd say it's this one that you should try.   Definately much like I thought it was. 
Doesn't mean you shouldn't. try Lost Odyssey or Tales though....

Oh, and I mentioned Infinite Undiscovery being sort of bad to you.  By the meat of the game, it got better.  I wouldn't recommend it to someone really just wanting to try a jrpg though.

--> Star Ocean 4 is easily going to be a contender for my GOTY and probably the best rpg of the year...but in reality what other rpg is coming out this year?  Hoping Mistwalker announces that they have a new game ready to come out soon.
maxszy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By maxszy

I can't wait to pick this up. I am huge sci-fi fan so I think i'll be getting into this really a lot.

Though its going to have to wait a bit, still playing through Infinite Undiscovery and some other games that I am working on. So it may be a couple months but this is going to take up a lot of my time I know.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Red

I just think that the character designs are horrible, combat looks fun, and besides that it's as dated, glitchy, and generic as every other JRPG on the 360--minus Tales of Vesperia and Lost Odyssey.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By penguindust

I am eager to play a non-fantasy based JRPG, but have Persona 3 FES on my list next.  SO4 is right behind that so I'll be checking it out eventually.  Good thing, outside of KZ2, there is nothing new coming out for months that I am interested in.  

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#8  Edited By Whisperkill

Im interested, then again I havent beaten Lost Odyssey still

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#9  Edited By Icemael

How is the combat system compared to the Tales games?

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By crunchUK

WOW

did i just see a non flaming smugdarkloser thread? no wai

SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SmugDarkLoser
Icemael said:
"How is the combat system compared to the Tales games?"

Well, they're fairly different, I wouldn't necessarily say they have a huge connection besides the whole jrpg real time fighting within a seperate battle menu.
For me, Tales's seems more like an older action game's 2d fighting system and really you pretty much rely on level and skills you have,

Star Ocean 4's feels much more fast paced an sort of along the lines of a modern action game. 
Unlike Tales, you can switch in between characters with the booster buttons and each character controls quite differently.  A attacks (edge feels sort of like the sword warrior, remi like a more floaty bow user, faize like a smooth bristish fencer, don't want to talk about characters beyond that), B does the jump, which varies.  Edge's is more like a sprint, Remi's is a jump, etc. 

Then there's the systems.
You've got the BEAT,rush, and Blindside systems.

-The beat system is more like one behind the scenes.  It's almost like a job system.  Basically you can level these up (completely independent of the main leveling system which caps at 9999).  Beat A (not sure if that's the letter) makes you blindside attacks stronger (get to that later), and Beat B helps your rush/defense systems (get to rush later).   There's also Beat N.  Beat N doesn't level up, instead, is essentially combinds the effects of the other two.  It's the strongest, but it's dependent on the other two.  I'd imagine it's best used for boss fights, because it's not exactly a good chocie to use consistenly.
-The rush system is essentially a type of limit break, but different.  When you hold B (hit analog for roll/ blindside), it charges and also when you attack, get hit, etc.  You essentially go into rage mode for a bit dealing more damage.
-And lastly, the blindside system.  Basically, when an enemy locks on to you you can dodge the attack and then you'll flip around him and you can then attack him for massive damage.  Timing takes getting use to.

During combat you can also hit Y to bring up a menu where you can change your assigned spells or whatever or you can cast spells that aren't hotkeyed.  This is also where you use your items.  It does pause the game. .
You can also before the fight go into the menu and give them strategies, turn off spells, etc.

Pretty sure that's pretty much it.   Of course there's modifiers like new equipment, elements, etc. but that's going into inventory.

And also, I've noticed many reviews are just flat out wrong with facts, here's to clear some stuff up:
- you can indeed invert your camera X (or Y) axis (it's starts with backwards X)
- the lip synching is not off (they probaably were still playing Infinite Undiscovery!!!)
- It does not take 3 hours to get into the first real fight.  It took me about an hour and I spent quite a deal of time in the combat simulator finishing all of it.  How it can take more is beyond me.
- The english dialogue is NOT bad, I don't know how else to say this.  It's quite good actually.  The only one who may seem annoying is Welch, but she's designed like that, really, quite an interesting character
- Gameinformer, you're an idiot.  That wasn't a random pervert claim.  You guys are idiots if you couldn't see why she said that...my god.  Talk about not noticing things...

And not so much something that they got wrong, but something that needs to be mentioned:  There's so much shit to do in this game.  There's tons of stuff for the completionist like researching monsters (which just means to fight one so many times), finding new ship info, battle trophies (100 for each character, essentially achievements) and then tons of side quests (each shop gives a list of items they want, there's also many real fleshed out ones), and there's apparently even bunnies you can race on!!!!
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SmugDarkLoser

ahh... now at 18 hours.  fucking loving this game
also has such, such good graphics.  Best looking game on the 360