• 56 results
#1 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

This thread will serve as a design document for my idea for a 2D Sonic, which I am here to share with the world

I want to hear your thoughts/critique on this, and to add ideas. (also if someone wants to make this game for me, please lmk)

here's page 1 of my idea

the full plans for the idea is not finished yet, I'm still in the process of making them. About 50% complete.

p.s. if someone from Sega is reading this, it's ok to go ahead and use this idea, I'll let you

#2 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I can't tell if this is satire or just dumb.

#3 Posted by grayfox1210 (200 posts) -

Pushing Right: The Video Game.

#4 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

sounds legit to me.

I don't like the fact that you can go left though

#5 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

page 2 of my serious game idea for a 2D Sonic that jumps for you:

#6 Posted by TooWalrus (13257 posts) -

@Video_Game_King said:

I can't tell if this is satire or just dumb.

Dumb satire.

#7 Posted by blueinferno (458 posts) -

@grayfox1210 said:

And if you're feeling really dangerous, pushing left.

#8 Posted by buft (3320 posts) -

@blueinferno said:

@grayfox1210 said:

thats how you find the games one secret.

#9 Posted by Sanity (1951 posts) -

So you would only control starting and stopping? It be a racing game more or less.

#10 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

page 3 of my obviously brilliant game idea

#11 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2030 posts) -

@Animasta: Yeah, you should only be able to go one way. Then the plot twist would be that YOU WERE GOING THE OTHER WAY THE WHOLE TIME!

#12 Posted by blueinferno (458 posts) -

@egg said:

page 3 of my obviously brilliant game idea

Holy...shit

#13 Posted by Animasta (14727 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus said:

@Animasta: Yeah, you should only be able to go one way. Then the plot twist would be that YOU WERE GOING THE OTHER WAY THE WHOLE TIME!

whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat

#14 Posted by GunstarRed (5478 posts) -

I don't understand. I'm gonna cry.

#15 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

page 4 of my game idea which the world is not quite ready for

#16 Posted by ShaggE (6715 posts) -

What... what if you've gotta go fast?

#17 Posted by Apparatus_Unearth (3245 posts) -

@blueinferno said:

@grayfox1210 said:

NO YOU DON'T EVER FUCKING DO THAT. It's like crossing the streams.

#18 Posted by Sinusoidal (1810 posts) -

I'm seeing the makings of an OK Flash game here.

#19 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

page 5 of my idea which gets better the more you think about it

#20 Edited by Sanity (1951 posts) -

@egg: Its starting to seem like a Bit.Trip.Runner game. Granted those games do the running for you, but still its not far off from it.

#21 Posted by oraknabo (1514 posts) -

How about NO CONTROLLER AT ALL?

#22 Posted by TruthTellah (9478 posts) -

@dudy80: Woah. That's it.

A Bit.trip.runner-like Sonic game. That could actually be great. Having the Sonic style but with that growing sense of flow and speed as you run and jump forward.

#23 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

Last one for now

An example of how classic Sonic titles can actually be retrofitted with this stunningly revolutionary idea:

The scary thing is just how few of these jump pads (represented as yellow rectangles) it took to make the entire stage functional. This truly is the final destination.

More on this idea still to come.

(edit: ok the image is slightly wrong.. if I look carefully, I missed a spot where a jump pad is needed. But the image is 99 percent correct, it's only that one spot I missed.)

#24 Posted by Pudge (923 posts) -

Question: If you had Sonic 3 in the expansion slot, would you get to play as Knuckles equipped with a pair of Auto-Climbing Gloves? Also, would Tails's tails be replaced with a VTOL system?

#25 Posted by Sanity (1951 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

A Bit.trip.runner-like Sonic game. That could actually be great. Having the Sonic style but with that growing sense of flow and speed as you run and jump forward.

Yea, i think that would be great with all the crazy ass sonic tunnels and ways you could mix levels up. Thing is its not enough for a 50$ game unless they REALLY fleshed it out.

#26 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2295 posts) -

Just rip off Sonic the Hedgehog 2 and Sega will have its true Sonic game, rip it off down to the 16 bit graphics and music too.

#27 Posted by deathstriker666 (1337 posts) -

Where's the Sonic game I can control with my cock?

#28 Posted by PandaBear (1384 posts) -

I'm on the stupid side of Giant Bomb again.

Here's an idea - hack a ROM and make the game.

#29 Posted by TruthTellah (9478 posts) -

@dudy80 said:

@TruthTellah said:

Yea, i think that would be great with all the crazy ass sonic tunnels and ways you could mix levels up. Thing is its not enough for a 50$ game unless they REALLY fleshed it out.

It wouldn't need to be a $50 game. It could just be a $15 game. Heck, they could even release a phone and tablet version. With the style of Sonic and the clutch gameplay of Bit.trip.Runner, it could be quite impressive.

#30 Posted by TruthTellah (9478 posts) -

Clearly, the real answer is a Sonic that does everything -but- jump for you.

#31 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

more

btw why does Giant Bomb's uploader stall half the time

p.s. if you want to see more, someone will have to start sending me checks

#32 Posted by Godzilla_Sushi (1085 posts) -

I want to shit on your idea, but you had me after all the images! My only question is, to the enemies and bosses even have a role when you've taken away the strategy to fight them......

#33 Posted by Daneian (1251 posts) -

@egg said:

Are you trying to tell me that their auto jump feature is capable of missing! AHHH!!!!

#34 Posted by Blimble (300 posts) -

i can't really be bothered pressing right though, or left that would be even worse

#35 Posted by TheHBK (5563 posts) -

You should just do Track IR support, all you have to do is look right.

#36 Posted by august (3866 posts) -

COPYRIGHT THIS SHIT, DOG

#37 Posted by Toxin066 (3329 posts) -

This is actually quite mind blowing.

#38 Posted by Bishna (334 posts) -

Great, you just designed the next IOS Sonic game for them. Honestly, this would be an improvement over most IOS games coming from big publishers.

Unless they made you pay to unlock jump pads.

#39 Posted by Killerfridge (316 posts) -

Can I like, pay you money for this stuff?

#40 Posted by GunstarRed (5478 posts) -

There's already that Sonic game where the only thing he can do is jump and go right. I'm still not sold on this jump pad idea.

Totally unrelated to this, according to Empire magazine Willem Dafoe's favourite game is Sonic the Hedgehog.

#41 Posted by Ravenlight (8011 posts) -

@TruthTellah said:

@dudy80 said:

@TruthTellah said:

It wouldn't need to be a $50 game. It could just be a $15 game. Heck, they could even release a phone and tablet version. With the style of Sonic and the clutch gameplay of Bit.trip.Runner, it could be quite impressive.

Yo, what's up with the Bit.trip games? Are they fun in some way I've overlooked? After about three hours spread across Beat and Runner, I was unable to figure out why anybody would enjoy these games.

#42 Posted by ajamafalous (12161 posts) -

Link to your kickstarter please

#43 Posted by project343 (2838 posts) -

I really like this thread. It has a solid narrative going.

#44 Edited by egg (1469 posts) -

This the almost the end of the design document. There's just one more aspect of the game that I haven't covered yet. It will address Godzilla_Sushi's question.

#45 Edited by super2j (1798 posts) -

if you want to this to get to a new level may i suggest colour coded jumps, so you could change sonic's colour so if he is red then a blue or yellow jump pad wont work. I suggest that the number of colours should be 2 or 3 to keep it simple.

#46 Posted by punkxblaze (2990 posts) -

I thought this started as a joke and now it's sort of a compelling concept I would actually play.

#47 Posted by Hailinel (25205 posts) -

@deathstriker666 said:

Where's the Sonic game I can control with my cock?

Go to fanfiction.net and do a search for either "Amy Rose" or "Tails".

#48 Posted by MysteriousBob (6272 posts) -

Hate to break it to you, but Dimps have been making this type of Sonic game for over a decade now.

#49 Posted by Levio (1786 posts) -

@super2j said:

if you want to this to get to a new level may i suggest colour coded jumps, so you could change sonic's colour so if he is red then a blue or yellow jump pad wont work. I suggest that the number of colours should be 2 or 3 to keep it simple.

How about this: Instead of having to go find some in-game mechanic to change your color, you can rotate your color at-will just by shaking the controller or maybe speaking into its microphone.

#50 Posted by super2j (1798 posts) -

@Levio said:

@super2j said:

How about this: Instead of having to go find some in-game mechanic to change your color, you can rotate your color at-will just by shaking the controller or maybe speaking into its microphone.

sorry, i do not think that is a good idea, but many ideas can seem dumb until the right person gets their hand on it. Its up to you to make it compelling, convince us why the microphone or shake are cool.