70 minute review of The Phantom Menace

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By freezerr

This guy on youtube does an amazing job of critiquing Star Wars Episode 1 and explaining why it's terrible in comparison to the original trilogy. It comes highly recommended.

Lost co-creator and Star Trek producer Damon Lindelof, said “Your life is about to change. This is astounding film making. Watch ALL of it.”

If any bad movie is worth a 70 minute critique, it's The Phantom Menace, if only to see how far the greatest franchise fell.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/17/watch-this-70-minute-video-review-of-star-wars-the-phantom-menace/

Jar jar is the least of the problems.

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By septim

Yeah I watched this last week. I mainly just clicked just to see what a 70 minute movie review would be like. Turns out it was probably more entertaining than the movie itself.

Must watch.

HitmanAgent47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By HitmanAgent47

Instead of listening to his points, why not just read the metacritic or rotton tomatoes average and a few reviews, it tells me everything I need to know. That guy is only one reviewer and if he's so good, maybe he should be a professional reviewer.

Watch me get a ton of replies because I mentioned rotton tomatoes, or metacritic and no one wants to be told what the average is or what to think.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By freezerr
@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

Instead of listening to his points, why not just read the metacritic or rotton tomatoes average and a few reviews, it tells me everything I need to know. That guy is only one reviewer and if he's so good, maybe he should be a professional reviewer.

Watch me get a ton of replies because I mentioned rotton tomatoes, or metacritic and no one wants to be told what the average is or what to think.

"
Metacritic will tell you if a movie is good or bad -- an indepth review will tell you why. If you don't care why Star Wars 1 sucked so hard, that's alright by me. This is also a quite funny review.
sjschmidt93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

User Lists: 20

#5  Edited By sjschmidt93
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By fuzzyponken

I wish I could download the whole movie in decent quality. Youtube is so slow and looks like gargled shit. 

ProudMeowican

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By ProudMeowican
@freezerr: My brother was telling me about it but 70 minutes is a bit steep.
Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#8  Edited By Artie

Dude this guy sounds like the biggest troll ever.

Also Star Wars Episode 1 was bad ass everyone who complained about it I never understood. But I'll watch...

EpicSteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By EpicSteve

I watched it, pretty much what I thought of the movie. I did like Episode 3, but I'm in the minority.

Jeffsekai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Jeffsekai

That guys voice is fucking annoying

Artie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

#11  Edited By Artie

I see now his voice and persona is supposed to be ironical.

rallier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By rallier

Watching it now. Quite funny and he has some really good arguments. The voice is a bit odd though, doubt that that is his real voice.

dangerousdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By dangerousdave
@HitmanAgent47 said: 
"

"
This video isn't about finding the aggregate perception people had of the movie.  Besides being incredibly entertaining, he gave detailed and intelligent reasons why the movie isn't good.  Don't judge a book by it's cover people, this guy knows what he's talking about film-wise. The serial killer jokes are also hilarious! 

@Artie
said:

" Dude this guy sounds like the biggest troll ever.  Also Star Wars Episode 1 was bad ass everyone who complained about it I never understood. But I'll watch... "

Ah, I wish I could agree with you, but I tried watching through it again and it's painful.  There's barely a point of me getting into the reasons, because this guy states every reason so elegantly, albeit uniquely.

@EpicSteve
said:

" I watched it, pretty much what I thought of the movie. I did like Episode 3, but I'm in the minority. "

I didn't care for Episodes 1 or 2, but I really enjoyed Episode 3 as well.  It may not be as timeless as the originals, but it's powerful and a great transition into the sequels.  I love how Anakin is trying to deal with both the Jedis and the Sith doing less than scrupulous things, and his internal struggle with all that stuff.  Plus, Natelie Portman's line, "So this is how liberty dies.. with thunderous applause", awesome.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 9

#14  Edited By jakob187

Great review overall, and presented in a way that anyone can digest. 

As for Episode 2 and 3, I haven't watched either in a while, but I remember liking them both quite a bit when I first saw them and upon subsequent viewings.  I have to go back and watch Episode 2 again, though...

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By WinterSnowblind

As someone who never really watched or got into the SW movies until after the prequels were released (I'm not young, I just had no interest in the series until I played KotOR).  I honestly never felt the prequel trilogies were that bad.  Episode I did feel somewhat aimless, I do think Anakins childhood could have been a flashback at the begining of the Episode II events, and Episode II itself spent far too much time with the terrible interactions between Anakin and Padme.  But for the most part I enjoyed the movies,  Episode III was one of my favourites of them all and I feel a lot of the hate comes from nostalgia and the ridiculous amounts of hype.

But I haven't gotten around to watching this guys review yet, I totally intend to do so, when I can find the time.

JCGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By JCGamer

He makes some good arguments and a great job dissecting the film itself as well as backing up his arguments.

freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By freezerr
@WoolyAbyss said:
" @freezerr: My brother was telling me about it but 70 minutes is a bit steep. "

It is long. I'd recommend trying out the first 10-minute video, as that covers how awful the characterization is, and is some of the best stuff.
Daryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Daryl

I liked Episode 1. 

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By Willy105

I saw this when it came out, before it was all the rage.

It deserves it.

I thought I loved The Phantom Menace, but this review turns out things I didn't even notice and makes me see how bad George Lucas really made it.

@WoolyAbyss

said:

" @freezerr: My brother was telling me about it but 70 minutes is a bit steep. "

It's not. It flies by very quickly and will be disappointed that it was over so quickly.

@Artie

said:

" Dude this guy sounds like the biggest troll ever.  Also Star Wars Episode 1 was bad ass everyone who complained about it I never understood. But I'll watch... "

Me neither, Phantom Menace had a great story, fantastic production values, a wonderful score, and incredible special effects. But this review shows why people didn't like it.

@HitmanAgent47 said:
"

"

You haven't seen the review.
Spike94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Spike94
@EpicSteve said:
"I watched it, pretty much what I thought of the movie. I did like Episode 3, but I'm in the minority. "

Same. I liked all the prequels... 
Yeah, that's right.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By FunExplosions

Wait, have you all watched the original trilogy again, now that you're older? It's horrible. The acting is abysmal and the story is cliched. The characters are cartoony messes. I would think someone nowadays could only legitimately like any of the Star Wars movies if they have some unreasonable nostalgia-based devotion for the series. I know the movie opened all kinds of doors for creativity in films, but I can't help but cringe at almost every line in all 6 movies. The movies are good for kids and for adults born in the 70's, before these ideas became completely exhausted. I guess I should shut up and watch this video though, right?

septim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#22  Edited By septim
@EpicSteve said:
" I watched it, pretty much what I thought of the movie. I did like Episode 3, but I'm in the minority. "
I have no idea why people don't like episode 3. I like it better than ROTJ.
cstrang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By cstrang

This is awesome.  He points out so many plotholes.  He has a strange sense of humor, but I'm digging it.

popmasterruler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By popmasterruler
@Artie said:
Quote for the truth!I grew up with the original trilogy but that didn't keep me from loving the prequels.You guys are just biased.
Potter9156

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Potter9156

Watched all of it today. Easily the best movie review ever. Lots of good points, and the guy is hilarious.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By jakob187
@FunExplosions said:
" Wait, have you all watched the original trilogy again, now that you're older? It's horrible. The acting is abysmal and the story is cliched. The characters are cartoony messes. I would think someone nowadays could only legitimately like any of the Star Wars movies if they have some unreasonable nostalgia-based devotion for the series. I know the movie opened all kinds of doors for creativity in films, but I can't help but cringe at almost every line in all 6 movies. The movies are good for kids and for adults born in the 70's, before these ideas became completely exhausted. I guess I should shut up and watch this video though, right? "
The acting is better than the prequelogy, and the story IS cliched.  I wish people would stop thinking that cliche = bad.  It's such a dumb way of putting a movie down. 

Terminator 2 is cliche.  Many of the acclaimed Disney animated movies are cliche.  Pixar's movies are cliche.  There are so many great movies that are completely cliche...and it doesn't matter.  Cliche simply means that they are using familiar plot elements.  It's the way they unfold. 

The characters are cartoony messes?  The characters aren't supposed to be monotone reality.  You are talking about a movie series...with droids...and wookies...and jawas...  Also, they are supposed to be a bit over-the-top, as the movies are inspired by the old school stuff like Flash Gordon, not Dune...which is what the prequelogy seems like it's trying to be with all the talk of politics and such. 

The one thing I didn't like about this review is how he is constantly talking about how these movies were "made for kids".  They AREN'T made for kids.  They are just made for people to watch.  They happen to be rated PG.  Look at Rocko's Modern Life - that show was on Nickelodeon FOR KIDS...and yet that show had some of the dirtiest subtext possible.  It was ALSO for adults.  The dirty stuff went over the kids' heads, but the parents were still able to enjoy it on their own...and it wasn't corrupting the kids either. 

Meanwhile, the prequelogy suffers from having TOO MUCH political dribble in it, which is NOT what Star Wars is about.  The guy makes this point very clearly in his review, and I applaud him for that.  However, it's not like kids are stupid. 

In the end, the original trilogy was about having fun...and they ARE fun.  I personally loathe Episode I, as it's an atrocity to the series.  Episode II and III were good, but when put against IV, V, and VI, they are still drab and dull.  Episode IV, surprisingly, is my second least favorite one.  Empire Strikes Back is a crowning achievement in sci-fi fantasy...solely because it wasn't directed by George Lucas!!!  Return of the Jedi was a great conclusion to a trilogy.
fuzzyponken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By fuzzyponken

@jakob187 said: 

In the end, the original trilogy was about having fun...and they ARE fun.  I personally loathe Episode I, as it's an atrocity to the series.  Episode II and III were good, but when put against IV, V, and VI, they are still drab and dull.  Episode IV, surprisingly, is my second least favorite one.  Empire Strikes Back is a crowning achievement in sci-fi fantasy...solely because it wasn't directed by George Lucas!!!  Return of the Jedi was a great conclusion to a trilogy. "

I feel Episode I is clearly the better of the prequels. They're all shit of course, but Episode II and III take it to a whole other level. Episode III particularly actually made me embarrassed I was watching that fucking garbage. When that asthmatic robot started waving four lightsabres around I almost left the theatre. Jesus christ that was horrible.  And I couldn't even tell you what Episode II's story was, it was so unmemorable. 
MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

Watching this shit right now, and it's great. 

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ryanwho

Hey hey hey.
Podracing was alright.
Maybe he should critique the Star Wars fan next. You know, the people who hated this movie yet paid for it, and paid to see the sequels.

Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This was really excellent.  Very thorough in its analysis and dissection of the movie but also very funny in its own right.  Its interesting to me because I think most everyone, myself included, says and felt the movie sucked, but have never really thought about why it sucks compared to the old movies specifically.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ryanwho
@fuzzyponken said:
"   @jakob187 said: 

In the end, the original trilogy was about having fun...and they ARE fun.  I personally loathe Episode I, as it's an atrocity to the series.  Episode II and III were good, but when put against IV, V, and VI, they are still drab and dull.  Episode IV, surprisingly, is my second least favorite one.  Empire Strikes Back is a crowning achievement in sci-fi fantasy...solely because it wasn't directed by George Lucas!!!  Return of the Jedi was a great conclusion to a trilogy. "

I feel Episode I is clearly the better of the prequels. They're all shit of course, but Episode II and III take it to a whole other level. Episode III particularly actually made me embarrassed I was watching that fucking garbage. When that asthmatic robot started waving four lightsabres around I almost left the theatre. Jesus christ that was horrible.  And I couldn't even tell you what Episode II's story was, it was so unmemorable.  "
But at the same time, you get to watch lava burn all the bitch out of Anakin. I found that moment especially satisfying, and it would have been less satisfying if Anakin wasn't a total bitch in the previous 2 movies. So that's something.
Avatar image for stephen_von_cloud
Stephen_Von_Cloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really thought that Episode III was pretty good, I think mostly because it tied more closely into the original trilogy storyline, which is of course more compelling.  While the characters weren't particularly well done we can think "well, this guy will be Darth Vader later on" and be invested at least.  I felt the same way about the fight scene at the end of Episode III as the reviewer for this movie did, good context and setting, but Lucas did almost ruin it by drawing it out so much further than necessary.  The good moment was the payoff of Anakin being burned, not the whole fight scene.

zombie2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By zombie2011
@Jeffsekai said:
" That guys voice is fucking annoying "
Yeah, but thats not his real voice he is trying mimic what everyone thinks a nerd sounds like.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Willy105
@zombie2011 said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Yeah, but thats not his real voice he is trying mimic what everyone thinks a nerd sounds like. "
I thought he was trying to mimic a disturbed and creepy guy.
ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By ryanwho
@zombie2011 said:
" @Jeffsekai said:
Yeah, but thats not his real voice he is trying mimic what everyone thinks a nerd sounds like. "
Well considering this 70 minute Star Wars review is literally the nerdiest thing I can possibly think of, whatever his normal voice is is the voice I think a nerd sounds like.
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FunExplosions
@jakob187 said:

"Episode II and III were good "

If that's your opinion, then there's no hope for me winning this argument. You'll see when you get older. I hope.

Oh, also. That review was awesome. Showed me how much better the old ones were than the new ones. Lucas' response to his own movie was also great.
jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By jakob187
@fuzzyponken said:
"   @jakob187 said: 

I feel Episode I is clearly the better of the prequels. They're all shit of course, but Episode II and III take it to a whole other level. Episode III particularly actually made me embarrassed I was watching that fucking garbage. When that asthmatic robot started waving four lightsabres around I almost left the theatre. Jesus christ that was horrible.  And I couldn't even tell you what Episode II's story was, it was so unmemorable.  "
I can't agree.  Grievous was more than acceptable when compared to Jar Jar Binks.  Meanwhile, Episode II at least offered more of a look into the character of Anakin and why he was becoming so emotionally corrupt.  Granted, Hayden Christiansen can suck a fucking chode for delivering a horrific performance of the role.  You also have the Droid army being brought into full motion, but yes, that story is just as contrived in terms of politics as Episode I.  Episode III was something of a breath of fresh air, as it actually held some decent performance moments and some very emotional moments for at least Star Wars fans.  I mean, we FINALLY got to see that legendary fight on Mustafar.
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38  Edited By Milkman

Fuck the new trilogy hate. Sure, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones aren't masterpieces but they are still quality action films. Star Wars fanboys are just too obsessed to realize it. Also, I don't give a shit what anyone says, Revenge of the Sith is fantastic.

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ryanwho
@Milkman said:
" Fuck the new trilogy hate. Sure, Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones aren't masterpieces but they are still quality action films. Star Wars fanboys are just too obsessed to realize it. Also, I don't give a shit what anyone says, Revenge of the Sith is fantastic. "
Well since you don't care, I'll just flatout say you're wrong. And lucky you don't care so I guess this won't get a response. Excellent. This works out splendidly. A good action movie, Star Wars expectations aside, has weight to it and it builds up to something. And that requires character, it requires sympathy for the hero and contempt for the villain. But if everyone in the movie is a cardboard cutout and boring as hell, I can't get mad at the villain for killing boring people and I can't root for the boring ass hero. Boring, boring boring. If its an action movie, it fails.
ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

#40  Edited By ArbitraryWater

Being that I was around 6 or 7 when Episode 1 came out, I enjoyed it quite a bit. However, now that I am older and wiser, a lot of what this guy says makes sense, even though his over-analysis reeks of obsession.

Episode 2 is the worst in the series, hands down. Hayden Christiansen can't act worth anything, and George Lucas can't write romance. Put both together and you have a movie that sucks on so many fronts.

However, Episode 3 isn't bad. Sure, it has led the way towards that awful CG clone wars series (although the cartoon miniseries of the same name directed by the Dexter's Lab guy was pretty good if I recall correctly), but it's watchable.

AgentJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 31

#41  Edited By AgentJ

A couple times this reviewer goes out of his way to create things to complain about. The movie did suck, don't get me wrong, but when you are making up reasons why it sucked, the "70 minutes" just seem bloated. For example, in the fourth video when he's complaining about the Jedi following Jar Jar instead of just running towards the capital, he never mentions that the reason they follow him is because he said he knew of a "shortcut" or whatever. One would think that would be quicker than WALKING AROUND A PLANET! 
That said, most of the points are good. 
Edit: And then this reviewer acts like trying to figure out the podrace gamble was actually complicated or something. Did anyone else have problems understanding it?

Whisperkill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#42  Edited By Whisperkill

Only good part of that movie is Liam Neeson, Qui Gon is my favorite Jedi of all time...

Avatar image for origina1penguin
Origina1Penguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Origina1Penguin

I watched all 7 parts. It was very entertaining, but the last few seemed to be getting nitpicky and were not nearly as funny as the the first few. Now I really want to watch the originals again.

chstupid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#44  Edited By chstupid
@jakob187 said:
" @FunExplosions said:
" Wait, have you all watched the original trilogy again, now that you're older? It's horrible. The acting is abysmal and the story is cliched. The characters are cartoony messes. I would think someone nowadays could only legitimately like any of the Star Wars movies if they have some unreasonable nostalgia-based devotion for the series. I know the movie opened all kinds of doors for creativity in films, but I can't help but cringe at almost every line in all 6 movies. The movies are good for kids and for adults born in the 70's, before these ideas became completely exhausted. I guess I should shut up and watch this video though, right? "
The acting is better than the prequelogy, and the story IS cliched.  I wish people would stop thinking that cliche = bad.  It's such a dumb way of putting a movie down.  Terminator 2 is cliche.  Many of the acclaimed Disney animated movies are cliche.  Pixar's movies are cliche.  There are so many great movies that are completely cliche...and it doesn't matter.  Cliche simply means that they are using familiar plot elements.  It's the way they unfold.  The characters are cartoony messes?  The characters aren't supposed to be monotone reality.  You are talking about a movie series...with droids...and wookies...and jawas...  Also, they are supposed to be a bit over-the-top, as the movies are inspired by the old school stuff like Flash Gordon, not Dune...which is what the prequelogy seems like it's trying to be with all the talk of politics and such.  The one thing I didn't like about this review is how he is constantly talking about how these movies were "made for kids".  They AREN'T made for kids.  They are just made for people to watch.  They happen to be rated PG.  Look at Rocko's Modern Life - that show was on Nickelodeon FOR KIDS...and yet that show had some of the dirtiest subtext possible.  It was ALSO for adults.  The dirty stuff went over the kids' heads, but the parents were still able to enjoy it on their own...and it wasn't corrupting the kids either.  Meanwhile, the prequelogy suffers from having TOO MUCH political dribble in it, which is NOT what Star Wars is about.  The guy makes this point very clearly in his review, and I applaud him for that.  However, it's not like kids are stupid.  In the end, the original trilogy was about having fun...and they ARE fun.  I personally loathe Episode I, as it's an atrocity to the series.  Episode II and III were good, but when put against IV, V, and VI, they are still drab and dull.  Episode IV, surprisingly, is my second least favorite one.  Empire Strikes Back is a crowning achievement in sci-fi fantasy...solely because it wasn't directed by George Lucas!!!  Return of the Jedi was a great conclusion to a trilogy. "

George Lucas said the prequals were for kids and the reviewer was just pointing out how dumb that was 
Death_Unicorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By Death_Unicorn
@Daryl said:
" I liked Episode 1.  "
High Five!
Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Milkman
@ryanwho: I really have no desire to argue about Star Wars over the internet, to be completely honest. But I did watch this review and though it was a thoroughly entertaining, the movie is not meant to be this over analyzed. As he points out in the review multiple times, Star Wars is for children. Always has, always will be. The movies are not meant to have every line examined and studied. Obviously, Episode I is nowhere near the quality of the original trilogy but I think it's time for some people to get over it and move on.
freezerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By freezerr
@Milkman said:
" @ryanwho: I really have no desire to argue about Star Wars over the internet, to be completely honest. But I did watch this review and though it was a thoroughly entertaining, the movie is not meant to be this over analyzed. As he points out in the review multiple times, Star Wars is for children. Always has, always will be. The movies are not meant to have every line examined and studied. Obviously, Episode I is nowhere near the quality of the original trilogy but I think it's time for some people to get over it and move on. "
If my kids were watching a movie, I'd prefer that it's a movie that actually makes fucking sense.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Willy105
@chstupid said:
George Lucas said the prequals were for kids and the reviewer was just pointing out how dumb that was  "
There is no way.

None of those prequel movies were for kids.

The only Star Wars movie that could be considered for kids is the very first one, Episode 4. Everything else is so infused with politics that it's every bit a kids thing as C-Span is.