#1 Edited by StriderNo9 (1016 posts) -

So I've been thinking with the new consoles coming out I want a new TV that spits out 1080p as oppose to the 720p my current gaming TV does now. I haven't been TV shopping in quite some time and I'm hearing a lot of conflicting reports on things.

What I'm ideally looking for is a 32 to 42 inch with that does 1080p. I don't need it to do 3D or anything fancy, and I'm finding sets that seem to be good but from what I'm reading a 60Hz is the best way to go for just gaming, because 120Hz has some input lag. Also, I'm looking for an LCD because I'm hearing LED lit LCD has lag also, unless I am misreading that and there is no correlation between LED and lag, I'm a bit confused. I'm not looking to spend too much money, ideally I'm finding something in the $400 range and getting it for cheaper on Black Friday or Cyber Monday.

Oh and when it comes to response time, anything under 10ms would be good I assume or is it more like 6ms?

#2 Edited by CaLe (3678 posts) -

Sony KDL42W653

Quote:

Sony’s 2013 Bravias have proven to be superb gaming TVs, and the W65 is no exception. With [Scene Select] set to “Game“, the 42W653A effortlessly smashed through our existing input lag record (held by another Sony – the W8), posting a jaw-dropping figure of 14.6ms on the Leo Bodnar lag tester. Engaging [LED Motion Mode] – should you wish to do so – barely increased the lag by a mere 6ms to 20.5ms which is an excellent level of responsiveness no other non-Sony HDTVs have been capable of matching to date. Add full 4:4:4 reproduction (in [Game] and [Graphics] mode) to the equation, and we’re convinced you won’t find a better flat-screen television on which to play video games at the moment.

I use it and it seems just as fast as my 2ms monitor. I can't perceive any lag even with mouse movement.

#3 Posted by JJOR64 (18783 posts) -
#4 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

Get a 42" Panasonic plasma before they are out of stock. (forever, cus Panasonic have called it quits on plasmas - it's a sad year for TVs)

They are the best TVs and definitely the best plasmas you can buy, unless you drop $1500+ on a really high end LED. (and even then they probably won't be better)

Now we just wait for OLED to become more affordable, and then you get the best of plasma with the best energy efficiency.

#5 Posted by StriderNo9 (1016 posts) -

Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I probably can't afford a plasma at the moment.

#6 Posted by bigjeffrey (4160 posts) -

Should of gone to WalMart

#7 Posted by hmoney001 (26 posts) -

Panasonic S60 is great for gaming. Comes in 42".

#8 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1084 posts) -

There are cheap 3D TVs out there, if you look for it you may find some cheaper than the regular ones.

I have a 43" 3D Plasma, i like it a lot except for the heat and the stupidly high power consumption.

#9 Posted by StriderNo9 (1016 posts) -
#10 Posted by hmoney001 (26 posts) -

@striderno9: No problems. I have the 50" S60 and it feels great to play games on. I didn't notice how much my old TV lagged till I got the S60 and played some fighting games on it.

#11 Posted by LoveSpuds (113 posts) -

@cale said:

Sony KDL42W653

Quote:

Sony’s 2013 Bravias have proven to be superb gaming TVs, and the W65 is no exception. With [Scene Select] set to “Game“, the 42W653A effortlessly smashed through our existing input lag record (held by another Sony – the W8), posting a jaw-dropping figure of 14.6ms on the Leo Bodnar lag tester. Engaging [LED Motion Mode] – should you wish to do so – barely increased the lag by a mere 6ms to 20.5ms which is an excellent level of responsiveness no other non-Sony HDTVs have been capable of matching to date. Add full 4:4:4 reproduction (in [Game] and [Graphics] mode) to the equation, and we’re convinced you won’t find a better flat-screen television on which to play video games at the moment.

I use it and it seems just as fast as my 2ms monitor. I can't perceive any lag even with mouse movement.

Absolutely back this up 100%. Tremendous television!

#12 Edited by jasbir (107 posts) -

get a led tv their good for games and watching movies.