A thematically confused Renegade Ego this week.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

Edited By Video_Game_King
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.
The suave, daring, unrivaled King of Video Games. He is on an EROTIC quest to see if lesbians indeed have the goods. BEWARE, the Moon.

No Caption Provided

I know what you're thinking: are all the Season 3 blogs gonna be about water-themed games? God, I hope not. I think I could only keep it up for five blogs before I just move onto Season 4. And if they're all like Hydrophobia, I'd have to cut that to, like, three blogs. I know what you're thinking, and no: this isn't a bad game. It's more a middling, strangely cobbled together game than anything else.

It all starts with a zombie woman drowning. This is promptly ignored for the entire game as we follow an Australian version of the Beyond Good & Evil chick jump around something between Mirror's Edge and Deep Fear. Now none of those comparisons should be read as insulting or anything, because I actually like how the game looks. Not entirely, given the junk frame rate and the glitchy cutscenes, but still, you gotta give credit where credit's due. That squeaky clean Mirror's Edge aesthetic creates a cool looking, futuristic environment, and the water looks amazing. At least on a pure graphical level, it's hard to think of many games that handle water more realistically than this game. And to think that only, like, five guys did the graphics on this game. So yea, job well done and all that.

Ghost Gun: Rated PG-13. Coming this summer to a theater near you.
Ghost Gun: Rated PG-13. Coming this summer to a theater near you.

Anyway, back to the story, or what I'm going to call a story. So our Beyond Good & Evil-ish protagonist, now to be called "Kate", gets caught up in a terrorist attack by some Neo Malthusians or whatever. What do they want? To....kill people....That's a really weak motivation. It's like a character trait you give a villain with the asterisk "come up with something better" attached to it. In fact, I'd say the best way to describe the story would be to call it weak. For example, let us look at every other character in the game. They're all either assholes or Kate, and Kate's personality seems to be nothing more than "kinda worried about stuff, I guess". No real backstory or anything; just a kinda dumb engineer who doesn't like her situation...and somehow gets magical superpowers in the last ten minutes. Is this explained well? No, not really. And it's not like this agrees with the predominantly sci-fi world, so...uh, here's a robot for a final boss, I guess. Hell if I know where it came from. I think you can see what I'm saying by now: none of this is terribly exciting or even especially bad; it just occupies space and barely strings segments of the game together.

This would be the part where I describe the gameplay, but Hydrophobia is a bit strange in this aspect. Not in terms of the gameplay concepts it employs (that much I can handle), but more in how it employs them. Specifically, the pacing is all kinds of strange. The game's divided into three roughly equal acts, and each one introduces a new major gameplay concept. And I mean major; the second act alone introduces something resembling gameplay. I don't have to tell you how much this throws the game out of whack...but I will. You're either left with a situation that feels like it's wasting your time, or one where you're teased with the possibility of decent gameplay ideas. And the game does have some good ideas. It's just that it doesn't allow them enough time to develop, making them feel like the world's strangest form of padding.

Because you can never have too much security in a goddamn air duct.
Because you can never have too much security in a goddamn air duct.

Take, for example, the water mechanics. You know, the water mechanics advertised on the Steam page for this game? Turns out they come halfway through the final act of the game. I don't think I even have words for what a confusing design choice this is. Again, don't get me wrong; the water mechanics are...kinda cool, I guess? OK, so it really amounts to nothing more than shifting objects around, but I'm not sure if this is because you only get to use it for ten minutes or because Dark Energy legitimately didn't know what to do with this new toy. Here are a couple hints, guys, in case you decide to remake this game again: make it present for more of the game (at least then, I'll have more time to acclimate to the weird Z-axis controls), include more powers than just "move shit", or dedicate the entire game to me flinging enemies about with my stupid, stupid water powers. Any one of those would greatly improve on what you have here, Dark Energy.

Or you could just focus on anything, really, because I'm not getting that from anything in the game. Like the combat. Is it supposed to be an action game? A stealth action game? A survival horror game (presumably with action)? I have no goddamn way of knowing, since there's hints of all that at some point in the game. You have some drowning and claustrophobia and useless flashlights for people who like scary games (so I guess the opposite of me?), some environmental stuff for the stealth nuts in the crowd, and combos for everybody else. Well, except those combos assume that the score actually means something, and hell if I could figure out what that something is. And that stealth crap I mentioned before? You can totally cheese it with cover mechanics and infinite ammo. Hell, I didn't even know there were different ammo types until the end of the game, since the default works so damn well. AND HOW CAN A GAME BE SCARY WITHOUT MASSIVELY MORONIC PUZZLES!? What we're left with is....uh....

So is there anything you deal with consistently throughout the game? Like, anything? Oh, platforming? Joy. I'd be more excited if the platforming actually warranted excitement. Unfortunately, it amounts to nothing more than "go here, I guess". The game gives you a path; you follow it; that's the end of that. Sometimes, you have to balance on poles (which makes no sense in a PC game using a keyboard for movement, but whatever), but you mostly go back to aimlessly wandering around the vessel in search of some stealth-action segments or whatever. It's not because the platforming's especially bad or anything. It's more because there's really nothing to it, so there's nothing terribly engaging about it. (Plus, half the game is nothing but aimlessly wandering around in search of a goal.) Actually, now that I think about it, that's probably the best way to explain Hydrophobia to somebody: it would be better in just about any other game, but somehow, all it manages to do here is simply exist.

Review Synopsis

• I only need one bullet, but it's a good one: the Dark Energy offices were staffed entirely with the people from the 5 Hour Energy commercials while they were developing Hydrophobia.

Japan and the Internet: The Video. Rated....something.

No Caption Provided

Finally! A game that isn't water themed! Granted, there's a single water level, but given that it makes up slightly less than 14% of the game, I'm willing to declare it a non-water themed game. But wait. Including this, the past three games I've blogged about have had female protagonists. Does that mean Season 3 is gonna be this all over again? Oh god...I'm gonna have t-Huh? Oh, right; the game.....It's OK, I guess.

The story? Oh....there are witches and stuff, and lots of animes, and...I think it's clear that I skipped just about any cutscene that presented itself. Can you blame me? I can't read any of the cutscenes and even if I could, it doesn't sound like they'd offer too much. But who cares about shit like that? LOOK AT HOW CUTE THIS GAME IS! All those bright primary colors and exaggerated expressions and the bob cut on the little girl that makes her look like a medieval page! It's enough sensory overload to destroy your reasoning abilities. Who cares if, at least technically speaking, the game doesn't look too good? Or if the main melodies only use about one instrument? You get to fight a fuzzy squirrel as a mid-boss. What more could you want? (That was all written in baby talk, by the way. It's just that you can't tell because it's writing.)

HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE HELL IS TEA TIME!?
HOLY SHIT! WHAT THE HELL IS TEA TIME!?

So why the lack of genuine enthusiasm throughout this blog? Well, ignoring the fact that the above video will drain the life out of anyone, the game itself is for babies. Granted, it's really good at being for babies, but this is still made for an audience that can't walk (yet somehow knows how to play a video game). How else do you explain the difficulty? You power-up kinda quickly, so nothing stands a chance against your girly power. Just hold down a button (not the A button, but I can't remember which one) and watch as everything explodes in front of you. And no, the one-hit kills don't come back to make things more challenging, since your power doesn't go down enough to make that a viable option. The later stages can pose a challenge (as in "there's a chance you might actually die"), but it's too little too late.

The strange thing about all this, though? There's a solid game buried underneath everything I've just said. I'm not just talking about the shooting, although I guess that works. The pacing's pretty good, delivering a steady flow of cute things to murder in the face, and it at least seems like there's strategy as to what magic you use when. (I couldn't tell you, given how little I used it.) No, I'm talking about the experience system. Yes, it leads to an easy game, but that aside, it's actually pretty cool. You can shoot EXP items to make them worth more, but doing so pushes them further away from you and into enemy territory. It's a pretty cool risk/reward twist that adds some much needed challenge to the game...and then takes it all away should you actually get the EXP. Quite a quandary. What should I do with this game?.....I'd still go for it, but only because of Tea Time. Without Tea Time, Cotton is nothing. And I'll end this blog on that chunk of VGK wisdom.

Review Synopsis

• D'aaaaaaaawwwwwwwwwww...........
  • Wow, bouncing around little EXP balls sure is fun...
  • ...yet more challenge would surely be appreciated.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#1 Mento  Moderator

I feel bad for Hydrophobia because I keep seeing it for sale for almost nothing. But then I realise there are plenty of less well-received games out there that never willingly drop their own asking price to a pittance, and I suspect the developers/publishers are more interested in getting people to try their game than actually profiting from it at this point, which is actually uncommonly awesome and forward-thinking of them. I seem to recall that it had something of a buggy mislaunch, received a lot of bad press and then couldn't get anyone interested in it again once they'd patched most of the problems a few months after the fact - something I feel might happen again with this SimCity debacle, once EA and Maxis finally admit that their silly "always online" fixture isn't quite so inflexible as they claim and drop it for the sake of whoever is still interested after all this awful word of mouth.

Talking of water games: Sink or Swim, SOS, Wetrix, Vessel, Puddle and, uh, Waterworld? You shouldn't have any problem building a whole season of blogs around these things; we're practically drowning in them. Or they're pooling around our ankles, at least. Water terrible torrent of puns I'm pouring out here for all to sea; I'm so washamed.

Obviously I've never played your SuFami game du jour, but I did find a complete list of SNES RPGs somewhere that I'm semi-curious to try out. I've played at least a bit of all the ones that have seen US/EU releases, but it's only about a third of what's out there. I ought to play Mystic Ark and Treasure of the Rudras at the very least, since I hear their fan translations are top-notch. Then again, I said all this about Genesis games a while ago and point-and-click adventure games before that, so I should probably commit to something already. I think for the time being it'll be watching the archives of that stupid VGCW show that Jeff and Intern Ben got me into.

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Mento  Moderator

I forgot to do the @video_game_king thing in that last comment and we've proven that editing them back in afterwards doesn't do a damn thing, so here's another reply so you know someone responded. Man, is this new website still very stupid.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento said:

Man, is this new website still very stupid.

I'm all too aware. I plan on using Nanako'Sho in the latest blog that I'm writing (because that's the blog where I finally reveal why such a thing exists), but gallery browsing won't let that happen. Plus everything else about images that isn't good. Anyway, time to comment on something relevant:

I seem to recall that it had something of a buggy mislaunch, received a lot of bad press and then couldn't get anyone interested in it again once they'd patched most of the problems a few months after the fact

Wait, does that mean Hydrophobia was buggier than Ghost Gun up there? I don't even want to know what THAT would have been like. Yeesh.

Water terrible torrent of puns I'm pouring out here for all to sea; I'm so washamed.

Man, this is getting to be a teddious. Teddious blog. Wait, I haven't posted that video, yet.

I'd recommend both those particular RPGs, Mystic Ark for the music and Rudra for the swearing magic system I made a video of back in my GameSpot days.

Avatar image for equitasinvictus
EquitasInvictus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@mento: Wait, I thought using "@" never worked through an edit even on the old website?

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

@video_game_king Now I kind of want you to play vanilla, unpatched Hydrophobia. Because if the second remade version of the game is considered mediocre, I'd wonder how the original version would play. Also, FE6 is kind of bland and has poor level design. That is all.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, FE6 is kind of bland and has poor level design. That is all.

Where's this coming from? Did you know that I finally got Awakening today, and that listening to Thracia 776 has given me massive nostalgia attacks? Unfortunately, Persona was here first, and I'm already 100 screenshots deep. (I'm barely past the first boss.)

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

@video_game_king: That came from it being 2 in the morning and me currently playing through Fuuin no Tsurugi. Also, maybe you've heard, but Awakening is dope. Also, Persona is going to take you a long time.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also, Persona is going to take you a long time.

I'm all too aware. I've been dying a lot after the first boss battle, although I think that's because Brooklyn was tired.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 23

#9  Edited By pyromagnestir

Hello? Is anyone there? VGK? I read your blog. Can you hear me? It was alright, considering I haven't played either of these games and only know the first one from a quick look which made the game look pretty bland and uninteresting. Sounds like that impression wasn't far off from the truth I guess? Hello?

This place seems kinda dead... I guess I'll be going then.

On an unrelated note, Fragile Dreams is alright. I was briefly very excited when I initially booted up the game and the first half hour made it seem like it could be a click and point adventure game in disguise, but then they went and introduced the combat mechanics... I suppose the game could have been a lot better than alright if the weapons weren't even more fragile than the titular dreams, or the combat weren't so... not fun. Or if I just completely ignored the inventory management aspect of the game instead of constantly trying to pick up as much stuff as I can carry and venturing back to the fireplace to see what it is/unload it all. Everything else about the game is pretty fantastic so far, though. When I finish it I'll suppose I'll be back to see if you wrote a blog about it.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When I finish it I'll suppose I'll be back to see if you wrote a blog about it.

I did. Oh so very long ago. (But it's impossible to find, since there aren't any tools that I know of for searching out blogs to any extent.)

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@pyromagnestir said:

I did. Oh so very long ago. (But it's impossible to find, since there aren't any tools that I know of for searching out blogs to any extent.)

nope theres none, that dude will have to dig through pages to find the older stuff.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Video_Game_King

@mrfluke:

I'd say that the staff should work on it, but there are bigger issues to treat first, like why it's harder to caption images now than it was a few months ago.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#13  Edited By pyromagnestir

@mrfluke said:

@video_game_king said:

@pyromagnestir said:

nope theres none, that dude will have to dig through pages to find the older stuff.

Or I'll just have to type "fragile dreams video_game_king giantbomb" into google and click the first link that comes up.

mrfluke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By mrfluke

@pyromagnestir said:

@mrfluke said:

@video_game_king said:

@pyromagnestir said:

Or I'll just have to type "fragile dreams video_game_king giantbomb" into google and click the first link that comes up.

true, its a lot more cumbersome though

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#16  Edited By musubi

I've seen Hydrophobia as low as $2.50 and always thought it was still too much to pay.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento said:

I forgot to do the @video_game_king thing in that last comment and we've proven that editing them back in afterwards doesn't do a damn thing, so here's another reply so you know someone responded. Man, is this new website still very stupid.

Wasn't that an issue in the old website as well?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mento  Moderator

@equitasinvictus: @turambar: It definitely says something about how busted the new site is that any of the extant issues it's carried over are immediately forgiven. "Forget that old bug, we got a whole mess of new ones to worry about"?

Anyway, I was going to suggest the Google thing to search for blogs also. It's what I do whenever I want to find one of my older ones for linking purposes. Hey, guess what, it's not a good time for blogging right now, everyone. I suggest we all move into lists; at least the infrastructure for those works.

Also watch me whine some more. Back to this dumb VGCW archive footage I'm inexplicably captivated by.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mento said:

@equitasinvictus: @turambar: It definitely says something about how busted the new site is that any of the extant issues it's carried over are immediately forgiven. "Forget that old bug, we got a whole mess of new ones to worry about"?

Anyway, I was going to suggest the Google thing to search for blogs also. It's what I do whenever I want to find one of my older ones for linking purposes. Hey, guess what, it's not a good time for blogging right now, everyone. I suggest we all move into lists; at least the infrastructure for those works.

Also watch me whine some more. Back to this dumb VGCW archive footage I'm inexplicably captivated by.

The footage is captivating because it uses Super Robot Wars music during matches.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought Hydrophobia about a year ago and have never played it. Still not sure if its worth the time.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Video_Game_King

@laserbolts:

It really isn't, especially since it runs better full-screen than it does windowed. How does that even work?

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers