This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Shaka999 (475 posts) -

I'm stealing this from reddit (Credit to tonyp1212), but I thought it was interesting so I wanted to post it here. I mean, think about it Giant Bomb: the general consensus around the "core" gamers (or whatever you want to call yourselves) is that we can't stand little kids, super stoners (the types who brag about their weed habits), and total dudebros that ruin the experience of just trying to play the game. Most of us (keyword: most) don't have high opinions of Call of Duty either. Yet all of these things are gathered into one place where we could all happily avoid it, yet we call out activision for being the bad guys. On top of that, they haven't chewed up and spat out <insert company name here> like EA has.

So while Bobby Kotick is an evil little bastard, in weird way, it's sort of a necessary evil. Just wanted to see what the community thoughts are.

EDIT: Link to the original image just in case it's difficult to read

EDIT 2: I really don't mean to offend anyone, apologies if I did

#2 Edited by Godlyawesomeguy (6398 posts) -
A sub-section of 4chan made a good point

Get out of town........

EDIT: Also, no. I play mainly single player games so your point is now moot.

#3 Posted by doobie (605 posts) -

that poor dead horse

#4 Posted by TobbRobb (4639 posts) -

It doesn't seem to be working. I meet more then my fair share of fuckwads online in other games.

And "not destroying things even though we could" is a pretty damn weak argument when trying to look good. I mean, that's just normal, only evil people pull shit like that.

#5 Posted by Shaka999 (475 posts) -

for the record, i have nothing to do with this. I would've just put "I found this interesting, I wanted to see what you guys think" in the first post, but I felt that would've warranted moderation.

#6 Posted by BraveToaster (12590 posts) -

That's not a good point at all, considering that shitty people aren't exclusive to Call of Duty or FPS in general.

#7 Edited by TheDudeOfGaming (6078 posts) -

I play mostly single player, a little multi here and there, so it wouldn't really bother me if CoD died down. But lets face it, as bad as the duderbros, the super stoners, and little kids are there are a lot of people out there who are gamers and are possibly worse than the aforementioned groups. The people I'm talking about belong to the asshole group (to which I belong, from time to time), and you have it on virtually every single online community regardless of what it's about.

The real question here my friends, was that really Kotick that posted that on 4-chan?

#8 Posted by Mixwizzard (83 posts) -

I think this should be a rule:

Don't mix reddit and 4chan. But, that is a good point.

#9 Posted by familyphotoshoot (653 posts) -

>/v/

>discussing video games

Haha, good one.

#10 Posted by TehBuLL (609 posts) -

The main problem is mankind...

#11 Posted by iAmJohn (6119 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

That's not a good point at all, considering that shitty people aren't exclusive to Call of Duty or FPS in general.

#12 Posted by AndrewB (7609 posts) -

And yet, I kinda quit playing Counter-Strike because of the asshole players. It's obviously not drawing in enough of them. So now I'll go back to /d instead.

#13 Posted by believer258 (11894 posts) -

I hate to break it to you but a lot of so-called "core gamers" are just as bad, if not worse than dudebros, stoners, or 13-year olds.

I don't have a problem with CoD but it isn't "separating the scum from the people" or anything stupid like that. It's just another video game that happens to be really popular.

#14 Posted by Zacagawea (1593 posts) -

There is no way OP is a day older than 15

#15 Posted by scarace360 (4828 posts) -

@Zacagawea said:

There is no way OP is a day older than 15

I bet hes 13.

#16 Posted by Shaka999 (475 posts) -

@Zacagawea: I mean, I said that I had nothing to do with the picture, but if you want to call me out go for it.

#17 Posted by BaneFireLord (2933 posts) -
@Godlyawesomeguy said: 

Also, no. I play mainly single player games so your point is now moot.

Online
#18 Posted by BlastProcessing (917 posts) -

OP surfs reddit, confirmed not credible source.

#19 Posted by Lunar_Aura (2779 posts) -

next will be the GameSpot thread "Copied from GiantBomb: A sub-section of 4chan made a good point about CoD (from reddit)"

#20 Posted by ArtelinaRose (1850 posts) -

@familyphotoshoot said:

>/v/

>discussing video games

Haha, good one.

yup

Online
#21 Posted by Shaka999 (475 posts) -

@Lunar_Aura: I really hope not >_>

Anyways guys, I'm sorry if I offended you, that really wasn't my intention. I thought it was mildly funny, didn't think that anyone would take offense, and I thought there'd be some light-hearted discussion. Nothing more. Again, my apologies.

#22 Posted by Hunter5024 (5667 posts) -

@Shaka999 said:

On top of that, they haven't chewed up and spat out <insert company name here> like EA has.

Well that's sure not true. Look at Neversoft. Not only that but they run franchises into the ground and then kill them too.

#23 Posted by Vonocourt (2130 posts) -

Because "core gamers" are mutually exclusive from thirteen year olds and stoners? I think those demographics tend to overlap a bit.

#24 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8698 posts) -

Nonsense.
 
Even if CoD or Fifa wouldn't be out there for the 'casuals' to play I'm quite sure most of those types have no interest in all in "the more advanced" games.
They want quick, fun action.

#25 Posted by MordeaniisChaos (5730 posts) -

@BraveToaster said:

That's not a good point at all, considering that shitty people aren't exclusive to Call of Duty or FPS in general.

Yeah, pretty much.

#26 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

I find it highly discouraging that you felt the need to hide the possible validity of 4chan's opinion behind 2 other layers before presenting it to this community, and got ripped on regardless of your efforts.

On topic though, what CoD did (along with a couple other games) is push expectations for video game sales through the roof. Now if a game doesn't sell at least 2-3 million copies, it's a fucking failure. I, personally, find that to be a bad thing.

#27 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

pretty cool, i think that there are going to be people who are assholes that play other games. /v/ is great sometimes.

#28 Posted by Oldirtybearon (4796 posts) -

@AyKay_47 said:

I find it highly discouraging that you felt the need to hide the possible validity of 4chan's opinion behind 2 other layers before presenting it to this community, and got ripped on regardless of your efforts.

On topic though, what CoD did (along with a couple other games) is push expectations for video game sales through the roof. Now if a game doesn't sell at least 2-3 million copies, it's a fucking failure. I, personally, find that to be a bad thing.

That has little to do with the billions in business CoD does every year, and more based on the insane budgets these games are made with. While in truth a 40 million dollar game would only have to sell around 700k units to break even, the truth is that the $59.99 you spend on a video game doesn't all go toward the publisher. It gets broken up into percentages between the publisher, developer, and of course distributor. There was a graphic floating around from an EA dev that broke down how much went where, so if someone could find that, that'd be swell.

The business of putting a disc in your hands isn't as simple as a lot of people think, it turns out.

#29 Edited by moywar700 (174 posts) -

anybody can become a core gamer, just like 13 year olds can become avid book readers.

#30 Posted by Gunslinger0130 (224 posts) -

I thought it was pretty funny, not sure why everyone's so up in arms about this guy reposting it. 
Thanks dude, I'll def pass this on.

#31 Posted by pornstorestiffi (4912 posts) -

Thanks for sharing, don't mind the rude people, they are just having their weekly menstrual crisis.

#33 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -
#34 Posted by Dylabaloo (1549 posts) -
@Shaka999: For each person that's getting antsy about this, there are people that enjoyed this, including me.
#35 Posted by peaty (6 posts) -

hurf durf cod is a bad game. And whats the deal with airline peanuts?

#36 Posted by Quarters (1696 posts) -

I don't understand why people can't let others just enjoy stuff like CoD. We play video games for fun. Some people(including myself) find CoD fun. Doesn't mean we're lesser for it, we just have different tastes. Gamers can have a real bad tendency to get elitist, and it's a pan in the butt.

#37 Posted by AhmadMetallic (18955 posts) -

Thanks for posting, kind of makes sense. Don't mind the robots who automatically bash 4chan and reddit.

#38 Posted by AyKay_47 (293 posts) -

@Oldirtybearon said:

@AyKay_47 said:

I find it highly discouraging that you felt the need to hide the possible validity of 4chan's opinion behind 2 other layers before presenting it to this community, and got ripped on regardless of your efforts.

On topic though, what CoD did (along with a couple other games) is push expectations for video game sales through the roof. Now if a game doesn't sell at least 2-3 million copies, it's a fucking failure. I, personally, find that to be a bad thing.

That has little to do with the billions in business CoD does every year, and more based on the insane budgets these games are made with. While in truth a 40 million dollar game would only have to sell around 700k units to break even, the truth is that the $59.99 you spend on a video game doesn't all go toward the publisher. It gets broken up into percentages between the publisher, developer, and of course distributor. There was a graphic floating around from an EA dev that broke down how much went where, so if someone could find that, that'd be swell.

The business of putting a disc in your hands isn't as simple as a lot of people think, it turns out.

I may have misrepresented the point I was trying to make. What I had in mind was more the following mentality: "CoD is selling like a motherfucker. Our game is selling a small fraction of that. Maybe we can sell more copies if we change our design philosophy a little bit to reflect that of CoD". Basically, Activision (again, along with a few others) showed the rest of the industry how real money gets made. For better or for worse, a lot of people are now trying to emulate it. I am of the opinion that that stifles a lot of creativity and outside the box thinking.

As to your point about budgets, I feel like I can still blame games/franchises like CoD for that, simply because they raise the bar for quality, whether it be graphical or mechanical or what have you. Once they raise that bar, people begin to expect that same level of quality from everyone else, and new ideas become more and more risky.

#39 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -
@AyKay_47: Going off the points that you've made I'm extremely interested too see what will happen with the next generation of consoles in regarding to the popular and extremely iterative nature of the Call of Duty franchise. I'm curious too see if we'll see new ideas like the ones that have been s impressive this generation ( the rise of the third person shooter as an example) or if major developers will continue to pursue that sweet Call of Duty level of money rather that trying to invent new ideas to bring gaming forward as an entertainment medium
#40 Posted by Jrinswand (1709 posts) -

NOPE. First of all, 4chan never makes a good point about anything. Second of all, there are shitty people in all games, especially TF2 and Tribes.

#41 Posted by hangedtoaster (156 posts) -

And adding more directly to the conversation at hand first off there will always be asshole's found in multiplayer lobbies on any platform the anonymity of being able to shout obscene things into a mic (or type them into a chat field) is far too tempting for the people that are willing to do it, CoD isn't in anyway protecting us from these people it just happens that a higher percentage of them are located in that community, it's the type of game that you don't need a high end pc to play. At this point access to CoD is restricted at most by a $250 console purchase and say $500 towards a fairly decent tv, not much of a barrier to entry

#42 Posted by zombie2011 (4972 posts) -

I've encountered way more assholes playing TF2 then i have playing all the COD games combined.

#43 Posted by Sploder (917 posts) -

But it doesn't stop me from hearing my little brother shout down his mic all day does it? Imma buy Warfighter so I can at least test drive a gun to know what kind of value I'm getting for my money when I buy one to shoot my brother with. John Riccitello saves older brothers from COD playing siblings.

#44 Posted by Azteck (7449 posts) -

@TobbRobb said:

It doesn't seem to be working. I meet more then my fair share of fuckwads online in other games.

And "not destroying things even though we could" is a pretty damn weak argument when trying to look good. I mean, that's just normal, only evil people pull shit like that.

Not to mention the fact that every game in the universe now attempts to be CoD which, again, means the picture in OP is wrong

#45 Posted by Extreme_Popcorn (842 posts) -

People who don't like COD sure do spend a fuck load of time talking about it.

#46 Posted by Dagbiker (6976 posts) -

@Quarters said:

I don't understand why people can't let others just enjoy stuff like CoD. We play video games for fun. Some people(including myself) find CoD fun. Doesn't mean we're lesser for it, we just have different tastes. Gamers can have a real bad tendency to get elitist, and it's a pan in the butt.

Its because, people are selfish by genetic design. They want games they want to play, and fear anything that threatens it. No human, nor animal is immune from selfishness.

#47 Edited by cyraxible (688 posts) -

Pretty sure I've seen that done on /v/ before.

People suck everywhere. CoD isn't "protecting" other multiplayer communities.

#48 Posted by Beforet (2921 posts) -

So instead of dealing with the kids and dudebros, I get to play with the asshat nerds who look down their noses on the "peasants?" The kind you find on /v/, Gamefaqs, and (apparently) Giant Bomb? Fantastic, I feel so thrilled.

Just like there are kids and frat boys that are totally pleasant and fun to play with, there are "core" players who are total shit heads.