A question about fighting games...

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just wanted to ask: do u fighter fans always play all of your fighters online and competitively? or do u just like to fight against AI in offline, or is that boring? i am literally the worst in the world when it comes to online play in fighting games. but seeing as most fighters today are made to be competitive, i have lost hope in getting any more fighters.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@redloopz: I pretty much never play fighting games online, when I do play them. It's either on the couch with a friend or, more likely, against the AI.

falserelic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Do I play online? Hell yeah.

In the end its just a game have fun with it. We all lose and win, but the more experience you get. The better player you'll start becoming, don't be afraid to take an asswhipping from time to time.

Avatar image for randomcharachter
randomcharachter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

When I get a fighting game I first finish the arcade mod a few times then I go on multiplayer.I don't think AI is boring but a real guy is all ways better.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I usually play them solo or with friends locally.

I've tried playing it online from time to time, but it usually ends with me being completely destroyed. I did try my best to get into UMVC3 online, but after losing about 100 games online I just wasn't motivated to continue.

HerbieBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By HerbieBug

Most of my time with fighting games is spent in practice mode learning combos and stuff. That is the most fun for me. The only fighting game I like playing against other people is the various iterations of SF2.

edit--- and also CvS2. I love that game. Speaking of which, I would be very interested in a sequel to that, but this time made by SNK. That would be rad.

Sooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By Sooty

Online, offline (vs real people) and training mode only.

@eternalvigil said:

I've tried playing it online from time to time, but it usually ends with me being completely destroyed. I did try my best to get into UMVC3 online, but after losing about 100 games online I just wasn't motivated to continue.

Never really understood this mentality, if I gave up that easily when I first started with SFIV I'd be missing out on one of my favourite games of all time.

When I first started SFIV, I never dreamt to be doing Dudley's highest damage combos with regularity, but here I am! I couldn't even throw a fireball reliably without getting uppercuts to come out.

MeganeAgain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MeganeAgain

I prefer to play against offline competition, but I primarily play fighting games online. I only play against AI when I'm experimenting with a new game or character.

EternalVigil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By EternalVigil

@sooty said:

Online, offline (vs real people) and training mode only.

@eternalvigil said:

Never really understood this mentality, if I gave up that easily when I first started with SFIV I'd be missing out on one of my favourite games of all time.

I still really like the game, and I do try occasionally online, but after trying my best to get better and the feeling I wasn't getting anywhere, and with new games out I was more interesting in playing I kinda more interested came out so I drifted off.

It's weird because I've been playing Tekken for years and my favorite game was the one I always got demolished in, so I took the time to get better and learn how to play it properly.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

Preferably, I'd like to play offline vs other players but my options are limited. So online is the next best thing. Either way, there has to be an active community playing the game or there's no point in putting in the time.

soldierg654342

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fun in fighting games for most people comes from playing other people, online or off. Fighting games by pretty much definition are competitive, so if you aren't looking to compete in some fashion (playing for fun still involves playing to win because someone has to win and someone has to loose) then it's probably not the genre for you.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By FLStyle
  • Online to get good at the game
  • At friends' houses to mess around
  • I also complete the story mode with characters once for the cool characters
fox01313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

I prefer the ones where I'm just fighting against my friends either offline or online. Though after trying out a variety of the more recent fighting games, seems like MK9 is the only one I care for (great single player story to it).

gokaired

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By gokaired

Not too competitive, I prefer AI but it's always fun against another person however rarely online. It's better side to side.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Zeik

Depends on the game. I have several fighting games I've almost never touched the online. (Either because the online sucks or I just don't care to.) Although I probably spend more time offline than on, regardless of the game, just because playing nothing but online matches can get frustrating. I can often be satisfied just messing around in training mode or fighting AI for awhile.

Your best bet for online is to just to get on and try to find some people around your skill level that can give you an enjoyable challenge without frustrating you and then try to friend them so you can play against them regularly. If all you do is rely on luck of the draw you'll probably end up frustrated more often than not if you're not that good. Keep in mind that if you want to improve you don't want to just fight people worse than you though.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@fox01313 said:

I prefer the ones where I'm just fighting against my friends either offline or online. Though after trying out a variety of the more recent fighting games, seems like MK9 is the only one I care for (great single player story to it).

Yeah, the story mode and challenge tower were exquisite. A+ effort on Netherrealm with that stuff.

BBAlpert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

The fun in fighting games for most people comes from playing other people, online or off. Fighting games by pretty much definition are competitive, so if you aren't looking to compete in some fashion (playing for fun still involves playing to win because someone has to win and someone has to loose) then it's probably not the genre for you.

This is precisely why I can't get into fighting games (or Starcraft). I have to make a concentrated effort not to let myself get too into the competitive spirit because I'm unfortunately one of those kinds of people that gets super frustrated easily. And not in a "complains and makes a bunch of excuses why I didn't win, but should have" way, in a "tapping the buttons becomes smashing the buttons becomes forcefully slamming my palm down onto the control panel as hard as I can becomes throwing the fightstick I payed $80 for onto the ground and yelling 'FUCK THIS GAME'" way.

I really wish I wasn't that way, but I am, and always have been. And since I can't change how I am (in this particular way at least), I figure the next best thing is to just avoid games that do that to me.

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Local and online. I am usually able to keep my cool and just have fun.

dichemstys

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Local more often than not with my fiancee, because we have a similar skill level.

MegaLombax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couch coop or AI. Never online. Always story mode first. I'm not confident enough to play fighting games online.

Barf_Surprise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I play offline or with friends until I get bored/good enough to take it online, then it is a crap shoot as to if I stay with a game depends if I get matched against my level of play.

Avatar image for ownlyuzinwonhan
OwnlyUzinWonHan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

Usually always online, only really offline multiplayer when I play in tournaments.

Belegorm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I mostly play online or offline with my friends, but if I'm actively trying to improve at the game (haven't done that in a while), then I'll play a lot online. Same with Starcraft (both BW and SC2). However, with fighting games you frequently don't get much out of it playing online against random people every match, at least not until you reach a certain skill level.

TechHits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

The first thing I do when I buy a fighter is go online. If you wouldn't play the game online (unless it's smash bro's) I wouldn't pick up fighting games.

Fivek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would play online. Tekken was laggy online. I never tried mortal combat on pc. I did not buy it because from the forum almost no players was online.

ImmortalSaiyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Versus AI will never help you improve and gets old quick. Online is often laggy. Offline play with others is the ideal way to play any game in the genre. Online for some games can be a decent substitute.

RedLoopz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sooty: not everyone has the nerves and maybe even the time to get very good at online in fighting games. and i dont even wana mention those assholes who are like level 20 or something and come into beginners only rooms

ThePhantomnaut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 5

#28  Edited By ThePhantomnaut

Online is not optimal most of the time due to latency. You might as well be playing locally and communicating with better players on how to level up. Online might feel comfortable once you get your footing but take it semi-seriously.