A Giant Bomb Wiicret Santa... can it be done?

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

Edited By Dalai
Ho ho ho!
Ho ho ho!
I think you all know what I want to do here... kill myself for that grossly overplayed pun.

Yeah, I just thought about this today and wondered why I never thought of it before.  Yes, a forumwide Giant Bomb Wiicret Santa!  You all probably know that the Wii Shop thing has a gift feature where you can send a game to anybody on your friends list.  I've never touched it before, but I think now is a good time to give it a try.

Setting up ground rules and the process should be the easy part... the hard part might be making sure nobody got totally jipped.  I don't want to see anyone send a game to someone without getting nothing in return from another.  Other than that, I think we can do this.

So comments on the potential Giant Bomb Wiicret Santa... anybody approve, reject?  If there's no objections and enough people, I'll set this up Wednesday or Thursday.  Any suggestions for set rules would also be appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure how the 360 or PS3 works when it comes to gifting... I know you can send each other Microsoft Points somehow, but actual downloadable games?  If someone wants to attempt a XBLA or PSN Secret Santa... maybe a Steamcret Santa?

That's it... no more puns.  I'm through.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Dalai
Ho ho ho!
Ho ho ho!
I think you all know what I want to do here... kill myself for that grossly overplayed pun.

Yeah, I just thought about this today and wondered why I never thought of it before.  Yes, a forumwide Giant Bomb Wiicret Santa!  You all probably know that the Wii Shop thing has a gift feature where you can send a game to anybody on your friends list.  I've never touched it before, but I think now is a good time to give it a try.

Setting up ground rules and the process should be the easy part... the hard part might be making sure nobody got totally jipped.  I don't want to see anyone send a game to someone without getting nothing in return from another.  Other than that, I think we can do this.

So comments on the potential Giant Bomb Wiicret Santa... anybody approve, reject?  If there's no objections and enough people, I'll set this up Wednesday or Thursday.  Any suggestions for set rules would also be appreciated.

Also, I'm not sure how the 360 or PS3 works when it comes to gifting... I know you can send each other Microsoft Points somehow, but actual downloadable games?  If someone wants to attempt a XBLA or PSN Secret Santa... maybe a Steamcret Santa?

That's it... no more puns.  I'm through.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By TheGreatGuero

That's a nice idea. Cute name for it too. If I had more than like 2 people on my friend's list, maybe I'd participate. Regardless, good luck with this. I hope it works out.

dsplayer1010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By dsplayer1010

Penny Arcade's Secret satan seems to work out well every year. Good luck

bekern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By bekern

If there is a way to give gifts via XBL I'd totally do this. I have some points left over and there isn't any arcade games/DLC I'm into right now. I'd totally be into putting them toward some nice bomber for Christmas ;).

edit- and as for some guidelines maybe put a limit on how much to spend? How much are wiiware games, like $10? Maybe you could make it so people have to spend at least $10 for their secret santa, so nobody gets ripped off.

Thrawn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#5  Edited By Thrawn1

i think broadening this idea to other platforms would help it gain a lot more popularity. i mean,  the wii???

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Dalai
TheGreatGuero said:
"That's a nice idea. Cute name for it too. If I had more than like 2 people on my friend's list, maybe I'd participate. Regardless, good luck with this. I hope it works out."
I don't see why you can't participate.  Friend Code swapping isn't going to be a problem despite how crappy Friend Codes are in general.  I think anybody with a Wii and an internet connection could do this.

bekern said:
"If there is a way to give gifts via XBL I'd totally do this. I have some points left over and there isn't any arcade games/DLC I'm into right now. I'd totally be into putting them toward some nice bomber for Christmas ;).

edit- and as for some guidelines maybe put a limit on how much to spend? How much are wiiware games, like $10? Maybe you could make it so people have to spend at least $10 for their secret santa, so nobody gets ripped off."
I was thinking maybe $10 minimum, more if you're feeling extra generous... maybe a $15-20 cap so nobody breaks the bank.  You can definitely mix and match with that price point... there are a lot of decent $5-$10 WiiWare games plus all those NES titles.

Thrawn said:
"i think broadening this idea to other platforms would help it gain a lot more popularity. i mean,  the wii???"
I would like to, but the Wii is the only console in which you can gift an actual game... not just points.  I did say if anybody wants to do a 360 Secret Santa, they could and should, but it wouldn't really work for XBLA or PSN as far as I know.  It would be a bit more complex if you guys want to swap disc-based games and I don't know if address swapping is in my best interest just yet.
TheGreatGuero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By TheGreatGuero

Alright, alright. I'll do it. I'm in. If this really gets going, send me a PM and let me know what I gotta do. Dude, I just better not be getting Soccer on the NES...
OR ELSE!