#1 Edited by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

(Shamelessly ripped off from Destructoid)

http://www.destructoid.com/first-screenshot-of-dreamfall-chapters-released-243109.phtml

The Longest Journey is arguably the greatest PC adventure game ever freaking created. It's on Steam and Good Old Games. Also April Ryan might be the best female protagonist of all time. The story and the gorgeous art style still hold up. You should totally check it out. I'll wait.

The sequel Dreamfall was released, but fans were left with arguably the most infuriating cliffhanger ending in gaming history. I was almost convinced that Funcom would go under thanks to the ill-advised MMO The Secret World before I finally got the chance to finish the story. It's being developed by an independent studio from Funcom, which means the game might actually come out and not be doomed as vaporware.

This is seriously a treat and might even surpass The Walking Dead for critical acclaim and new feats of storytelling. I'm frankly stoked that we're going to return to Stark and Arcadia once again.

#2 Edited by AjayRaz (12428 posts) -

oh man. this is awesome! i've been meaning to get the first two games for a while but this news should kick me into getting them sooner than i thought. i hope they still hold up.

#3 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

@AjayRaz said:

oh man. this is awesome! i've been meaning to get the first two games for a while but this news should kick me into getting them sooner than i thought. i hope they still hold up.

Dreamfall has a few flaws, but it's still good.

TLJ is nothing short of a masterpiece. Get it.

#4 Edited by madman356647 (270 posts) -

Unfortunately you just missed them both in the Steam holiday sale, where I picked both of them up. I Haven't played TLJ yet, but I really enjoyed the story in Dreamfall (despite knowing nothing that happened in TLJ!). That said, I will agree I had some criticisms with Dreamfall.

Tornquist knows how to make a story (and I really like the story in The Secret World personally).

(Edited for better grammar)

#5 Posted by Raven10 (1793 posts) -

I played part of both Dreamfall and The Longest Journey. The ridiculous adventure game puzzles in TLJ eventually turned me off of the series. I really liked the story and the world, but I just hate adventure games.

#6 Posted by Karkarov (3109 posts) -

This is great news and all but seriously dude what is with the Secret World low blows? It is a great game and the only MMO I actually recommend to people who are MMO veterans because it tries to do things differently without also trying to stop being an MMO in the first place. *cough*Guild Wars 2*cough* Not to mention it has the best voice acting, story, and premise of any MMO on the market.

#7 Posted by TDot (309 posts) -

Did anyone else think Dreamfall was sort of awful?

#8 Edited by Branthog (5562 posts) -

I actually never finished it. I played through part of it twice in the last . . . many years. Both times, I lost my save before I got around to completing the game. I truly do intend to return to it and finish it, though. This will only make doubly sure that happens. :)

Also, I was listening to some podcast recently (surely it couldn't have been the Bombcast, though) where they were talking about how Journey/Dreamfall are the most boring, overhyped, sleep-inducing games, ever. It really sort of bummed me out that lovers-of-games would say that about these games. I guess it's just a "different generation" (even though . . . . the commenters are my age, I believe). Meh.

#9 Posted by fallen_rock2 (45 posts) -

I'm excited for this. Longest Journey was great and that I thought that Dreamfall cliffhanger was never going to be expanded upon.

#10 Posted by Coafi (1488 posts) -

Ah! This is great news! I wanted to play Dreamfall back when it was on xbox classics section on XBL but Xbox took that section off so I sadly missed my chance.

#11 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

@Karkarov said:

This is great news and all but seriously dude what is with the Secret World low blows? It is a great game and the only MMO I actually recommend to people who are MMO veterans because it tries to do things differently without also trying to stop being an MMO in the first place. *cough*Guild Wars 2*cough* Not to mention it has the best voice acting, story, and premise of any MMO on the market.

I played it and liked parts of it. It's still hemorrhaging money.

#12 Posted by Cameron (600 posts) -

I'm just glad this is an actual announcement and not yet another team begging for money on Kickstarter. I liked TLJ and I'd definitely be willing to give this a shot.

#13 Edited by TheManWithNoPlan (5519 posts) -

Wow. I guess I should get around playing them. I bought The Longest Journey on a Steam sale last year. Didn't know much about it though.

( Sigh ) - So many Video games, so little time.

#14 Edited by Nictel (2412 posts) -

@Cameron said:

I'm just glad this is an actual announcement and not yet another team begging for money on Kickstarter. I liked TLJ and I'd definitely be willing to give this a shot.

I've got it from good source they are going to do a Kickstarter.

#15 Posted by Cold_Wolven (2220 posts) -

The Dreamfall Chapters was announced a few years ago but nothing came of it, good to see a screenshot at least. Dreamfall itself was a great game however it left too many questions unanswered that Chapters was probably meant to answer but I guess The Secret World got in the way of it's development.

#16 Posted by manqy (17 posts) -

@Nictel said:

@Cameron said:

I've got it from good source they are going to do a Kickstarter.

Yep, they are indeed doing a kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/redthread/dreamfall-chapters-the-longest-journey

I find it a little strange that they are going that route; but if it ends with a new TLJ game then it's fine by me! Can't friggin' wait.

#17 Posted by jerseyscum (875 posts) -

Because of this announcement, I am currently replaying TLJ on Steam.

It still rules.