#1 Posted by Amhotep (46 posts) -

Hey Bombers, this community always comes through with some great suggestions so I'm going to ask you all for a very specific type of game I'm looking to play and maybe you can toss some suggestions my way.

So my room-mate and I are looking to play a game together this summer, but there is a very specific type of game we're looking for and quite frankly I couldn't think of many games that fit exactly what we wanted. I'll make a quick list of what we hope to find.

1. An old school RPG in the vein of Baldur's Gate 1 and 2.

2. A strong compelling story.

3. Co-operative multiplayer is a must

4. Ideally some sort of loot collection aspect to the game

I've played both Neverwinter 1 and Neverwinter 2 so I'm not too interested in going back and playing either of those games. But if you internet folk have any other suggestions that you think will fit what we're looking for I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!

#2 Posted by Snipper138 (341 posts) -

Well Diablo 3 fits for 3 and 4. Not too sure what else there is. I'd recommend Planescape: Torment but there's no multiplayer in that.

#3 Posted by Jesna (90 posts) -

Icewind Dale I and II don't have the strongest stories, but they fit the other categories. Finding co-op with a good narrative will be the challenge.

#4 Edited by Amhotep (46 posts) -

@Snipper138 said:

Well Diablo 3 fits for 3 and 4. Not too sure what else there is. I'd recommend Planescape: Torment but there's no multiplayer in that.

Yeah I'm playing some D3 on and off, but the narrative isn't that great. Still an amazing game though.

@DiscoViking said:

Icewind Dale I and II don't have the strongest stories, but they fit the other categories. Finding co-op with a good narrative will be the challenge.

Yeah I was thinking that, what's wrong with the narrative in your opinion? Is it just a case of cliché fantasy?

#5 Posted by Jesna (90 posts) -

@Amhotep: There are some clichés here and there, but the problem is more that there isn't very much story at all. Icewind Dale 1 has some interesting set-ups and encounters, and I really enjoyed the story bits at the end, but the vast majority of the game is combat oriented. Icewind Dale 2 has a story somewhere, but it is so minimal that I can't even recall what it's about. Both are pretty good games otherwise, and they do have co-op so they might be your best bet anyway.

#6 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

Just Cause 2.

Nah. Unfortunately this particular kind of game is kinda hard to find, which is sad because it's the exact kind of game I'd love to see. Playing Dragon Age with real people as my party would be awesome. I don't really have many suggestions for you but I'll wish you good luck and keep up with any suggestions as I'd be interested in this myself.

#7 Posted by Amhotep (46 posts) -

It really seems like there would a significant underground following for a game like this. It's a shame one hasn't shipped recently. It seems like a lot of smaller studios are taking a lot of inspiration from older games lately, so maybe we will see something like this in the coming year.

#8 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@Amhotep said:

It really seems like there would a significant underground following for a game like this. It's a shame one hasn't shipped recently. It seems like a lot of smaller studios are taking a lot of inspiration from older games lately, so maybe we will see something like this in the coming year.

I think the problem with a small studio making a Baldur's Gate, is that it takes a lot more energy and time to create then a more dynamic game with a simpler story. Like a AudioSurf, or even a Deathspank.

#9 Posted by FateOfNever (1848 posts) -

Well.. Torchlight 2 will be out... sometime? Presumably this summer unless it gets delayed yet again. Not a super strong narrative, but, there is a story there.

Honestly I feel like your criteria are a bit too strict. I'm sure you have your reasons for them, they just greatly limit what games there are to even pick from, let alone what games are actually even recommendable.

I guess you could try and find the Baulder Gate Dark Alliance games if you want something D&D esque crossed with a Diablo feel, but, honestly I don't remember if those games are multiplayer or if they even have decent stories, and they may not be filled with enough old school RPG elements to really fit the category either (it's been a real long time since I played them. They also require older consoles, so, that's a factor too.)

#10 Edited by Sean2206 (264 posts) -

I myself have never played Baldur's gate so I don't know what it does and doesn't have, but my friend loves those games and wont stop talking about them. Anyway isn't their a re-make of those coming out soon that would fit your criteria if you haven't played them.

#11 Posted by SmiteOfHand (84 posts) -

Beyond Icewind Dale I and II it is pretty slim pickings if you are looking for that brand of RPG. Have you played Borderlands? GOTY edition on steam is relatively cheap (might want to wait for the sale coming up soon as it could be dirt cheap) and comes with a ton of content.

#12 Posted by The_Tolman (434 posts) -

Krator is supposed to be pretty good. Im picking that up when it hits mac.

#13 Posted by hughesman (312 posts) -

Multi-player and great storytelling go together about as well as peanut butter and fish. But the marvel ultimate alliance games are pretty good if not a bit janky.

#14 Edited by Karkarov (3176 posts) -

@The_Tolman said:

It is pretty good, too bad the multiplayer part this guy seems to think matters is disabled right now. Protip, strong multiplayer in an RPG pretty much never comes with the "strong and compelling story" bit included. Your legitimate options are.... Neverwinter Nights.... Neverwinter Nights..... and ..... Neverwinter Nights.

Also all RPG's have #4. It is sort of a genre staple and has been long before Diablo was even a pipe dream.

Well you could try the most recent Dungeon Siege... it has a better story than Diablo 3 at least.

#15 Posted by JackOhara (227 posts) -

Dark Souls

#16 Edited by Roger778 (960 posts) -

@Amhotep

I heard that Borderlands has co-op support for up to four people, and that it's a mixture of first-person shooting and role-playing. So, that might be worth playing. But beyond that, I'm not aware of any role-playing games that you can play with your friend.

#17 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Borderlands has:

• Co-op
  • Awesome loot
  • Decent character skill trees
  • A real shallow story

Totally worth some co-op time.

#18 Posted by Toxeia (730 posts) -

Game play is essentially Diablo, but I've totally forgotten the story to any of the Sacred games. I've had friends that ended up losing days at a time in that game, and I enjoyed it too.

It definitely meets 3 and 4, can't guarantee 2 though. 1 is probably not, but maybe worth a look at least.

#19 Posted by Amhotep (46 posts) -

@The_Tolman said:

Krator actually looks pretty great. I think it meets most of the requirements. Based on the QL the story doesn't seem to be especially deep or compelling, but it seems apparently clear that story and multiplayer don't really blend together all that well.I'll show my buddy the quicklook and see what he thinks.

Also Borderlands is a really good suggestion. Especially since the second one is coming out relatively soon, it would be nice to wrap up the first one before jumping head first into the second.

Thanks for all the positive feedback everyone

#20 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

If you have 3DSs Heroes Of Ruin is coming out in July.

#21 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

I can't believe I'm the one coming into a PC focused thread and suggesting console games, but did you ever think of some JRPG's? One of my greatest memories ever playing a game was when myself and three friends stayed up all night playing Final Fantasy 10. Since it was turn based we all got a say in what we did and we worked together to try and think out every possible battle and fought over what to do and when. It helps to have an odd number of friends though, that way there can always be a tie breaker when no one can agree. What made the entire thing so god dam amazing however, was that I had forgotten my memory card at home so we were playing it with no save file! So not only were we fighting over every little detail of each fight, but it added this whole layer of excitement/dread to every battle, no matter how small it was, because if we slacked off or fucked up it was game over for real.

For the above mentioned reason my vote is to go fire up some PS2/PS3 JRPG and spend some long weekend together co-oping it. If you guys are really brave then play it without saving. Even if you don't complete the game, the high you will get from playing without that safety net will be worth it. I can not recommend that everyone try it at least once enough.

#22 Posted by mandude (2669 posts) -

@crusader8463: No memory card. The original hardcore mode. Ah, sounds awesome. I had the exact same experience with my friends and FFX.

#23 Edited by WarlordPayne (701 posts) -

Final Fantasy VI allows you to assign characters to a second controller for a half assed co-op mode, at least on the SNES.

Arcanum is very close to what you're looking for, but the co-op campaign is separate from the single player and I don't know how long or good it is.

Co-Optimus is a great site when you want to find co-op games.

#24 Posted by crusader8463 (14423 posts) -

@mandude: Where did you guys get to? We never beat it our selves. We got to the second fight with Seymour Guado out on some cliff when we got a memory card. As soon as we got the card we wiped the next fight and to this day I have never gotten to the end of the game. An old issue of EGM spoiled it for me soon after, and I have never been able to get the motivation to play it again since.

#25 Posted by YoungFrey (1321 posts) -

Using the co-op primacy rule: give Dead Island a go.

#26 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18954 posts) -

@MordeaniisChaos said:

Just Cause 2.

Nah.

I lol'd

I swear!

#27 Posted by amiirasri (14 posts) -

If you are looking for story you might want to try the older PC Baldur's Gates or some NWN mods. They might have co-op play with a good story.

But in terms of co-ops I always liked the hack and slash type of games. Like:

PS2, Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance I & II. Dungeon Siege 3. No compelling story choices at all but you can level skills and find loot...

I always just enjoyed the co-op part of surviving a tough game with a friend. Story can wait for when I'm alone reading a book =P

#28 Edited by PeezMachine (240 posts) -

@YoungFrey said:

Using the co-op primacy rule: give Dead Island a go.

Good call. It's essentially Borderlands with zombies... except that Borderlands already has zombies.... and now I'm confused.

It's light on the "loot" requirement, but give Magicka a look. Cheap and effective - good light, summer fare.

Also can we get a check on Drakensang - does it have co-op? If so, that's some old-school-styled RPG for you. EDIT: It does NOT.

#29 Posted by Humanity (9581 posts) -

Nox was an interesting title but I can't remember if it had co-op.

#30 Posted by HandsomeMuffin (109 posts) -
#31 Posted by Zenogiasu (193 posts) -

Heroes of Ruin for the 3DS looks good, though I don't know too much about it. Diablo III is an obvious one, and so is Borderlands--I can't say enough good things about either of them. Check out Crimson Alliance, too--it's a more arcade-y experience, and maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it makes for some good old-fashioned, Gauntlet-esque fun. Good hunting!

#32 Posted by csl316 (8942 posts) -

Honesty, I had a damn good time with Dungeon Siege 3. It's not old school, but me and my buddy really enjoyed it. Though it doesn't seem to be too popular.

#33 Posted by Ryuku_Ryosake (217 posts) -

Well there is a game that meets your requirements but I feel terrible even suggesting it. But here goes Star Wars: The Old Republic. It definitely has the last 3 criteria. MMO combat is certainly old at this point. So I guess it's also got old school RPG combat.