A lot of free time and nothing to play

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Vital

I recently have a ton of free time and I figured out that I have the exact opposite problem as some users of this website, I have no games to play. I have been looking at Kingdoms of Amalur and Saints Row the Third, but I don't like paying $60 for games so I will wait for their prices to drop. Seeing as they are popular games, I don't expect it anytime soon. So in the mean time, what are some good games I should look into that are not Shooters? 

Games I have beaten: 

•  Assassins Creed 2 & Brotherhood
  • Darksiders
  • Dark Souls
  • Mass Effect 1 & 2
  • Gears of War 1
Marz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Marz

League of Legends if you don't want to spend a dime.

uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By uniform

Transformice

Avatar image for deactivated-629ec706f0783
deactivated-629ec706f0783

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

If you aren't looking for huge blockbusters, and are a fan of rogue-like, duel-joystick shooters, I would recommend either The Binding of Isaac or Pineapple Smash Crew. Isaac is 5 bucks and Smach Crew is 10 on steam, and I have put 65 hours into Isaac and I will be putting a lot into Smash crew as well.

With the exception of Skyrim, Isaac has been my most played game in the last 6 months, and it is a fraction of the price of all the other games I have bought (Skyrim, Saints 3, Amalur, FF13-2, etc) and Pineapple Smash Crew has amazing music, so it's a fun time waster just to jam out.

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Vital

Unfortunately I can't sit at my desk for quite some time, so I'm mainly looking for some console games. 

jozzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By jozzy

You seem to like open world (third person) action adventure games. These are cheap these days:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Just Cause 2
  • GTA IV
  • Borderlands
uniform

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uniform

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Aetheldod

@Vital: Maybe you could try a fighting game , Marvel vs capcom must be cheaper by now , due to ultimate coming out. Or try Xbox live or PSN games , Limbo is good one , Costume Quest etc.

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Vital

I'll look into a fighting game, but do they play well if you only play against Ai? I really don't want to be destroyed online because I'm using a stock controller and new to the game. Also, I've been told to get Viva pinata trouble in paradise, but amazon has that game listed at $70, why?

mosdl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By mosdl

The original arhkam asylum?

Brunchies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Brunchies

You could try La Noire, I'm actually playing that right now and I picked it up on the xbox 360 for 11 bucks used from amazon, 20 bucks new if you feel like supporting Rockstar.

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#12  Edited By tourgen

@Vital: Mortal Kombat is pretty good and plays fine with a standard controller.

You could start going thru all the games on the XboxLive Indie list. There is some pretty silly stuff in there. There are some alright games in there too and only $1-$3.

Borderlands can eat up a lot of time if you do it all and the DLC - it's a shooter tho.

strainedeyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By strainedeyes

Borderlands

Burnout Paradise

Gears of War 2 and 3

Fallout 3 or New Vegas

TheGorilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheGorilla

Join a game rental service or go to your local game store with a bargain bin and sift through that for cheap games that look interesting. You can find a surprising number of good to great games really cheaply. I saw Bad Company for $5 the other day. As someone else said, L.A. Noire is at a great price right now, and it's one of my favorite games of the last year.

SeriouslyNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By SeriouslyNow

I had that experience recently, which is why I got into Android tablets and phones.  Lots of pretty cool games on those devices.  Then Alan Wake came out on PC and I started playing try not to shit your pants.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#16  Edited By fox01313

Cheaper than console games on steam that might work: Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (go to forums for the user created patches on this for better graphics), dungeons of dredmor, civ5, psychonauts. If on the consoles there's some good ones out like Mortal Kombat (latest), bioshock, batman arkham city/asylum, deadly premonition, bayonetta. Other suggestions of what i've seen have been pretty good choices too. GLHB!

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TobbRobb

@fox01313 said:

Cheaper than console games on steam that might work: Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (go to forums for the user created patches on this for IT TO WORK AT ALL, EVEN THEN MAYBE NOT.

I fixed it for you.

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18  Edited By crusader8463

Team Fortress 2 is an amazing hat simulator.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Morrow

@Vital:

I recommend Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas. Both are massive RPGs which can be played both as a FPS or third-person adventure. You've got a customizable character, lots of enemies, lots of quests, good story and a unique atmosphere.

I've put more than 300 hours into Fallout 3, so if you have lots of free time and are willing to dive into a games story and atmosphere, the Fallout franchise is a good choice I think ^^

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#20  Edited By pweidman

Yeah either Fallout would keep you busy for a long time, and New Vegas is especially great. Also, if you haven't played Read Dead Redemption yet, go play it now. It can't be too expensive at this point, and it's amazing.

fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#21  Edited By fox01313

@TobbRobb: After reinstalling this on the new pc here & getting the new patches I had no problems with getting it looking as good as it should but then again that was months ago so if a new thing came out recently to fix things it might have broken things a few. Plenty of good games out there to pick from but after playing enough of Kingdom of Amalur it has some good stuff but at times it shoots itself in the foot with some of the game mechanics so I'd definitely recommend other games before KoA.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TobbRobb

@fox01313: You misunderstand me, I meant that user patches were necessary to get it running at all. Which they are, improved graphics are just icing on the cake.

It's downright unplayable with the official patches.

mrariscottle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By mrariscottle

I've been playing Condemned 2 recently. The combat is great and the story seems awesome too. Must be very very cheap now,

Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Example1013

The Force Unleashed? It's pretty short, but I've probably put at least 60 hours into it.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Hizang
  • Mortal Kombat,
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
EarlessShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#26  Edited By EarlessShrimp

I finally got around to getting trackmania 2, and I think that's my new kill time game. If you have extra free time it will chew it up. I lost 3 hours in five minutes playing that game...

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Karl_Boss

@Fudgeman7 said:

I've been playing Condemned 2 recently. The combat is great and the story seems awesome too. Must be very very cheap now,

Its been cheap for years now.

ddensel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28  Edited By ddensel

Fallout 3 or New Vegas both must be pretty cheap now. Tons of stuff to do and either of them will keep you occupied for some time.

phish09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By phish09

Dude...Portal 2.

Jeldh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Jeldh

@TobbRobb said:

@fox01313: You misunderstand me, I meant that user patches were necessary to get it running at all. Which they are, improved graphics are just icing on the cake.

Agreed Bloodlines needs the user-made patches to work, dont even try to play it without them. With the patches the game is really really cool though.

Saints row 3 is a must buy too if you like open world games.

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ghost_cat

Fallout seems to be a great choice if you got time to kill. But if you really want to sink some time into a real challenge, Dark Souls is great, considering you know what you are getting into.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By lockwoodx

Take it from me who had about 3 years of "too much time" on his hands.

Don't play video games.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By JJOR64
sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By sixpin

@Buzzkill said:

Don't play video games.

Why are you here?

BaneFireLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#35  Edited By BaneFireLord

Just Cause 2 is one of the best time wasters in existence.

lockwoodx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By lockwoodx

@sixpin said:

@Buzzkill said:

Don't play video games.

Why are you here?

Because I enjoy playing video games as a recreation from life, not as a daily driver.

sixpin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#37  Edited By sixpin

@Buzzkill: I think he just ment he was bored and wanted some cheap games, not a reason to live.

Vital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vital
@Buzzkill said:

Take it from me who had about 3 years of "too much time" on his hands.

Don't play video games.

As much as I would like to continue running around outside I really cant at the moment and for the coming months. I'm really stuck either playing games, drawing, or browsing the internet and I'd like some variety. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I've played both Fallouts on the PC so maybe I'll pick up Fallout New Vegas and the DLC and play through it again. Are there any games that are not as well known as some of the titles you guys are throwing out (Mainly console games)?  
onan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 10

#39  Edited By onan

There are over 80 games for 360 alone available at gamestop for under $5, many of them former blockbusters such as Gears of War and Halo 3.

Gamefly currently has L.A. Noire for $8, Deus Ex for $13.

On 360, every single XBLA game has a demo, and many full games have demos as well. On PS3, if you get a Plus membership, they drown you in free games. They just gave me two full-priced games this last week, Far Cry 2 and Battle Fantasia, not including free PS1 games and minis.

On both systems, you can have a great time currently playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo.

That's not to mention the ton of games available on PC to play for free. I've really been enjoying Star Trek Online lately.

There's really is no excuse for not having anything to play.

shaunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By shaunk

@Marz said:

League of Legends if you don't want to spend a dime.

I literally just came in here to say this. Good thing you covered it immediately.

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#41  Edited By NMC2008

If you like turn based JRPGs then Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon will eat some time away from you, if you have a 360 that is.

w00ties

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By w00ties

I would recommend waiting for Saints Row: The Third GOTY Edition. The developers plan to release a ton of DLC which will make waiting for a complete package worth it in the end.

If you're on PC:

• Medieval 2: Total War
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • World of Goo
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Amnesia
  • Tales of Monkey Island
  • Terraria
  • Crusader Kings 2
plaintomato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#43  Edited By plaintomato

Demon's Souls if you enjoyed beating Dark Souls and want to beat an even harder game.

Dark Souls some more if you like the PVP...you could spend a ton of time making different PVP builds.

If you missed them, these were all don't miss:

• Portal, Portal 2
  • GTA IV, Red Dead, LA Noire
  • Dead Island, Borderlands
  • MGS4
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Mirrors Edge, Condemned
  • Crysis, Crysis 2
  • Witcher, Witcher 2
  • Stalker, Metro 2033
  • Shadow Complex, Outland
  • Dirt 2
  • Skyrim of the Fallouts but not both (too much of the same thing)

And there's always Angry Birds and Words with Friends if you're hardcorz.

...or write a book, get a(nother) degree, contribute to society in some way shape or form.

benspyda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#44  Edited By benspyda

Oh, I wish I had a lot of time to play games like I used to back at school/Uni.

I'd recommend Forza 3 as that would be super cheap and I spent god knows how much time playing that game. Also Bethesda RPGs will eat away time.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By _Zombie_

Fallout 3 is a great choice for a time-waster. You can get the standard game for like $7.00 nowadays, and I'd recommend picking up the expansion packs. Last time I checked, the DLC's by themselves are like $12-$20.00, so you're looking at a total in the $30 range. Last time I checked, the GOTY edition in-store is like $40, though you might just be able to find it for cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

Borderlands is a good time-waster, and I think the GOTY(or whatever that edition is called) was like $20.00 at Gamestop, so it's not going to be expensive at all.

Mercs 2 is great for an open-world/tps game, pretty good destruction capability, too(though if you really want to blow shit up, look into Red Faction: Guerilla).

Seconding the Red Dead Redemption recommendations. Single-player is great, multiplayer is good as well, and Undead Nightmare is fun, and it's only around $20-$30 depending on where you get it.

Chemin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#46  Edited By Chemin

@TobbRobb said:

I've played that game without community patches, twice, and never had any major problems. Sure, it's janky and budget-y, but not even patches can fix that. I suppose I was lucky then?

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TobbRobb

@Chemin: I found a gamebreaking bug in the goddamn tutorial "they asked me to kill someone without giving me the option". If you have more than 3 gb of RAM, sometimes you can't even install it.

ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By ShadowSkill11

Perhaps you should balance your free time and gaming habit by getting a part-time job so you can afford all the games you want.