#1 Edited by DaMisterChief (628 posts) -
#2 Edited by believer258 (11771 posts) -

God fucking dammit, I just decided that 170 was a little too much and spent my money elsewhere. Yeah, I've gotta pass...

#3 Posted by Snail (8593 posts) -

Indeed that is!

Though I prefer the build quality of the 3DS XL, and even though the 3D works better in the 3DS XL's larger screen, I'd rather have a console that's lighter and fits in smaller pockets - and as far as I understand it, the regular 3DS runs games at a native resolution, while the 3DS XL stretches the video and uses an antialiasing filter.

#4 Posted by Branthog (7458 posts) -

Frankly, I'm only interested in the XL version and I'm not interested in 3D at all -- except that it's the only product that will get me the couple games I want (primarily, Etrian Odyssey IV). It's just too bad the 3DSXL is $210 -- and doesn't even include a fucking charger/adapter.

#5 Posted by ArtisanBreads (3788 posts) -

Hmmmmm........ man I've been thinking more about this recently. Fire Emblem and Animal Crossing.

#6 Posted by RobotHamster (4171 posts) -

I'll wait til Pokemon comes out to get one, hopefully there'll be a price drop for the XL version. And by then there'll be a decent amount of games to justify the purchase for me with Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing and nintendos other stuff.

#7 Edited by Rafaelfc (1324 posts) -

Just bought a Vita and i'm itching to get a 3ds as well... wtf is wrong with me.

I used to be objectively anti-handhelds!

#8 Posted by Sooty (8082 posts) -

I vote nay, the 'vanilla' 3DS leaves a lot to be desired build quality wise and that glossy top portion with the main screen just pissed me off when playing in daylight.

If they had a matte version I'd consider this but god damn I hate glossy crap. It only looks good in photos.

#9 Posted by Garfield518 (404 posts) -

@branthog said:

Frankly, I'm only interested in the XL version and I'm not interested in 3D at all -- except that it's the only product that will get me the couple games I want (primarily, Etrian Odyssey IV). It's just too bad the 3DSXL is $210 -- and doesn't even include a fucking charger/adapter.

Only the EU and Japanese versions sell without a charger - all NA versions come bundled with one.

This is, of course, assuming that you live somewhere in North America.

#10 Posted by Draxyle (1821 posts) -

So very tempting, but I think I'm still holding out for the XL version. Thanks much for the notice though! Maybe if they do a deal for the XL version down the line I'll be on board.

#11 Posted by Chop (1996 posts) -

I'd probably wait on this, if I were you guys. I bought my 3DS last year around this time and got it for around $120; I still think it was a waste of money. You'll burn through the what, three good games or so, and be stuck with a glossy brick.

#12 Posted by Phatmac (5723 posts) -

Fire Emblem is really good you guys!

#13 Posted by JJOR64 (18939 posts) -

Bummer it's not a 3DS XL, but if you don't care about the giant screens, go for it.

#14 Posted by Turtlebird95 (2342 posts) -

Not a bad deal, just hate how small the screens are on the original.

#15 Posted by Branthog (7458 posts) -

@branthog said:

Only the EU and Japanese versions sell without a charger - all NA versions come bundled with one.

This is, of course, assuming that you live somewhere in North America.

Really? I'd read a lot of complaints about the lack of charger and spending another $15 on top of the $210 kind of just rubbed me, on principal. I hadn't even considered that they may be talking about a regional difference. Maybe I'll go for it, after all. :)

#16 Edited by stri26 (31 posts) -

Regarding the build quality of the 3ds XL (I just got one last week), is it standard that the hinges are a little loose (not super stiff when in locked position), and that the d-pad is clicky/loose?

#17 Posted by probablytuna (3596 posts) -

That's pretty great. I bought my 3DS in late 2011 for $150 AUD when they announced a price cut. With a pretty solid list of games this year, it's the perfect time to get a 3DS.

#18 Posted by Nottle (1912 posts) -

Thanks, I bought the Midnight Purple. I need that Fire Emblem.

#19 Posted by Colourful_Hippie (4337 posts) -

Nice.

#20 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11585 posts) -

If the 3DS I bought off ebay for $125 wasn't going to arrive in the mail tomorrow, I would totally capitalize on that deal. I mean, I'm fine with blue, but I think some part of me would prefer Purple.

#21 Posted by joshthebear (2700 posts) -

Gah, I really want to play Fire Emblem and this is super tempting. Just wish it was the XL instead.