• 191 results
#1 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

http://www.destructoid.com/nine-year-old-girl-kickstarting-game-development-249327.phtml

http://www.destructoid.com/blogs/Shinta/9-year-old-girl-rpg-kickstarter-a-pack-of-lies--249507.phtml

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/susanwilson/9-year-old-building-an-rpg-to-prove-her-brothers-w

I dunno, this seems kind of gross. From a comment on destructoid:

"The daughter of a Harvard grad, who owns her own crowdfunding company, needs $800 to send her daughter to a camp that they have already processed the order for? I won't even take into account the "sugar daddy" mention on the kickstarter video, or the pictures on her Facebook bragging about her $1500 shoes, snapping shots with Warren Buffet and in nice hotel suits talking about rich boy toys or getting ahold of wallets. I also really don't care that charities are against the Kickstarter TOS."

#2 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

My day was going so well, too.

#3 Posted by Demoskinos (14733 posts) -

Whatever, I'm not going to give a shit about the suckers who give money to this shit.

#4 Posted by TheHT (11102 posts) -

Seems exploitative. Bummer.

#5 Posted by Nictel (2402 posts) -

Well F- this, I'm going to do a Kickstarter for doing a Kickstarter.

#6 Posted by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

I just don't get it. There has to be some kind of ploy to all of this, right? To show how Kickstarter can be easily exploited? To show that even those with a ton of money are able to get dough from suckers willing to commit it to something they don't actually NEED to? To show a lack of research done by most people when they are backing something?

There just has to be SOMETHING to this. Going through her LinkedIn and her Facebook, I just don't understand how she DOESN'T have the $900 needed to send the kid. Is that even her daughter? What the hell was with that video? It looks way too well-done.

#7 Posted by MentalDisruption (1621 posts) -

This makes me sad.

#8 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

I just don't get it. There has to be some kind of ploy to all of this, right? To show how Kickstarter can be easily exploited? To show that even those with a ton of money are able to get dough from suckers willing to commit it to something they don't actually NEED to? To show a lack of research done by most people when they are backing something?

There just has to be SOMETHING to this. Going through her LinkedIn and her Facebook, I just don't understand how she DOESN'T have the $900 needed to send the kid. Is that even her daughter? What the hell was with that video? It looks way too well-done.

She's already paid for the camp.

#9 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

Ugh. With $20,000 in one place I could completely change my life. Stories like this always depress me.

#10 Posted by FourWude (2261 posts) -

I hope whoever donated money to this gets scammed. And I hope they genuinely realise it, and it bursts whatever bubble, coccoon world they've built for themselves. Because you have to be in denial not to see you're being laughed at with this kickstarter "project".

#11 Edited by jakob187 (21662 posts) -

@barrock: *shakes hands around in the air and starts generally making gestures of WTF-ness*

WHAT THE FUCK?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! PEOPLE ARE THIS FUCKING DAFT NOWADAYS?!

That's it. I'm starting a Kickstarter to make an RPG. I'm going to ask for $5,000. I'm going to make it on a $70 RPG Maker program, and I'm going to pocket the rest of the fucking money because WHY THE FUCK NOT?!

This Kickstarter single-handedly makes me hate all of Kickstarter now.

#12 Edited by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Ah, yes. Nine year-old girls and their anti-tank killing needs.

#13 Posted by MikkaQ (10281 posts) -

God here I am, a 21 year old with a decade of film experience scrimping and saving just to rent the film equipment I need to make basic professional shots and this girl just got enough to buy all the equipment I'd need outright. I should look into this kickstarter business!

#14 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

@jakob187 said:

@barrock: *shakes hands around in the air and starts generally making gestures of WTF-ness*

WHAT THE FUCK?! ARE YOU SERIOUS?! PEOPLE ARE THIS FUCKING DAFT NOWADAYS?!

That's it. I'm starting a Kickstarter to make an RPG. I'm going to ask for $5,000. I'm going to make it on a $70 RPG Maker program, and I'm going to pocket the rest of the fucking money because WHY THE FUCK NOT?!

This Kickstarter single-handedly makes me hate all of Kickstarter now.

#15 Edited by troll93 (386 posts) -

God I hope kickstarter actually kills this to show that they at least have some integrity. From their guidelines

No "fund my life" projects.

Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.

I though things needed to be approved before they went up?

#16 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2343 posts) -

Why is there a picture of her brother wearing a t shirt that says he's a lesbian?

#17 Posted by Chibithor (574 posts) -

I think you're all missing the most important part which is that the game will be really really bad.

Seriously though, the kid of a "FORTUNE Top Ten Female Entrepreneur" needs $800 to go on some camp? The text even says she's already made games so what's with the 'prove her brothers wrong' part?

Sugar daddy? What the fuck?

#18 Posted by TheHumanDove (2523 posts) -

feminism is untapped GOLD

#19 Posted by ThunderSlash (1652 posts) -

I thought this was going to be a feel good story going in...

#20 Posted by audioBusting (1496 posts) -

Holy crap, some people have some major expendable income to spend $10 for a fully-funded RPG Maker game from a 9-year old.

@barrock said:

It does seem like her mom hasn't paid it in full (Balance due: $1098). Also, that is one expensive RPG Maker camp.

#21 Edited by Barrock (3525 posts) -

Holy crap, some people have some major expendable income to spend $10 for a fully-funded RPG Maker game from a 9-year old.

@barrock said:

It does seem like her mom hasn't paid it in full (Balance due: $1098). Also, that is one expensive RPG Maker camp.

Probably just a down payment.

#22 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5814 posts) -

ugggghhhhh this is just awful.

#24 Posted by audioBusting (1496 posts) -
@troll93 said:

God I hope kickstarter actually kills this to show that they at least have some integrity. From their guidelines

Examples include projects to pay tuition or bills, go on vacation, or buy a new camera.

After thinking about it some more, she is asking for money to go on a summer camp and buy a laptop. Rich mom or not, this is disguising charity as a project..

#25 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

@troll93 said:

Good call. I decided to register and send in a report to Kickstarter.

#26 Posted by Barrock (3525 posts) -

I also find it hilarious that she has a $10,000 tier for a goal of $800.

#27 Posted by Jolt92 (1550 posts) -

Who are the people that actually back this kickstarter?

#28 Posted by niko555 (119 posts) -

@barrock said:

Makes me think that she maybe expected to get more than $800

#29 Edited by BabyChooChoo (4362 posts) -
#30 Edited by audioBusting (1496 posts) -
@niko555 said:

@barrock said:

Makes me think that she maybe expected to get more than $800

I think they added the tiers after they got a few grands. Still pretty crazy though.

#31 Edited by StarFoxA (5145 posts) -

Oh my god. This is her mom. This Kickstarter is such a scam.

Edit: She also runs this website for crowdfunding entrepreneurs. Seriously.

Jesus christ, just look at how many times she spammed the link to this Kickstarter on her Twitter.

#32 Posted by punkxblaze (2968 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

Wow. On a serious note, is there something that can be done about this? I'd sort of like to see this woman metaphorically crucified for this bullshit.

#33 Posted by StarFoxA (5145 posts) -

@punkxblaze: It is against the Kickstarter guidelines to do "fund my life" type Kickstarters like this one (see section 3). I guess this could also be considered a "cause" Kickstarter, which is also in that section.

#34 Posted by Petiew (1344 posts) -

I don't think I'll ever cease to be amazed at the shit people fund on kickstarter.

#35 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8061 posts) -

People need to report it so it gets taken down.

#36 Edited by connerthekewlkid (1818 posts) -
#37 Edited by Tennmuerti (8059 posts) -

If there are suckers enough to get scammed by this, then they deserve exactly what is coming. Seems fair to me.

If there are people who know it's just throwing away money but they have plenty to throw away anyway, then who am I to judge how they spend it? Again no skin off my back.

This was always going to be a problem with Kickstarter from it's very inception. Why? Because it's something that existed long before Kickstarter. It's nothing to do with Kickstarter per se. We don't cry foul on horse race betting do we, or slots, or lottery tickets, even tho mathematically you will always loose money in the long run? Sure my alcoholic inept twice removed cousin, I will let you borrow $20k to fund this amazing business idea, and fully expect it to succeed and give a ROI ... etcetera, etcetera. Examples can be found since the dawn of human civilization, like the first time some fat priest in golden robes asked for a donation from starving overtaxed farmers who were barely scraping by, and they gave it. Or a hot cave-broad getting tribute from multiple cave-dudes even tho she already knows who she's gonna make a cave-baby with, most of those cave-dudes thought they were funding a cool project too. (ok this last one is stretching the analogy a bit too far, but I could not resist making it after the amusing scenario popped into my head)

It's nothing to get upset or worked up over imo. It's just the way it has always been. Kickstarter just made it more visible and public. (their internal policies aside)

Business as usual.

/shrug

#38 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Oh hooray.

*applause* well done, to all involved.

#39 Posted by JJOR64 (18942 posts) -

Brb, going to make a KickStarter so I can make a ham sandwich.

#40 Edited by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -

@bigandtasty said:

@troll93 said:

Good call. I decided to register and send in a report to Kickstarter.

So did I. This woman is dragging Kickstarter's name into the dirt with this one.

It's amazing how many people are stupid enough to think that an appropriate way to try to solve the scarcity of women in video game development is by throwing huge sums of money at a single child, as if concentrating all this money on one person is going to have any effect on the video game industry. It's especially annoying because this is a little girl. I give it 50/50 odds that she will go to this camp and decide she doesn't really like making video games after all. Next summer's she's going to decide what she really wants to do is go to astronomy camp. Never donate money for a kid's project unless they're some kind of prodigy already because kids are fickle as hell. You're not going to jump-start anyone's career at nine years old.

#41 Posted by Jeffsekai (7027 posts) -

Jesus Christ.

#42 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I went from a smile to a frown to a...sadface all in less than 10 seconds after I was done reading. Seriously. Fuck. The. World. We. Live. In.

#43 Edited by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6141 posts) -

There's the answer to my joblessness. Don't bother with this whole "learn new skills, pound the pavement, and try to humble myself looking for work" nonsense. Just fucking beg for cash for something stupid on Kickstarter. Wow.

Moderator Online
#44 Posted by mrpandaman (864 posts) -

Goddaman Kickstarter... why you make me hate you now???

.. I'll be right back... I'm going to start a kickstarter to pay for my college.

#45 Posted by OfficeGamer (1087 posts) -

feminism is untapped GOLD

You can say that again..

#46 Posted by JayEH (521 posts) -

Her sons seem like total douches...sigh I really hope Kickstarter stomps this.

#47 Posted by chrissedoff (2079 posts) -

@starfoxa said:

Edit: She also runs this website for crowdfunding entrepreneurs. Seriously.

Jesus christ, just look at how many times she spammed the link to this Kickstarter on her Twitter.

Holy shit. And she runs a debt collection agency. Boy, this lady is a real piece of work, isn't she?

#48 Posted by Funkydupe (3311 posts) -

The girl needed a specific amount of cash to go to some sort of geek camp for kids and people give her 20 grand? Oook...

#49 Posted by Hunter5024 (5601 posts) -

Thank god everyone else hates this as much as me. I felt like an asshole for not enjoying this supposedly feel good story when I read it on Destructoid last night.

#50 Posted by FierceDeity (358 posts) -

Such beautiful manipulation!!! Exquisite exploitation! Bravo!