• 108 results
#51 Posted by SweeneyTodd (24 posts) -

Personally, I've been pretty psyched about the wrestling podcast -- but then, I am here for the guys, not gaming or anything else really.

#52 Posted by Waffles13 (607 posts) -

I don't give a shit about Dota but in my opinion the worst thing they did was turn Daily Dota into a weekly show. More than an hour of video content a five days a week that required little to no preparation or man hours on the part of the rest of the team? Yes please. Also, Brad is finally passionate about a goddamn video game for once; just let him have this one thing.

I double don't give a shit about wrestling, but the Power Bombcast is still fun to listen to, and even though I think Rorie is painfully difficult to listen to in a podcast format (good dude, just not great at articulating anything on the spot), the movie podcast is good too.

The site is rapidly changing to something that isn't 100% video game focused any more. That may be a negative to you, and that's your prerogative, but if all I want is gaming content I can go to effectively any other website on the internet for that; I come here for the people, and if they can put out more content based around things that they are passionate about instead of slumming it with a forced schedule of largely routine shows that had little excitement.

People bemoan the lack of TNT, but everyone seems to forget that for every Burnout Paradise or Dead Island, there would be three or four shitty FPS/fighting game/racing game TNTs where everyone seemed bored halfway through and the actual community interaction was somewhere between minimal and non-existent. There's a reason that that show started at 2 hours and then shrunk to a 45 minute show, and that's because it wasn't working and everyone was bored of it, even before shit went down with Ryan. Unprofessional Fridays is a superior show in every way, and that's why we get 2+ hour shows that are super fun and varied and don't constantly get cut short.

#53 Posted by Yesiamaduck (905 posts) -

I never really enjoyed TNT, far too often it would just fall into two guys staring at the screen playing competetivly but neither showing any genuine expression or anything like that.... then the other guys would contribute little snippits but more often then not it was just 2 guys playing in silence with the odd (and often awkward) conversation tid bit thrown in. The were a couple of exceptions of course (the quiz game they played shortly before Ryans passing is one of the best premium features I have seen on the site for example) but more often than not they would select games that no one was really 'into' in the room.... or at least that's how it felt.

I for one miss 'Professional Wednesdays' it was a bit so-so at first but the final 2 episodes it had really hit it's stride but then it just stopped and I did a sad face :( I liked the idea of a quick fire show with lots of different (and new) games from all platforms done weekly... but sadly it went bye bye

#54 Posted by chilibean_3 (1622 posts) -

Eh, if you don't enjoy the premium content then you probably don't have a reason to pay for it. I'm with you in not really caring about a lot of the new premium features but I still enjoy Fridays, the irregular features and random streams. That's not to say the new regular features being put out aren't great, just not for me.

They say they are going to fill out the premium schedule a bit but you can't really count on that happening any time soon or you even really enjoying it.

For me, it's still worth it. Hell, I bought in the first day just because I wanted to support the site though so I guess it will take some real hits for me to unsubscribe.

#55 Posted by Drekly (154 posts) -

I agree completely. Premium content isn't as good and as much as I like Alex and Patrick, they aren't why I come here.

I love Giantbomb for Jeff, Vinny and Brad, I love their chemistry (and loved it more when good ol' Ryan was around).

TNT may have been stupid, sloppy and sometimes little to nothing happened, but for someone like me it was like hanging with old friends, you just don't care what happens, you're just chilling with some guys you've 'known' for years.

#57 Edited by Grim_Wreeper (23 posts) -

@yesiamaduck I completely agree with you that TNT wasn't a fantastic show, I mention it more in the vein that it was a recurring show with the guys from the office, exactly what I'd like to see more of. It was Ryan's show and I know that's why they're not doing it any more (super special thanks to @metalgearsunny for reminding us all again). And the quiz game they were playing is "You Don't Know Jack" and yes, it was one of the better ones. The best on IMHO.

@drekly Yup, it's all about the chemistry. I need more of it. Gimme that sweet blue pure stuff, I'm not attached to my teeth.

#58 Posted by Sammo21 (3212 posts) -

I have noticed a change, but it has been mixed for me. The only thing I didn't care for the massive upswing in DOTA content on both the Bombcast (where for a while it felt as if it was forced to be in every podcast for some given amount of time) and then the video content on the site. Ryan's passing definitely hit the site hard but hopefully they can maybe hire one more person so we can get some more regular video content going. I wouldn't say I am unhappy with the website but I will say I have noticed a change and its been on my mind. Right now my yearly membership is set to run out in 3-4 days and there is no big live show to promote subscriptions and no sales or promotions for it either...so it makes me wonder why with CBSi and advertisements on the podcast there needs to be a membership at all. I don't know. I will probably still reup my membership but it doesn't feel as if it is necessary for the site to have them anymore. Just my two cents.

#59 Edited by GaspoweR (2811 posts) -

@grim_wreeper: I think the loss of Ryan is pretty much the biggest sticking point here. We'll have to let the guys be able to figure that out in time since I know Jeff and co. has probably been doing double duty or if not doing more work behind the scenes since Ryan's passing. Remember that Ryan pretty much did the least write-ups out of everyone on the staff but was in a lot of the video content and during the memorial bombcast, Jeff mentioned that Ryan was also responsible for taking care some of the back end support stuff that he also did back in the Gamespot days.

I do personally enjoy Daily DOTA and I do know that it's not for everyone but I think TNT was deliberately put into hiatus since that was probably the show that the staff felt would have only worked with Ryan around plus they probably could only afford to do a live studio show only once a week in UF considering that they are down one video member and I remember one of the staff mentioning that they are not actively looking to add more people to the staff.

#60 Posted by billymagnum (725 posts) -

the endurance runs for deadly premonition are responsible for me becoming a subscriber and not just a "pre-gamespot-fallout-jeff-ryan-brad-alex-fan-so-sometimes-i-go-to-giantbomb" lurker. then i got heavily into quick looks and since i had almost watch every single one, i knew i needed more content so i had to sign up. sure a lot has change in my short time as a member. some things i can do without, some i can't. i think they need to figure out how to get Patrick in on things like via skype or something. the stuff on his own just makes me miss when they were all together....

things i like:

Long Length QLs

Classic/retro game playthroughs

Endurance Runs

Upro-Fridays

TNTs

things i dont really like:

Really Quick QLs

SOLO anything i.e. QLs/Worth Playing/Spookin'/Etc.

Daily Dota

Podcasts

#61 Posted by GaspoweR (2811 posts) -

@pandabear: He's actually been writing and uploading a lot of videos plus he's doing other content for CBSi as well (TV.com and Gamespot) so he's already doing a lot on his own. Even Guns of Navarro was put on hold ever since Ryan's passing since he himself admits that he's been having trouble writing stuff outside the usual preview/news articles.

#63 Posted by The_Nubster (2052 posts) -

@metalgearsunny: We're not. Several people have pointed it out as the end of TNT. Can you not be so disrespectful about it?

#64 Posted by Ghostface318 (94 posts) -

People might also want to consider that in addition to video staff being limited, they are still probably short on video gear after having it stolen at E3, so the ability to have many things going on at once is limited.

#65 Posted by JZ (2125 posts) -

Only thing I'd wish they'd is bring back the wednesday show.

#66 Posted by RenegadeDoppelganger (406 posts) -

Personally I wouldn't give up Unprof. Fridays simply to spite the other features. If you feel like supporting the site and getting UF every week in return is worth it, cool. If not I wouldn't hold out for any of the features to change for your liking, most of us are pretty pleased with the diversity of new premium content on the site.

#67 Edited by UltimAXE (371 posts) -

I've always been a premium member just because I like supporting the site and, even if I sometimes get more enjoyment out of their free stuff than their paid stuff, the entertainment that the site has provided me over the years is worth a measly 50 bucks a year. The content has indeed become thinner, but I don't really mind. TNT's absence is no surprise since, being the end of a console cycle, there aren't really a whole lot of new multiplayer games coming out.

I do find it amusing, however, that these guys play video games for a living. All they really have to do is play video games in the office, talk over it, maybe stream it live, and archive it. That's literally all that people really want from them, but sometimes the crew comes off as unwilling to produce that content when asked about it. God forbid you ask someone about a new endurance run.

#68 Posted by theveej (812 posts) -

Each one of have our own utility from this site, for me there is a lot of premium content that I enjoy and my subscription is justified. But I can feel where you are coming from.

Also shout out to Patrick for being MVP and a baller

#69 Posted by Bocam (3672 posts) -

CAN WE PLEASE STOP ACTING LIKE RYAN DAVIS DIDN'T FUCKING DIE

Can you not act like an asshole?

#70 Posted by JazGalaxy (1576 posts) -

It never really occurred to me that someone might WATCH Scoops and The Wolf. I listen to it just like it's a regular podcast. I imagine it would probably be really awkward to watch.

#71 Posted by rasko_the_brave (86 posts) -

Maybe 'the Man' is just bringing them down. Jeff seems to always be in meetings.

#72 Edited by Wrighteous86 (3745 posts) -

Meh, I don't miss most of the missing features you mentioned.

I didn't like the Wednesday or Thursday shows.

#73 Edited by warxsnake (2638 posts) -

Need more random PC game.... thats all i need to justify paying for this site

#74 Posted by wjb (1638 posts) -

TNT became pointless once UF started. It was a great idea at first, but the original conceit was purely dependent on new release multiplayer games or modes. Once that idea fell through, Ryan tried his hardest to come up with themes every week, but it was just another "hey, let's sit down and play random games because I dunno?" shows.

I didn't mind TNT -- there were some great moments, even until the end -- but I don't miss it. Unless there's a special stream like the Neo Geo show or when the new consoles come out, I'd rather it just be UF every week and let them try (or bring back) other concepts.

#75 Posted by rempresent (98 posts) -

I was thinking about this the other day. What if Giant Bomb did more to boost the community's contribution to GB? Meaning, what if Jeff/Brad/Vinny/Patrick/Drew/Alex look to the community to support them in what coverage they run? For example, everyone is dying for a Vinny Dark Souls Endurance Run or Daily Dark Souls, why doesn't someone just do it themselves and try to get the proper promotion through the site. I really enjoy the Community Spotlight but what if we were given a little bit more control and get the proper support through the community?

I would get way into someone like Crispy (on the Daily Dota) going through each character on Dota 2 and explaining what the most popular tactics/builds are. Then if we get those videos promoted through the site and become a permanent addition to the wiki. Same with Kessler's MMO focus.

#76 Posted by CornBREDX (4821 posts) -

No one will miss you when you leave.

#77 Posted by Roulette1986 (30 posts) -

I generally have had exactly the same feelings, although I'm not planning on unsubbing any time soon - without a doubt it a resourcing thing, and one that they have to be very careful about solving. Whoever comes in will be classed as 'Ryans replacement' no matter how much its rebadged as something else by the staff, and that is a MASSIVE deal for both the team and the new guy for a whole host of obvious reasons. Fortunately I'm not in the horrible position whereby I have to find a replacement for one of my colleagues and/or best friends, but if I were I would be very careful and take my time, and not make a decision until it felt absolutely right. And lets be honest, how many of you can name, right now, who that person should be? I certainly can't.

The best way forwards at this point is to find a comfortable place and build from there, especially with a double console launch coming soon.

#78 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

@bocam: @the_nubster: I think the fact that this thread exists is absolutely ridiculous and I feel the idea of complaining about less content with a site that is now understaffed due to tragic consequences is ultimately the most disrespectful thing about this.

#79 Edited by thatdutchguy (1271 posts) -

I don't know man, it's just Jeff , Vinny , Brad , Drew now , i'm just glad they are still putting their heart and soul into this website.

Don't know if i could do the same if i was Jeff,He's a strong dude.

#80 Posted by Grim_Wreeper (23 posts) -

@billymagnum: Sir, you and I have the EXACT same taste in content.

I really enjoyed the Jar video posted by Jeff recently, hopefully he'll get back into the swing of doing them more frequently. It's Jeff I feel the worst for after the passing of Ryan, Jeff was left to pick up the pieces and is essentially doing a 2 man job at the moment.

#81 Posted by zedman (79 posts) -

Well i for one respect the hell out of the guys right now, they are doing a bang up job in a difficult time.

Things change man, its life and life's a bitch.

#82 Edited by ToTheNines (655 posts) -

I became a premium member to watch random pc game. Which was fucking hilarious. Also to support the site of course. Other than that I only really enjoy the unprofessional fridays and Jeffs jar thing. So lately I have been a little disappointed, I am not surprised how much I miss Dave's content. But they can play hilarious pc games without him, the whole bioforge thing I enjoyed immensely, that Danny character is a funny guy, ashame he went back to europe.

also pleeeeeeeeeeease for the love of god do another Endurance Run Jeff and Vinny =/

HOWEVER, I know things have been rough lately for them and its been a beyond shitty year, so in my mind they can do whatever and I will still support!

#83 Posted by Counterclockwork87 (607 posts) -

@bocam: @the_nubster: I think the fact that this thread exists is absolutely ridiculous and I feel the idea of complaining about less content with a site that is now understaffed due to tragic consequences is ultimately the most disrespectful thing about this.

I love Ryan as much as anyone but someone's allowed to complain about content they pay a subscription for, despite ANY circumstance. If the head honcho at VERIZON passed away and cell phone service was slow for a few days there'd be thousands of people complaining and it would be within their right. Not that that would happen, but you know what I mean.

#84 Posted by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

@metalgearsunny said:

I love Ryan as much as anyone but someone's allowed to complain about content they pay a subscription for, despite ANY circumstance. If the head honcho at VERIZON passed away and cell phone service was slow for a few days there'd be thousands of people complaining and it would be within their right. Not that that would happen, but you know what I mean.

It's not like the site went down when Ryan passed away. They still do just about as much premium features as they did before. TNT wasn't even a premium feature and the archive was always found on Twitch. Unprofessional Fridays is just as good as it has been. If you don't like that or the other stuff, though, I get it. But don't make it seem like they're not doing great and creating solid content given the circumstances.

#85 Edited by Johnny_Sailor (12 posts) -

I'm not an ad clicker. I don't block them, but I don't even notice them anymore. I've been so inundated with them that my brain has just been trained to not see them.

Being a premium member is my way of paying for the general site. I do enjoy some of the premium content, but really $50 a year is worth it just for the podcast alone.

I have no problem paying $60 for a game that I'll play for 10 hours or so, so $50 for ~150 hours of podcasts and all the crazy videos and articles is a no-brainer for me.

#86 Posted by PandaBear (1308 posts) -

This isn't me joking or trying to be edgy or something, I want you to know that you are a truly awful person. Not just some internet troll level shit, you are a fundamentally bad and selfish person. Show some respect.

#87 Edited by MetalGearSunny (6987 posts) -

@pandabear said:

@metalgearsunny said:

This isn't me joking or trying to be edgy or something, I want you to know that you are a truly awful person. Not just some internet troll level shit, you are a fundamentally bad and selfish person. Show some respect.

Getting angry at people in a thread about complaining about less premium content because Ryan Davis passed away.

Yeah, I'm selfish.

#88 Posted by Rave (370 posts) -

I am finally going to let my sub lapse. I feel the video content isn't appealing to me as much as it used to. Some of the content feels like I am watching a YouTube lets play or something.

It sucks for the loses the site has endured this year but honestly I feel like the guys maybe are losing the enthusiasm for this and it shows in the work.

I still really enjoy when Vinny does videos (GTA and darksouls have been fantastic) an Drew and Matt being in more content is amazing.

I'm hoping when the new consoles come out it brings the excitement back around here but right now it just feels gone.

#89 Posted by HeartbreakRidge (25 posts) -

On a related topic, I've poked around and I can't find any information whether (or not) there will be a Big Live Live Show this year and/or a new t-shirt? My subscription renweed and I was just wondering about both points.

#90 Posted by FunkyS (100 posts) -

Don't know about the new T-Shirt but Jeff said on Tumblr that there'll be no BLLS this year.

#91 Posted by HeartbreakRidge (25 posts) -

Ok thanks. I wanted to know if there's a new t-shirt (especially if it's a @taswell shirt) before I use my sub code on something (not that I'm in a hurry, I suppose).

#92 Posted by yoshisaur (2661 posts) -

I don't know, I think the site has progressed rapidly lately. With Patrick moving out to Chicago, we have gotten a lot of great stuff from him. I wish Alex and Jeff, even Patrick, would kick it up a notch with the Bomastica stuff, though. Other than that, I never really enjoyed Thursday Night Throwdown. It was a structured Unprofessional Fridays, and was limited mostly by what was being released that week. Some of the best content on the site is the stuff the staff solo's/partners with, like Dark Souls, or Spookin' with Scoops.

#93 Posted by vikingdeath1 (930 posts) -

I don't believe in change, everything has been the same since the 90s. I'm not leaving Friendster for Myspace no matter How good it is.

but do as you will. Everyone has their own beliefs.

#94 Edited by The_Vein (270 posts) -

My sub is worth is just for this upcoming Giant Bomb Unplugged: Pathfinder thing. If they make a weekly show of the GB dudes playing Pathfinder or other tabletop/board games I'll be a happy camper.

#95 Posted by Fistfulofmetal (678 posts) -

Looking at this weeks content, I don't know how any can complain about premium content.

#96 Posted by Killercombo (218 posts) -
#97 Posted by Ares42 (2581 posts) -

The really weird thing is that the site is turning more and more towards things they've made fun of and rejected in the past. I guess business is business and they gotta do what they gotta do, but it's still sorta strange when juxtaposed to what GB used to be.

#98 Posted by Sharpless (458 posts) -

The only thing I miss is Thursday Night Throwdown. I understand why they haven't been doing it, but I never really thought of it as specifically Ryan's show (though, he was certainly the most perfect host for TNT, as well as for the Bombcast) so I can't help but still wish for its return. Maybe changing the name and/or the night of the event would make it more palatable? Either way, it's not an issue I would want to press; they have to do what they feel is best.

#99 Posted by benpicko (2000 posts) -

@metalgearsunny said:

u wot m8

#100 Posted by Grim_Wreeper (23 posts) -

Looking at this weeks content, I don't know how any can complain about premium content.

I agree that this weeks content does seem like it's going to be great! When I posted this originally, premium vids were few and far between, most of them coming from Patrick. I'm happy with this weeks content, long may it continue!