• 138 results
#1 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

Whether it be a discontinued MMO, it is to hard to find, to expensive, maybe it has aged to the point of being unplayable. What is a game you wish you could play now or back in the day could've played but can't for some reason or another?

After watching the Matrix Online: Not Like This video series, I think I really would've loved the game, and this comes from someone how hates MMO's. I love the Matrix fiction in all 3 movies, I enjoyed both Enter the Matrix and Path of Neo games but I didn't even know the MMO existed until way after it ended. I would've completely overlooked it's faults and just enjoyed being in a world of fiction that I admire and find interesting. Matrix Online, R.I.P.

#2 Posted by j0lter (245 posts) -

Everquest 2. I loved this game to death. But it got so ruined to the point that i can't stand the people in it nor the updates any longer.

#3 Posted by BabyChooChoo (4638 posts) -

Sword of the New World is the first game that comes to mind. Fuck me, not only has that game aged terribly in the controls and graphics department, it's reached a point where there has been so much shit added that I look at it and just go "nope."

I'll be real with you: if you think you know what grinding is, then you are fucking kidding yourself until you have played this game. The grind in this game is beyond brutal. It's fucking sadistic at times. I'm not even joking. Any jrpg or Korean MMO you can think of has nothing on this game when it comes to grinding. That said, it had a real nice charm to it. The setting, the music, the gameplay, the characters, and pretty much everything was at least in some little way unique to this game. I won't go into detail, but let's just say certain systems made the grind "manageable," for lack of a better word, whether they intended them to be used in that way or not.

The community, like most MMOs, had it's ups and down, but I have msotly positive memories. I remember spending something like 13 hours (or some crazy shit like that) chilling and hanging out with some people in this one area trying to grind for the items needed to get one of the new characters. Everyone was kinda on the same page because we were all miserable lol.

That was years and years ago though. These days, even if I had the time, no fucking way would I do it again lol

#4 Posted by FancySoapsMan (5841 posts) -

Panzer Dragoon Saga and Suikoden II are the first to come to mind. They're just so damn expensive. $200+ for a copy O_o 

There are also various PC games that I can't play, either because they're too new for my computer to handle, or because they're too old and don't work well. 

The games I want to play the most but might never get to though are the 2nd and 3rd games in the Trails in the Sky trilogy. The first game in the series is one of my favorites ever and the ending was fucking awesome, but it left off on a pretty big cliffhanger. ;______;

#5 Posted by Demoskinos (15013 posts) -

I really wish Metal Gear Online was still a thing. =(

#6 Posted by pyromagnestir (4326 posts) -

Devil May Cry. I liked the aesthetics so, so much but the gameplay is not my thing.

#7 Posted by SirOptimusPrime (2025 posts) -

Torchlight II. I love dungeon crawlers, I loved Torchlight, but for some godforsaken reason I cannot play it for longer than a few minutes. It's not even boredom really, I just kind of exit out of some strange compulsion.

I would have loved to play System Shock 2 in the day because, although I enjoy games even older than it, some of the tension is lost because I just laugh at some of the textures and the polygon nightmares.

#8 Posted by DoctorWelch (2774 posts) -

Anyone who doesn't say EVE Online is wrong.

#9 Posted by Zekhariah (697 posts) -

Starcraft 2 multiplayer. It can be fun, but it gets me stressed out and turns into a miserable trial kind of fast.

Crysis 2 also fits here, as it is clearly a great game that can be enjoyed in parts.... But in practice it just leads me into wanting more Quake 2 (played this for the first time in 2011 O.o) / Half-Life / Serious Sam style gameplay.

#10 Posted by aceofspudz (938 posts) -

The original Planetside was effectively ruined by an incompetent-beyond-belief live team.

#11 Posted by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

@DoctorWelch said:

I'll go with this. I'd love to delve into EVE, but my specs are just far too shitty to run it.

#12 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

I would really love to check out the original Star Wars Online.. I always wanted to play it but never got a chance before the overhaul..

#13 Edited by Pr1mus (3951 posts) -

I wish i had been a part of PC gaming in the 90s.

Everything from Doom and the Quake games to games like System Shock and strategy games like Syndicate and Dungeon Keeper when these games were new.

I find it really hard nowadays to enjoy older games (PC or otherwise) if i don't have any prior experience with them when they were still new and exciting even though i've been playing games since the late 80s.

@DoctorWelch said:

I find reading about EVE Online fascinating but i'm not insane yet.

#14 Posted by Coafi (1490 posts) -

Shenmue, I really wish they would re-release this game already!

#15 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

XCOM, if I were to start playing it I wouldn't sleep and probably drop a point in GPA.

#16 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11910 posts) -

There are plenty of older RPGs (i.e. DOS era) that I would be interested in playing if not for the part where they're all some combination of absurdly hard, obtuse or aimless. Like Wizardry VII. That game is balls hard and comes from an era where hand-holding wasn't a thing that existed. Maybe one day I will just print out a guide and try to break through that initial difficulty, but at some point I wonder if the time and effort invested would bring worthwhile results.

Also, I think now I would be really interested in old Everquest or Ultima Online. Not any of this remastered junk, I'm talking about the golden era for those games.

#17 Posted by yellownumber5 (367 posts) -

Elderscrolls III: Morrowind.

I had the chance many of times to get the xbox version. I finally got it for the PC, but my current laptop is only a netbook and a little choppy to play it. Just leaves me wanting more.

#18 Posted by myketuna (1725 posts) -

Amnesia.

Because I'm afraid.

#19 Posted by SathingtonWaltz (2053 posts) -

Dwarf Fortress. I want to.... but I can't (you know what I mean).

#20 Posted by JFunkhouser (69 posts) -

Snatcher. Metal Gear and Kojima isn't my thing at all, but damnit Snatcher looks awesome.

#21 Edited by TopSteer (671 posts) -

Chromehounds multiplayer. I love that game, still might be some of the most fun I've had online this generation.

Edit: Oh and yeah, there's a ton of Japanese games I wish I could play. Also, how could I forget Shining Force 3? As a huge Shining Force fan it kills me that only the first scenario was released over here and that I'll probably never play the complete version.

#22 Posted by ajamafalous (12035 posts) -

Many PS3 exclusives (especially Ratchet & Clank; my favorite PS2 games) 
Tabula Rasa 
Horror games (I can't stand jump scares)

#23 Posted by Genkkaku (737 posts) -

Also the original Steel Battalion with that big 40 odd button cotroller would be super cool to test drive..

#24 Posted by Tylea002 (2295 posts) -

Every single awesome PlayStation exclusive.

#25 Posted by Laurentech (127 posts) -

A couple of my favorite online multiplayer games. My current life situation doesn't allow me access to internet that is decent enough to play online games. Other than that, I've missed a lot of this generation's console exclusive games that I don't have the hardware for.

#26 Posted by ViciousReiven (821 posts) -

Majestic (the old ARG the Bombcast used to talk about) 
Panzer Dragoon Saga (Saturn emulation still kinda blows, and getting a real Saturn for one game is super dumb) 
Gravity Rush (I ain't getting a Vita until a price drop damnit!) 
.hack//Fragment (Never came out in America, Japanese servers have been gone for a long time anyway) 
.hack//Link (will probably never be translated) 
Shadow Tower Abyss (never released outside Japan) 

Practically any game that doesn't have invert options for the camera, I can't readapt to standard for some reason, combined with OCD makes it impossible to play a bunch of great games :(

#27 Posted by amir90 (2167 posts) -

Crysis 2 and Starcraft 2 MP.

#28 Posted by Amafi (876 posts) -

Pre-NGE star wars galaxies. Just around the time of the JTL expansion release or so. Shit was so much goddamned FUN. Would also give me a reason to get a new flight stick.

#29 Posted by matti00 (674 posts) -

@yellownumber5 said:

Elderscrolls III: Morrowind.

I had the chance many of times to get the xbox version. I finally got it for the PC, but my current laptop is only a netbook and a little choppy to play it. Just leaves me wanting more.

Top three Elder Scrolls games:

1. Skyrim
  2. Morrowind
  3. Oblivion

I loved Morrowind, if you can you should definitely give it a go. There's some great mods out there, and it's unique among the others in that you can make yourself an invincible, flying god within the boundries of the game.

#30 Posted by notdavid (840 posts) -

I never played Mass Effect because I don't have a 360 or a capable PC, and I wanted to start from the beginning. Now that Trilogy's coming, I'll finally be able to dig into it.

#31 Posted by NoobSauceG7 (1258 posts) -

Earthbound. I hear good things about it but I can't seem to get it.

#32 Posted by VarkhanMB (159 posts) -

Guild Wars 2, World of Warcraft, Star Wars: The Old Republic

Lot of MMO's I know. Time doesn't allow, and I'd have to resub to Star Wars and WoW... but I have no interest in doing that. I just want to see what's changed since I left.

Non-MMO I guess I'd like to play LA Noire (I'm late, eh?) but time won't allow either. I also don't think I have the patience for it.

#33 Posted by StarvingGamer (8375 posts) -

Mists of Pandaria with my friends.

They've all burned out on WoW after years of hardcore guild stuff. I was always much more casual about it, playing each expansion for a month or two, and a lot of the stuff in Pandaria seems worth experiencing once. But playing by myself would suck.

#34 Posted by Jrinswand (1710 posts) -

I really wish that I liked Darksiders more. It seems like something I should absolutely love. It has all of the components. It is an homage to The Legend of Zelda, it is about demons, and the art director is Joe Madureira, one of my favorite comic book artists from when I was a kid. But for whatever reason, I just can't get into it. I think it is the whole "enter room, door locks behind you, defeat wave of baddies" thing that it seems to do constantly.

#35 Posted by ConfusedOwl (952 posts) -

I want to say any game released this year because of no money, but I don't think that counts. So Tales of Symphonia. People want way to much for it and I'm not willing to pay 200$ for a Gamecube game no matter how rare it is so I'll continue to be without it, possibly forever.

#36 Posted by TekZero (2674 posts) -

I just bought Crusader Kings 2, but none of my computers can play it. I'm really bummed out by that.

#37 Edited by Amafi (876 posts) -

@Ezakael said:

I want to say any game released this year because of no money, but I don't think that counts. So Tales of Symphonia. People want way to much for it and I'm not willing to pay 200$ for a Gamecube game no matter how rare it is so I'll continue to be without it, possibly forever.

GC virtual console games on Wii-U, at least I'm pretty sure I heard something about that. And I have to imagine tales of symphonia will be on there if they do it.

Or, you know, just get the ROM and an emulator.

#38 Edited by believer258 (11991 posts) -

I can't think of a single one that I can't play that I want to for any reasons other than money and time limits.

EDIT: Wait! See, I'm running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and Batman Arkham City does not want to work with it, so I can't play that. But at some point in the future I'm sure it will be playable. And, frankly, if I worked with it enough I could probably get it to run just fine. I just don't feel like spending hours getting that game to work when all of my other ones work just fine.

#39 Posted by Nightriff (5148 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I can't think of a single one that I can't play that I want to for any reasons other than money and time limits.

EDIT: Wait! See, I'm running the Windows 8 Consumer Preview, and Batman Arkham City does not want to work with it, so I can't play that. But at some point in the future I'm sure it will be playable. And, frankly, if I worked with it enough I could probably get it to run just fine. I just don't feel like spending hours getting that game to work when all of my other ones work just fine.

Alright, how about a game that you wanted to play at some point but couldn't then and now you still haven't played it. Got any of those?

#40 Posted by CooVee (146 posts) -

I think I would really enjoy Civilization 5 but my PC couldn't possibly handle it. 

#41 Posted by Amafi (876 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I'm guessing it's the old Games for Windows Live issue? I had that when I got Dawn of War II from steam, couldn't get G4WL to work at all.

Honestly can't remember how I fixed it, think I basically just googled "fuck, why won't games for windows live work windows 8" and did what it told me to.

It came down to uninstalling the games for windows client, downloading another version, and reinstalling, basically. Think it was the version bundled with MS Flight, but I'm not completely sure.

Either way, you can get around it, I had to live at my dad's place without a proper computer for a month (renovations) and finished arkham city on a laptop running Win8 CP.

#42 Posted by Zaccheus (1797 posts) -

Like some people here and even some of the GB crew I'd love to be inside the EVE Online world. I could never ever actually play that game, but the virtual world aspect of it seems incredible. Is there any kind of EVE Online news for outsiders website?

#43 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Tekken.

I'm trying to learn it but it has been so long since Tekken 3. I'll get there, as Marvel vs. Capcom was even more intimidating to begin with. (learning 3 characters vs 1 or 2)

#44 Posted by Klei (1768 posts) -

World of Warcraft, I love the game, but quit since 2008. I've got a girlfriend and bills now, no more teen years.

Dark Souls. I always stop at Sen's Fortress. I'm a pussy.

Planescape Torment. I drool in front of the sheer awesomeness of this game, yet I can't manage to play it for long.

#45 Posted by Jimbo (9869 posts) -

Space Polo

#46 Posted by Encephalon (1284 posts) -

Valkyria Chronicles.

#47 Posted by BaneFireLord (2950 posts) -

Oblivion for PC. It really doesn't get along well with Windows 7.

#48 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

I still can't think of anything, though there probably is something that I'm just not remembering well. I think I wanted to play Geist pretty badly at some point, but apparently that game didn't turn out so well.

@Amafi said:

@believer258 said:

I'm guessing it's the old Games for Windows Live issue? I had that when I got Dawn of War II from steam, couldn't get G4WL to work at all.

Honestly can't remember how I fixed it, think I basically just googled "fuck, why won't games for windows live work windows 8" and did what it told me to.

It came down to uninstalling the games for windows client, downloading another version, and reinstalling, basically. Think it was the version bundled with MS Flight, but I'm not completely sure.

Either way, you can get around it, I had to live at my dad's place without a proper computer for a month (renovations) and finished arkham city on a laptop running Win8 CP.

So I thought. GFWL is a decent idea but it really, really sucks in execution. I'll get around to fixing it soon.

#49 Posted by rockyhorrorgerri (374 posts) -

Day of the Tentacle and Frankentstien through the eyes of the Monster.

DOTT Because its uncommon to find only get it off ebay or amazon. and both I can't play on my computer... I know there are ways around it but I don't know how to do that and I don't want to mess up my computer trying.

#50 Edited by Akeldama (4253 posts) -

Mass Effect 2 and 3.