• 51 results
Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

It’s my 21st birthday today and I’ve decided to do something a little different. I have 9 games and 1 game bundle to give away. For each of these games I have a question to be answered or a task to be performed. The first person to do so and post their Steam name will get the prize, although in the case of the bundle no Steam name is required, I’ll PM you what you need. It’s one game per person and usual forum policy applies so please don’t post here unless you want to talk about the giveaway or make your post to claim one of the games. Thanks.

Bastion

Winner: jyluth

Answer the following: Jeff wants to ride which Disney character?

Braid

Winner: mynthon

Answer the following: Ryan has ordered a special mask to attract what kind of bird?

Civilization V

Winner: NIGHTCRAWLER

Post the name of one of your favourite games and make an argument for why it’s so good.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Winner: Mastercheesey

Post a Giant Bomb haiku.

Eversion

Winner: Video_Game_King

I’m not going to set a question or task for this one, just ask for it and I’ll give it to you.

Humble Indie Bundle V (Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Limbo, Psychonauts, SuperBrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP)

Winner: SexyToad

Edit 5 wiki pages and post that you’ve done so.

Portal 2

Winner: Zacagawea

Draw and post a picture of GLaDOS (yes, you can use Paint).

Psychonauts

Winner: joemarch

Answer the following: What is the date Giant Bomb launched?

Saint’s Row The Third

Winner: BongChilla

Give me a convincing argument for why video games are awesome.

The Binding of Isaac

Winner: NoobSauceG7

Compliment another user.

I’ll be back in a while. Have fun duders.

-Gamer_152

#1 Edited by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

It’s my 21st birthday today and I’ve decided to do something a little different. I have 9 games and 1 game bundle to give away. For each of these games I have a question to be answered or a task to be performed. The first person to do so and post their Steam name will get the prize, although in the case of the bundle no Steam name is required, I’ll PM you what you need. It’s one game per person and usual forum policy applies so please don’t post here unless you want to talk about the giveaway or make your post to claim one of the games. Thanks.

Bastion

Winner: jyluth

Answer the following: Jeff wants to ride which Disney character?

Braid

Winner: mynthon

Answer the following: Ryan has ordered a special mask to attract what kind of bird?

Civilization V

Winner: NIGHTCRAWLER

Post the name of one of your favourite games and make an argument for why it’s so good.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Winner: Mastercheesey

Post a Giant Bomb haiku.

Eversion

Winner: Video_Game_King

I’m not going to set a question or task for this one, just ask for it and I’ll give it to you.

Humble Indie Bundle V (Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Limbo, Psychonauts, SuperBrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP)

Winner: SexyToad

Edit 5 wiki pages and post that you’ve done so.

Portal 2

Winner: Zacagawea

Draw and post a picture of GLaDOS (yes, you can use Paint).

Psychonauts

Winner: joemarch

Answer the following: What is the date Giant Bomb launched?

Saint’s Row The Third

Winner: BongChilla

Give me a convincing argument for why video games are awesome.

The Binding of Isaac

Winner: NoobSauceG7

Compliment another user.

-Gamer_152

#2 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

I'll go for Eversion, since it's the easiest one. Expect a later edit with a Giant Bomb haiku.

Look out that window.

Are those two pigeons fucking?

That's the bull pigeon.

And here's an edit with my Steam username. Same as here.

#3 Posted by JCTango (1361 posts) -

Happy birthday, gamer!

#4 Edited by Sweep (8844 posts) -

Compliment another user.

Pfft.

(Happy Birthday dude!)

#5 Posted by BongChilla (215 posts) -

Video games are awesome because they take you away from the daily routine enough to help you stay mostly sane.

Steam name: Iwcameron

Saints row the Third

#6 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: If you want Eversion you can have it, but it's one game per person. You can have Eversion or Deus Ex, not both.

#7 Edited by mynthon (52 posts) -

For Braid:

Hummingbird.

steamname: mynthi

Also, happy birthday!

#8 Edited by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

You can have Eversion or Deus Ex, not both.

I'll go with Eversion, since I can actually play it. Somebody else can totally use that haiku, though.

#9 Edited by Trace (3553 posts) -

Stealing a haiku.

Video Game King's offer

seems rather noble.

(and yeah, it's no GB haiku, but then again, I shouldn't be taking games)

#10 Posted by OwnlyUzinWonHan (1480 posts) -
@Gamer_152:  Bayonetta's such a good game because everything about it is just fun and being crazy. The combat system feels so good and responsive, the jokes in it are actually really funny, and the end credits of more gameplay actually feels like a reward and how crazy is that? A couple more minutes of gameplay is such a huge reward that I've gone back and replayed that game several, several times.
#11 Edited by DeadVillager (77 posts) -

Happy birthday! I believe that Giant Bomb launched on July 21, 2008.

Edit - Wait, haha. If I was right, I go by Dead Villager on steam.

#12 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

@Video_Game_King: Gamer_152 does not support second hand haikus. Those lazy bones will have to write their own haikus. It's a kind offer though.

@PsEG: Dang, that's a good haiku but it's not really a Giant Bomb haiku.

#13 Posted by joemarch (25 posts) -

blog march 6th 2008

website july 21st 2008

joeboy30

#14 Posted by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

I'll try for the bundle. Also happy birthday!

#15 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

@PsEG: Dang, that's a good haiku but it's not really a Giant Bomb haiku.

Exactly. It's a Giant Bomb senryu.

#16 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Neer mind thats too hard for me right now.

You look handsome today Gamer_152.

Edit: steam account is SexyToad9975.

Edit: wait never mind I'll try for the bundle.

#17 Posted by ze_ro (181 posts) -

I think I have all the games, I just came to say hi...Hi!

#18 Edited by amazinmace (38 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

Civilization V

Borderlands. It's got great variety and is very addictive. The guns are so wildly different. RPG + FPS is a great concept. It's also a very good game to play while listening to podcasts, for example the Bombcast. It's also been given endorsing words by Jeff.

Steam name: amazinmace

#19 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Hey! I did it, 5 wiki edits, they still have to be approve though. On a side note I'm suppose to have 1000+ wiki points but it's counting up wrong. Anyways happy birthday again!

Steam: SexyToad9975

#20 Posted by Mento (2507 posts) -

Happy Birthday, you goshderned whippersnapper.

#21 Posted by Aetheldod (3552 posts) -

Why vidoegames are so awesome you say??? Well what other entertainment media gives you the unique chance to live in a different world? Explore new places? To be the most awesomest of skaters pulling infinite amount of tricks? Or be a badass soldier without the dreadfull consecuences on real life? Or to be so engaging in its systems that people dedicate themselves to master them? Were doing a Hadoken after a punch in a 2 hit combo feels so rewarding ..... Videogames are awesome because they are so :P

Happy Birthday Duder

Steam name: hrotsurz

#22 Edited by Danteveli (1176 posts) -
#23 Edited by Zacagawea (1589 posts) -
Leaked Concept Art for Portal 3

Portal 2, of course

Steam: Zacagawea

Also, happy birthday! If you're in the US make sure not to drink and moderate at the same time

#24 Posted by Marmalade (192 posts) -

I'll go for Bastion since I'm positive Jeff really really wants to ride Dumbo.

Steam name is Jyluth. Also, happy birthday; don't drink too much!

#25 Posted by freckleman88 (13 posts) -

Video games are awesome because it allows people to experience something that is not possible in their real lives. This can be as simple as an average joe becoming a super assassin or can go as far as to be a person that cannot walk being a world class athlete. They are also really good for wasting time :).

Happy B-day sir.

steam name freckleman88

#26 Posted by Gamer_152 (14072 posts) -

While you were the first people to claim your respective games, I can't find Steam accounts under the names you've given me. Can you give me a link to your account pages? If not I have no way to gift these games to you and I'll have to put them back up for giveaway again.

#27 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -
#28 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

Should there be a rule that any haiku offered have to be actual haiku (IE concern nature at the least)? Or is that splitting hairs?

#29 Edited by Phatmac (5725 posts) -
#30 Edited by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

said:

It’s my 21st birthday today and I’ve decided to do something a little different. I have 9 games and 1 game bundle to give away.
Civilization V

My favorite video game of all time is the original Resident Evil.

Sure it's older and lacks story elements that some would find important, but where it fails in story it wins in just about everything else.

The tension of the game is amazing with the eerie music and creepy camera angles it makes the player feel like they, themselves are there in the zombie infested mansion with their characters.

And how many of us can truly say that we weren't scared as f*ck when a dead zombie came back as a crimson head? YOU DAMN LIAR.

Also... there's this.

The grand daddy of video game intros. This video alone should prove why RE1 is the best game of all time and if not, at least my favorite.

Steam ID: hello_dexter_morgan

If I don't win anything, just message me a picture of pie. Any pie is fine as long as it's real pie. Just so this wasn't a total loss.

#31 Edited by lead_farmer (1040 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

It’s my 21st birthday today and I’ve decided to do something a little different. I have 9 games and 1 game bundle to give away.

Civilization V

First of all, giving out gifts for YOUR birthday? Bravo duder. For Civ 5, I'll say Valkyria Chronicles. The battle system was amazing, the visual style is gorgeous, and the characters were so easy to get attached to. One of the best games for the PS3 and one of the best turn-based strategy games I have ever played. Steam:bvtrieu

#32 Posted by Danteveli (1176 posts) -

If a bird doesn't sing, kill it

Ok just checked and this is haiku by Nobunaga Oda

so here goes my second attempt at this

If Bombcast isnt dope, go to sleep

#33 Posted by Sparky_Buzzsaw (6154 posts) -

I'm sure the haiku's already been claimed, but I feel like spittin'! Hamster, give me a beat!

G Bombin duders

Durgers, shit talkin' burgers,

A motha fuckin' luchadeer.

Steam name: sparky_buzzsaw

Moderator Online
#34 Edited by QuantumPilot (86 posts) -
#35 Posted by Joey2683 (355 posts) -

Favorite Game: Final Fantasy 7

Despite the GB hate, FF7 has a place in my heart as my first completed RPG. When the game arrived in 1998 the graphics were above anything else at that time(For an RPG). The CG rendered backrounds looked amazing in place of most games that used sprites or jaggy polygons. The story had a depth and emotion I have not seen or felt in any game prior to it. The music was fantastic, bringing catchy beats that didn't get old, to every battle and especially the boss battles. The slower tunes further amplified the emotion to each scene as the players told their story. Finally the gameplay was incredibly addicting and constintly gave you options to go upgrade your charcters and their materia or seek out other allies. I remember using the materia system in advanced methods making the Knights Of The Round summon repeat eight times. It took so long I would often use that time to get a drink or use the restroom. This game will always hold a place as one of my favorite games and whenever I go back and see my play time at 99:99 I am reminded about how much of my life went into one of the greatest RPG's of all time.

Steam:joey2683

#36 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (1215 posts) -

@Gamer_152 said:

The Binding of Isaac

Compliment another user.

-Gamer_152

You have kind eyes.

#37 Edited by amazinmace (38 posts) -

@Gamer_152:

I was confused on which name to give you. So i gave you my profile name: Amazinmace

However, My steam account name is: crumpledssure

#38 Edited by SexyToad (2760 posts) -

Okay I got them all approved. 5 wiki edits! Steam: SexyToad9975

#39 Edited by The_Laughing_Man (13629 posts) -
@Sweep said:

Compliment another user.

Pfft.

(Happy Birthday dude!)

You are the best Hamburger here. There is no other hamburger I want inside me.  

If I win ill message ya my steam name. 
#40 Edited by ShaggE (6417 posts) -

"I found me the bomb"

Quoth Buckner and Garcia

Ryan's epic laugh

---

I'm probably way too late, but 'twas worth a shot. Steam: ShaggE1771

#41 Edited by DivineShadow777 (106 posts) -

Why video games are awesome. That question is so easy that a ton of answers come to mind so i think i will just name 5 instead for now.

1.) Video Games are immersive. They can put us in an enviorment totally foreign to us or a close fasimily to our own and sometimes just outright you can find better people in video games then in real life. An inspiring person who we connect with and synthesize with to become a better dude in real life.

2.) They help us get together. Here I am in egypt miles away from my apartment in NY and i can still play Mario Kart 7 with my little cousin all they way in Gerogia. I never get to see him but i never really have to because the fun I have smashing his car down a mountain in the game and later getting the angry letter over swapnotes i expected closes the distance between us.

3.) They give us insight on new situations. Through all the video games I have played there is always a little something you learn in them about what it is like to live as this kind of person for a day. I learn what its like to be rich and the jelousy and backstabbing it brings. How it fells to cursed and hated by the world. All these things apply to real people and when I meet people in my real life like this I love them a little more.

4.) Showcasing my skill. Sure one of my friends is a lineman in his high school football team. Another guy I know is lucky enough to be constantly chased by girls. My other friend has a voice like justin Beiber and has to pick from one of six girls. But all eyes are still on me when I get the the top of the leaderboards for Battlefield 3 for the tenth match in a row. And they dont know how good it fells to hit the top 10 in the Lolipop Chainsaw leaderboards.

5.) Finaly there god damn fun! Who dosent like blowing up cars in GTA, screwing with customers in Crazy Taxi or having a small cake alone on Christmas Eve with your girlfriend Naoto in Persona 4. Video Games bring genuine smiles to peoples faces and thats why i wanna make them when I graduate from one day! Simple

I just wanted to say that

#42 Posted by Zor (654 posts) -

First off, Happy Birthday,

Anywho, for Civ 5:

One of my favorite titles of all time is Team Fortress 2. It is a quick, fun, team base shooter that not only encourages team work, but rewards it. The different classes in it, actually feel different, since their abilities and weapons vary so widely. Plus it is constantly getting updates, so it nearly always feels fresh.

Steam ID: Zor

#43 Posted by ZombiePie (5637 posts) -

I have strict rules against taking any gifts on the site, but happy birthday nonetheless.

Moderator Online
#44 Edited by believer258 (11794 posts) -

Civilization V

Super Metroid.

It's so dear to me for the reason that it was the very first game that really solidified my interest as a lifelong gamer. That in and of itself does not make it a good game - however, what makes it such a great game is the sheer openness this game has. It's almost like the developers encouraged you to sequence break, i.e. get things in quite a different order than the developers intended. For instance, I recently replayed the game and I got power bombs very early. For a long time now, I've known that you can get the Spazer beam quite early as well or, even more interesting, you could beat the game several times without ever even touching the Spazer beam. Certainly there are some items and areas that you won't see until late game, but this doesn't change the fact that the game seems to be designed with this change of pace and sequence in mind, making this game an incredible accomplishment in level design and a stark contrast to the generally uber-linear types of games released today.

It's also worth mentioning that Super Metroid absolutely nails atmosphere and proves that a 2D game can be just as haunting and immersive as the best 3D games. Little effects and things like bugs on a dead body tell you that there's a story here and the game lets your imagination roam free.

Steam username: Believer (or believer258, one of those two)

Also, happy birthday and thank you very much for being so kind. Not to me, you haven't chosen me yet, but for being a good fellow and giving other people something for your birthday instead of just asking everyone for something for yourself. Sounds like a great idea!

#45 Edited by NoobSauceG7 (1241 posts) -

@Gamer_152: I think you are awesome and a pretty cool guy who has a birthday right before me (Go August Birthdays)! (a compliment for Binding of Issac)

Steam name: NoobSauceG7

#46 Posted by Bigheart711 (1253 posts) -

Happy 21st Birthday, duder! Hope you have fun with it! :)

#47 Posted by Mastercheesey (220 posts) -
#48 Posted by Video_Game_King (36272 posts) -

@believer258 said:

Also, happy birthday and thank you very much for being so kind. Not to me, you haven't chosen me yet, but for being a good fellow and giving other people something for your birthday instead of just asking everyone for something for yourself. Sounds like a great idea!

That's because that's exactly what I'm gonna do a couple of weeks from now :P.

#49 Edited by MikeGosot (3227 posts) -

Wow Haiku oh you,
That i'm not going to do
Wait man Giant Bomb.

or

Hi Brad Shoemaker,
I heard you don't like to die,
But that's what you do

EDIT: My Steam username is MikeGosot

#50 Posted by mynthon (52 posts) -

@Gamer_152: I received my prize, thank you, duder. It must be the first time I've won on The Nets.