• 109 results
#1 Posted by Grim_Wreeper (24 posts) -

I don't post much here in the forums but I have watched and listened to Giant bomb for a long time.

There's nothing more I like than sitting down and watching Unprofessional Fridays on a Saturday morning (Europe here, thanks to whoever dev'd the XBMC plugin), and I used to enjoy TNT in the exact same light. In fact, they were my favorite shows and the entire reason I started paying for premium content which always was, nothing short of hilariously amazing. In particular I really like the way Ian (Thanks Ian) puts the guys in the studio on the game screen.

Unprofessional Fridays has gotten even better for me in recent times as I really like the addition of Drew to the mix permanently. He's got a unique perspective on the type of games that the other guys aren't as interested in. Vinny's current FMV game binge is one of my favorite things to watch ever. Watching unprofessional Fridays is one of the activities my girlfriend and I look forward to every week. She's not interested in clips where you can't see the dudes talking and get their facial expressions. She watches more for the genuine humor and not so much for the actual games. I totally get that and I'm sure she's not alone on that one.

Now to the negatives.

Whatever happened to TNT? The current premium content doesn't interest me too much as it's changed a lot in recent months. I know there was the tragic loss of Ryan during this time and that most likely contributed to a reshuffle in the site and the way things were shot. however it's with a heavy heart I'm considering leaving the premium status of the site as I don't think it speaks to me as it once did. The site has changed greatly since I originally joined.

It's not entertaining to me to watch one person talk through a game on their own (spooking with Scoops). I have no interest in DOTA (although I do enjoy the ribbing that Brad gets from the other Duders) and certainly I have no interest in listening to a premium pro wrestling podcast from a video game website. Even Scoops and the Wolf I just find uncomfortable. I feel like I'm caught in the middle of two people having a conversation and I'm 3 inches away from both of their faces.

So, fellow members of the Giant Bomb community, I ask you; Has the site changed or have I changed? Am I the only one that misses the other valuable premium content from the site? Where are the show's like TNT, endurance runs and even mailbags?!? Hell, I'd even be happy if they just brought back I love/hate Mondays.

How do we all feel?

#2 Posted by lightsoda (542 posts) -

Everything changes, there are no constants. If you want to leave, that's your prerogative.

I intend to stick around, and yes, I've noticed changes.

#3 Posted by ElixirBronze (447 posts) -

I dunno but this tweet from Vinny recently got me really excited. Really excited. Just hope they follow through on it.

#4 Posted by Grim_Wreeper (24 posts) -

That's great ElixirBronze, hopefully it'll be the start of a regular theme.

#5 Posted by Poppy_Persona (155 posts) -

I'm loving it lately but its mainly been Patrick's content that i enjoy so....

#6 Posted by cutyoface (553 posts) -
#7 Edited by Grim_Wreeper (24 posts) -

@poppy_persona I'm genuinely happy that you're liking that content so much. It looks like great content (it's not "bad" just because I don't like it by any means), but it doesn't hold much more than a passing interest for me. It's just not my cup of tea. However that being said, I did really enjoy the 10 second game jam post.

What I loved about this site in the beginning was the interaction between duders and how that played out in Jokes and serious discussions. Almost like an extension of the podcast.

#8 Posted by Christoffer (1921 posts) -

I'm sure they have something in the works to replace/upgrade TNT. The format really needed to be reworked. Personally, I would like to see more stuff where the community is involved. As I understand it, we have guilds/clans/corporations/platoons in most popular multiplayer games. Something could maybe be done with that.

(So basically I want TNT back but without the need to bring a new game every week. Just work with the games that are popular in the community)

I hope you stick around, or come back, to see what they come up with in the (hopefully near) future.

#9 Posted by TheHT (11797 posts) -

If you're able, try to check out Spookin With Scoops when it's live, I find it a lot more enjoyable.

#10 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -

@poppy_persona: I really enjoy he is really scared then just counters it with beer which in turns makes him even more twitchy.

#11 Edited by Humanity (10111 posts) -

I dunno but this tweet from Vinny recently got me really excited. Really excited. Just hope they follow through on it.

Dear God... daily Dark Souls with Vinny..

What dark gods do I have to pray to for this to happen? How many pizzas do I need to send Jeff's way?

#12 Edited by utamaru (97 posts) -

You're right, there hasn't been a TNT in a while, almost like some kind of wrench-like-object got thrown in some wheels or something.

#13 Posted by Nekroskop (2786 posts) -

Too much DOTA2 crap. If it weren't for Patrick doing his thing with the horror videos and indie cavalcade quick-looks, this site would be a barren wasteland. I've unsubbed a while ago, but I might resub for another year if VInny and Matt start doing Daily Dark Souls aka A NEW FUCKING ENDURANCE RUN!

#14 Edited by Grim_Wreeper (24 posts) -

@nekroskop It's funny, the endurance run has literally become a joke at this point (remember the CAH panel?). One Idea I'd really like to see them implement is one they've joked about in the past. Driving a big rig across the US non stop in teams. It sounds like a boring idea but if they dressed it up I think it could be really enjoyable (Falling asleep at the wheel? That's a paddlin').

@christoffer Thanks for encouraging me to stick around, and your idea sounds like a good one.

It's silly to miss 5 min videos, but I really liked seeing what users sent the guys, and their 5 min Monday talks filmed on a phone.

Although it probably doesn't come across well, I DO really enjoy the site. I just hope things can get back to the fun loving way there were while ago. I created this topic just to "test the water" with the community to see if I was the only one who felt this way. Although it's tough to criticize anything in the internet without sounding SUPER negative, believe me when I say I think this site is pretty good, but I believe it has the potential to become much better than what it is currently, even if this means moving backward a bit to find the groove.

#15 Posted by flasaltine (1708 posts) -

I cant wait for the Dungeons and Dragons thing. Also, a Daily Dark Souls would be amazing.

#16 Posted by TruthTellah (9475 posts) -

So, fellow members of the Giant Bomb community, I ask you; Has the site changed or have I changed?

Both. The site has changed and you have changed. Both are likely to continue to change.

I don't think there's any shame in possibly feeling like you may not want to be premium anymore; though, for me, their content is still well worth the premium subscription. But that's just me. I hope they'll continue to try out new content and something will click with you.

#17 Posted by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

I love Unprofessional Fridays even though the only video games i ever play any more are Fortune Street & Dr. Mario. I love their movie podcast even though I haven't watched a movie in theatres since Star Trek, and I love their wrestling podcast even though I haven't the faintest interest in wrestling. And when the time comes for me to renew my subscription, I will, not because I love their premium content, but because the Internet is in trouble, and I want Giant Bomb to stick around.

#18 Edited by BeardMcBeard (10 posts) -

@flacracker: Yes! Me too! Word is that they'll be playing the Pathfinder beginner box, including character creation - should be a laugh.

#19 Posted by rmanthorp (4057 posts) -

I'm grateful for the dip as my work has been ramping up. I'm never feeling want for more especially with Bombing in the AM and all the Dumptruck stuff recently. I'm content with the content.

#20 Edited by probablytuna (3824 posts) -

My favourite new feature is Bombin' The AM with Scoops and The Wolf. It allows Patrick and Alex to provide their own commentary/opinion on the news that might otherwise be ignored or won't be discussed in depth on the Bombcast. If you feel uncomfortable seeing their faces so close to the camera, why not just listen to the audio version?

#21 Edited by Suicrat (3764 posts) -

@probablytuna: yeah, that's a good point. Alex and Patrick are ugly fuckers, but their musings are worth hearing. I'm just glad Alex is more than just a byline.

#22 Posted by Zurv (447 posts) -

@grim_wreeper

i total agree - I'm thinking of stopping my membership too. Honestly any content from Alex or Patrick in general aren't worth my time and that is 1/2 what i get for paying.

#23 Edited by Grissefar (2830 posts) -

@grim_wreeper said:

I don't post much here in the forums but I have watched and listened to Giant bomb for a long time.

There's nothing more I like than sitting down and watching Unprofessional Fridays on a Saturday morning (Europe here, thanks to whoever dev'd the XBMC plugin), and I used to enjoy TNT in the exact same light. In fact, they were my favorite shows and the entire reason I started paying for premium content which always was, nothing short of hilariously amazing. In particular I really like the way Ian (Thanks Ian) puts the guys in the studio on the game screen.

Unprofessional Fridays has gotten even better for me in recent times as I really like the addition of Drew to the mix permanently. He's got a unique perspective on the type of games that the other guys aren't as interested in. Vinny's current FMV game binge is one of my favorite things to watch ever. Watching unprofessional Fridays is one of the activities my girlfriend and I look forward to every week. She's not interested in clips where you can't see the dudes talking and get their facial expressions. She watches more for the genuine humor and not so much for the actual games. I totally get that and I'm sure she's not alone on that one.

Now to the negatives.

Whatever happened to TNT? The current premium content doesn't interest me too much as it's changed a lot in recent months. I know there was the tragic loss of Ryan during this time and that most likely contributed to a reshuffle in the site and the way things were shot. however it's with a heavy heart I'm considering leaving the premium status of the site as I don't think it speaks to me as it once did. The site has changed greatly since I originally joined.

It's not entertaining to me to watch one person talk through a game on their own (spooking with Scoops). I have no interest in DOTA (although I do enjoy the ribbing that Brad gets from the other Duders) and certainly I have no interest in listening to a premium pro wrestling podcast from a video game website. Even Scoops and the Wolf I just find uncomfortable. I feel like I'm caught in the middle of two people having a conversation and I'm 3 inches away from both of their faces.

So, fellow members of the Giant Bomb community, I ask you; Has the site changed or have I changed? Am I the only one that misses the other valuable premium content from the site? Where are the show's like TNT, endurance runs and even mailbags?!? Hell, I'd even be happy if they just brought back I love/hate Mondays.

How do we all feel?

You don't have to be a premium man to watch the TNT. It it always archieved on Twitch.

But yeah the Friday show is the only thing tempting me to become a premium dude, as the rest sucks a giant assdick. It seems you have to be more than a Giant Bomb Megafan to enjoy that stuff, which is sort of the point, I guess. I guess the sad truth is that if Vinny is not involved, there is a good chance it is going to be a sad piece of content. So more Vinny is definately welcome, even if I hope the Vinny Dark Souls show is going to be free.

#24 Posted by McLargepants (396 posts) -

Here we are again. On this weeks podcast Vinny said they are planning on filling out the days with more live streams, so stay tuned for that. TNT was getting stale already, and there haven't been many big games to feature on TNT anyway, it being the summer and all that.

#25 Edited by joshwent (2353 posts) -

If you like Patrick and Alex, you should be loving Giant Bomb right now. If you're like me and can't fucking stand, well... nope, never mind. Not worth it.

Vinny and Jeff are still absolutely hilarious the little we get of 'em; good enough.

#26 Posted by Arabes (345 posts) -

@grim_wreeper: The site definitely has changed and has been going in a direction that I like less and less, mostly since joining CBS. The vast majority of the content seems to be produced by Alex and Patrick and I don't really have any love for them. I like Brad, Vinny, Jeff and Drew but aside from teh the Daily Dota (which bores me to tears) they're not doing that much content. I think Giantbomb has really taken a back seat to other CBS concrens and that's a bummer.

#27 Posted by Morningstar (2242 posts) -

I watch quick looks, UF and worth playing. And I always look forward to worth reading and the bombcast. Spookin, morning show, wrestling podcast and dota 2 I don't care about. I still feel like Im getting my moneys worth though, even if half of the content doesn't interest me these days.

#28 Posted by csl316 (9478 posts) -

Premium changes year to year. Like a channel's shows can change year to year.

#29 Edited by alwaysbebombing (1651 posts) -

I have a sneaking suspicion there will be some form of TNT returning in Scooptober (October) when the GTA multiplayer drops.

And I don't really understand "Alex and Patrick" producing all the content. Jeff, Vinny, Brad, and Drew do the bombcast, all the Quick Looks. We got to watch Vinny play GTA V. Unprofessional Fridays is always really great, and even Alexis steps in once in awhile. I'm not sure what more people need? Or how they even have the time to consume all this Giant Bomb media the minute it comes out.

#30 Edited by joshwent (2353 posts) -

And I don't really understand "Alex and Patrick" producing all the content. Jeff, Vinny, Brad, and Drew do the bombcast, all the Quick Looks. We got to watch Vinny play GTA V. Unprofessional Fridays is always really great, and even Alexis steps in once in awhile. I'm not sure what more people need?

The point, like you said yourself by mentioning TNT, is that there used to be more from the west coast guys, and now there's just less. Vinny playing GTA V was great, but there's no consistency with them doing random stuff like that. More to the point, there seems to be little motivation on their part to even do that kind of thing. The Breaking Brad Devil May Cry seemed to be Vinny pushing him every time, and that was still spread out over fucking months!

I'm really not complaining, there's a good amount of content from all, but it's undeniable that the office guys are just doing less than they used to.

#31 Posted by edoone (39 posts) -
#32 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

Spookin' with Scoops is easily my favourite premium series. I generally don't enjoy playing horror games, so this is a rare opportunity for me to see more Patrick and see more of this sort of game. Daily DOTA comes as a close second. I really enjoy the online DOTA gang, and I happen to love the game itself.

I actually really like the movement away from group-oriented casts. I find the lack of focus to be incredibly numbing. It just feels like watching a bunch of (mostly entertaining) people sit around, trying not to be bored by poking at a bunch of incredibly niche games. There's nothing fun about that. I'd gladly throw TNT and Unprofessional Fridays into the fire if I means more Jar Time from Jeff, some Daily Dark Souls from Vinny, and some Simulation Sunday (hypothetical cast) from Drew.

I don't want to see people trying not to be bored (while trying too hard to entertain viewers). I want to see them immersed in what they enjoy the most.

#33 Edited by flyingace16021 (169 posts) -

For me, the premium content is still well worth my time and money? A lot of that has to do with the fact that I do enjoy watching DOTA stuff. I agree that I'm kinda wanting for more and different premium stuff. Especially something that is weekly. The site really feels like they're in a huge transitional period, and I've stuck through for the past couple times it's been like that, so I'm gonna keep going. Totally understand that thought though!

#34 Posted by LibrorumProhibitorum (366 posts) -

TNT, like TANG, was Ryan's show. Jeff and others did take over TNT when Ryan was absent, but that show had Ryan literally all over it. Taking over a show which has such a connection to Ryan may come off as a bit disrespectful to some, and if they were to do another multiplayer based show I am doubting it'd be branded TNT, it'd be something new.

As for the amount of content, they're been putting out more than ever. Sure, not as much premium shows, but everyone is pulling their weight right now, and after going through the loss of what could be considered a huge part of the heart and soul of the entire show, Ryan, I'm surprised they're back to form so quickly. I can't deal with loss that quick, I respect them more than I ever have.

#35 Posted by Hells (69 posts) -

Some of the negatives @grim_reaper listed are positives for other people, the Giant Bomb staff do a great job at producing a wide variety of games and even things that arent gaming related. Thats what makes this site great. The site has definitely changed and will continue to change, but this is what keeps the site fresh and interesting in my opinion.

For me, Premium Membership for the site is like having a subscription to gaming magazines back in the 90s (EGM was awesome back then). The amount of premium and non-premium content they put out on a monthly basis is well worth the cost of membership. I'm also willing to bet that if they didn't have the subscriber support they did today, the site wouldn't be what it is today.

#36 Posted by kadash299 (282 posts) -

i just want to point out that

"the office"

Is now down two people who did a good majority of the content over the last many moons.

One of them is still producing content,

The other is busy with the Heavenly Podcast featuring St. Paul, Peter, and Jesus.

#37 Posted by MonetaryDread (2178 posts) -

I feel like this thread pops up about once a month on the boards. Maybe we should have a stickied thread where people can bitch and moan about premium content.

#38 Edited by LackingSaint (1856 posts) -

Spookin With Scoops, Bombin' The AM and Box Office Bomb are some of my favourite features on the site right now, so i'm happy as far as Premium Content goes. Like everyone else I wish Endurance Run was less of an office joke because, despite everything else, my absolute favourite piece of GiantBomb Content is the Persona 4 Run. Pipe dreams!

#39 Posted by TheManWithNoPlan (6002 posts) -

The content's changed a little, but the shenanigans and insightful video game talk I've come to love are still the same.

#40 Edited by konig_kei (670 posts) -

Dude, listen to the powerbombcast. I liked wrestling for like 3 months when I was 10-11 and I have no idea what they're on about but they're so passionate about it, it's great. Also, bombin the am is a great podcast to listen to as well.

#41 Posted by Marokai (3150 posts) -

I think there's a lot still to be desired in their premium content offerings, and they're still trying to find a full footing after Ryan's passing, but that being said, Unprofessional Fridays is easily the best regular feature since the Endurance Run. It's become a reliably enjoyable, if not always balls-bustingly-hilarious, show that I know will always be there for me at the end of the week. Reliability is the key for whatever features they come up with in the future.

Some sort of daily feature with the main GB crew would make me a happy camper, but at least having some reliability to Breaking Brad or Vinny-Does-Whatever features would be so, so nice to have. The lack of reliable scheduling to their content outside of Unprofessional Fridays and the Bombcast (coincidentally, two of the best things this site has going for it) is the biggest disappointment. I see where you're coming from re: missing TNT, but if they replaced it with another scheduled show, I would be just as happy. What I'm happy to stay subscribed for is knowing their take their entertainment role seriously enough to schedule things out at least on some basic level.

Quick Looks in the last couple weeks have also been pretty good.

#42 Posted by super2j (1797 posts) -

I agree with you except on the spooking with scoops, that show is fantastic. I have been a member on and off for a long time now, I spent 5$ here (a month) that i would not spend on dlc, a cool little game or a tv/movie service. I think that says something about how much I like giantbomb, but ya, I keep thinking "what if i just stop being a member for a while and come back every few months when there is enough premium content to dig into.". Aside from the project diva quicklook, i feel like most quicklooks are way not as funny as they used to be. As a result the only spark of funny giantbomb that I get is from the premium stuff... which is I guess the reason I dont do my previous plan. At some point without me realizing, i started to look for other internet people to make me laugh with their funny personalities over videogames... at this point I am enjoying 2bestfriendsplay.

#43 Posted by davidwitten22 (1708 posts) -

The premium content has never really been all that appealing, its mostly podcasts and Patrick stuff at this point.

#44 Edited by MistaSparkle (2148 posts) -

If this happens I may finally play through all of Dark Souls instead of starting over after reaching Anor Londo...

#45 Posted by FinalDasa (2065 posts) -

TNT, like TANG, was Ryan's show. Jeff and others did take over TNT when Ryan was absent, but that show had Ryan literally all over it. Taking over a show which has such a connection to Ryan may come off as a bit disrespectful to some, and if they were to do another multiplayer based show I am doubting it'd be branded TNT, it'd be something new.

This. I can't imagine how hard it would be to do a show that Ryan was the main force behind. His personality could make boring TNTs into something special. I'm surprise these guys have been able to recover and put on fantastic shows so quickly. I don't expect, or even want, them to get back to where GB used to be. I want them to put on shows and make content they want to make and if it doesn't work out they'll think of something else to do. It's what they've always done.

#46 Posted by Boboblaw (330 posts) -

There's a severe lack of premium (video) content from the main dudes. It's mainly just Patrick cranking that shit out. Anyway leave it ticking over for a while as others have said its a 4 man crew at the moment. They need people.

Also never got the excuse many give here about TNT being Ryans show so they should leave it be.

#47 Posted by HerbieBug (4208 posts) -

I would happily re-up my subscription if Jeff did his Jar videos more frequently. Give me two Jar videos per month and I'm all your's, Mr. Gerstmann. :D

#48 Posted by librariangmr (183 posts) -

DAILY DARK SOULS!!!!!!

#49 Edited by Grim_Wreeper (24 posts) -

Revisiting this topic after a weekend away I'm glad to have provoked such a varied discussion. To be honest I expected to the be shouted down by the "these guys can do no wrong" brigade, but this thankfully hasn't happened, and this topic seems full of posts from both sides of the fence, along with a few people currently occupying the seating of the fence with me.

As @boboblaw pointed out, most of the premium content right now is being cranked out by Patrick. Which is great if you love the Patrick content. I do not, and thanks to @joshwent and a couple more (more than I though) for letting me know I'm not alone on this. I feel like I need to stress again that Patrick & Alex are doing a great job lately pushing out content, but this content does nothing for me as It's the social aspect to Giant Bomb that got me hooked. Also I completely agree with that user that the Devil May Cry content was pushed by Vinny, I feel like if it was left up to Brad, it would never be finished. Brad even had to be pushed to finish the Brothers review, a game he claims to love. But that's another story entirely.

I think if a couple more weekly shows would be great and definitely worth tuning in for. @herbiebug more Jar videos would be great too! The Vinny playing GTA V was the best random show I've seen in a while, as well as being pretty much the ONLY random video.

I guess the best thing for me to do is to leave the site for now, wait and hope. I really hope that they get more consistency in the "west coast" shows as for me, they encapsulate the "social" aspect of Giant Bomb that makes it different from other video game websites.

#50 Edited by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

They should do another Endurance Run. Yeah, yeah I know - they've said it's been done and whatever. But really the only proper one has been Persona 4, it was well loved and frankly I think most people would welcome it back. It won't happen, but I can dream.

I live on the other side of the world, so the live content is irrelevant to me. I want more features on the site (written I mean) and a return of small segments like I Love Mondays. I totally get that This Ain't No Game was Ryan's ... but I'd love a pre-recorded 15-minute weekly show. Like if the Encyclopedia Bombastica was the guys running us through a game with a little bit of history mixed with personal experiences. Four guys, one each a month.

I'm not unhappy with the site, and I like Alex and Patrick's new show ... but I care fuck all about wrestling and the new Screened podcast is good but sounds more like two guys talking who see movies now and then rather than people paid to cover the industry. I still like it... but IGN's Keepin It Reel is what they should aim for. They're almost there.

On a side note ... make Alex write more. He's pretty good at it.