A question for Australian - Who imports games from Amazon?

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By oldschool

This question goes out to my fellow Australians, and sure, why not, New Zealanders.  Do you use Amazon to import games?  If you do, tell me all about it.  I normally use playasia and dvdboxoffice, but Amazon has some decent specials.  I really like the look of Fire Emblem DS for $18 (    Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon  ) and the postage seems okay.  Educate me, tell me if there are any issues, such as customs (the other 2 bypass customs and use regular post). 

Thanks in advance for any info and advice.

Crocio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Crocio

I was living in Aus for .5 years and just arrived back in the US a month ago.
While there, I always bought through either digital distribution with access to US deals/prices(I had a US credit card);
Or through visiting family members importing the game for me. Though, I never had a game imported through mail.

I think the prices are ridiculous for retail games, i.e. the conversion of $US does not equate with the store price for games.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By oldschool
@Crocio said:
" I was living in Aus for .5 years and just arrived back in the US a month ago.While there, I always bought through either digital distribution with access to US deals/prices(I had a US credit card); Or through visiting family members importing the game for me. Though, I never had a game imported through mail.  I think the prices are ridiculous for retail games, i.e. the conversion of $US does not equate with the store price for games. "
Exactly.  A US price for a game of $50/$60 is about $57/$68 Au, but we pay at least $100 Au.  Any wonder we look to import. 

Still looking for another Australian who has used Amazon.  Not looking good to get that info so far.
mordukai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By mordukai

Fucking take care of Michael Atkins and get your MA 18+ rating already then you guys won't have to import your games. I can't believe this is the same country that gave us Wolf Creek. That movie signal handedly made sure that if I ever plan on going hiking in the australian outback then I would do so with a tank.  

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By oldschool
@Mordukai said:
" Fucking take care of Michael Atkins and get your MA 18+ rating already then you guys won't have to import your games. I can't believe this is the same country that gave us Wolf Creek. That movie signal handedly made sure that if I ever plan on going hiking in the australian outback then I would do so with a tank.   "
He would just sabotage your tracks, so your tank will be useless ^-^ 

I am lucky that the games that get no classification (i.e. banned from retail sale) are not the games I play anyway.  Still, Atkins is a dick.  He did get 50 Cent banned, and that was a good thing  ^-^
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

User Lists: 28

#6  Edited By Pepsiman

I was fairly certain that the US Amazon branch, much like the others, doesn't export games outside its territory because of licensing issues involving console manufacturers, and lo and behold, right there on that very Fire Emblem page: "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses." And if the used marketplace on there is anything like my experiences with Amazon Japan, those are also off limits without going through some really, really obtuse hoops. I will state for the record that a lot of other non-game items can be imported directly from them, though. Just be prepared to have fun with their shipping prices.

oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By oldschool
@Pepsiman said:
" I was fairly certain that the US Amazon branch, much like the others, doesn't export games outside its territory because of licensing issues involving console manufacturers, and lo and behold, right there on that very Fire Emblem page: "Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S. and to APO/FPO addresses." And if the used marketplace on there is anything like my experiences with Amazon Japan, those are also off limits without going through some really, really obtuse hoops. "
I missed that.  Crap that is annoying.  So much for free trade huh.  Looks like playasia and dvdboxoffice will just stay my main source.
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Pepsiman
@oldschool: Yeah, it's weird economic stuff at work there that I don't completely understand myself. If Amazon were to try doing that, we'd probably have another Lik-Sang on our hands to some extent or other, if anybody still remembers that lovely place.
oldschool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By oldschool
@Pepsiman said:
" @oldschool: Yeah, it's weird economic stuff at work there that I don't completely understand myself. If Amazon were to try doing that, we'd probably have another Lik-Sang on our hands to some extent or other, if anybody still remembers that lovely place. "
Asshats!  Why is.t this a problem for Hong Kong and Canada though?  I just don't get the rules, what they are and why they exist (yeah, I know it is about protecting local distributers, but that it anti-competitive).
Pepsiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Pepsiman
@oldschool: I'd ask an econ or law major. As a Japanese major, I'm not exactly an expert on the subject. I know Lik-Sang was actually doing just fine up until they started exporting PS3s to Europe specifically and that somehow made all hell break loose for them. I don't think they ever went after any other import sites, although I think that may have made places like Play-Asia stop exporting Sony stuff to Europe. It's a weird situation.