• 65 results
#1 Edited by Snail (8619 posts) -

For those of you who don't yet know (potentially because you spent the entire last week of November living under a rock), or for those of you who don't remember, developer 22 Cans launched a Kickstarter almost a month ago to fund what is being called "Project GODUS", Peter Molyneux's deeply personal attempt at having yet another glorious bash at the "god genre".

The development team is the very same one that brought Curiosity: What's Inside the Cube? to fruition, and they're all collectively hoping to garner £450,000 via crowd-funding on the Kickstarter platform. Right now the effort sits at a steadily increasing sum of £422,440, which is just enough for us hopefuls to be worried and anticipative in equal measures.

The tracking website kicktraq suggests a hopeful trend, but it seems to be a close call. So to any of you who have an interest in this project but haven't pledged: get to it! Peter Molyneux needs your help! After the heartbreak that was Milo (a page that apparently doesn't exist on Giant Bomb, by the way) I think this industry erudite could use some encouraging charity to help turn his ambitious ideas into reality.

I'd seriously like to watch Mr. Molyneux passionately work on a video-game, so I'm really hoping to see a lot more of those backer-exclusive development videos.

#2 Posted by Humanity (9633 posts) -

Peter Molyneux has gotten enough of my money over the years.

#3 Posted by Abendlaender (2839 posts) -

Eh, it will get there. He is just missing about 30.000 GBP. I wont pledge, Molyneux has just lost any credibility

#4 Posted by Athadam (697 posts) -

If the project undergoes the Kickstarter trend, within the last 24 hours it will easily meet that 30,000. The pattern is that most projects get massive funding at the beginning and then at the end, and according to the pattern - this game will most likely be funded.

#5 Posted by Asrahn (552 posts) -

Pledged the very second the kickstarter came up. Hoping it will actually come through :>

#6 Posted by scalpel (314 posts) -

I hope they don't reach it.

#7 Posted by aquamarin (555 posts) -

@scalpel said:

I hope they don't reach it.

Thanks for breaking the ice. This is my hope for all video game kickstarters.

#8 Posted by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Humanity said:

He's still a big enough name that him doing Kickstarter makes no sense, I think he could easily find a publisher to fund a Black and White 3 or a Populous 3, I will buy it when it comes out but preordering a game I know nothing about is pretty silly.

#9 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -

Raised my pledge, nothing more I can do than that.  

#10 Posted by zudthespud (3283 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

He's still a big enough name that him doing Kickstarter makes no sense, I think he could easily find a publisher to fund a Black and White 3 or a Populous 3, I will buy it when it comes out but preordering a game I know nothing about is pretty silly.

I think people like feeling like a part of the development of the game so a kickstarter pledge is an easier purchase for some people than normal games.

#11 Posted by granderojo (1792 posts) -

Something about the aesthetic of this game made me think that at any second during the prototype video the player being controlled on screen would start making the chirp sound from Journey.

Seems like just the right amount of art house bullshit that Peter could get behind.

In all seriousness, I love populous. I'll donate to this despite their being a lot of derivatives that came out just this year and last to choose from. This concept seemed well developed.

#12 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

They have demonstrated working prototypes for this game, there are development videos up on YouTube and they provide artwork and descriptions of what they aim to develop in their Kickstarter page. If you know nothing about this game then I'll assume you haven't tried to know anything about it, or have deliberately avoided information.

#13 Posted by BeachThunder (12113 posts) -
#14 Posted by ZeForgotten (10397 posts) -
#15 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

They have demonstrated working prototypes for this game, there are development videos up on YouTube and they provide artwork and descriptions of what they aim to develop in their Kickstarter page. If you know nothing about this game then I'll assume you haven't tried to know anything about it, or have deliberately avoided information.

Exactly, that's why they should take it to a publisher.

#16 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

What? I don't get how you conjectured that from what I wrote.

A "publisher", as I understand it, was what put an end to Molyneux's last project before he left Lionhead. Project Milo was one of the most ambitious video-games he had ever attempted to produce. It was cancelled for some really shitty reason: even though people were impressed by his work, and the media coverage surrounding it was pretty much unanimously anticipative of the title, because Microsoft (at least I think it was them) wasn't confident about how it would sell, the project was shut down - at the time I remember that Molyneux said something about they started thinking how the game would look like on a shelf, sitting next to the latest first-person shooter or something.

So I understand why he'd want complete and total freedom from men in suits in higher seats. I'm not hating on Microsoft, but sometimes some people and some games just aren't all too compatible with the corporate business models that define most high-tier, big-pocket publishers.

#17 Posted by gamefreak9 (2372 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

you keep more profits by doing kickstarter.

Also... 450k seems very ambitious...

#18 Edited by Bourbon_Warrior (4523 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

A "publisher", as I understand it, was what put an end to Molyneux's last project before he left Lionhead. Project Milo was one of the most ambitious video-games he had ever attempted to produce. It was cancelled for some really shitty reason: even though people were impressed by his work, and the media coverage surrounding it was pretty much unanimously anticipative of the title, because Microsoft (at least I think it was them) wasn't confident about how it would sell, the project was shut down - at the time I remember that Molyneux said something about they started thinking how the game would look like on a shelf, sitting next to the latest first-person shooter or something.

So I understand why he'd want complete and total freedom from men in suits in higher seats. I'm not hating on Microsoft, but sometimes some people and some games just aren't all too compatible with the corporate business models that define most high-tier, big-pocket publishers.

Project Milo was a video made to sell kinects. this man must have made some money over the years I'm sure he could find a private backer if not a publisher. The videos of this game really show nothing about it apart from it looks like iOS fodder. Go back to making a big Black and White game, which I feel alot of these backers thought it would be.

#19 Posted by lightsoda (541 posts) -

It's been getting there rapidly over the last few hours, if this keeps up it will hit the goal.

#20 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

Project Milo was a video made to sell kinects. this man must have made some money over the years I'm sure he could find a private backer if not a publisher. The videos of this game really show nothing about it apart from it looks like iOS fodder. Go back to making a big Black and White game.

That's a really ignorant and misinformed opinion of what Milo was. There was enough press coverage around that game, and its cancellation, to refute you just abut a thousand times over.

And I really don't think Molyneux is looking to make simple "iOS fodder". This man's back-catalog doesn't match that.

#21 Edited by ArtisanBreads (3890 posts) -

I'm not backing any kickstarters by principle, but the only thing that keeps me being less interested in this game is that it seems to be more multiplayer focused, from what they've shown.

If it's good when it is released, I will gladly buy it for more money.

Big fan of Molyneux though, fuck the haters. Good luck to it.

#22 Posted by Mr_Skeleton (5147 posts) -

£450,000 = $700,000

Just to let people know

#23 Posted by Karkarov (3192 posts) -

I have been a backer since the day it went live. Most people seem opposed to this game because of whose name is on it, not because of anything to do with the actual kickstarter. For all of his haters I wonder if people remember why Molyneux became so well known in the first place? Oh that's right, he made ambitious games that were fun to play. Say what you want about Fable, Black & White, etc, I liked those games. I liked Populous. I have no problem giving the dude my money, I would rather back someone who has a great vision for a game even if in the end he can't deliver it exactly as imagined than most of the bland focus tested safe bet only crap you see on market today. In other words, maybe he can't deliver on his vision, but at least he has one.

#24 Edited by Snail (8619 posts) -

@ArtisanBreads said:

I'm not backing any kickstarters by principle, but the only thing that keeps me being less interested in this game is that it seems to be more multiplayer focused, from what they've shown.

If it's good when it is released, I will gladly buy it for more money.

Big fan of Molyneux though, fuck the haters. Good luck to it.

I disagree. There seems to be focus on the multiplayer-mode, but I don't think that the game looks necessarily multiplayer-oriented. The fact that they're making sure it'll be a fun and robust multiplayer experience sounds like a good thing to me. In any case, I think it's way too soon in development for us to make a judgement like that, so I'm just speculating.

Why are you opposed to kickstarters by principle?

#25 Edited by Superfriend (1572 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

I have been a backer since the day it went live. Most people seem opposed to this game because of whose name is on it, not because of anything to do with the actual kickstarter. For all of his haters I wonder if people remember why Molyneux became so well known in the first place? Oh that's right, he made ambitious games that were fun to play. Say what you want about Fable, Black & White, etc, I liked those games. I liked Populous. I have no problem giving the dude my money, I would rather back someone who has a great vision for a game even if in the end he can't deliver it exactly as imagined than most of the bland focus tested safe bet only crap you see on market today. In other words, maybe he can't deliver on his vision, but at least he has one.

Yes!

People are acting like he produced some of the worst games ever, especially at Lionhead.. people have no fucking clue what a bad game actually is. If anything, some of his titles have been held back by a publisher demanding an early release.

Molyneux and the people around him have great ideas and have made some of the most amazing games ever. They may have never truly fulfilled their ambitions, but it doesn´t matter- they HAD the ambition in the first place. God, some of the people in this thread.. "go find a publisher, meh,meh" you guys have no fucking clue why Molyneux left EA/Bullfrog and later Microsoft/Lionhead in the first place.

#26 Posted by Tearhead (2184 posts) -

Watched the prototype and saw no ideas that look new or interesting for the genre. No thank you.

#27 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -

Damn publishers, always ruining games and making them shitty and broad market, why can't they just give the developers money and let them make the game they want?

What, invest money in a game and then we don't get to say how it gets made or have any authority over the developers? If I'm going to give them 12 dollars, then they're going to do what I want, otherwise I'm taking my money back! How dare they ask me to invest, they should go to one of those evil publishers and serve their interests!

#28 Posted by Eidderf (507 posts) -
#29 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Brodehouse said:

Damn publishers, always ruining games and making them shitty and broad market, why can't they just give the developers money and let them make the game they want? What, invest money in a game and then we don't get to say how it gets made or have any authority over the developers? If I'm going to give them 12 dollars, then they're going to do what I want, otherwise I'm taking my money back! How dare they ask me to invest, they should go to one of those evil publishers and serve their interests!

I really don't get what you're yelling at.

Peter Molyneux is an unusual and ambitious developer, that's for sure. His last ambitious project was way into development when it got shut down by a publisher, for what sounded like unreasonable reasons. He has an "artiste" trait to his ideas, increasingly so with each new project it seems, and that isn't fully compatible with the corporate business models that big publishers tend to apply to game development. I don't think anyone is shitting on that type of process - I'm certainly not, anyway - but I would like to see Molyneux working in his own environment, by his own rules, with financial stability.

If this gets funded, I will contribute £50 to the project, and I feel pretty okay about that.

You constantly do this though. Almost every time I see you around you're babbling on some arrogant rant, sarcastically mimicking the voice of whoever it is you're trying to mock. Like seriously, take a chill pill. But if you want to reasonably argue against kickstarter, then by all means.

#30 Posted by ajamafalous (12051 posts) -
@Eidderf said:

@BeachThunder: Lets just say this game didn't appeal to the general

HNGGHGHHHHHHHHHH

Yeah, sounds to me like Molyneux hate train is rolling fast and hard. Say what you will about him over-promising, but dude consistently makes games that are just fun. Fable 1's probably my favorite game on the Xbox. Black & White 2 wasn't bad either, though babysitting became a chore. I hope this project gets funded because I'm definitely interested in anything PM does.
#31 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -
@Snail ... and everytime you respond to me, you manage to completely miss the point, and then claim I'm arguing something I'm not. I won't take your chill pills if they mess with my reading comprehension. Step back Mr. Pusherman.

Do you actually think I'm arguing AGAINST Kickstarter? Go back and read again. I'm arguing against the childish hypocrisy I see whenever Kickstarter gets brought up; the same people who think publishers are the devil and they're stepping on the devs to get what they want immediately imitate their behaviour as soon as they're asked to foot the bill instead. It's hypocritical, and it deserves scorn.

I'm arguing against hypocrisy, what are you arguing? For hypocrisy? Or did you just want a confrontation anyway anyhow? Next time you're ready to crack out the passive aggression and start your argument with "I'm not sure what you're yelling about", read what I said twice.
#32 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Brodehouse: I'm still not sure what or why you're yelling about because:

• I saw no one on this thread arguing that "publishers are the devil and they're stepping on the devs";
  • And your post was a confusingly sarcastic, short, almost aimless rant. All that snark seriously got in the way of whatever point you were trying to make. It's seriously unintuitive. Sorry if I misinterpreted it.

In all seriousness I think I've got your point now, but it, and especially all the bitterness with which it was delivered, was utterly unnecessary. People in this thread who say they will not pledge seem to have justifiable reasons (aside from the users that just seem to hate Molyneux or something).

#33 Posted by Empirepaintball (1395 posts) -

@Humanity said:

Yep, I don't trust him enough not to fuck with us yet again.

#34 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Snail said:

@Bourbon_Warrior said:

@Humanity said:

You're one of those people that eat up every last one of Molyneux's hyperbolic promises, aren't you?

#35 Posted by JoeyRavn (4997 posts) -

@Eidderf: You can't blame him for trying, though. If there's something praise-worthy about Peter Molyneux, it's that he has balls.

#36 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Hailinel: I saw the demo and was impressed, particularly when taking into consideration that the demo seemed to be the product of a somewhat early stage of development (given how recent "Natal" was at the time) . It could have been something different and interesting. I won't speculate too much on it, and I actually don't even know if I would play it, but it certainly seemed like an idea worth exploring.

#37 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Hailinel: I saw the demo and was impressed, particularly when taking into consideration that the demo seemed to be the product of a somewhat early stage of development (given how recent "Natal" was at the time) . It could have been something different and interesting. I won't speculate too much on it, and I actually don't even know if I would play it, but it certainly seemed like an idea worth exploring.

The demo was smoke and mirrors. There was someone behind the curtain controlling Milo's reactions. And the game concept is hardly new or unique. It was basically a Kinect-enabled Wonder Project J with a simplified premise.

#38 Posted by LackingSaint (1833 posts) -

I'm always happy to see an indie team's Kickstarter be successful when there has clearly already been hard work put behind it, so I hope this works out for those guys. It saddens me that people have to be so cynical just because the person heading the project made a game they didn't like, and I have no strong feelings towards Molyneux either way.

#39 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Hailinel said:

@Snail said:

The demo was smoke and mirrors. There was someone behind the curtain controlling Milo's reactions. And the game concept is hardly new or unique. It was basically a Kinect-enabled Wonder Project J with a simplified premise.

Do we know this or are you speculating? I also don't know what Wonder Project J is, but from a quick search it seems to be a franchise that had an iteration on the Super Famicom and the N64. I'd like to think that the Xbox 360/Kinect hardware opens more possibilities for AI interaction than that - and I'm not even a big fan of either.

#40 Posted by Ducksworth (662 posts) -

At the rate it's going it will get backed, which I guess is good for Molyneux since he sounded almost like a broken man in one of the recent-ish interviews.

#41 Posted by Brodehouse (10104 posts) -
@Snail Dude, this is not a place of drawing room language and etiquette enforcement. I'm especially not going to read the riot act from someone who launched into personal attacks first (do you feel calling someone arrogant is okay as long as you're being 'nice'?). I'm going to call stupid stupid when I see it, I'm not going to twist and pervert my language until it's 'appropriate' and effectively meaningless.

I find it completely baffling that you've chosen pedantry over the actual argument put forward; people are whiny little babies no matter how a game gets made. They hate when publishers invest in devs and expect to get what they want, and then they hate devs who want to avoid publishers and be fan-funded, because they can't force the devs to do what they want. I had figured at the beginning that this whole crowd-funding revolution would have people understanding why publishing is the way it is, but no. Instead they've just become even more pissy.

As a complete side note, language policing is such a cheap, passive aggressive way to silence people. "You're free to say whatever you want, as long as it doesn't _sound_ bitter or strident or too direct, and thus offend my delicate sensibilities." That's horseshit. And anyone should be able to call it such.
#42 Posted by flasaltine (1684 posts) -

So its on iOS and Android too? Not interested.

#43 Posted by Hailinel (25179 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Hailinel said:

@Snail said:

Do we know this or are you speculating? I also don't know what Wonder Project J is, but from a quick search it seems to be a franchise that had an iteration on the Super Famicom and the N64. I'd like to think that the Xbox 360/Kinect hardware opens more possibilities for AI interaction than that - and I'm not even a big fan of either.

I thought I read something about the demo to that effect at some point, but after a quick Google search, it appears I may have been mistaken on that, so I concede that point. But regardless, I stand by my assertion that it's really just a gussied up WPJ game with a simplistic premise.

#44 Posted by Ravenlight (8040 posts) -

I bet that goal would be blown out of the water if Linux support was announced. Linux backers seem to make up a surprising chunk of the Kickstarter demographic.

#45 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@Ravenlight said:

I bet that goal would be blown out of the water if Linux support was announced. Linux backers seem to make up a surprising chunk of the Kickstarter demographic.

Fucking tell me about it. The differences between averages always impress me on the Humble Bundles.

#46 Posted by KaneRobot (1707 posts) -

It's hard for me to think I need to get behind a Kickstarter for someone who could probably have little problem raising a vast majority of the money themselves.

I get it that Kickstarter has quickly become an easy way for lazy developers to try to get funded, but that doesn't mean I'm going to participate.

#47 Posted by Snail (8619 posts) -

@KaneRobot said:

It's hard for me to think I need to get behind a Kickstarter for someone who could probably have little problem raising a vast majority of the money themselves.

I get it that Kickstarter has quickly become an easy way for lazy developers to try to get funded, but that doesn't mean I'm going to participate.

I think that by getting a lot of the funding from the userbase a development studio might be able to have a lot less compromises with entities less caring about the final product. I think that might very well be the primary reason why Molyneux chose Kickstarter - especially after the Milo "debacle".

#48 Posted by probablytuna (3744 posts) -

I've never been a fan of Molyneux and I don't plan on pledging, but I hope the project gets the funding it needs.

#49 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

I don't get the cynicism, this industry is in desperate need of ambition and something new that isn't a first person multiplayer persistent online shooter. No publisher would fund the game he wants to make. I don't see why there's so much hate when nobody's seen anything near what the game might end up like.

#50 Posted by Benny (1953 posts) -

@Snail said:

@Ravenlight said:

Fucking tell me about it. The differences between averages always impress me on the Humble Bundles.

If it makes £550,000 it will