#1 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

#2 Posted by ImmortalSaiyan (4690 posts) -

Both.

#3 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

So Giantbomb not withstanding indie titles, in particular Journey and Walking Dead, have been winning GOTY this year. Now the dudders who run Giantbomb seem to believe that this year more than any other finally sees indie games standing shoulder with their AAA counterparts. While part of me would like to believe that the more cynical part of me believes that this year just saw a drop in quality among the AAA games. Mass Effect 3 disappointed, Assassin's Creed 3 disappointed, COD for all its grand talk of doing new things still is pretty much the same and a whole host of other games the similarly just didn't live up to expectations. So do you guys see this, the year of the indie, being a the start of more to come or just a byproduct of the end of generation stagnation that has effected the best games?

#4 Posted by MocBucket62 (1247 posts) -

I'd say both too. The Indies showed who was boss this year, but with exceptions like XCOM, it didn't feel like the AAA games had a very strong lineup to compete with the Indie lineup of games.

#5 Posted by Bollard (5666 posts) -

It was a pretty poor year.

#6 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

@mikey87144: How was Journey, a game published by Sony, an indie game?

#7 Posted by mikey87144 (1797 posts) -

@BeachThunder said:

Indie in Spirit. I'm not getting into that argument of what makes an indie game an indie game.

#8 Posted by AlexW00d (6308 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@BeachThunder said:

Indie in Spirit. I'm not getting into that argument of what makes an indie game an indie game.

Journey isn't indie at all.

#9 Posted by BeachThunder (12096 posts) -

@mikey87144 said:

@BeachThunder said:

There's no argument - indie: short for independent of a publisher. Journey is as indie as LittleBigPlanet, which is to say, it is not.

#10 Posted by Bane122 (801 posts) -

I think the word indie is being confused with something along the lines of download title. Fez and Journey were not indie games, and I'm not sure The Walking Dead is one, either.

As for the poll, I'd go more with strong indie games based on things like FTL, McPixel, and Hotline Miami. Yeah, there were some disappointments this year in the AAA area but there were still many good games. Farcry 3, Halo 4, Forza Horizons, Diablo 3, New Mario Bros., Sleeping Dogs, etc.

People are letting the few disappointments paint their overall thoughts on the year's AAA offerings.

#11 Posted by Lagaroth (171 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

Anyways, I voted weak year for AAA.

#12 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2259 posts) -

There definitely has been a larger emphasis this year on the quality of small downloadable games and episodic content than AAA games. Perhaps it's because we are now starting to see those fantastic indie titles that featured at numerous PAX events finally get released this year where is because this year is more of transitional year many AAA development would've switched focus on next gen.

#13 Posted by charlie_victor_bravo (1047 posts) -

@AlexW00d said:

@mikey87144 said:

@BeachThunder said:

Small game does not indie make.

#14 Posted by Milkman (17034 posts) -

Both?

#15 Posted by Clonedzero (4200 posts) -

im gonna say it was a weak year all around. there was a bunch of great stuff, walking dead, xcom, ect. but it wasn't huge.

#16 Posted by Captain_Felafel (1576 posts) -

Both. It was a stronger year for indie games than previous years, and this year's AAA offerings were all, with few exceptions, not without their faults.

#17 Posted by MikkaQ (10318 posts) -

Seems like a little of both to me. Though I wouldn't call the big budget games weak so much as underwhelming. A very middle-of-the-road year for games, which is fine considering where we're at in the gen.

#18 Posted by Fearbeard (834 posts) -

Definitely both... nether one of those answers has to be exclusive.

There was a lot of hype for some of the triple A games and some had trouble living up to it. There was still a lot to love but most games had certain caveats with them. One the other hand there were a lot of smaller titles that knocked it out of the park.

#19 Posted by adubashi (10 posts) -

Bad year for AAA. Only two AAA universally acclaimed games came out this year, Far Cry 3 and X-Com.

#20 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

I'm going to say both, but I think we have have to keep this all in context. Even if we may have gotten better out of the AAA industry in previous years, it's still amazing what the games industry has been able to produce over the past year.

#21 Posted by Pie (7109 posts) -

@Bane122 said:

I think the word indie is being confused with something along the lines of download title. Fez and Journey were not indie games, and I'm not sure The Walking Dead is one, either.

As for the poll, I'd go more with strong indie games based on things like FTL, McPixel, and Hotline Miami. Yeah, there were some disappointments this year in the AAA area but there were still many good games. Farcry 3, Halo 4, Forza Horizons, Diablo 3, New Mario Bros., Sleeping Dogs, etc.

People are letting the few disappointments paint their overall thoughts on the year's AAA offerings.

I don't know but I was kind of disappointed in all the AAA games you listed that I had played

#22 Posted by Crash_Happy (724 posts) -

@ImmortalSaiyan said:

Both.

This exactly. We've some good games coming over the next few months which should help but after that, new consoles ahoy!