#1 Posted by Vital (162 posts) -

I recently have a ton of free time and I figured out that I have the exact opposite problem as some users of this website, I have no games to play. I have been looking at Kingdoms of Amalur and Saints Row the Third, but I don't like paying $60 for games so I will wait for their prices to drop. Seeing as they are popular games, I don't expect it anytime soon. So in the mean time, what are some good games I should look into that are not Shooters? 

Games I have beaten: 

•  Assassins Creed 2 & Brotherhood
  • Darksiders
  • Dark Souls
  • Mass Effect 1 & 2
  • Gears of War 1
#2 Edited by Marz (5608 posts) -

League of Legends if you don't want to spend a dime.

#3 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

Transformice

#4 Posted by takayamasama (433 posts) -

If you aren't looking for huge blockbusters, and are a fan of rogue-like, duel-joystick shooters, I would recommend either The Binding of Isaac or Pineapple Smash Crew. Isaac is 5 bucks and Smach Crew is 10 on steam, and I have put 65 hours into Isaac and I will be putting a lot into Smash crew as well.

With the exception of Skyrim, Isaac has been my most played game in the last 6 months, and it is a fraction of the price of all the other games I have bought (Skyrim, Saints 3, Amalur, FF13-2, etc) and Pineapple Smash Crew has amazing music, so it's a fun time waster just to jam out.

#5 Posted by Vital (162 posts) -

Unfortunately I can't sit at my desk for quite some time, so I'm mainly looking for some console games. 

#6 Posted by jozzy (2041 posts) -

You seem to like open world (third person) action adventure games. These are cheap these days:

• Red Dead Redemption
  • Just Cause 2
  • GTA IV
  • Borderlands
#7 Posted by uniform (1830 posts) -

Alex Kidd in Miracle World

#8 Posted by Aetheldod (3343 posts) -

@Vital: Maybe you could try a fighting game , Marvel vs capcom must be cheaper by now , due to ultimate coming out. Or try Xbox live or PSN games , Limbo is good one , Costume Quest etc.

#9 Posted by Vital (162 posts) -

I'll look into a fighting game, but do they play well if you only play against Ai? I really don't want to be destroyed online because I'm using a stock controller and new to the game. Also, I've been told to get Viva pinata trouble in paradise, but amazon has that game listed at $70, why?

#10 Posted by mosdl (3223 posts) -

The original arhkam asylum?

#11 Posted by Brunchies (2484 posts) -

You could try La Noire, I'm actually playing that right now and I picked it up on the xbox 360 for 11 bucks used from amazon, 20 bucks new if you feel like supporting Rockstar.

#12 Posted by tourgen (4242 posts) -

@Vital: Mortal Kombat is pretty good and plays fine with a standard controller.

You could start going thru all the games on the XboxLive Indie list. There is some pretty silly stuff in there. There are some alright games in there too and only $1-$3.

Borderlands can eat up a lot of time if you do it all and the DLC - it's a shooter tho.

#13 Edited by StrainedEyes (1311 posts) -

Borderlands

Burnout Paradise

Gears of War 2 and 3

Fallout 3 or New Vegas

#14 Posted by TheGorilla (215 posts) -

Join a game rental service or go to your local game store with a bargain bin and sift through that for cheap games that look interesting. You can find a surprising number of good to great games really cheaply. I saw Bad Company for $5 the other day. As someone else said, L.A. Noire is at a great price right now, and it's one of my favorite games of the last year.

#15 Posted by SeriouslyNow (8534 posts) -

I had that experience recently, which is why I got into Android tablets and phones.  Lots of pretty cool games on those devices.  Then Alan Wake came out on PC and I started playing try not to shit your pants.

#16 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

Cheaper than console games on steam that might work: Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (go to forums for the user created patches on this for better graphics), dungeons of dredmor, civ5, psychonauts. If on the consoles there's some good ones out like Mortal Kombat (latest), bioshock, batman arkham city/asylum, deadly premonition, bayonetta. Other suggestions of what i've seen have been pretty good choices too. GLHB!

#17 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

@fox01313 said:

Cheaper than console games on steam that might work: Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines (go to forums for the user created patches on this for IT TO WORK AT ALL, EVEN THEN MAYBE NOT.

I fixed it for you.

#18 Posted by crusader8463 (14321 posts) -

Team Fortress 2 is an amazing hat simulator.

#19 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

@Vital:

I recommend Fallout 3 and/or New Vegas. Both are massive RPGs which can be played both as a FPS or third-person adventure. You've got a customizable character, lots of enemies, lots of quests, good story and a unique atmosphere.

I've put more than 300 hours into Fallout 3, so if you have lots of free time and are willing to dive into a games story and atmosphere, the Fallout franchise is a good choice I think ^^

#20 Posted by pweidman (2215 posts) -

Yeah either Fallout would keep you busy for a long time, and New Vegas is especially great. Also, if you haven't played Read Dead Redemption yet, go play it now. It can't be too expensive at this point, and it's amazing.

#21 Posted by fox01313 (5033 posts) -

@TobbRobb: After reinstalling this on the new pc here & getting the new patches I had no problems with getting it looking as good as it should but then again that was months ago so if a new thing came out recently to fix things it might have broken things a few. Plenty of good games out there to pick from but after playing enough of Kingdom of Amalur it has some good stuff but at times it shoots itself in the foot with some of the game mechanics so I'd definitely recommend other games before KoA.

#22 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

@fox01313: You misunderstand me, I meant that user patches were necessary to get it running at all. Which they are, improved graphics are just icing on the cake.

It's downright unplayable with the official patches.

#23 Posted by MrAriscottle (256 posts) -

I've been playing Condemned 2 recently. The combat is great and the story seems awesome too. Must be very very cheap now,

#24 Posted by Example1013 (4749 posts) -

The Force Unleashed? It's pretty short, but I've probably put at least 60 hours into it.

#25 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -
  • Mortal Kombat,
  • The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion.
  • Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.
#26 Posted by EarlessShrimp (1591 posts) -

I finally got around to getting trackmania 2, and I think that's my new kill time game. If you have extra free time it will chew it up. I lost 3 hours in five minutes playing that game...

#27 Posted by Guided_By_Tigers (8060 posts) -

@Fudgeman7 said:

I've been playing Condemned 2 recently. The combat is great and the story seems awesome too. Must be very very cheap now,

Its been cheap for years now.

#28 Posted by ddensel (372 posts) -

Fallout 3 or New Vegas both must be pretty cheap now. Tons of stuff to do and either of them will keep you occupied for some time.

#29 Posted by phish09 (1109 posts) -

Dude...Portal 2.

#30 Edited by MrCaptain (361 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

@fox01313: You misunderstand me, I meant that user patches were necessary to get it running at all. Which they are, improved graphics are just icing on the cake.

Agreed Bloodlines needs the user-made patches to work, dont even try to play it without them. With the patches the game is really really cool though.

Saints row 3 is a must buy too if you like open world games.

#31 Posted by Ghost_Cat (1295 posts) -

Fallout seems to be a great choice if you got time to kill. But if you really want to sink some time into a real challenge, Dark Souls is great, considering you know what you are getting into.

#32 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

Take it from me who had about 3 years of "too much time" on his hands.

Don't play video games.

#33 Posted by JJOR64 (18784 posts) -
#34 Posted by sixpin (1277 posts) -

@Buzzkill said:

Don't play video games.

Why are you here?

#35 Edited by BaneFireLord (2878 posts) -

Just Cause 2 is one of the best time wasters in existence.

#36 Posted by lockwoodx (2479 posts) -

@sixpin said:

@Buzzkill said:

Don't play video games.

Why are you here?

Because I enjoy playing video games as a recreation from life, not as a daily driver.

#37 Posted by sixpin (1277 posts) -

@Buzzkill: I think he just ment he was bored and wanted some cheap games, not a reason to live.

#38 Posted by Vital (162 posts) -
@Buzzkill said:

Take it from me who had about 3 years of "too much time" on his hands.

Don't play video games.

As much as I would like to continue running around outside I really cant at the moment and for the coming months. I'm really stuck either playing games, drawing, or browsing the internet and I'd like some variety. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I've played both Fallouts on the PC so maybe I'll pick up Fallout New Vegas and the DLC and play through it again. Are there any games that are not as well known as some of the titles you guys are throwing out (Mainly console games)?  
#39 Posted by onan (1277 posts) -

There are over 80 games for 360 alone available at gamestop for under $5, many of them former blockbusters such as Gears of War and Halo 3.

Gamefly currently has L.A. Noire for $8, Deus Ex for $13.

On 360, every single XBLA game has a demo, and many full games have demos as well. On PS3, if you get a Plus membership, they drown you in free games. They just gave me two full-priced games this last week, Far Cry 2 and Battle Fantasia, not including free PS1 games and minis.

On both systems, you can have a great time currently playing the Mass Effect 3 multiplayer demo.

That's not to mention the ton of games available on PC to play for free. I've really been enjoying Star Trek Online lately.

There's really is no excuse for not having anything to play.

#40 Posted by MasturbatingestBear (1175 posts) -

@Marz said:

League of Legends if you don't want to spend a dime.

I literally just came in here to say this. Good thing you covered it immediately.

#41 Posted by NMC2008 (1171 posts) -

If you like turn based JRPGs then Lost Odyssey or Blue Dragon will eat some time away from you, if you have a 360 that is.

#42 Posted by w00ties (186 posts) -

I would recommend waiting for Saints Row: The Third GOTY Edition. The developers plan to release a ton of DLC which will make waiting for a complete package worth it in the end.

If you're on PC:

• Medieval 2: Total War
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • World of Goo
  • Super Meat Boy
  • Amnesia
  • Tales of Monkey Island
  • Terraria
  • Crusader Kings 2
#43 Edited by plaintomato (598 posts) -

Demon's Souls if you enjoyed beating Dark Souls and want to beat an even harder game.

Dark Souls some more if you like the PVP...you could spend a ton of time making different PVP builds.

If you missed them, these were all don't miss:

• Portal, Portal 2
  • GTA IV, Red Dead, LA Noire
  • Dead Island, Borderlands
  • MGS4
  • Shadow of the Colossus
  • Mirrors Edge, Condemned
  • Crysis, Crysis 2
  • Witcher, Witcher 2
  • Stalker, Metro 2033
  • Shadow Complex, Outland
  • Dirt 2
  • Skyrim of the Fallouts but not both (too much of the same thing)

And there's always Angry Birds and Words with Friends if you're hardcorz.

...or write a book, get a(nother) degree, contribute to society in some way shape or form.

#44 Posted by benspyda (1899 posts) -

Oh, I wish I had a lot of time to play games like I used to back at school/Uni.

I'd recommend Forza 3 as that would be super cheap and I spent god knows how much time playing that game. Also Bethesda RPGs will eat away time.

#45 Edited by _Zombie_ (1462 posts) -

Fallout 3 is a great choice for a time-waster. You can get the standard game for like $7.00 nowadays, and I'd recommend picking up the expansion packs. Last time I checked, the DLC's by themselves are like $12-$20.00, so you're looking at a total in the $30 range. Last time I checked, the GOTY edition in-store is like $40, though you might just be able to find it for cheaper on Amazon or Ebay.

Borderlands is a good time-waster, and I think the GOTY(or whatever that edition is called) was like $20.00 at Gamestop, so it's not going to be expensive at all.

Mercs 2 is great for an open-world/tps game, pretty good destruction capability, too(though if you really want to blow shit up, look into Red Faction: Guerilla).

Seconding the Red Dead Redemption recommendations. Single-player is great, multiplayer is good as well, and Undead Nightmare is fun, and it's only around $20-$30 depending on where you get it.

#46 Edited by Chemin (630 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

I've played that game without community patches, twice, and never had any major problems. Sure, it's janky and budget-y, but not even patches can fix that. I suppose I was lucky then?

#47 Posted by TobbRobb (4408 posts) -

@Chemin: I found a gamebreaking bug in the goddamn tutorial "they asked me to kill someone without giving me the option". If you have more than 3 gb of RAM, sometimes you can't even install it.

#48 Posted by ShadowSkill11 (1778 posts) -

Perhaps you should balance your free time and gaming habit by getting a part-time job so you can afford all the games you want.