A Legend is Born

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is currently Tuesday 20th October and Br ütal Legend has finally hit shelves. It’s a game I’ve been excited about for a long time and I’ve loved everything that I’ve seen of it. The game’s been getting some  good reactions from critics, with the lowest review score I’ve seen so far being a 3/5 from Giant Bomb and even that isn’t that low. Although I must admit my expectations for the game have been skewed by the Giant Bomb review a little, I don’t want them to be but despite what everyone else is saying, after hearing Ryan Davis talk about how flawed the gameplay of Brütal Legend is, it has pulled my confidence in the gameplay of the game down a bit. That might not be a bad thing though, with my lowered expectations it may mean I enjoy the gameplay all that much more and whatever the quality of the rest of the game the art style and general atmosphere of the game are looking as thrilling as they ever did. So you may be wondering if I’m so hyped for the game, why don’t I have it yet? Well I’m still waiting for my university maintenance grant etc. to come through and so I’ve been trying to keep costs down and considered buying Brütal Legend too much of a luxury, however I think I may just reach a point where I really do want this game badly enough to pay all that money for it even under current circumstances.

I haven’t played a whole lot of games this week, mainly because I’ve had university work for a considerable portion of the week, my sleep pattern has been all over the place and Friday, Saturday and Sunday were spent either making the journey back to my family’s home, staying there or making the journey back. Getting to and from there cost a total of £53 and took over 12 hours but it was very well worth it to celebrate the 18th birthday of my mind-blowingly awesome friend xCompanionxCubex .

Getting back on topic I did play quite a few game demos last week which I didn’t write about in my blog because there wasn’t realistically enough space but now that I have plenty of room to fill let me regale you with tales of my time trialing Xbox 360 titles. I was expecting brilliant things from the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo and even then it delivered more than I was expecting, the combat, stealth, environments, voice work, graphics and characters in that game are all brilliant and it’s just a shame that’s yet another game I can’t afford to be buying right now. One game that did surprise me was WET because I hadn’t heard a great deal of positivity towards that game so I didn’t presume I would find the demo that enjoyable, but I was won over by its style, music and general madness. I have heard however that the demo is not entirely representative of the full game and for this reason I’m assuming that if I actually did play the full version I’d probably run into a lot of the flaws people have been describing, which didn’t seem so distinguished in the demo. Then there was South Park Let’s Go Tower Defence Play! which definitely had some great South Park humour in the enemies, achievement names etc. but even in that short demo I kept hearing voice clips taken from the show repeated too many times and there’s not really anything which can disguise the fact that this is just another in a stupidly long line of tower defence games already created. Lastly there was of course the Brütal Legend demo which I strongly encourage you to try if you have any interest at all in the game.

And that’s all folks. Thanks for reading, keep playing those games and I’ll leave you with this breath-taking display of DDR skill. Peace out.

-Gamer_152    

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

It is currently Tuesday 20th October and Br ütal Legend has finally hit shelves. It’s a game I’ve been excited about for a long time and I’ve loved everything that I’ve seen of it. The game’s been getting some  good reactions from critics, with the lowest review score I’ve seen so far being a 3/5 from Giant Bomb and even that isn’t that low. Although I must admit my expectations for the game have been skewed by the Giant Bomb review a little, I don’t want them to be but despite what everyone else is saying, after hearing Ryan Davis talk about how flawed the gameplay of Brütal Legend is, it has pulled my confidence in the gameplay of the game down a bit. That might not be a bad thing though, with my lowered expectations it may mean I enjoy the gameplay all that much more and whatever the quality of the rest of the game the art style and general atmosphere of the game are looking as thrilling as they ever did. So you may be wondering if I’m so hyped for the game, why don’t I have it yet? Well I’m still waiting for my university maintenance grant etc. to come through and so I’ve been trying to keep costs down and considered buying Brütal Legend too much of a luxury, however I think I may just reach a point where I really do want this game badly enough to pay all that money for it even under current circumstances.

I haven’t played a whole lot of games this week, mainly because I’ve had university work for a considerable portion of the week, my sleep pattern has been all over the place and Friday, Saturday and Sunday were spent either making the journey back to my family’s home, staying there or making the journey back. Getting to and from there cost a total of £53 and took over 12 hours but it was very well worth it to celebrate the 18th birthday of my mind-blowingly awesome friend xCompanionxCubex .

Getting back on topic I did play quite a few game demos last week which I didn’t write about in my blog because there wasn’t realistically enough space but now that I have plenty of room to fill let me regale you with tales of my time trialing Xbox 360 titles. I was expecting brilliant things from the Batman: Arkham Asylum demo and even then it delivered more than I was expecting, the combat, stealth, environments, voice work, graphics and characters in that game are all brilliant and it’s just a shame that’s yet another game I can’t afford to be buying right now. One game that did surprise me was WET because I hadn’t heard a great deal of positivity towards that game so I didn’t presume I would find the demo that enjoyable, but I was won over by its style, music and general madness. I have heard however that the demo is not entirely representative of the full game and for this reason I’m assuming that if I actually did play the full version I’d probably run into a lot of the flaws people have been describing, which didn’t seem so distinguished in the demo. Then there was South Park Let’s Go Tower Defence Play! which definitely had some great South Park humour in the enemies, achievement names etc. but even in that short demo I kept hearing voice clips taken from the show repeated too many times and there’s not really anything which can disguise the fact that this is just another in a stupidly long line of tower defence games already created. Lastly there was of course the Brütal Legend demo which I strongly encourage you to try if you have any interest at all in the game.

And that’s all folks. Thanks for reading, keep playing those games and I’ll leave you with this breath-taking display of DDR skill. Peace out.

-Gamer_152