A movie, book or cartoon that would make a great game.

• 52 results
Damian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Damian

Animal Farm RTS.

Meowayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#52  Edited By Meowayne

You have a point. But there are games that spawned great worlds, and created great fiction with it.  
Like the Halo franchise

The Halo games have not spawned anything, except a few races and two or three reasons why they are shooting at each other for 30 hours. The popularity of the Halo "mythology" created in other media is just another example of media storytelling potential gone to waste because developer don't know better than "Walk a few miles while killing stuff, badly written cutscene, repeat". 

Game developers attempts at making games something they are not (movies) are a stupid mistake and a tragedy. Same thing the other way around. Half-Life 2 at all times is aware of what tools and what timeframe it has available that movies do not, and that there is a person sitting in front of the TV you can have your story, characters and world interact with, and that wants to contribute something to the telling of this world and story. 
That's why its so great. Medium awareness. We should strive to seperate the two media more from another, only borrowing certain devices - not bringing them even closer together. 

That being said - The Bible. ;D
narley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#53  Edited By narley
@Meowayne: 

Ouch, lol. 
Well, I can agree with what you said about half life, great game, great moments, great everything. And regarding halo, I kinda agree with you. As I said on the other post. Im more interested in the halo world cause the the cartoon and the ODST live action trailer. They both showed me something that I might be interested in if it became a movie. I feel that 1 in every 10 or 20 or 30 or even 50 games has the potential of becoming a  good movie, even though a movie studio will most likely ruin it., but it has the potential. 
Just like a good movie or a good book, that created an interesting world has the potential of becoming a good game.  
Like the starwasrs battlefront games. I dont really like starwars, I sometimes find it entertaining in small portions, but thats it. But those games were fun. And for someone who's really into that faction or world, im sure they found it even more entertaining than I did.  
What Im trying to say is that if the right developer, gets behing the right source material, the outcome can be really good. 
But again. thats just my opinion.