8.4 > 8.2 Big Deal?

Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

Edited By Scientist
Trolling around on various video game review websites and reading video game magazine reviews I always find myself being annoyed by reviewers that use decimal points to review or +'s or -'s in letter grades or rating a game on a scale of 1-10.
My philosophy on rating games is to keep it on a small scale and have those letters or numbers make a big difference. If I'm rating a game I prefer a 1-5 scale rating system.
If I give a game a 1 I'm basically telling you it's the worst game out there and should not be played by anyone, not even for torture purposes.
If I give a game a 2 it might be a rent, or for only die hard fans if it's part of a series, had big flaws but still playable, etc.
This way a 3 is going to be smack in the middle and easily represent a mediocre game, a game where you may like it or hate it, you may rent or just buy, there may be minor flaws or minor bugs in the game.
A 4 rated game is a good game, probably a buy if you're looking for that genre of video game to add to your collection. There may be a few bugs here and there but nothing that will halt the flow of the game.
5 rated games are easily enough games that you should own with no questions asked. The developers obviously took the time to construct this masterpiece and isn't plagued with bugs. The story is something to be told for generations and we'll all droll over a rumor later on if a sequel is announced.
We're all entitled to our opinion and we all like to write our own reviews but I'll have my opinion on a rating scale as long I can until someone can tell me a how a 2 rated game is different from a 3 rated game on a 1-10 review scale. There has actually been some huge flame wars on some forums about a game getting an 8.3 and another similar game an 8.2 and of course the 8.3's are flaunting they got the better score but in reality what is the difference here? Did the reviewer not like the background color on the main menu for him to drop the score by 0.1? It gets a little ridiculous. The same goes for reviews that use letter ratings with symbols included. Is an "A-" game really different from an "A"? I think not. If you can really decipher a legitimate reason let me know because I find it pretty pointless.
Stick to simple and straight forward 1-5 scales or A-F scales with no + or - or decimal points. We all want to be able to look at a review and really know why a game got a 2 or a 3 and not have to decipher a simple .4 or .8.
Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Scientist
Trolling around on various video game review websites and reading video game magazine reviews I always find myself being annoyed by reviewers that use decimal points to review or +'s or -'s in letter grades or rating a game on a scale of 1-10.
My philosophy on rating games is to keep it on a small scale and have those letters or numbers make a big difference. If I'm rating a game I prefer a 1-5 scale rating system.
If I give a game a 1 I'm basically telling you it's the worst game out there and should not be played by anyone, not even for torture purposes.
If I give a game a 2 it might be a rent, or for only die hard fans if it's part of a series, had big flaws but still playable, etc.
This way a 3 is going to be smack in the middle and easily represent a mediocre game, a game where you may like it or hate it, you may rent or just buy, there may be minor flaws or minor bugs in the game.
A 4 rated game is a good game, probably a buy if you're looking for that genre of video game to add to your collection. There may be a few bugs here and there but nothing that will halt the flow of the game.
5 rated games are easily enough games that you should own with no questions asked. The developers obviously took the time to construct this masterpiece and isn't plagued with bugs. The story is something to be told for generations and we'll all droll over a rumor later on if a sequel is announced.
We're all entitled to our opinion and we all like to write our own reviews but I'll have my opinion on a rating scale as long I can until someone can tell me a how a 2 rated game is different from a 3 rated game on a 1-10 review scale. There has actually been some huge flame wars on some forums about a game getting an 8.3 and another similar game an 8.2 and of course the 8.3's are flaunting they got the better score but in reality what is the difference here? Did the reviewer not like the background color on the main menu for him to drop the score by 0.1? It gets a little ridiculous. The same goes for reviews that use letter ratings with symbols included. Is an "A-" game really different from an "A"? I think not. If you can really decipher a legitimate reason let me know because I find it pretty pointless.
Stick to simple and straight forward 1-5 scales or A-F scales with no + or - or decimal points. We all want to be able to look at a review and really know why a game got a 2 or a 3 and not have to decipher a simple .4 or .8.
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That's exactly why we love Giant Bomb.

Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3  Edited By Red

Why not? Some people like the /100 scoring, as it does say more. I for one, might not buy a 7.5/10 game, but I will buy an 8.5/10 game. All GiantBomb tells me is the basic quality of the game, while for some games I'd want more in-depth information. I don't really care for scores, but I do care about the game itself.

Mercator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mercator

At this point I can tell you virtually 8 out of ten times which games I am buying before they even come out and I am sure most of you are the same way.

Reviews are obsolete.

penguindust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By penguindust

Yeah, scores suck but we all use them to some extent.  Quibbling over what the actual number scale should be is as futile as arguing over the differences of decimal points.  From grade school, the majority of us are used to a +/- letter system or a base 100 percent grade scale, so sticking to those is easy for the average consumer to quickly comprehend.  And if you think that changing the system so that only whole numbers are used will keep system whores from arguing over the score their beloved game received, then I think you're kidding yourself.  X-Play gave Killzone 2 a 5 out of 5 and still people bitched.  Right here on GB, some member complained that Killzone was the most vilified game ever even though it has been one of the best reviewed games of the year. 

Having said all that, in an excercise in futility myself, I think that the only scale that would eliminate using critical numbers as a rating is the old "thumbs up/thumbs down" scale.  Of course, I'm not sure how many of us would be comfortable with that simplistic guide.  When you are talking about a $60 game, when a critic says buy it or don't, you may be cautious if you just look at the "score".   I'd like to think that because of that people would read the reviews, but who are we kidding?  People don't read the reviews unless they are interested in the game already.  They may scan the review for key words like "awesome" or "sucks", but that's about it.  (Yeah that was a huge generalization, I did there)

My dream scale, just to tickle my fancy, would be "the baseball metaphor"

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King

I like the decimal 10 point scale, mainly because of the precision it allows. Am I the only one who sees scores as a ranking system?

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

The number at the end of the review is not important. The content of the review is the important part.

Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Scientist

These are some good points, there's always going to be some complaining.  I agree with StarFoxA too, the content is where it really matters and for the reader to try it out him/herself because we all have seperate opinions.

It does make sense that having a "thumbs up/down" system would lessen some drama but like PenguinDust said it's pretty simplistic for a $60 game.  
I do like the baseball metaphor though.
BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By BoG
Video_Game_King said:
"I like the decimal 10 point scale, mainly because of the precision it allows. Am I the only one who sees scores as a ranking system?"
The problem is that it resorts to a ranking system. When I bought my PSP, I gought Metal Gear Ac!d and Wipeout Pure along with it. According to Gamespot, Wipeout should be much better than Ac!d. Perosonally, I preferred the latter, but the fact is it just doesn't work when ranking those games. They both have excellent visuals, fun gameplay, and lots of replay value. One is a racing game, one is a strategy game. At the end of the day, you just can't rank two very different titles based on an arbitrary decimal number.
Sticky_Pennies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Sticky_Pennies
StarFoxA said:
"The number at the end of the review is not important. The content of the review is the important part."
This.
the8bitNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By the8bitNacho

This is why people need to actually read reviews instead of putting so much into the score.  Seriously, these days video game enthusiasts only post scores to keep their readers from growing their hair over their faces and cutting themselves at the prospect of actually having to use the material they slept through in seventh grade English.

Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By Bear
Red said:
"Why not? Some people like the /100 scoring, as it does say more. I for one, might not buy a 7.5/10 game, but I will buy an 8.5/10 game. All GiantBomb tells me is the basic quality of the game, while for some games I'd want more in-depth information. I don't really care for scores, but I do care about the game itself."
The actual review is meant to give you more in-depth information.

All scores tell you are the basic quality of a game.
It doesn't matter whether that score is 87/100 or 4/5.

Video_Game_King said:
"I like the decimal 10 point scale, mainly because of the precision it allows. Am I the only one who sees scores as a ranking system?"
If you can't tell the difference between the quality of a 5.3 game and a 5.4 game, the out-of-100 scoring system is being unnecessarily precise.
Unless you are talking about a scale that goes 5.5, 6.0, and 6.5. Then I would agree that that is the system to go with if you want precise scores that actually make a difference between something like a 5.0, and a 5.5.
HazBazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By HazBazz

Also, don't type in black font

Scientist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Scientist
HazBazz said:
"Also, don't type in black font"
Haha yeah, sorry.

But yeah, most readers should just read the review themselves than just flip to the back or look at the first page and see the score and call it a day.  Either way, if it's a game you are wondering about you should read it just so  you know more about the game and if the reviewer dislikes something you may read it and think you would like it on the other hand.  

For instance, I've seen a review for Ghost Recon awhile back where the reviewer gave it a terrible score because it was too realistic, but I tend to like a lot of "realistic" shooters so I figured I might actually like this game and ignore that review.  Turns out, I did like the game and I just ignored that one review.  I find reviews to be more than just a score, it's also more insight on how the game is or a written demo if you will.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I prefer the 10/100 point system myself for a number of reasons. Particularly, I'd rather the professional reviewers use it and have their stuff put on metacritic than to have their scores "translated" by the metacritic staff.

Also, numerical scoring for games is arbitrary no matter how formulaic the reviewer tries to make it. So review scores used in ranking is impossible. Part of the 100 point systems usefulness is in it's popularity. It's the standard in the gaming industry. Just of the big reviewers insist on using the five point system for some silly ideals or whatnot, but it only makes things harder for me personally. I don't generally have a high respect for professional reviewers, so I only read them for entertainment, generally for games I already have or have no intention of buying. I can scan metacritic and get a general idea of what both professional reviewers think and what players think. Then I can read a few intelligent sounding player reviews with ideas about what makes a good game that are similar to my own, and make a decision.

Some people here insist on the idea that the 100 point scale causes bad attitudes, but I think that's entirely the fault of professional review sites giving inflated scores to mainstream games from mediocre to shitty.

Scorched

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#16  Edited By Scorched
Mercator said:
"At this point I can tell you virtually 8 out of ten times which games I am buying before they even come out and I am sure most of you are the same way. Reviews are obsolete. "
True,
but a lot of people feel they want to have their opinions validated and obsess over review scores.
Also it's interesting to see what others think of a game to me.  I'd say reviews are more for the crowd that is not as involved in gaming.  The so called "casual gamers".
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By MKHavoc

My problem with the ten point scale is that at the beginning, everyone says that 5 will be the average score.  Eventually that average creeps up to seven.  Pretty soon they're only using 5-10.  Then whenever a game gets below it five, it fells like the reviewer is just being unecessarily harsh.

brukaoru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By brukaoru

I wish scores in reviews didn't exist. I don't think they're necessary but at this point in time there's no way everyone who uses a scoring system will stop using them. I understand that they can serve a purpose, but in my opinion the purpose it serves is limited and not nearly enough of an impact to justify it's use.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Bellum said:
"I prefer the 10/100 point system myself for a number of reasons. Particularly, I'd rather the professional reviewers use it and have their stuff put on metacritic than to have their scores "translated" by the metacritic staff.

Also, numerical scoring for games is arbitrary no matter how formulaic the reviewer tries to make it. So review scores used in ranking is impossible. Part of the 100 point systems usefulness is in it's popularity. It's the standard in the gaming industry. Just of the big reviewers insist on using the five point system for some silly ideals or whatnot, but it only makes things harder for me personally. I don't generally have a high respect for professional reviewers, so I only read them for entertainment, generally for games I already have or have no intention of buying. I can scan metacritic and get a general idea of what both professional reviewers think and what players think. Then I can read a few intelligent sounding player reviews with ideas about what makes a good game that are similar to my own, and make a decision.

Some people here insist on the idea that the 100 point scale causes bad attitudes, but I think that's entirely the fault of professional review sites giving inflated scores to mainstream games from mediocre to shitty."
Even if a site uses a 1-100 scale like metacritic, that doesn't make metacritic any more accurate. The 1-100 scale provides an illusion of similarity, when in reality different editorials will treat the scale differently, and thus using the same scale is irrelevant.
Avatar image for deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5
deactivated-57b1d7d14d4a5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still, it's clear that a 70 is better than a 40. While you're right that different reviewers use their arbitrary numerical system differently, intuitively making good decisions from recognizing patterns is one of the few things we stupid humans are good at.