#1 Posted by NarcolepticBat (410 posts) -

I sent this letter in today because after months of reading these two magazines I finally became so outraged (/had the time) that I finally wrote a letter to their official feedback email. Anyway, thought I'd share it with you. And fans of the now de-funked GFW Radio podcast may recognize where some of my anger has sprouted from.

Dear so called "Game""Informer",

I have a problem with the November and January issues (as the subject would imply). My problem pertains to the especially egregious November "2011 Holiday Buying Guide" and the "January Snowboard...Something." The January issue is particularly offensive because it's written as if it would be in the non-existent December issue. But then it also includes things like: Lego's, a Tom Tom, skateboards, shoe's, a watch, snowboard goggles (which repeat in January) and an android based tablet. I suppose my question is: What do these things have to do with Video Games? I feel as if (admittedly having a bit of "inside baseball" knowledge right now) that the Game Informer staff was sent a Samsung Galaxy Tab and (in due accordance with company law) then took the Tab in return for putting a little snippet inside the magazine. Frankly, I feel as if because I read your crap article I should receive a Samsung Galaxy Tab as well.

#2 Posted by JammyJesus (771 posts) -

Don't like it? Don't buy it.

I also think that your complaint is petty and whiny.

#3 Posted by qawsed (145 posts) -

There are PR firms whose sole purpose is to get clients into gift guides like this. When your local news does a segment around Christmas time showing off a table of "the years hottest gifts," that stuff is all furnished and selected by a PR company. For the news show, it's free and easy content to produce. The same probably goes for magazines.

#4 Posted by Soapy86 (2623 posts) -

You realize if they address your letter in the magazine at all, they're just going to make fun of you. And probably rightly so.

#5 Edited by Cloudenvy (5891 posts) -

That is probably one of the shittest ways to start a letter.

#6 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Either this gets deleted with a "Good grief" comment from the person reading it, or you're gonna be made fun of in the magazine by a writer and also the other readers.  
Good job! 

#7 Posted by Alkaiser (366 posts) -

Dear shitty game magazine, why are you so shitty?

Your friend, subscriber that gave you money for shitty magazine.

#8 Posted by Jimbo (10007 posts) -

Fuuuuuuuuuck, you totally schooled those bitches!

#9 Posted by Shady (503 posts) -

@Alkaiser said:

Dear shitty game magazine, why are you so shitty?

Your friend, subscriber that gave you money for shitty magazine.

I would like to see them publish this.

#10 Posted by ShaggE (6724 posts) -

Had to laugh at "de-funked". (while also hoping against hope that that was intentional, because otherwise... wow...)

But yeah, you're trying to take something that's basically GameStop: The Magazine to task for what appears to you as a lack of journalistic integrity. Surely you can see why that's incredibly silly. Especially when you try to sound levelheaded and in the know, then finish off by accusing them of getting tablets before asking for a tablet of your own because they apparently held a gun to your head and forced you to read a gift guide.

I'm guessing this thread was an attempt to rally people to your "cause", but it would help to have a cause that isn't incredibly asinine.

#11 Posted by evilrazer (498 posts) -

@JammyJesus said:

This.

#12 Posted by McGhee (6075 posts) -

I'm sure they get dozens of more interesting pieces of hate mail every day. At least put a little effort into it.

#13 Edited by Heartagram (1183 posts) -

Seriously spend your time writing other things rather than wasting your time complaining about a gift guide...If it took you this long to realize Game Informer is mostly a promotional tool then you must have not been around when actual good gaming mags came out regularly. Perhaps maybe you just didn't read them.

#14 Posted by believer258 (12211 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

You realize if they address your letter in the magazine at all, they're just going to make fun of you. And probably rightly so.

Yep. They won't exactly rip you a new one, but they will poke a bit of fun at you. Look at the letters section in every single magazine - they always pick out some asshole's letter and give him the written equivalent of a middle finger and a smirk that says "What are you going to do about it"?

I mean, they even have that Game Infarcer parody every few months, do you really think they're the type of people who are going to take your (fucking inane, by the way) comments seriously in the least?

#15 Posted by MayorFeedback (674 posts) -

Pro-tip: proofread your hate mail. Then delete it before you send it and stop being so angry about stupid stuff.

#16 Edited by thornie_delete (436 posts) -

You are the type of person that will grow up to become one of those old people who complain about shit like boxes of cereal being to difficult to open.

Is this you?

#17 Posted by spiceninja (3070 posts) -

All I could think of was this when reading that hate male.

Also, getting angry over that kind of stuff is just dumb and pointless. I mean, they're so far inside GameStop's pocket at this point that them doing anything just for the sake of a quick buck isn't at all surprising.

#18 Edited by WilltheMagicAsian (1542 posts) -

I haven't read a gaming magazine in like 7 or 8 years, I stopped after some of the dudes I liked left PSM.

#19 Posted by TheHT (11829 posts) -
@Jimbo said:

Fuuuuuuuuuck, you totally schooled those bitches!

They'll think twice before taking free stuff now!
#20 Posted by Shrimpy (93 posts) -

At least it's pretty funny.

#21 Posted by chilibean_3 (1698 posts) -

Nicely done with putting both game and informer in the quotes. That is the ultimate burn.

#22 Posted by Shun_Akiyama (489 posts) -

That was ridiculous. You know that, right?

#23 Posted by N7 (3677 posts) -

Dear: Idiot. Why are you so dumb. I mean, you are so dumb! Why! What does it even do!

Sincerely, a Nascar.

Now THAT'S what you should've sent! Send ripples down their spine.

#24 Posted by huntad (1958 posts) -

@Soapy86 said:

Exactly. I never understood sending in letters to magazines. Not only that, but sometimes they make fun of the art people send them. Don't write letters to video game magazines.

#25 Posted by Hosstile17 (769 posts) -

@NarcolepticBat: Dude, you should probably calm down a little bit. they have a long history of having stuff in their buyer's guide section that aren't gaming related. They are trying to spin their magazine as a gaming and dudes that like games sort of thing. Don't like it? Don't buy it. I don't see much difference in this and what Tested does. Someone sends them stuff and they give it a whirl and talk about it in the next issue.

#26 Posted by Rattle618 (1456 posts) -

Why would you buy a magazine?

#27 Posted by imsh_pl (3314 posts) -

Are you... are you twelve or something? 

... is this shit a motherfuckin' documentary?

#28 Posted by BonOrbitz (2252 posts) -

I wrote a letter to the magazine also:

Dear Game Informer,

Whatever happened to that hot chick editor who used to work for you? You'd always run her pictures at the bottom of the letters column. Please bring her back.

...Just kidding.

#29 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@imsh_pl said:

Are you... are you twelve or something?

... is this shit a motherfuckin' documentary?

Oh man I lost it on that last part. Good work.

#30 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

@JammyJesus said:

I think this was about the most constructive criticism so far. I'm sorry that you felt so strongly about the issue, but I don't think the way you went about it ("complaining") would do anything. I'm looking forward to hopefully reading your letter in the next issue and I will absolutely love to see what they say about you!

#31 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@EarlessShrimp said:

@JammyJesus said:

I think this was about the most constructive criticism so far. I'm sorry that you felt so strongly about the issue, but I don't think the way you went about it ("complaining") would do anything. I'm looking forward to hopefully reading your letter in the next issue and I will absolutely love to see what they say about you!

You mean you can't wait to see them tear him apart?

Now we all need to start taking bets as to whether or not they will publish his letter.

We need those old Gamespot union banners again for losers to put in their sigs.

#32 Posted by JoeyRavn (4984 posts) -

This letter is like the Finnegans Wake of our time. But unlike Joyce's masterpiece, I can actually understand it. Amazingly done.

#33 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1669 posts) -

@MasturbatingestBear said:

You mean you can't wait to see them tear him apart?

Now we all need to start taking bets as to whether or not they will publish his letter.

We need those old Gamespot union banners again for losers to put in their sigs.

Well, yes that is what I meant! Maybe a Game Informer Hate Mail pool thread could be started for that one! Oh man, I think I may have been one of those losers at one point, it was super classy.

#34 Posted by mordukai (7185 posts) -

@JammyJesus said:

You get it with gamestop power card.

@NarcolepticBat: Good luck because they only pick the ones that either compliment them or ones they can ridicule.

#35 Posted by SlightConfuse (3963 posts) -

your main complaint is that they are recommending non game items in their magazine. that is a terrible arguement a two page spread with some things people might like is not worth tearing your hair out

#36 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

@Mordukai: @SlightConfuse: Stop with the educated responses and start taking bets!

#37 Posted by PixelPrinny (1050 posts) -

@Cloudenvy said:

That is probably one of the shittest ways to start a letter.

Yep.

For those familiar with Thatguywiththeglasses, read the OP as if it were Douchey McNitpick and it's actually pretty funny.

#38 Posted by MariachiMacabre (7100 posts) -

You sound like a fucking tool. Grow up.

#39 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1197 posts) -

The thing I feel sorry for this guy for is the fact that he posted this on here expecting everybody to back him up.

#40 Posted by bartok (2585 posts) -

You are upset at a magazine that is published by Game Stop (or has some sort of dealio) about being a glorified advertisement?  Isn't every magazine besides Highlights For Children the same way?  Most magazines make their money through ads not subscribers.