#1 Edited by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

I have every faith in GiantBomb, Comic Vine and Tested to retain their editorial spirits. I don't want to talk about the future prospects of each former WM site,or whatever other sensational drivel, i just wanna talk about UI. I also didn't want to post this on the Tested Site, to avoid diminishing from whats probably a really exciting time for the tested crew by filling their new forum with complaints.

Have you been over to the new Tested.com? See children, this is what happens when you don't let Dave Snider make your UI, the ultimate UI master.

Seriously though, one of the WhiskeyMedia's great features was the fantastic UI design. Simple, sleek, informative, easy to navigate, down to the color palette. Now the Tested site hurts my eyeballs, feels disorganized, the forums are completely unusable by a sane individual. I'm not talking about an unfinished roll out of a WebSite, the core design of Tested is atrocious, i might even say worse then Kotaku Web 2.0.

I really hope the GB redesign is handled by Dave, he really understands the minutia of great Web Design.

#2 Posted by AndrewB (7590 posts) -

I would imagine that the reason Dave is included with the Comic Vine/Giant Bomb move would be to remain in his role of designer.

Really makes you appreciate how amazing he is at his job.

#3 Posted by Aarny91 (3912 posts) -

I don't mind the look of the Tested site, it's just the whole Mythbusters shit that gets me. I never really visited Tested, but I did enjoy Norm and Will's banter on the GB and Screened random videos. Sucks that they're getting shafted to the side.

#4 Posted by AlisterCat (5537 posts) -

Don't forget about Alexis.

#5 Edited by Beaudacious (927 posts) -

@AlisterCat: I can't believe i did! Yes Alexis to! I loved listening to Alexis and Dave talk about pixels.

#6 Posted by ShaneDev (1696 posts) -

I think it looks ok, a bit too bright though. Also wasn't this design also made by the top men?

#7 Posted by Kyle (2323 posts) -

I didn't think the new Tested looked THAT bad, until I went and looked at the forums just now. I think I have a headache....

#8 Posted by ZanzibarBreeze (3070 posts) -

@ShaneDev said:

I think it looks ok, a bit too bright though. Also wasn't this design also made by the top men?

It seems to me like it's just a basic reskinning of the old design, except some things to do with the users have broken. For instance, the "most popular news stories/best of" sidebar is still there when you click on a post, and other elements from the old Tested site are there as well, but the forums and comments section are buggy. It was a messy launch, basically.

#9 Posted by Willy105 (4690 posts) -

Yeah, the design of the website is the absolute worst of what happened to Tested.
 
Jamie and Adam taking center stage is understandable (and smart, I guess); but a badly built, ugly website is still a badly built, ugly website.

#10 Posted by Dagbiker (6974 posts) -

I imagine they had to change the API, because they do not own it anymore. and so did something really fast.

#11 Posted by Superfriend (1545 posts) -

It looks like something they had to come up with FAST. I think it does have potential and except for a few things (logo and forums, mostly) it doesn´t seem too bad.

What rubs me the wrong way is how they pull these mythbuster guys into the foreground. Will and Norm are cool guys, they can handle themselves next to TV "celebrities". Too early to tell, but some of this stuff seems a little weird after yesterday´s excitement.

I feel like maybe they were excited to still be employed at all..

#12 Posted by fox01313 (5069 posts) -

It's a bit plain but not bad, I've seen many games though with bad UI design though so maybe the new tested site compared to those things is average compared to those bad UI design in games (none come to mind at the moment but know there's some I've played recently).

#13 Posted by Vegetable_Side_Dish (1726 posts) -

Get me some ice my eyes are on fire. 

#14 Posted by 234r2we232 (3181 posts) -

Don't worry, the "ultimate UI master" is still apart of the GB team. Regardless of how anything looks, so long as there are threads like this to creep me out, the forums will never change!

#15 Posted by Grimluck343 (1149 posts) -

Is Giant Bomb getting a site redesign?

And yes, I now appreciate Dave on a whole new level after today.

#16 Posted by TheHBK (5474 posts) -

They don't let you comment on their first video where they reintroduce the site. For good reason. I would have ripped into those bitches. Then go over the forums and it is a god awful heaven white on everything look. Hard on the eyes and for some reason, you go into a thread and the first thing on it is some message that seemingly has nothing to do with it, it is like a message from someone's in box.

#17 Posted by Mendelson9 (402 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

I imagine they had to change the API, because they do not own it anymore. and so did something really fast.

Good point. It will take some time, especially since Jamie and Adam are on tour right now. I'm sure they will fix stuff like the videos page and the logo. I know people want Will and Norm up there but the Mythbusters are recognizable and the guys will probably want to take the picture together and not just be photoshopped in. I am disappointing that they changed the site UI. Since they are part of a new company, they probably can't keep the site design. Too bad if that true because the Whiskey sites are the best designed sites on the internet. The only other site I can think of that's as good is Rock, Paper, Shotgun. I love how the advertisements feel apart of the site and work with the layout, instead of slapping a box in the corner. Best way I've seen to do online advertisement. Please someone tell me a site better designed than Giant Bomb. :)

EDIT: Penny Arcade Report does has a nice clean layout

#18 Posted by Davin (243 posts) -

That site should not have been launched in its current state. Embarrassing .

#19 Posted by wefwefasdf (6729 posts) -

The Tested site looks absolutely awful and the forums are almost completely busted. I feel like someone demolished one of the houses I loved to visit.

#20 Posted by UnrealDP (1222 posts) -

Forums are kind of busted, but everything else seems fine. I'm not really seeing what you're talking about here, mate.

#21 Posted by devilzrule27 (1239 posts) -

The general design of that tested redesign is quite ugly. Every thing is boxy with straight lines an white everywhere. No character to it. I've seen worse site designs, i mean they could have modeled after those vox media sites. haha

#22 Posted by WalkerTR77 (1362 posts) -

The state of the forums almost makes me think it's intentional. As in, we don't want a community focused website so we'll make the forums unusable. It's a silly concept, but it really is that bad. Pick up the big red phone and get on the Dave Snider hotline!

#23 Posted by gakon (1952 posts) -

@ZanzibarBreeze said:

@ShaneDev said:

I think it looks ok, a bit too bright though. Also wasn't this design also made by the top men?

It seems to me like it's just a basic reskinning of the old design, except some things to do with the users have broken. For instance, the "most popular news stories/best of" sidebar is still there when you click on a post, and other elements from the old Tested site are there as well, but the forums and comments section are buggy. It was a messy launch, basically.

I think you're exactly right about it being a reskinning, except for the header and footer which were changed. But the general layout is mostly the same. That being said, layout is only one element of a design.

What really bugs me is the fact that they're using grey text on a white background for a majority of text, like stuff on articles and forum posts, stuff that might take a while to read. Gotta love when the desire to be hip or minimalistic gets in the way of usability.

#24 Posted by VoshiNova (1677 posts) -

@AndrewB said:

I would imagine that the reason Dave is included with the Comic Vine/Giant Bomb move would be to remain in his role of designer.

Really makes you appreciate how amazing he is at his job.

@Beaudacious said:

@AlisterCat: I can't believe i did! Yes Alexis to! I loved listening to Alexis and Dave talk about pixels.

I can't begin to understand why the "new + improved" Tested is black & white.

It's a real eye sore.

#25 Posted by ProfessorEss (7324 posts) -

Outside of the harshness of the white and the jagginess of some of the headline text I don't find it that bad.

The forums are pretty jacked though.

#26 Posted by MisterMouse (3550 posts) -

Yes I do hope Dave handles the Redesign because it is a pain to navigate through Gamespot....

#27 Posted by Binman88 (3686 posts) -

The balls are you talking about? It's basically a re-skinning of the same website; the UI hasn't really changed a whole lot at all. There are some design bugs that need to be sorted out, but otherwise it's functionally the same damn website.

It's not fantastic looking by any means, but it wasn't exactly stellar before. Not sure where the UI mastery comes in at all :s It was fairly normal by design standards.

#28 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@Beaudacious: I like it, and its almost identical in layout to the old one. I think the white space issue with articles and comments was an oversight. I think it looks good and looks like a Mythbusters-esque site.

#29 Posted by Humanity (9062 posts) -

@Aarny said:

I don't mind the look of the Tested site, it's just the whole Mythbusters shit that gets me. I never really visited Tested, but I did enjoy Norm and Will's banter on the GB and Screened random videos. Sucks that they're getting shafted to the side.

I'm the same and share your sentiments exactly. Was never a giant fan but the way they go shoved to the side is really gross.

#30 Edited by ZimboDK (848 posts) -

It's... white.
Adam's arm over the menu is pixelated as hell, and the more you look at it, the more you realise just how wrong it's positioned. This was either put together really fast, or by an intern with no real design skills.
The logo seems to be more pixelated than it should be. They may have forgotten to align it to the pixel grid in Illustrator. Rookie mistake.
Jamie's beret has no contours, it's just a black blob on his head.
Various elements aren't properly aligned.
Also, some of the elements on the pages seem to load in a weird order and align later than they should. They're using Modernizr, which does strange things to the rendering of pages. When you've been online for 15+ years, you kinda tend to notice small things like that. Every time I load a page it just seems... off.
 
EDIT: Also, definitely just a reskin. URL structure is exactly the same.

#31 Posted by Vager (1653 posts) -

Dave and Alexis will remain the web designers of Giant Bomb. I've been assured of this by Alexis.

As for the Tested design.. Ya, it's not that good... The design lacks color and any kind of personality. It feels/looks like a newspaper which not a good association to have. It also looks like who ever designed the site had massive time constraints. It's just way too simple. I not one to brag but, I could probably build the front end of tested.com myself in 1 or 2 days.

#32 Edited by Dan_CiTi (3262 posts) -

Ah yes, this just reaffirms my idea that Whiskey Sites are far an away better designed & usable in virtually all aspects compared almost everything else on the web. It is kind of staggering how these guys get it so right but then everyone else has slow, ugly, hard to use, and cluttered sites. Like what's up with Modern Method/Dtoid? I like the site's content but goddamn, they need a real overhaul. They have so much awesome stuff, but it is just been horrendously organized and archived over the years, and so slow to get to. Give Dave and Alexis the job of re-doing their sites, but find some magical time capsule they can do it in.

Also I hope the GameSpot UI and website itself stay far away from Giant Bomb, I can only hope. Good lord.

#33 Posted by Linkster7 (1023 posts) -

@ZimboDK said:

It's... white. Adam's arm over the menu is pixelated as hell, and the more you look at it, the more you realise just how wrong it's positioned. This was either put together really fast, or by an intern with no real design skills. The logo seems to be more pixelated than it should be. They may have forgotten to align it to the pixel grid in Illustrator. Rookie mistake. Jamie's beret has no contours, it's just a black blob on his head. Various elements aren't properly aligned. Also, some of the elements on the pages seem to load in a weird order and align later than they should. They're using Modernizr, which does strange things to the rendering of pages. When you've been online for 15+ years, you kinda tend to notice small things like that. Every time I load a page it just seems... off. EDIT: Also, definitely just a reskin. URL structure is exactly the same.

I thought it was bad before, now I see all the stuff you pointed out.

It's sad really, my favorite part of the Whiskey sites has always been the great design.

#34 Posted by Binman88 (3686 posts) -

@Linkster7 said:

@ZimboDK said:

It's... white. Adam's arm over the menu is pixelated as hell, and the more you look at it, the more you realise just how wrong it's positioned. This was either put together really fast, or by an intern with no real design skills. The logo seems to be more pixelated than it should be. They may have forgotten to align it to the pixel grid in Illustrator. Rookie mistake. Jamie's beret has no contours, it's just a black blob on his head. Various elements aren't properly aligned. Also, some of the elements on the pages seem to load in a weird order and align later than they should. They're using Modernizr, which does strange things to the rendering of pages. When you've been online for 15+ years, you kinda tend to notice small things like that. Every time I load a page it just seems... off. EDIT: Also, definitely just a reskin. URL structure is exactly the same.

I thought it was bad before, now I see all the stuff you pointed out.

It's sad really, my favorite part of the Whiskey sites has always been the great design.

Just to clarify: pretty sure part of the old Whiskey team are responsible for this design. That was part of the deal after all. Will mentioned it in a "shut the fuck up" thread he had to make on Tested because of all the pointless whining.