A Look Back at 2008

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Edited By PureRok

Now that 2008 is gone I think it's time I do my own blog about what went on my gaming world in that year. I played way too many games this year to declare any "Game of the Year", so I won't.

First I would like to say that I managed to achieve the grand goal of owning more than 200 games this year. I currently have 204 games accounted for. I may have some more lying around that I haven't added to my list, but I'd say I have just about all of them counted. Hurray for me.

So, on with it then.

I had a huge post here where I picked out some games I played this year and said some stuff, but I got tired of doing that. I was running out of things to say. So, since this is my blog, I'll do it how I want and I'm just going to list out all the games I bought (With the exception of Metroid Prime 3, which I had bought a long time ago but only played this year.) this year and I'm going to give this a rating out of five. This probably isn't a complete list of all of the games I bought this year (since I bought so many), but it's most of them.

PCX360NintendoPS
Samurai Warriors 2 – 4Crackdown – 3Metroid Prime 3 – 5Bard's Tale – 2
Warriors Orochi – 4Dynasty Warriors 6 – 5Paper Mario – 4Suikoden I – 5
Call of Duty: WaW – 4Warriors Orochi 2 – 4Mega Man 9 – 3Urban Chaos: RR – 4
Dead Space – 4The Last Remnant –3Ninja Gaiden – 4Final Fantasy XII – 3
Fallout 3 – 5Grand Theft Auto IV – 4SF2T Hyper Fighting – 3Street Fighter Alpha 1 – 3
Mount & Blade – 3Mirrors Edge – 3Super Metroid – 3Final Fantasy VII: CC – 4
Prince of Persia – 4Fable II – 4Animal Crossing – 3
Sins of a Solar Empire – 5Ninja Gaiden Black – 4Tales of Symphonia – 2
The Suffering – 4SSF2THD Remix – 4

The Witcher – 4Uno – 2

Left 4 Dead – 5Geometry Wars Evolved 2 – 3

ArmA – 2Castle Crashers – 4

Dracula Origin – 4Soul Calibur IV – 2

Far Cry 2 – 3Ninety Nine Nights – 3

Grid – 4Contra – 3

Loki – 3Braid – 5

STALKER: Clear Sky – 4Duke Nukem 3D – 2

Unreal Tournament 3 – 1Silent Hill Homecoming – 4

There. Feel free to ask me why I rated a specific game the way I did and I'll (maybe) answer.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By PureRok

Now that 2008 is gone I think it's time I do my own blog about what went on my gaming world in that year. I played way too many games this year to declare any "Game of the Year", so I won't.

First I would like to say that I managed to achieve the grand goal of owning more than 200 games this year. I currently have 204 games accounted for. I may have some more lying around that I haven't added to my list, but I'd say I have just about all of them counted. Hurray for me.

So, on with it then.

I had a huge post here where I picked out some games I played this year and said some stuff, but I got tired of doing that. I was running out of things to say. So, since this is my blog, I'll do it how I want and I'm just going to list out all the games I bought (With the exception of Metroid Prime 3, which I had bought a long time ago but only played this year.) this year and I'm going to give this a rating out of five. This probably isn't a complete list of all of the games I bought this year (since I bought so many), but it's most of them.

PCX360NintendoPS
Samurai Warriors 2 – 4Crackdown – 3Metroid Prime 3 – 5Bard's Tale – 2
Warriors Orochi – 4Dynasty Warriors 6 – 5Paper Mario – 4Suikoden I – 5
Call of Duty: WaW – 4Warriors Orochi 2 – 4Mega Man 9 – 3Urban Chaos: RR – 4
Dead Space – 4The Last Remnant –3Ninja Gaiden – 4Final Fantasy XII – 3
Fallout 3 – 5Grand Theft Auto IV – 4SF2T Hyper Fighting – 3Street Fighter Alpha 1 – 3
Mount & Blade – 3Mirrors Edge – 3Super Metroid – 3Final Fantasy VII: CC – 4
Prince of Persia – 4Fable II – 4Animal Crossing – 3
Sins of a Solar Empire – 5Ninja Gaiden Black – 4Tales of Symphonia – 2
The Suffering – 4SSF2THD Remix – 4

The Witcher – 4Uno – 2

Left 4 Dead – 5Geometry Wars Evolved 2 – 3

ArmA – 2Castle Crashers – 4

Dracula Origin – 4Soul Calibur IV – 2

Far Cry 2 – 3Ninety Nine Nights – 3

Grid – 4Contra – 3

Loki – 3Braid – 5

STALKER: Clear Sky – 4Duke Nukem 3D – 2

Unreal Tournament 3 – 1Silent Hill Homecoming – 4

There. Feel free to ask me why I rated a specific game the way I did and I'll (maybe) answer.
Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Arkthemaniac

You need to be fighting BoG right now. Not this!!!

Even so, that's a lot of games.
PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PureRok
Arkthemaniac said:
"You need to be fighting BoG right now. Not this!!!
Even so, that's a lot of games.
"
I would fight him but he doesn't get back until the 4th or something.
bwooduhs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By bwooduhs

Thats a lot of games.

Virago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Virago

Nice, Pur, that's quite a feat.

Avatar image for masterofpenguins_zell
MasterOfPenguins_Zell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Lot's of games, need to learn to share the monies in this next year though. o__O

Avatar image for emandudeguyperson
Emandudeguyperson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By Emandudeguyperson

Why in hell did you give DW6 a 5???

PureRok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PureRok
@Emandudeguyperson said:

" Why in hell did you give DW6 a 5??? "

Short answer: Because it's a great game. 

Long answer: It takes the foundation built by the previous entries in the series and adds things on top of it to make the game more engrossing. The addition of being able to climb ladders is welcome, allowing you to now go up towers and climb over walls. No longer are you forced to protect a battering ram for five minutes.

The inclusion of the ability to swim is also great. It allows for more freedom in the design of the maps for the designers, and more freedom for movement for the player. You can also jump with your horse with a dedicated horse-jump button, a feature that was in Samurai Warriors, but more as a special skill, and not really for jumping.

The maps are designed a lot better, with more of an emphasis on completing objectives than ever before. The combat has been completely retooled to use a build up of combos which allows you to hit the enemy more with less downtime.

The game also has more of a focus on character story, so the stories for those specific characters that have a Musou mode are more fleshed out than before.

Really, the game is a complete upgrade in every way compared to the other DW games. The exclusion of the Conquest mode is a little annoying, but nothing that can't be fixed in DW6 Empires or something.
Red

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#9  Edited By Red
@PureRok said:
" @Emandudeguyperson said:

" Why in hell did you give DW6 a 5??? "

Short answer: Because it's a great game.  Long answer: It takes the foundation built by the previous entries in the series and adds things on top of it to make the game more engrossing. The addition of being able to climb ladders is welcome, allowing you to now go up towers and climb over walls. No longer are you forced to protect a battering ram for five minutes.  The inclusion of the ability to swim is also great. It allows for more freedom in the design of the maps for the designers, and more freedom for movement for the player. You can also jump with your horse with a dedicated horse-jump button, a feature that was in Samurai Warriors, but more as a special skill, and not really for jumping.  The maps are designed a lot better, with more of an emphasis on completing objectives than ever before. The combat has been completely retooled to use a build up of combos which allows you to hit the enemy more with less downtime.  The game also has more of a focus on character story, so the stories for those specific characters that have a Musou mode are more fleshed out than before.  Really, the game is a complete upgrade in every way compared to the other DW games. The exclusion of the Conquest mode is a little annoying, but nothing that can't be fixed in DW6 Empires or something. "
I'm sorry, but praising a game for letting you swim and climb up ladders is ridiculous.