#1 Edited by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

So in an age where most people would their expect granny to just sitting in her arm chair all day reading a book and having to deal with issues of health this woman has been playing videogames for FORTY years and is still going strong today in her golden years of life.

I mean Disgea for goodness sake, if she ain't a member of the hardcore crowd I don't know who is.

I have much admiration and respect for this lovely lady.

here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-21116544

#2 Posted by Fallen189 (5009 posts) -

Disgaea is no more real than Babysitting Mama

#3 Posted by BeachThunder (11950 posts) -

How do you draw the line between REAL videogames and non REAL videogames?

#4 Posted by TruthTellah (9122 posts) -

Am I a REAL videogame?

#5 Posted by MildMolasses (3221 posts) -

Most of the video games I play are imaginary, so good on her

#6 Posted by Petiew (1349 posts) -

Disgaea's humour is so strange and juvenile. I wonder if she sits there and giggles at horse weiners and flat chested girls.

Also, can you drown in Disgaea 4?

#7 Posted by dutch42 (533 posts) -

Fair play to her, I've been struggling to help my Gran understand how to get her fucking clock radio to work.

#8 Posted by Shrimpy (96 posts) -

It's funny how the media likes to go on about how damaging it can be to play games, then it shows an eighty six year old running someone over in GTA IV and nobody says anything.

#9 Posted by Shortbreadtom (781 posts) -

Why did they show New Super Mario Bros when talking about old games?

#10 Posted by mylifeforAiur (3484 posts) -

Gamer babe.

#11 Posted by zudthespud (3281 posts) -

@Shrimpy said:

It's funny how the media likes to go on about how damaging it can be to play games, then it shows an eighty six year old running someone over in GTA IV and nobody says anything.

It's a false irony because it's different outlets with different purposes. I've never seen the BBC publish an article talking about how violence and video games are connected, and if they did it would be from an objective view point regarding research into the area.

#12 Edited by Atlas (2447 posts) -

It's always nice to see positive coverage of videogames in the mainstream press. It's pretty impressive that she still has the dexterity to control analog sticks and play action games at her age. My grandmother is 92 today and she has all her mental faculties in tact, be she just wouldn't be able to move her fingers that fast as she's suffered from terrible arthritis over the past 10 years or so. Although since the report says she's been playing games for 40 years, maybe playing games has helped keep her finger joints supple and agile.

@BeachThunder said:

I'm pretty sure he/she just means real videogames to differentiate between enthusiast console games like Disgaea and "casual" games like the majority of iOS games and casual PC games. My sister doesn't self identify as a gamer i.e. a part of gaming culture, but she plays plenty of casual games like Neopets games on her laptop, games like Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja on her iPhone, and she's a fan of games like The Sims and Katamari Damacy. "Real" gamers can of course enjoy casual games as much as "real" games - I play plenty of games that can be classified as "casual" - but it's a question of volume as much as it is a question of intensity or obscurity. If you met someone and talked to them about games and they said they play a lot of Call of Duty, you wouldn't immediately associate them as being part of hardcore video game culture, whereas maybe you would if they dropped a name like Disgaea.

Whatever, fucking semantic debates. This is basically just an issue that requires a little bit of common sense and intuition.

#13 Posted by TorMasturba (1094 posts) -

@Atlas said:

It's always nice to see positive coverage of videogames in the mainstream press. It's pretty impressive that she still has the dexterity to control analog sticks and play action games at her age. My grandmother is 92 today and she has all her mental faculties in tact, be she just wouldn't be able to move her fingers that fast as she's suffered from terrible arthritis over the past 10 years or so. Although since the report says she's been playing games for 40 years, maybe playing games has helped keep her finger joints supple and agile.

@BeachThunder said:

I'm pretty sure he just means real videogames to differentiate between enthusiast console games like Disgaea and "casual" games like the majority of iOS games and casual PC games. My sister doesn't self identify as a gamer i.e. a part of gaming culture, but she plays plenty of casual games like Neopets games on her laptop, games like Cut the Rope and Fruit Ninja on her iPhone, and she's a fan of games like The Sims and Katamari Damacy. "Real" gamers can of course enjoy casual games as much as "real" games - I play plenty of games that can be classified as "casual" - but it's a question of volume as much as it is a question of intensity or obscurity. If you met someone and talked to them about games and they said they play a lot of Call of Duty, you wouldn't immediately associate them as being part of hardcore video game culture, whereas maybe you would if they dropped a name like Disgaea.

Whatever, fucking semantic debates. This is basically just an issue that requires a little bit of common sense and intuition.

You're exactly right here thanks, I wasn't labeling her or differentiating games into segments by themselves, I was simply stating that she likes to play more obscure games that were designed for a niche group of people, ie: the more invested group.

This doesn't mean the invested group is better IMO than the less invested, simply that I would more likely hang out with the more invested group. Likely most people on this site would say the same.

#14 Edited by Astromarine (77 posts) -

The Sims isn't a real game now? As far as I know, it's a management sim that you can sink hundreds of hours into. What the fuck kind of criteria is that? I sometimes get this feeling that (and I'm not talking about you specifically, ) 10000000 Infinity Blade.

#15 Edited by TobbRobb (4653 posts) -

This lady is my role model. FOREVER BE GAMING!

Man, just think how many levels in Disgaea 12 I could gain during pension!

@Astromarine: Infinity Blade has some depth and dexterity to it. But so does the Sims.

I think casual would have to be even simpler than either of those, think like. Endless runners or Bejeweled.

#16 Posted by coakroach (2490 posts) -

Holy crap!

I should go back and finish Disgaea 4.

#17 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (5517 posts) -

This is our future. I know I'll be playing games till the day I die. I'm certainly interested to see the long term positive side effects games will have on our minds as we grow older. Maybe improved memory and faster critical thinking skills. Playing games all your life may result in the delay of a deteriorating mind in our Golden years.

#18 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

Hardcore Grandma laughs at your copy of Sorcery

#19 Posted by posh (488 posts) -

why does drawing a distinction between casual and non-casual video games matter unless you work in marketing? if a game satisfies your needs, surely that's all that matters. none of this "i'm a real gamer" bullshit

#20 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I've seen stories in EGM about old people beating Dragon Quest II without a fucking sword, so this story isn't necessary.

#21 Posted by HeyImPhoenix (169 posts) -

Good for her! Everyone can enjoy a good game!

#22 Posted by buft (3317 posts) -

@zudthespud said:

@Shrimpy said:

It's a false irony because it's different outlets with different purposes. I've never seen the BBC publish an article talking about how violence and video games are connected, and if they did it would be from an objective view point regarding research into the area.

I dont think the BBC has ever published anything sensationalist about videogames, in fact the only time the link is presented is when they mention that investigators or a legal team is pushing the link in court as the reason for a killing, zudthespud has it right.