A congratulations to the marketing teams at Sony.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

Edited By spacegandhi

While I have owned my PS3 for several years now and have enjoyed many of the systems exclusive titles I frequently buy multi-platform games on my Xbox 360. I do this for several reasons ranging from my larger friends list on 360 to my general preference of the 360 controller. However, this year Sony has, through good ol' fashion business marketing synergy, enticed me to buy three multi-platform games on the PS3. 

At last year's E3 press conference Sony unveiled two of these titles. The first being Dead Space 2. With each copy of Dead Space 2, a game whose predecessor I played on 360, came with a copy of Dead Space: Extraction. So, for no additional cost I would be given a second game. And one that I had been interested in playing on the Wii several years prior. In actuality I had played Extraction previously for a short period of time. I thought the game was atrociously slow for a "guided first person experience," but none the less a free game is a free game. That is unless you count the $50 Playstation Move controller I will need to buy if I wish to play this now, supposedly free, game. So, to reiterate, Sony has gotten me to purchase a game I was planning on buying for 360, for a game I didn't even like, that I must buy a $50 controller for.

Also announced at last year's presser was the news that Portal 2 would be coming to the PS3, ending the long silence between Valve and Sony that came in the wake of the third-party ported, and completely broken, Orange Box for PS3. Along with this announcement came the news of a revolutionary cloud support system via Steam for the PS3 edition of Portal 2. This did, though, not entirely concern me as I still planned on purchasing Portal 2 on what many would assume be its lead-platform, the PC. But last week, in a crazy pants announcement by Valve, it was revealed that anyone who bought a PS3 copy of "Portal 2" and connected it with a Steam account would receive a free copy of the game on the PC. So, while I will still own Portal 2 on the PC, as originally planned, Sony has insured that I will still be laying down another $60 on a PS3 game. Whatever backroom business shenanigans Sony had to agree to with Valve to produce this amazing offer will be stuff of legends!

Last is a game that I have toyed with buying in the past, Tiger Woods PGA Tour [Insert Year]. I have only bought one of these games in the past, and while I am not a fan or player of "meat space" golf, I poured hours into it. The time I spent with Tiger 05 for the Xbox led to some of the most fun I have ever had with a sports game and I have for the past few years attempted to recapture that with the series more recent entries. Tiger 09 for the Wii implemented Motion Plus, which nearly hooked me back into the experience. But the Wii's lackluster processing power failed to provide the graphical quality I had come to expect from a modern title. This year the PS3 edition of Tiger will feature Move support out of the box. Furthermore, the PS3 will have an exclusive collector's edition with five additional courses. So, not only has Sony gotten me to buy the PS3 copy of Tiger 12, I will be spending an additional $10 on the collector's edition, a modest increase at $2 per additional course. And let's not forget this further incentivises my purchase of the Playstation Move controller.

So, Sony, bravo. You have brilliantly marketed your system and new motion controller into $190 worth of games that I would have otherwise given to your competitors. Now please support the Move better than Nintendo did with the Motion Plus.

spacegandhi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 22

#1  Edited By spacegandhi

While I have owned my PS3 for several years now and have enjoyed many of the systems exclusive titles I frequently buy multi-platform games on my Xbox 360. I do this for several reasons ranging from my larger friends list on 360 to my general preference of the 360 controller. However, this year Sony has, through good ol' fashion business marketing synergy, enticed me to buy three multi-platform games on the PS3. 

At last year's E3 press conference Sony unveiled two of these titles. The first being Dead Space 2. With each copy of Dead Space 2, a game whose predecessor I played on 360, came with a copy of Dead Space: Extraction. So, for no additional cost I would be given a second game. And one that I had been interested in playing on the Wii several years prior. In actuality I had played Extraction previously for a short period of time. I thought the game was atrociously slow for a "guided first person experience," but none the less a free game is a free game. That is unless you count the $50 Playstation Move controller I will need to buy if I wish to play this now, supposedly free, game. So, to reiterate, Sony has gotten me to purchase a game I was planning on buying for 360, for a game I didn't even like, that I must buy a $50 controller for.

Also announced at last year's presser was the news that Portal 2 would be coming to the PS3, ending the long silence between Valve and Sony that came in the wake of the third-party ported, and completely broken, Orange Box for PS3. Along with this announcement came the news of a revolutionary cloud support system via Steam for the PS3 edition of Portal 2. This did, though, not entirely concern me as I still planned on purchasing Portal 2 on what many would assume be its lead-platform, the PC. But last week, in a crazy pants announcement by Valve, it was revealed that anyone who bought a PS3 copy of "Portal 2" and connected it with a Steam account would receive a free copy of the game on the PC. So, while I will still own Portal 2 on the PC, as originally planned, Sony has insured that I will still be laying down another $60 on a PS3 game. Whatever backroom business shenanigans Sony had to agree to with Valve to produce this amazing offer will be stuff of legends!

Last is a game that I have toyed with buying in the past, Tiger Woods PGA Tour [Insert Year]. I have only bought one of these games in the past, and while I am not a fan or player of "meat space" golf, I poured hours into it. The time I spent with Tiger 05 for the Xbox led to some of the most fun I have ever had with a sports game and I have for the past few years attempted to recapture that with the series more recent entries. Tiger 09 for the Wii implemented Motion Plus, which nearly hooked me back into the experience. But the Wii's lackluster processing power failed to provide the graphical quality I had come to expect from a modern title. This year the PS3 edition of Tiger will feature Move support out of the box. Furthermore, the PS3 will have an exclusive collector's edition with five additional courses. So, not only has Sony gotten me to buy the PS3 copy of Tiger 12, I will be spending an additional $10 on the collector's edition, a modest increase at $2 per additional course. And let's not forget this further incentivises my purchase of the Playstation Move controller.

So, Sony, bravo. You have brilliantly marketed your system and new motion controller into $190 worth of games that I would have otherwise given to your competitors. Now please support the Move better than Nintendo did with the Motion Plus.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By xyzygy

Sony's sales for the past few months were actually much lower than the same time last year, so it must not be helping much in the grand scale.

haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By haggis

I know why I buy multi-platform games for my 360 rather than my PS3, but I've long been curious as to why others have generally been doing the same. Honestly, I can't see myself buying Portal 2 for the PS3, but if there is some incentive, sure, I'd consider it. It's one of the great mysteries of this console generation. It can't all just boil down to people wanting the achievements, can it? For some reason the 360 tends to have an edge in visuals over the PS3 on multi-platform titles, but never so much that it makes a significant difference.

Sony's sales have been a bit disappointing. If they're reduced to making backroom deals (which are, I'm sure, not cheap), I have to imagine that something else is wrong behind the scenes.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#4  Edited By Bones8677
@xyzygy said:
" Sony's sales for the past few months were actually much lower than the same time last year, so it must not be helping much in the grand scale. "
Probably because it was a shit year for Sony exclusives.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By MikkaQ
@Bones8677 said:
" @xyzygy said:
" Sony's sales for the past few months were actually much lower than the same time last year, so it must not be helping much in the grand scale. "
Probably because it was a shit year for Sony exclusives. "
I have a feeling it'll change this year. Last year was bad for both consoles for exclusives, it seems the PC had a mini-renaissance. 

But sony looks like it's doing the right moves hooking up these exclusive bonuses for their games, which for people like me, who own both consoles but default to the Xbox, can tip the scales enough to start buying the PS3 versions of multiplat games. 
Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By Bones8677
@XII_Sniper said:
" @Bones8677 said:
" @xyzygy said:
Probably because it was a shit year for Sony exclusives. "
I have a feeling it'll change this year. Last year was bad for both consoles for exclusives, it seems the PC had a mini-renaissance.   But sony looks like it's doing the right moves hooking up these exclusive bonuses for their games, which for people like me, who own both consoles but default to the Xbox, can tip the scales enough to start buying the PS3 versions of multiplat games.  "
Yeah this year looks to be a great year for Sony exclusives. Right off the bat, it has a lot more than Microsoft.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#7  Edited By blueduck

What games does the 360 have coming for it this year or even next?

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Example1013
@blueduck: Gears 3? 

Yeah, I think that about covers it.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@xyzygy said:
Last year they had Uncharted 2 out and MAG, Heavy Rain and God of War 3 due soon after.  This year they had the disappointing Gran Turismo 5 and are looking forward to LittleBigPlanet 2 and a year-later release of Mass Effect 2.
xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy
@Brodehouse said:
" @xyzygy said:
Last year they had Uncharted 2 out and MAG, Heavy Rain and God of War 3 due soon after.  This year they had the disappointing Gran Turismo 5 and are looking forward to LittleBigPlanet 2 and a year-later release of Mass Effect 2. "
This is true. Hopefully they will get more sales next holiday - their lineup of games this year deserves it.
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By time allen
@haggis said:
" Honestly, I can't see myself buying Portal 2 for the PS3, but if there is some incentive, sure, I'd consider it.  "
you've read about the steam + psn stuff going on with the portal 2 port, right? after reading that i don't know why anybody wouldn't buy the ps3 version.
FritzDude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FritzDude

SomeJerk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SomeJerk

If the 360 Portal 2 won't have cross-platform gaming like the PC one, then that's it, proof Sony haven't moneyhatted anybody at Valve.

Though they should.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Spoonman671
@SpaceGandhi:   You don't actually need the Move to play Extraction.  You can just use a dual shock and, according to IGN, it works fine.
ninjakiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By ninjakiller

Really?  Sony's been going to shit as of lately imo.  Move and 3d, two things I have zero interest in.  

mnzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By mnzy
@somejerk:  Cross-plattforming for Portal 2 on the 360 won't happen. 360 is Microsoft, they want Games for WIndows Live to succeed, they can't do that with Valve, who are tied to its competitor Steam. I think Sony and Valve have finally realised that they should attack this problem Microsoft has and try to make the PS3 the "Steam-console".

But I want to say that Sony had some bad PR with Super Meat Boy. Probably not that many people care about it, but my Game of the Year was not on the PS3 just because the people responsible for titles like that were lazy or whatever. I would've hated that if I wouldn't own a 360.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By haggis
@Toms115:  Cross-platform play doesn't mean much to me. I understand why some would like this, but for me it doesn't add any value.
Aus_azn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Aus_azn

When I came into this thread, I was expecting some mention of Kevin Butler, the second-best marketing icon of the modern day (of course, the top man is Isiah Mustafa).

I didn't know about the Portal 2 thing. Damn it, Sony/Valve just got some more of my damn money!

TwoOneFive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By TwoOneFive
@ninjakiller said:
" Really?  Sony's been going to shit as of lately imo.  Move and 3d, two things I have zero interest in.   "
well i guess you represent the entire market
time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By time allen
@haggis: you get a free pc version of the game just for buying the ps3 version and linking your psn and steam accounts lol. idk why anybody who has a ps3 and a pc would take a pass on that.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By haggis
@Toms115: Because my PCs are: a four-year-old laptop that can barely play the original Portal (which I got off steam, by the way, back when they were giving it away), and a media server based on my last gaming PC build that I put together back in 2006 and isn't even connected to a monitor. So yeah, I'll take a pass on that. Since I don't have any intention of building a new gaming PC or buying a new laptop, the free PC version has little value to me. If they'd put something in the game itself for the PS3 that didn't come with the 360 version, I'd be more likely to consider it. 

Beside the fact that, why would I care to have the same game on two platforms? Sure, it's free, but even if I had a PC decent enough to play the game, I doubt I'd play it on both. Why would I? Just because I could?
face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By face15

Sony is picking up it's game lately. This year it has a heap of exclusives, plus lots of these additional content multi-platform games, and their usual flow of good downloadable games. They're also supporting 3D and the Move really really well by including it into most of it's exclusives (and yes I know that a most people don't really care, but it's optional and promotes people buying their products so it is a good move for them). And they're also supporting their downloadable content with Playstation Plus and Rewards. 
They really seem to be making a push to become a more dominant, or at least competitive console. 

face15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By face15
@haggis: Keep in mind that the PS3 version has full support for the Steam cloud, so your saves carry from PC to PS3 and back. You don't have to play it through twice you can play it once using whatever device is convenient at the times you want to play. While that mightn't work for you, it is very desirable for a lot of people. I fully intend to play primarily on my PlayStation but play on my laptop when I'm at my mates house. 
It also has cross platform play for the co-op mode. So if I have a friend playing on the PC that I want to play with I totally can. Again, very desirable for a lot of people.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By haggis
@face15:  I understand all that, it just doesn't appeal to me, primarily because I don't have a decent gaming PC. I'm sure many gamers will find this a decent deal, it's just that I don't. The question was, after all, why I said I wouldn't be likely to buy it on the PS3. None of these incentives work for me. But I'm sure they'll lure some people who have both consoles from buying it for the 360.
zityz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By zityz

The Move is an aftermarket product. With all aftermarket products it will have a splish and a splash here and there. That's it. It will never have par amount of games that the normal controller will. It's just to say "hey we have motion controller too"  
Pretty much like the Kinect. 

Enjoy your Tigers woods however. It maybe the best thing that The Move will have going for it in its favor yet.

time allen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By time allen
@haggis: fair enough. portal 2 is going to be great regardless of platform so go for whichever suits you most.
blueduck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By blueduck

I don't know why anyone would buy a valve game on the 360. The orange box was an abortion on the 360 compared to on the pc.

HadesTimes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#28  Edited By HadesTimes

Problem with Sony marketing is that anyone who isn't a hardcore gamer, doesn't know when half their games are coming out.  They still have a LONG WAY to go in marketing their platform exclusives.