a question for people who have BOTH XBL and PSN

Avatar image for deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c
deactivated-5e12c8fcf3f2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

how do the two compare? do you think the $50/year you pay for xbl is worth it? what was wrong with psn anyways? hackers? laggy servers? im asking because i think my 360 is gonna red ring soon and i may just trade it in when the repair process is done.

TheGTAvaccine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By TheGTAvaccine

Nothing wrong with PSN from what I have seen. Less idiots too.

Mind you, I've only played Metal Gear Online though.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Jayge_

Don't bother going and looking for the 50 kajillion replies to threads that already exist.

They compare, not too well. It must be admitted that Live is still better, and probably will get a huge boost from The New Xbox Experience in November. PSN was catching up until then, but keeps delaying features. The In-game XMB was somewhat of a failure, too.

Soap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 29

#4  Edited By Soap

Yeah PSN seems to have less idiots online, but the service can be a bit slower and a little more laggy.... to be fair though it's free so you can't complain.

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jayge_

There are also a much lower amount of people with microphones (contributes to the less idiots, they're still there, you just can't hear them). Dedicated servers are a blessing and a curse. Cross-game invites are not allowed, and the game gets interrupted and makes you deal with the invite instead of letting it lay dormant like on Live.

But, it is free.

Not only is it free, but hopefully the impending releases of Home and Life will go well and be free, too.

Not to mention Sony's open content structure, web browser, feed manager, ease of use with the PSP, rental service (has far better movies and TV shows than Live, although that's a matter of personal opinion) etc.

It's all up in the air right now.

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jimbojones

XboxLIVE is the best online gaming experience you can get out of any console. It does everything perfectly. Even plays your ipod music while playing games

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Jayge_
jimbojones said:
"XboxLIVE is the best online gaming experience you can get out of any console. It does everything perfectly. Even plays your ipod music while playing games"
Not quite, but Microsoft appreciates the enthusiasm, Timmy.
Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Demyx

To be honest. I don't use enough of either to make an educated response.

jonb1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jonb1

Well, online play si what you money is going to. Silver gets the same thing in the XBLM, maybe just a bit later.

XBLM has much more content, more demos, more arcade games.....more, well....everything. Imo, PSN is pretty tame in comparison. As for playing online...i only played UT3 on Ps3 (horrible, turned into all bots) and MGO....which was disgusting to get going, but i blame that more on Konami that Sony. But MS wouldnt have shit like that.

XBL>>PSN. Id rather pay for PSN too if it would mean it being better.

TSHBR

Avatar image for bestusernameever
BestUsernameEver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BestUsernameEver

LIVE is better for joining games from your friends list, messaging quick, chat rooming quick and pretty much getting in online with a bunch more people than PSN. when I am on PSN, everything that is one click away on LIVE is menus away on PSN. Like messaging someone while in game. You first have to wait for the friends to load, then go to create message, then go to a list of friends, select em, then type it. Live, you go to their profile, click create message and done. All in All, PSN is VERY close to Live. But live shouldn't be 50 big ones, if a service so close to it's calibur is free. So, for your money's worth get PSN, you wont miss much.

Demyx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Demyx

PSN should actually start charging. Hopefully it'll be ten times better. And if its lower than Live, Microsoft will have no choice but to lower XBL.
I'm sure we can live with like 15 bucks a year.

Daanienator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Daanienator

I never use PSN I play all my multiplatform on my xbox (one of the reasons is that my parents pay for XBL)

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#13  Edited By Vaxadrin

I think Live & PSN are both worth the price it costs to use them.

Bartiemus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#14  Edited By Bartiemus

live is good because i like the fact i can just press a button and find a quick match online while some games have thagt on ps3 its not uniform and sometimes u have to sign up for individual gams which is annoying

ZimpanX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By ZimpanX

You get what you pay for basically

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By mike
Demyx said:
"PSN should actually start charging. Hopefully it'll be ten times better. And if its lower than Live, Microsoft will have no choice but to lower XBL.
I'm sure we can live with like 15 bucks a year."
I'm not sure I follow your logic here.  PSN is currently free, and Microsoft hasn't changed Xbox Live pricing at all..how would Sony starting to charge for PSN prompt Microsoft to lower the price of Xbox Live?
Wuffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Wuffi

they both are good

Jayge_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jayge_
MB said:
"Demyx said:
"PSN should actually start charging. Hopefully it'll be ten times better. And if its lower than Live, Microsoft will have no choice but to lower XBL.
I'm sure we can live with like 15 bucks a year."
I'm not sure I follow your logic here.  PSN is currently free, and Microsoft hasn't changed Xbox Live pricing at all..how would Sony starting to charge for PSN prompt Microsoft to lower the price of Xbox Live?"
It wouldn't, if it remained static. I think his logic is taking him to the conclusion that lets say, the PSN were 20 bucks a year. That's around 5 cents a day, round up a bit to 40 cents a week. You could passively collect change over time and make more than that; but it would give Sony that much more funding. He seems to be thinking that if Sony completely outclasses Live at a much lower price, Live will have to enter some hardcore feature-wars and lower its price to compete.
Shasam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By Shasam

The microphone issue is my biggest one, most people on the 360 have one. It's true that the PS3 has a good open format for that kind of stuff, but it hasn't worked out yet, it's full of silent people. That can make games hard.

Other than that, online works well for both, friends list works well for both, there's not much difference.

ParanoidFreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ParanoidFreak

I prefer XBL, larger community (even if most people are annoying) and if your including the arcade I like it better. I enjoy PSN too, not paying is nice, but it just feels soul-less to me. PSN has it's fair share of idiots too, despite what most people say.

BiggerBomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#21  Edited By BiggerBomb

My dad has a PS3 but I don't think he knows how to set up PSN or if he even wants to play online. I can say though that XBL is great, it isn't without flaws but I really love it. Yeah, there are idiots, but it really depends on what game you are playing. If you play Halo there is no one who has gone through puberty, COD4 has a bunch of Europeans who hate Americans, but other games have a great community; Bad Company for example. Still, even the games who have a lot of idiots playing them will have some good people, too.

I can't stand playing a game in silence and to be able to communicate with your team is priceless, it makes the experience 10x better. If the people are annoying, mute them and turn off your mic. I would rather have the option of talking to people or muting the assholes than not have the opportunity to talk much at all.

Think about it.

Edit: XBLM is also great. The layout could use a facelift in the form of organization, but the content available is really good. You can find hundreds of great TV shows and movies to download for fair prices. I reccomend XBL.