A Tentative Foray Into Multiplayer Shooters, and Eating Lead

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By The_A_Drain

Maybe I havn't made as big a deal of it around here as I normally do, but in most circles I tend to inhabit I am well known for being a strictly single player kinda guy, with Street Fighter being the exception that proves the rule. So while it may come as no surprise that others are playing Battlefield 1943 religiously, it should in fact be a surprise that I spent a decent amount of time getting to grips with my fear and/or loathing of multiplayer shooters.

No Caption Provided
So I cranked up the Xbox 360 version, cursing the fact I only bought it because Eat Lead: the Return of Matt Hazard and The Simpsons Game had not arrived in the mail that morning, expecting the worst. I had been briefly inducted into the world of Battlefield 1942 way back when, by a group of friends who were avid cyber-cafe types and suffice it to say I played for over an hour, didn't get a single kill, got pissed off and never ever returned to multiplayer shooting. Ever. I mean it, I own CoD 2, 4, Halo 3, Counter Strike Source, etc etc, and the only one of those i've even played is Halo 3, purely for the achievements then I ditched it. Multiplayer scares the shit outta me and bar a few rounds of CSS or class UT with friends I avoid at all costs.

So it's no surprise I was apprehensive while the first map was loading (I was late to the party, so no connection problems for me, woot!) and initially all those fears came flooding back along with frustration, I spent a large portion of time in my first game simply spawning, walking outside of a building and being shot in the head. It wasn't until I decided to pick the Scout, and literally run for my life until I could no longer hear gunfire that I began to enjoy myself. I found that picking off targets with the scope was relatively easy, and the ensuing game of cat and mouse once you are discovered can be a lot of fun. So I spent several hours doing this before deciding that A) If I was going to get those achievements, and B) a decent taste for all aspects of the game, I had to switch classes.

Again, initially I was frustrated, inadequate, quick to die, etc etc, but once you realise how vastly different human players are from computer AI you begin to adapt rather quickly, so I set about aiming solely for the face, abusing decent weapons, and generally blasting my way to achievements. I spent a little bit of time with each vehicle, but quickly decided that aside from the plane, they were not for me, and that I would wait until Coral Sea unlocked before trying out the plane extensively. After a while I really began to enjoy the experience, something I genuinely never thought I would be able to do, not because I was suddenly owning everyone, in fact quite the opposite I was coming bottome 5 or so most maps, very rarely did I place in the top squad. I think the main reason I began to enjoy it is because I was able to let go of my fears of multiplayer shooters, sure I get owned by people who are awesome, and in a match where the entire opposing team are legacy players that can be frustrating as all hell, but equally there are players worse than me, and overall it balances quite well and I can actually enjoy myself.

That was boosted tenfold once Coral Sea unlocked (Holy shit, I an Xbox 360 fan but even I didnt expect it to happen as quickly as it did, like 4 days or something, 43 million
Splosions!
Splosions!
kills) and I discovered just how much epic fun can be had flying around like a maniac. Now i've got all the achievements out of the way (Only one left is to play 100 matches) I can happily reduce my activity to simply sniper battles and flying around like a complete loonatic, while I decided the other character classes were not for me, I did however decide the the game was. So watch out multiplayer shooter world, i'm here to stay. Well, until the achievements dry up at least.

Also this week, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. Or rather, today, the game is pretty damned short, 8 levels to be exact at maybe 30 minutes a piece on normal difficulties. However, like a fucking moron, and an achievement whore, I decided cheating to unlock the highest difficulty and immidietely playing that would be the sane thing to do. Boy was I wrong. For the most part it's smooth sailing, but at a few key points the difficulty spikes to such a high level that it's a miracle I didn't gouge my own eyes out in despair. For those wondering, it wasn't even the final boss who was difficult, the way regular enemies gang up on you is what gets you killed, and the amount of cover you have. You are entirely dependant on the level design and checkpoint feature in order to stay alive, so when you have to go a long time without a checkpoint, through an area with very little or no cover, or oddly shaped cover so you can still be hit, you'll want to throw your controller through your television (although not being a psycopath, I did not do that, but I definately wanted to)

It's lame catchphrase time!
But hey, that was my own fault and I got through it eventually, all I have to do now is turn down the difficulty and mop up the achievements. Overall, I wasnt expecting much, as I tend to when I pick up cheap games, but I found that most of the humor a lot of the general populace wouldn't have 'got', I did because of my knowledge of other parts of the industry, not just game cliches, so my advice is that anyone remotely attached to this industry, whether your an artist, a programmer, or student, heck even if you test games, play this game. It's definately got a lot of great (if goofy sometimes, but by design it seems) humor and most of it is well meaning although theres a few seemingly bitter jabs at GameStop, and a few select companies in there but you have to pick up on most of them yourself. It also helps that the game is self aware, very often I would find myself close to quitting, only to give the game one more try because the main character said exactly what I was thinking at the time "God I wish this game had a god mode" or "What? How did that hit me?", or similar things, it also makes a lot of references to mechanics it is missing. The one I found rather funny, as i've always said single player games should never have multiplayer components tacked on, was the "Multiplayer Master" achievement you get during the end credits "What do you mean there's no multiplayer? Oh well, have the achievement anyway"

As a third person shooter, the game is pretty good, it's a bit of a shame though as another 6 months of polish and the game could have turned out awesome, instead it's pretty mediocre with some unique enemies and humor, but way too frustrating, way too many poorly designed level sections, and had a lot of subpar mechanics such as melee. However, the ability to have the character automatically jump over cover and move up a section, or run to a nearby cover as yours is shot to pieces was pretty refreshing, although it would have been better if he sprinted instead of ran, so it turns out its quicker to do it yourself. Ho-hum. The JRPG pisstake poss was particularly lolworthy for me at least, I love JRPGs but those fuckers talk for hours.

Overall the bad holds it back enough that if I was going to give it a rating, it would be the lover end of somewhere between 2 and 3 stars unfortunately.

Oh well, i'm off to try the new XBLA release of Secret of Monkey Island now, having never played that before either, wish me luck!
The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By The_A_Drain

Maybe I havn't made as big a deal of it around here as I normally do, but in most circles I tend to inhabit I am well known for being a strictly single player kinda guy, with Street Fighter being the exception that proves the rule. So while it may come as no surprise that others are playing Battlefield 1943 religiously, it should in fact be a surprise that I spent a decent amount of time getting to grips with my fear and/or loathing of multiplayer shooters.

No Caption Provided
So I cranked up the Xbox 360 version, cursing the fact I only bought it because Eat Lead: the Return of Matt Hazard and The Simpsons Game had not arrived in the mail that morning, expecting the worst. I had been briefly inducted into the world of Battlefield 1942 way back when, by a group of friends who were avid cyber-cafe types and suffice it to say I played for over an hour, didn't get a single kill, got pissed off and never ever returned to multiplayer shooting. Ever. I mean it, I own CoD 2, 4, Halo 3, Counter Strike Source, etc etc, and the only one of those i've even played is Halo 3, purely for the achievements then I ditched it. Multiplayer scares the shit outta me and bar a few rounds of CSS or class UT with friends I avoid at all costs.

So it's no surprise I was apprehensive while the first map was loading (I was late to the party, so no connection problems for me, woot!) and initially all those fears came flooding back along with frustration, I spent a large portion of time in my first game simply spawning, walking outside of a building and being shot in the head. It wasn't until I decided to pick the Scout, and literally run for my life until I could no longer hear gunfire that I began to enjoy myself. I found that picking off targets with the scope was relatively easy, and the ensuing game of cat and mouse once you are discovered can be a lot of fun. So I spent several hours doing this before deciding that A) If I was going to get those achievements, and B) a decent taste for all aspects of the game, I had to switch classes.

Again, initially I was frustrated, inadequate, quick to die, etc etc, but once you realise how vastly different human players are from computer AI you begin to adapt rather quickly, so I set about aiming solely for the face, abusing decent weapons, and generally blasting my way to achievements. I spent a little bit of time with each vehicle, but quickly decided that aside from the plane, they were not for me, and that I would wait until Coral Sea unlocked before trying out the plane extensively. After a while I really began to enjoy the experience, something I genuinely never thought I would be able to do, not because I was suddenly owning everyone, in fact quite the opposite I was coming bottome 5 or so most maps, very rarely did I place in the top squad. I think the main reason I began to enjoy it is because I was able to let go of my fears of multiplayer shooters, sure I get owned by people who are awesome, and in a match where the entire opposing team are legacy players that can be frustrating as all hell, but equally there are players worse than me, and overall it balances quite well and I can actually enjoy myself.

That was boosted tenfold once Coral Sea unlocked (Holy shit, I an Xbox 360 fan but even I didnt expect it to happen as quickly as it did, like 4 days or something, 43 million
Splosions!
Splosions!
kills) and I discovered just how much epic fun can be had flying around like a maniac. Now i've got all the achievements out of the way (Only one left is to play 100 matches) I can happily reduce my activity to simply sniper battles and flying around like a complete loonatic, while I decided the other character classes were not for me, I did however decide the the game was. So watch out multiplayer shooter world, i'm here to stay. Well, until the achievements dry up at least.

Also this week, Eat Lead: The Return of Matt Hazard. Or rather, today, the game is pretty damned short, 8 levels to be exact at maybe 30 minutes a piece on normal difficulties. However, like a fucking moron, and an achievement whore, I decided cheating to unlock the highest difficulty and immidietely playing that would be the sane thing to do. Boy was I wrong. For the most part it's smooth sailing, but at a few key points the difficulty spikes to such a high level that it's a miracle I didn't gouge my own eyes out in despair. For those wondering, it wasn't even the final boss who was difficult, the way regular enemies gang up on you is what gets you killed, and the amount of cover you have. You are entirely dependant on the level design and checkpoint feature in order to stay alive, so when you have to go a long time without a checkpoint, through an area with very little or no cover, or oddly shaped cover so you can still be hit, you'll want to throw your controller through your television (although not being a psycopath, I did not do that, but I definately wanted to)

But hey, that was my own fault and I got through it eventually, all I have to do now is turn down the difficulty and mop up the achievements. Overall, I wasnt expecting much, as I tend to when I pick up cheap games, but I found that most of the humor a lot of the general populace wouldn't have 'got', I did because of my knowledge of other parts of the industry, not just game cliches, so my advice is that anyone remotely attached to this industry, whether your an artist, a programmer, or student, heck even if you test games, play this game. It's definately got a lot of great (if goofy sometimes, but by design it seems) humor and most of it is well meaning although theres a few seemingly bitter jabs at GameStop, and a few select companies in there but you have to pick up on most of them yourself. It also helps that the game is self aware, very often I would find myself close to quitting, only to give the game one more try because the main character said exactly what I was thinking at the time "God I wish this game had a god mode" or "What? How did that hit me?", or similar things, it also makes a lot of references to mechanics it is missing. The one I found rather funny, as i've always said single player games should never have multiplayer components tacked on, was the "Multiplayer Master" achievement you get during the end credits "What do you mean there's no multiplayer? Oh well, have the achievement anyway"

As a third person shooter, the game is pretty good, it's a bit of a shame though as another 6 months of polish and the game could have turned out awesome, instead it's pretty mediocre with some unique enemies and humor, but way too frustrating, way too many poorly designed level sections, and had a lot of subpar mechanics such as melee. However, the ability to have the character automatically jump over cover and move up a section, or run to a nearby cover as yours is shot to pieces was pretty refreshing, although it would have been better if he sprinted instead of ran, so it turns out its quicker to do it yourself. Ho-hum. The JRPG pisstake poss was particularly lolworthy for me at least, I love JRPGs but those fuckers talk for hours.

Overall the bad holds it back enough that if I was going to give it a rating, it would be the lover end of somewhere between 2 and 3 stars unfortunately.

Oh well, i'm off to try the new XBLA release of Secret of Monkey Island now, having never played that before either, wish me luck!
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Huh? How does being single player prevent you from liking a multiplayer game? I've been on a single player binge for years, but I still liked Team Fortress 2.

*reads part about Eat Lead* Reminds me of my experiences w/ Kane & Lynch. Only reading on, it sounds like the guys behind Conker made an FPS....and yelled at GameStop a bit. Definitely worth a look.

Pie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By Pie

I remember first getting into online FPS'S and getting kinda annoiyed cause people dont use cover like i was trying to do.....Whats the best sniping map in your opinion? I think Imo Iwaja? cause of how narrow that strip of land is and the way the two mountains are laid at aeither end.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_A_Drain
@Video_Game_King:

I never actually played Bad Fur Day, perhaps I should.

I dislike multiplayer generally because i'm bad at it, clans scare the fuck out of me, counter strike and BF1942 traumatised me, and I fucking dispise it taking away precious dev time from the single player when it gets tacked onto a single player game.

I would recommend Eat Lead, it's not great but it's worth it just for the lols. The Mario reference is particularly funny, if only for how ballsy it is, I would have been worried about getting sued if I had made that lol. Basicly you go to rescue a bloke called Capt Carpenter, turns out he's a dude in blue overalls with a Mario cap with a C on it, a bag of wood on his back, and he's trapped by poisnous mushrooms, you rescue him and he makes a bad joke about a barrel and a monkey before doing a silly jump and dissapearing down a green pipe. Also, he's russian, and has a beard and an eyepatch lol.

Also the last level I found the funniest, when all the employees in the company log into the game and all have silly names and health bars, some of them complain about wanting to get back to work whereas others shout that if they stay in cover they dont have to work as much lol. Theres also numerous industry jokes there, mostly testers being silly, artists being wimps or idiots, and coders complaining noone tested their cover object, or that yours has way too much HP and should be reprogrammed lol. Most people probably wouldnt find those things funny.

It wont take you long to finish and it's super cheap.

Although, one thing kinda annoyed me and backs up my earlier point about obvious lack of testing to root out some of the badly designed sections. During the end credits they spelled "European" as "Eurpoean" 4 times in a row. If they can't even get the spelling right in their own endgame credits, there cant have been all that much testing going on.

@Pie:

Oh Iwo Jima of course, there's a tiny little island just by, I think the USMC carrier, and from it theres a perfect view of both mountantop pillboxes, a heavily contented flag and the paths to two others, the lighthouse and 3 of the tower structures people like to sit still on. Not to mention a huge strip of beach people tend to run to to hide when the fighting over the hill gets too heavy. Often they dont notice you and assume they got hit from one of the numerous other locations. I once managed to snipe like 18 guys in a row before they finally realise I was on the island, then died 2 more times trying to swim to come get me lol. Before returning with a whole squad and finally ripping me apart.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By Bigandtasty

Yeah I shy away from most competitive multiplayer as well, preferring to remain in my little hidey-hole of illusion where I am god and all AI opponents will fall before me if I practice enough.

Have fun with monkey island my friend keeps poking me to get it but I am a wary frugal guy.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By RHCPfan24

I am with you, The_A_Drain. I rarely play multiplayer games but this game has been crack for me lately. I can't get enough of it; it is probably because the last multiplayer game I invested a lot of time in was Star Wars: Battlefront and the one before that being Battlefield 1942. A natural fit, obviously.

My favorite sniping map is Wake Island. I can't see an alternative because the whole map is practically visible from one of the ends of either side of the horseshoe shape. I am more of a rifle kind of guy though, in general.

The_A_Drain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By The_A_Drain
@RHCPfan24:

I like wake island, it's where I practice my short range shots (airfield) and my crazy long range shots (horseshoe tips, or carrier to carrier) but for general sniping I dont like it, as even you you can see the other tip from either of them, you cant see much of the airfield or most of where the battles take place, at least until someone bombs all the buildings in the way. So unless you want to go up one of tghe towers in the airfield, or sit somewhere else relatively vulnerable, theres not much sniping to be had. I'm not much of a battle sniper lol, I miss shots like crazy at a range the enemy is fully aware of me :P Plus the good players can get me with a rifle before I can get them with the scoped rifle lol!

Much prefer Iwo Jima.
RHCPfan24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 8

#8  Edited By RHCPfan24
@The_A_Drain said:
" @RHCPfan24: I like wake island, it's where I practice my short range shots (airfield) and my crazy long range shots (horseshoe tips, or carrier to carrier) but for general sniping I dont like it, as even you you can see the other tip from either of them, you cant see much of the airfield or most of where the battles take place, at least until someone bombs all the buildings in the way. So unless you want to go up one of tghe towers in the airfield, or sit somewhere else relatively vulnerable, theres not much sniping to be had. I'm not much of a battle sniper lol, I miss shots like crazy at a range the enemy is fully aware of me :P Plus the good players can get me with a rifle before I can get them with the scoped rifle lol!Much prefer Iwo Jima. "
Yeah, that is actually very understandable. When I play as a sniper there, I usually just pick off guys that are straggling on one end or the other, but no real intense action is to be had. It is more for a distraction than the real thing, in a way.