#1 Posted by legendlexicon (97 posts) -

Anyone else here swing from a resentment of video games as a time waster to absolute love for them time and time again? Sometimes I feel as if I can do great things if I could simply focus my brain on activity for a long period of time with minimal relaxation time, and that games get in the way of those assorted passions. At other stages I'm simply plowing through my day to day actions just in order to be able to play a video game. If I get invested in an MMO, or something like Diablo 3, I'll feel good about my accomplishments up until a point when downcast skies loom over head and it rings through out my brain that I'm throwing time into a trashcan.

#2 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

I've only had the hate feeling for videogames if I have unmet responsibilities on the back of my mind. Such things are a rarity now so yay videogames.

#3 Posted by RedCream (704 posts) -

Learn to prioritize and everything would be just fine.

#4 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -

Around late 2008 I got into a rut with video games. Now I've learned, as dumb as this sounds, to not force myself to play games. Also branching out into different genres helped too.

#5 Posted by legendlexicon (97 posts) -

For me, its more weighing time than prioritizing, as in if I have responsibilities with associated dates I always take care of those first. I don't think I've ever turned in a late homework assignment, not that I can remember at least. Its just when I read bios of important minds, I wonder how much it took to get to that to that point.

#6 Posted by Joeyoe31 (820 posts) -
@legendlexicon Exact opposite here. Games before school when it came to my school life. Worried a lot last semester though. Probably gonna have to change that soon.
#7 Posted by legendlexicon (97 posts) -

@Joeyoe31: Yeah I would change that. I get nagging feelings if I feel like I'm under performing in school. Its been like that for awhile now, and it leads to amazing grades, but high stress. When I'm pursuing personal interests though, its hard for me to find a balance. Such as I took this summer off of work in order to get some personal study done. Sadly I didn't finish many of the math books I wanted to read. I finally did finish this damn topology book, but with a week left until college starts again, I feel like I've failed in my goals, and video games are to blame.

#8 Edited by Sooty (8082 posts) -

A lot of the fun in gaming has been taken out for me, nowadays I rarely enjoy a single player experience because they often drag on far too much without a story good enough to keep it interesting.

and I find it very difficult to play games without a decent plot or characters, it's not like years ago where I could just dick around on Vice City for hours without getting bored. I spend a lot of time on multiplayer (League of Legends lately) in between studying. I think I'll have to cut my gaming time down further when I go back to college next month, study load is going to triple...

#9 Posted by Rohok (553 posts) -

I usually only hate video games when I see shitty games becoming so popular and making so much money, and great video games receiving little attention. Really that hate is just focused toward the industry, though.

#10 Posted by legendlexicon (97 posts) -

@Sooty: I've taken long breaks from games and it feels good to come back to them. Sounds like it could be game fatigue.

#11 Posted by medacris (639 posts) -

I only hate them when I can't figure something out, or when it's an online gaming community that's being really shitty as of late.

#12 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

@Joeyoe31 said:

Around late 2008 I got into a rut with video games. Now I've learned, as dumb as this sounds, to not force myself to play games. Also branching out into different genres helped too.

Amen. Forcing myself to play like it's a duty was the reason I've been a miserable gamer for a long time. Don't get me wrong I enjoyed many games, but I also ruined many of them for myself.

Recently I began treating this as a HOBBY, not a CHORE. I only play when I feel like it and I play what I feel like playing, not what I "should" be playing. And now gaming is peaceful and amazing!

#13 Posted by adam1808 (1357 posts) -

As a rule I only play a game when I feel like it. There was a time when I played everything because I thought I should have an opinion on all of them. Turns out that's a great way to make yourself hate games.

I dislike MMOs, and generally have issues with long games. Breadth should be earned, so I start to hate games when they're unnecessarily lengthy. Other than that it's all sunshine and happiness.

#14 Posted by Anund (876 posts) -

You know, I find people worry too much about how they spend their time. Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted. If you spend a lot of time playing WoW, and you're enjoying yourself doing so, then that time was by definition well spent, even in retrospect.

#15 Posted by Clonedzero (4046 posts) -

@Anund said:

You know, I find people worry too much about how they spend their time. Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted. If you spend a lot of time playing WoW, and you're enjoying yourself doing so, then that time was by definition well spent, even in retrospect.

aabsolutely. i completely agree.

#16 Posted by MorkaiTheWolf (185 posts) -

Generally no. I love the time I get to game especially if I can game with friends. Only time it bothers me is when I know I can't play (especially during college when I had so much work I only got to game on the weekends and then it was for like an hour).

#17 Posted by amiirasri (14 posts) -

I used to get that for two reasons.

1) Was in school so I had loads of free time

2) I spent A LOT of time on gaming. Like way too much time. 4 hours was pretty standard, up to the entire waking day with WoW in summertime (minus food/toilet/shower breaks)

Now I am busier and I spend much more time with friends etc. So that's all gone. I actually enjoy MORE those days when I get to sit down for a weekend and do nothing but game till I beat a game because those are rare times now.

#18 Posted by That1BlackGuy (217 posts) -

Forcing yourself to play a game never works out. I like to prioritize myself personally (especially these days in the economy where there is so little work-life balance), when I got older I just added gaming to my list of activities. I'll only play a game if I want to play it, it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.

#19 Posted by Duder_Me (307 posts) -

I like Battlefield 3, but the spawn campers annoy the heck out of me.

#20 Posted by Portis (1279 posts) -

I used to play just about everything worth playing that came out. In recent years though, I just play whatever interests me. Normally like 1 game a month. Maybe two.

#21 Posted by RollingZeppelin (1908 posts) -

Until a game comes out with a better story than The Witcher 2, then I will be unsatisfied with games. They really do feel like a time waister. I'm trying to get through Deus Ex: HR at the moment and only feel like playing when I can't think of anything else I could possibly be doing.

#22 Posted by NTM (7235 posts) -

What's the point of living if you can't have fun? Now, I thought of that saying a few days ago, and I think that's what should be applied to games. I don't think you should be thinking "I'm visiting a fake world, with fake people! Why am I doing this? I should stay in reality! I'm just wasting my life doing this..." You need to take the optimistic way, and it's no less true than anything else you can be doing. Anything can be considered a waste of time. "Wait, you're going to jump out of a plain tomorrow? Why are you wasting your time?" "Oh, you're getting married and thinking about having kids? What a waste of time?" I mean, really. As long as you're doing something else, you're fine. You can play games a lot, and it doesn't matter.

#23 Posted by believer258 (11564 posts) -

You should probably stop playing for a little while, or only play when you really want to.