About 1080p and LCD Monitors.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Blinck

Hey everyone, so.... after getting bored with WOW once again, i just decided to buy myself a ps3.
I have a 24'' LCD monitor connected to my computer which i'm using for the ps3 as well, and it supports full HD 1080p resolutions.

The thing is, I set my ps3 for 1080p, but when I play for example, little big planet, or uncharted, the graphics become pretty blurry, it seems that it does not correctly scales, but instead stretches the image. On a game like Wipeout HD I can get beautiful sharpen visuals as it is 1080p supported.
Then I disabled both 1080i and 1080p resolutions on the ps3 settings, so that it goes for 720p only instead of "stretching", but it still looks blurry.

Is it because my monitor only supports 1080p as a native resolution and everything else will look blurry?
Any help would be great
Thanks in advance
Blinck

KiddSushi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By KiddSushi

Can you post the model number, please?

Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By Snail

I also have this situation. Prince of Persia should support 1080p but it only goes up to 720p, and Rainbow Six Vegas one looks really weird in 1080p.

Lozz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4  Edited By Lozz

It might be because your monitor only supports 1080p and those games don't support it. On my Bravia whenever I play a game that isn't native 1080p the tv automatically changes the screen resolution and rescales itself. I don't know too much about this so I could be wrong.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Blinck

Hey, the monitor model is LG Flatron w2452T

Yeah that's my best guess, that the monitor only native resolution is 1080p so everything else with be "baddly-scaled"

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6  Edited By Hexpane

DO NOT USE 1080p for PS3 games!

The UNcharted devs themselves have stated that 1080p mode is just a bonus for people stuck w/ 1080i only TVs. the game renders native in 720p and will always look best at that res. The 1080p modes for PS3 game  are almost always that bogus trick they use for only half scaling.

What connection type are you using?  What is the make/model of your Monitor?  Also note that your monitor is likely 16x10 not 16x9

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Blinck
Hexpane said:
"DO NOT USE 1080p for PS3 games!

The UNcharted devs themselves have stated that 1080p mode is just a bonus for people stuck w/ 1080i only TVs. the game renders native in 720p and will always look best at that res. The 1080p modes for PS3 game  are almost always that bogus trick they use for only half scaling.

What connection type are you using?  What is the make/model of your Monitor?  Also note that your monitor is likely 16x10 not 16x9"
Hey there
The monitor model is an LG Flatron w2452T. I'm using a DVI/HMDI adaptor
Snail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By Snail
Hexpane said:

What connection type are you using?  What is the make/model of your Monitor?  Also note that your monitor is likely 16x10 not 16x9"
In my case, though, what happens is that 1080p games (such as PoP) go down to 720p.
Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Megalon

It's probably blurry because your monitor has a higher resolution (at least 1920x1200) than 1080p (1920x1080). LCD monitors pretty much always look subpar when you have anything but their native resolution displayed. You might be able to turn on a non-stretch mode that would give you small black bars at the top and bottom, and that would probably fix the blurry problem (also note that you are likely sitting much closer to the monitor than to a tv, so it's bound to not look as pretty). 

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Hexpane
Blinck said:
"Hexpane said:

Hey there
The monitor model is an LG Flatron w2452T. I'm using a DVI/HMDI adaptor"
The specs mention

eatures

- DFC (Digital Fine Contrast ratio) 10,000:1, Unprecedented Contrast Ratio

- Lighting Fast Response Time 2ms (GTG)

- FUN Key

▷ 4:3 in Wide
: Convenient Aspect Ratio Conversion
: Enjoy original 4:3 images.
▷ ez Zooming
: Switch resolution at the touch of a button
▷Photo Effect
: Change the tone and color of an image
: GAUSSIAN BLUR EFFECT / SEPIA EFFECT / MONOCHROME EFFECT
▷Sound
: Set your power button to play a nice sound

Have you checked all these settings like 4x3 "in wide" to make sure they are off?  Ditto for Zooming or "Photo effect", touch of a button res  etc...   The best image from a PS3 is usually w/ all "enhancements off"

I could not find what uspcaler that monitor uses, but since it's LG.. IDK  I personally like the faujoura uplscaling tech..

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#11  Edited By Maru

Try setting the monitor to 1680x1050 resolution.. that might fix the stretching problem..

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By jimbojones

lol ps3, 360 easily upscales to 1080p. no problems

Megalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Megalon
Maru said:
"Try setting the monitor to 1680x1050 resolution.. that might fix the stretching problem.."
If it was a 22" monitor that might work, but since it's a 24" that is well below it's native resolution and will look worse most likely, regardless of if the PS3 will output the signal "better" at that resolution for some reason.

jimbojones
said:
"lol ps3, 360 easily upscales to 1080p. no problems"
Sigh. Really dude? You make 360 people look bad saying that kind of crap.
Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
Rhombus_Of_Terror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Some lcd monitors don't have 1:1 pixel mapping. my LG22" doesn't have it, so it is slightly stretched (but the native PC resolution of 1680x1050 and it's high contrast ratio make up for it for PC gaming). If it had 1:1 pixel mapping, the PS3 will letterboxed so it will scale in native 16:9 on a 16:10 with black bars on the top and bottom of the screen. If there is no way to change it, it can't be changed.

Some people have said that the PS3 doesn't have a vertical scaler built in. 1:1 pixel mapping in some tv aliviates the strecting issue by detecting a 4:3 or 16:9 broadcast. Sony might take up the response to this and include 16:10 support like the 360's NXE has done. Owners have raised this on Sony's forums, so who knows...

jimbojones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jimbojones
Megalon said:

jimbojones
said:
Sigh. Really dude? You make 360 people look bad saying that kind of crap."
?!? Shouldn't that make it look better.....
Karmum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Karmum
jimbojones said:
"Megalon said:

jimbojones
said:
?!? Shouldn't that make it look better....."
He is trying to say you are making people who own a 360 silly. 360 upscales to 1080p, really? My HDTV supports up to 1080p and many of my games go down to 720p. I have a 360, by the way,
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Blinck

Thanks for the replies guys..well, except for you Jimbojones, if you don't have anything helpful to say please just don't say anything.

When I get home I will try to see the monitor configurations on aspect ratio and will report later
Cheers

Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hexpane
Karmum said:
"jimbojones said:
"Megalon said:

jimbojones
said:
?!? Shouldn't that make it look better....."
He is trying to say you are making people who own a 360 silly. 360 upscales to 1080p, really? My HDTV supports up to 1080p and many of my games go down to 720p. I have a 360, by the way,"
dont even bother responding, jumbojones is a troll account, he doesn't really care .. he just likes posting silly comments and attention whoring
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Blinck

Hey guys, so after trying everything with my monitor and reading allot of stuff on the internet i came to this conclusion:

Any digital LCD monitor or TV that is Full HD and has a native resolution of 1080p will always do a stretch to play games as 720p. If the Monitor or TV is 16:9 aspect ratio, the stretching won't be so strong but you will still notice it, since when they are not at their native resolutions there is always a bit loss of quality. Some TV and LCD monitors do this resize better then others, but you can never get the best quality if the native resolution is not the same as the game.

This is pretty bad since many people want 1080p monitors or televisions in order to watch BR movies, but they will always suffer from quality loss in games optimized for 720p. Of course, when games are 1080p ( wipeout is a nice example), they will look extraordinary. Unfortunatly there are not many 1080p games out at the moment.

So basically, at this moment, people with a HD READY tv, (1280*720 resolution) will get the most quality from videogames, although won't be able to fully experience games like wipeout, but since most of the games coming out are 720p, I think it is really the best choice to get an HD READY TV/Monitor.

Thanks everyone for the replies once again,
Cheers
Blinck

Kazona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20  Edited By Kazona

So I'm basically better off buying a 720p TV right now instead of a 1080p. Heh nice to know those kind of things. Thanks.

Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Blinck
Kazona said:
"So I'm basically better off buying a 720p TV right now instead of a 1080p. Heh nice to know those kind of things. Thanks."

Yeah for gaming I would say so, or just pray that more 1080p games come out.
Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Stevokenevo

This is interesting because I have been considering getting a ps3 and hooking it up to my 20" monitor using a dvi - hdmi adapter.  Its still alot cheaper than buying a new tv so I guess I cant complain if there is a minor loss in quality.

Does anyone know why most games are made to render at 720p instead of 1080p?  Considering they are HD consoles it doesnt make sense unless it has something to do with Standard Definition tv's or development related issues.

Maru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Maru
Stevokenevo said:
"This is interesting because I have been considering getting a ps3 and hooking it up to my 20" monitor using a dvi - hdmi adapter.  Its still alot cheaper than buying a new tv so I guess I cant complain if there is a minor loss in quality.

Does anyone know why most games are made to render at 720p instead of 1080p?  Considering they are HD consoles it doesnt make sense unless it has something to do with Standard Definition tv's or development related issues."

its the limit of console hardware.
Hexpane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Hexpane
Maru said:
"Stevokenevo said:
"This is interesting because I have been considering getting a ps3 and hooking it up to my 20" monitor using a dvi - hdmi adapter.  Its still alot cheaper than buying a new tv so I guess I cant complain if there is a minor loss in quality.

Does anyone know why most games are made to render at 720p instead of 1080p?  Considering they are HD consoles it doesnt make sense unless it has something to do with Standard Definition tv's or development related issues."

its the limit of console hardware."
Yes, check out Bungie's rant on "pixel counters"  Basically bungie was angry that people w/ 1:1 mapping HDTVs figured out that Halo 3 was not even 720p or 1080p but was instead like 640p.  Bungie called the people who noticed this a bunch of cry baby loser nerds and then went on this big rant about how fancy their graphics technology was for Halo 3 and how awesome it looked and resolution doesnt matter... standard stuff.

The irony of course is that you can still get all those fancy graphics and lighting AND get a higher resolution simply by playing a game on a PC.  Magically those restrictions go away.

Bottom line is the PS3 and XBOX360 have old GPUs that are under powered and were not truly ready for HD.  Sony promised "TRUE HD" and delivered on like 5 games.  Microsoft realized most people won't bother to research Native vs. Upscaled so they just patched 360 to upscale everything to 1080p (even if the native is 640p like halo) and now developers put on every game "1080p support" which "tricks" consumers into thinking they are buying 1080p games.

Anyhoot if you are buying a new HDTV I would still go 1080p as Blu Ray is 1080p and *some* games are native 1080p.   Eventually the next gen of consoles will catch up.

I have a 2005 HDTV that is 720p and everything is looking good, (black levels could be better and color is a bit pop)  so my next tv will be Sony Bravia and 1080p when I upgrade and swap this 720p into the bedroom.

This particular issue however is about the LCD PC monitors which are 16x10 and that presents a whole diff bag of variables to worry about.
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Blinck

Yeah basically the XBOX and the PS3 can't hold 1080p games without FPS issues, it's a high jump from 1280 to 1920 resolution.
Although I believe the PS3 will be able to soon. Programmers and game developers are starting to learn the secrets to explore the PS3 potential, and I believe they will soon be able to start releasing games in full HD. But only exclusives though, since the XBOX probablly won't be able to hold them ( not trolling, just saying this because it is a fact that the ps3 has more graphical performance capability then the XBOX), and I don't believe they would be releasing the same game as 720p for the XBOX and 1080p for the PS3.

So yeah, if you want high resolutions you need a PC...a very, very good and expensive PC.

But unless you are a graphics BITCH 720p is great anyway :P You probably wouldn't notice that much difference, unless you would be playing on a HUGE tv.
Hehe cheers

Stevokenevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Stevokenevo

Thanks for clearing my question up guys.

Blinck said:

So yeah, if you want high resolutions you need a PC...a very, very good and expensive PC.

Glad I spent ALOT of money on an amazing pc!  Its so nice to have a game like Far Cry 2 running on Ultra settings with no drop in framerates.

Thats the reason I've been holding off getting a ps3, because I bought a pc for FPS', RTS' etc.  Im looking into it now because I would like to play some of the ps3 exclusives.
Blinck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Blinck
Stevokenevo said:
"Thanks for clearing my question up guys.

Blinck said:

Glad I spent ALOT of money on an amazing pc!  Its so nice to have a game like Far Cry 2 running on Ultra settings with no drop in framerates.

Thats the reason I've been holding off getting a ps3, because I bought a pc for FPS', RTS' etc.  Im looking into it now because I would like to play some of the ps3 exclusives."
Yeah I've been a PC gamer for a long time, I have a nice PC ( nothing amazing, but good enough ) and I can play most games pretty well.
But i really wanted a console..being able to just lay down on my bed while playing is great, i'm kind of tired of having to be sited in my desk, ony hand opn the keyboard, other hand on mouse, being all unconfortable, having to install the gamees, ajusting the graphics, bla bla bla. Still, FPS are great on PC for sure, as well as RTS like you said. but other games just feel better on consoles, at least for me hehe. I'm really happy I bought a ps3!!
cheers