A Personal History of Gaming, or Why don't I Play Nintendo Games?

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By ds9143

So I have never really played a Nintendo game.

I was born in 1987, my first console was a SNES. Well, it was my dad's console, but it introduced me to video games. I never got into in a big way, I mean, I was only 4 in 1991 when dad bought the SNES from one of his graduating students (he was a high school chemistry teacher) who didn't want the distraction in college. The console came with an old Madden game, and Super Mario World. It was the first and only Nintendo game I finished and the only one I ever really played. I had a bunch of games by 1996, but never touched JRPGS. My dad and I played a lot of Madden 94, and I remember really enjoying a specific Spider-Man game.

This is the first game I ever really got into.
This is the first game I ever really got into.

I played a bunch of fighting games and didn't really know what I was doing or how to play. This is also kind of funny, because I haven't touched a fighting game since the '90s. I beat Street Fighter II playing the CPU and thought I knew how to play, but I was a dumb kid who didn't know anything. I also played Mortal Kombat, Primal Rage, and a Power Rangers fighting game. Now, I can beat the Power Rangers game in around 15 minutes, but who cares? This game was awesome, and I always loved the Mega-Zords and giant mechs.

Zedd's dead, baby, Zedd's dead.
Zedd's dead, baby, Zedd's dead.

I sort of stopped playing console games in the late '90s when I was around 12 years old. My dad got a half decent PC and I started down the PC gaming path. I really started to understand and appreciate games at this point in my life. It started with DOOM. It was so raw, and violent and my fundamentalist christian parents hated it. So I had to play it. I would sneak into the office after my parents went to bed to play the first couple levels of DOOM (the freeware version) over and over. Then I got my hands on Half-Life. It took me months to beat, and I adored poking in every corner and just exploring a game for the first time. Its funny, because I replayed Half-life in steam and I took me 10 hours. But as a kid, that game felt enormous and I thought I would never end (in a good way). I played Metal Gear Solid on PC around 1999. I fell in love with that game, the story, the characters. It felt so cinematic, it had a political message, i felt like an adult for playing it (Kojimas potty humor aside). Also, MGS taught me to sneak first and shoot later, and was really my first stealth game. Then there was Max Payne. Again, I loved the story, the bullet time, the writing. My friends in middle school would quote Max Payne, and even more so Max Payne 2 in 2003. I also played a bunch of Diablo II and Starcraft at this time, too.

Where's my chaff-grenade?
Where's my chaff-grenade?

Also, around this time I got my first taste of multiplayer FPS as well. I played the shit out of Quake III Arena. The fast pace was intoxicating. My friends and I played on the same server every night for at least a year. I cursed my 56k modem nightly and envied the kids who had cable or DSL connections. I only ever played CTF, but man, I still have those 4 maps memorized like the back of my hand. I played more quake 3 than just about any other game and I don't think anything has come close (although Titanfall scratched that itch for a couple months). I don't really play competitive games these days, with a wife and two kids, but man, Quake III Arena is really a special game.

This is what chaos looks like.
This is what chaos looks like.

So I stopped gaming in high school save the occasional Diablo II character. I got serious about playing guitar and trying to impress girls and didn't game until college. But my freshmen year my room mate had an OG Xbox and GTA: Vice City. I spent a couple drunk nights just driving around the open world, attracting the police and trying to escape. It was a total blast. I went to Wal-Mart, bought San Andreas for PC (my shitty dell laptop was the only gaming platform I had at the time) and lost hours of my life to Los Santos, San Fierro and Las Venturas. I had no idea what a frame rate was, I think it ran at around 20 fps, but I didn't care. I remember one day I literally when to class for 2 hours, and spent every other minute of the day playing GTA: San Andreas for 13 straight hours. In fact, open world games are still my favorite genre to this day, so GTA:SA was probably the most influential game in my life. I loved the goofy story, the writing, the characters, and especially the freedom. No other game has recaptured the magic the was GTA:SA did. Some games have come close, like (surprise) Saint's Row 2 (and 3 and 4) but nothing to the same obsessive degree that GTA:SA did.

Catalina, you are fucking crazy. Just, crazy.
Catalina, you are fucking crazy. Just, crazy.

So I bought a PS2 in college and played everything I could get my hands on. Stand out titles were Persona 3, GTA: San Andreas, Resident Evil 4, Devil May Cry 3, Metal Gear Solid 3, God of War 2, and Final Fantasy 12. As a poor man, in 2010, I sold my PS2 and bought a PS3. This generation of consoles blew my mind. I will never forget buying my first HD TV, picking up uncharted 2, and just being amazed by the level of detail in the levels. I thought the writing and acting was incredible. I loved the fun story, and interestingly, I was really into story driven games at this point, which helped me delve into new genres, most importantly RPGs. I took off work to play Mass Effect 2 when it launched on PS3 January 18th of 2011. I played ME2 for hundreds of hours. I bought Dragon Age Origins on PS3, arguably the worst version, and loved it even more than ME2. At this point I mostly played open world games, wRPGs, and shooters. In 2011 I spent a ton of money on games and played for hours and hours. This is what I played in 2011: Portal 2, Crysis 2, Infamous 2, Uncharted 3, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, DARK SOULS, Catherine, Shadows of the Damned, Resistance 3, Batman Arkham City, Dead Space 2, Dragon Age II, Mass Effect 2, Saint's Row 3, and probably more I am forgetting. It was a hell of a year.

This game really, really blew me away.
This game really, really blew me away.

So, January of 2012 my best friend ruined me. And no, I didn't start playing Nintendo games at this point. My best friend built a PC in 2011 for Battlefield 3. He needed to get rid of his old video card, a GTX 285, and sold it to me for cheap. See, I had Starcraft II, but it ran horribly on my cheap Asus pre-built office machine, so after throwing the new GPU in I could play on mostly high settings and was really enjoying myself. But there was a PC exclusive (at the time) that I always wanted to try, but never had a machine to run it. I bought The Witcher 2 and this game blew me away to the same degree as Mass Effect 2, Uncharted 2, and even GTA: San Andreas. But more importantly, this was the first step in me abandoning consoles altogether. I sold my PS3 in 2012 for $150 of steam credit and haven't looked back. Now, four years later, I have 190 games on steam and haven't really missed the consoles too much. Bloodborne almost had me wanting a PS4, but I couldn't justify the cost at the time. But regardless, I have never really touched Nintendo, not since the 1990's and I feel like I am missing something.

So tell me, should I buy a CRT TV and some old consoles and give it a go? What do you guys think?

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By ds9143

Sorry about the weird formatting, never used images before :(

EDIT: Okay, fixed now :)

riostarwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 206

User Lists: 62

#2 riostarwind  Moderator

I'm not sure if you would get anything out of going back to see what you missed. Especially with SNES games unless you like a lot of the retro inspired PC games that come out these days. The PS2 era is even tougher since they tend to feel like simpler versions of modern console/pc games. That doesn't mean you can't get anything out of them but going by your post I don't think it is worth it. But I can tell you that the Mighty Morphing Power Rangers fighting game you mentioned is still a fun game. I ended up playing it for a while the other day and it was still playable.

Mechageekzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would say do not bother, or emulate at most. I had a similar gaming history and skipped the NES completely for PC gaming and then did the same for the SNES. I was playing commodore vic 20, commodore 64 and PC DOS games in high school and one of my friends got an NES and wanted to show me Legend of Zelda. It was interesting, but I really enjoyed RPG games and found the lack of experience points and stats to improve in zelda to be a negative. Near the end of my college life one of my roommates got The Secret of Mana for the SNES and I loved it, and to this day that is one of those games I will play at least once a year. I stopped playing the PC games I was into at the time and tried to get into more SNES games, but nothing really grabbed me like the Secret of Mana. You MAY find something that grabs you like that game did for me, but the rest of what I tried mostly disappointed me because I was so used to other styles of gaming (FPS , strategy, etc). I would suggest looking over what is available and emulate some of the games that sound good to you to see if they really click with you. The Secret of Mana is just as good on an emulator to me today as it was sitting in front of a CRT with a SNES controller in my hands.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FrodoBaggins

You've missed some absolutely seminal and wonderful games. I would buy a Wii U and just dive straight in, using the Virtual Console.

SilverGlyph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A WiiU is your best option, you'll have not only the WiiU's library but all the Wii games as well. I say if you want to experience more games then you should go for it. Or, maybe do what Mechageekzilla suggested and emulate some of the games you're considering first before you buy any hardware.

What I recommend:

• Super Mario 64
  • Super Mario Galaxy (both of them)
  • Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker
  • Splatoon
  • Mario Kart 8 (best played with friends of course)
  • Xenoblade Chronicles X
monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

I never got into Nintendo either. I played my first home video game system in probably 1976; a b/w light gun game made my Radio Shack. My first console was a Atari 2600, with all of its wood panel 70s swagger. I played my 2600, had access to an Intellivision and 5200. In addition I played a bit with an Oddessy II at a friends house. In 1984 I had an Apple IIc and a slew of games. Once I had a computer, especially and an Apple computer I had access to games and to peripherals that rivaled most consoles easily

So, really, that whole Nintendo things was not in my mind at all. My first computer was awesome, but even my crappy computers that followed could play more interesting games taht consuls were being given. What early PCs lacked in graphics they more than made up for in sophistication and depth. So I was a PC gamer, a deveoted one, during probably the HARDEST TIME in history to be a PC gamer.

I can respects what Nintendo made for games, but I have zero nostalgia for those games. Nintendo devotes have nostalgia for Mario, but I look back fondly on Silent Service or Sea Wolf. Their interest in Zelda, is my love of Seven Cities of Gold and Civilization. They played Mario Cart, but I played Zork 1-2 and Hitchhikers Guide. I think that's okay, they have their things and I have mine. We share different paths, but we share that we know these old games first hand when they came out.

Sure, any kid today can play old Super Mario Bros, but they didn't do it in 1985. Unless you have tried to play Super Mario Bros. as your sister screamed she wanted to watch MTV, so she could watch Tears for Fears' video "Everybody Wants To Rule The World" - then they haven't really played Super Mario Bros.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If your favorite games are Uncharted and GTA: San Andreas then I would say you're probably not missing out on too much by not playing Nintendo. You seem to like adult-themed story-driven or open world games. Those just aren't the games that Nintendo makes. Now is it possible you'd like Nintendo games too? Sure. I like both types, but from what you've said you just don't seem to respond to Nintendo type games the way you do others. The games that 'blew your mind' were like Doom, Metal Gear Solid, and Half-Life. Captain Toad, Treasure Tracker probably isn't going to give you that same 'gaming high.'

ds9143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: yeah, I feel like I played a bunch of games inspired by classic Nintendo games, for instance Dark Souls is inspired by Legend of Zelda and I love Dark Souls so maybe I'll take a stab at Wind Waker or something. Also, loved Ori and the Blind Forest so maybe a metroid game. But yeah, my favorite games are not particularly Nintendo-like for the majority.

odinsmana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ds9143 said:

@bigsocrates: yeah, I feel like I played a bunch of games inspired by classic Nintendo games, for instance Dark Souls is inspired by Legend of Zelda and I love Dark Souls so maybe I'll take a stab at Wind Waker or something. Also, loved Ori and the Blind Forest so maybe a metroid game. But yeah, my favorite games are not particularly Nintendo-like for the majority.

When people talk about zelda and dark souls, I think they mostly mean the first Legend of Zelda, not the 3d ones. You might end up loving the the 3d zelda games, but it probably won`t be because of similarities with Dark souls (In my opinion of course (Also Okami is the secret best Zelda game ( And symphony of the night is the not so secret best metroidvania)))

Also it`s totally okay not playing/liking Nintendo games. You might love them, but they might also just not be for you.