This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

Not even fucking joking.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1609815/mass_effect_fan_negativity_was_too_much_for_ray_greg_exbioware_dev.html

Ex-BioWare co-founder and Baldur’s Gate developer, Trent Oster, believes the negative fan reaction to Mass Effect 3 and Star Wars: The Old Republic could have attributed to Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeschuk’s decision to leave BioWare and the games industry.

Speaking to NowGamer, Oster explained that on his last meeting with Zeschuk, the developer was visibly exhausted.

“The last time I met up with [Greg], I felt his exhaustion,” explained Oster. "Punch out, eject, get the hell out", was my suggestions to him and it hit closer to the mark than I had realised. I also think the Mass Effect 3 fan reaction and the Old Republic fans negativity was just too much.”

“You have to love games and you put your heart into them to create them. To have the fans creating petitions against the work is pretty hard to take, especially when you've spent the last few years crunching overtime to try and ship a game. It can be hard to shut off the overwhelming negativity the internet spews forth, especially when it has your name or the name of your company in it.”

Though Oster wasn’t surprised when Zeschuk announced his retirement from the industry, when Muzyka did the same it did come as a shock.

“Ray surprised me,” explained Oster. “I had him pegged as an EA lifer. My thought was the Ray agenda was to first usurp Frank Gibeau and then later John Riccotello as CEO.”

“I'm sure the internal culture at EA had pinned the Old Republic conversion to free to play as a failure and hung that completely on Ray, so that would have hurt his upward climb. But, I figured he would fight harder. EA upper management must have been even worse than I thought.”

Yeah, FUCK gamers for calling EA out on their shoddy products! We should've just paid our sixty dollars and assumed the position in anticipation of DLC probings. Who the fuck do you FANS think you are?

I'm actually ashamed to live in the same country as these people.

#2 Posted by Gilbert64 (63 posts) -

How is ex-bioware developer = EA in your head? That makes no sense.

#3 Posted by Encephalon (1284 posts) -

Huh. I didn't know Trent Oster spoke for EA.

#4 Posted by StarvingGamer (8375 posts) -

Do you idiots actually read the articles you're about to freak out about before posting these fucking threads? I mean obviously not, but fuck.

#5 Posted by cyraxible (693 posts) -

The article says nothing even close to what your headline purports. Last I checked one dude isn't a whole company.

You should feel bad because of your topic title.

#6 Posted by Phatmac (5726 posts) -

How about you guys don't make a broken ending next time? I feel no sympathy for my hatred of the ending. I don't defend them being verbally harassed, but that come with the gig.

#7 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@cyraxible said:

The article says nothing even close to what your headline purports. Last I checked one dude isn't a whole company.

This is the company that made people donating to charity out to be horrific human beings, while in the same breath taking the money FROM said charity.

#8 Posted by cyraxible (693 posts) -

@Terramagi: And that has nothing to do with what I said. Damn dude.

#9 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@cyraxible said:

@Terramagi: And that has nothing to do with what I said. Damn dude.

No, but one leads to the other.

Just like how EA taking money from Child's Play can be logically spun into saying "EA stole from children".

Which I'm not saying.

I'm saying EA stole CHRISTMAS.

There's a difference.

#10 Posted by ArbitraryWater (11913 posts) -

Way to go with the sensational title. If John Riccotello said this, maybe you would have an issue, but it's not. And while I don't think internet assholes were the reason the Bioware doctors left, it certainly helped them go that direction.

#12 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -

Come up with stuff everyone loves, totally turn it around with the sequel, ignore fan reaction and keep going, collect your cheque and get the hell out.

That kind of describes Kotor, ME and DA for me, started out amazing, did some shady stuff in the second and despite reactions they just kept going in their own direction. Which seems to be an art only Nintendo has mastered.

#13 Posted by Terramagi (1159 posts) -

@TaliciaDragonsong said:

Come up with stuff everyone loves, totally turn it around with the sequel, ignore fan reaction and keep going, collect your cheque and get the hell out. That kind of describes Kotor, ME and DA for me, started out amazing, did some shady stuff in the second and despite reactions they just kept going in their own direction. Which seems to be an art only Nintendo has mastered.

Did you just insult KotOR2.

Or insinuate that Bioware made KotOR2.

Which are basically the same thing these days.

#14 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (844 posts) -

This is stupid.

#15 Posted by TheSlothKing (333 posts) -

Can you read?

#16 Posted by TaliciaDragonsong (8699 posts) -
@Terramagi: Forgot about that for a bit, but kotor 2 wasn't all that compared to 1 and they kind of dropped that franchise as well until SWTOR. Which was freaking silly since it was so well loved.
#17 Posted by jayjonesjunior (1090 posts) -

EA already do enough bad themselves, no need for misleading headlines.

#18 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -
@Terramagi said:

@cyraxible said:

This is the company that made people donating to charity out to be horrific human beings, while in the same breath taking the money FROM said charity.

Where in the article does it mention any connection between Oster and EA?
#19 Posted by Bane122 (800 posts) -

Yeah, this needs to either have it's title changed or just locked.

#20 Edited by Roger778 (960 posts) -

I read this on Gamespot today, so it's a legitimate article. I am really shocked that all of the negative reaction about Mass Effect 3's ending might possibly have led the doctors to leave Bioware.

I loved Mass Effect 3, but at the same time the ending didn't feel complete to me. I didn't hate it, but there were too many questions unanswered, like how Joker and the rest of the crew ended up stranded on that jungle planet after the ship crashed. I'm currently playing Mass Effect 1, as a Male Shepard, and when I get to part 3, I'm hoping that the extended cut will provide the answers I seek, because I heard it greatly improves the game.

Regardless, the fact that we may be responsible for the Doctors quitting Bioware is really depressing. I truly hope that's not the case.

P.S. To the people who replayed Mass Effect 3 with the extended cut, please don't spoil anything for me. I wish to see the new endings by myself without any knowledge being given.

#21 Posted by StarvingGamer (8375 posts) -

@Roger778: The article is legitimate, but a bit pointless since this guy has fuck-all to do with anything. The thread title is a bald-faced lie and that's the problem.

#22 Posted by spankingaddict (2705 posts) -

Good . All you whiners out there deserve this , while the rest of us get punished .

I'm being almost fully serious...

#23 Posted by Napalm (9020 posts) -

Faux rage! Grr!

#24 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

Death threats is no way to react to a poor ending.

#25 Posted by Zomgfruitbunnies (844 posts) -

Someone somewhere said something about some people and some reporter posted it on some website on the Internet, so it must be fact!

Just wanted to throw this out there before, y'know, the inevitable nonsense that ensued because of this.

#26 Posted by N7 (3595 posts) -

Flag and move on, people. Don't feed the trolls.

#27 Edited by Roger778 (960 posts) -

@StarvingGamer:

Oh, okay! Thanks for telling me that.

#28 Edited by believer258 (11991 posts) -

I didn't think Mass Effect 3 was a shoddy product. It didn't make my totally hypothetical skirt fly up, but I still enjoyed it.

I didn't play Dragon Age 2 beyond the demo, but one bad product does not condemn a company to hellfire and damnation.

Also, why do people hate EA? I mean, yeah, they've had some shoddy business practices here and there, but no more than any other company. Hell, they release a whole lot of games I like (Dead Space, Battlefield, Mass Effect). Shit, they even funded Dragon Age Origins, a game whose mechanics are from a genre that never comes close to AAA gaming these days.

EDIT: I guess I forgot the obligatory smartass comment telling Terramagi to read the new article he posted more closely, but he'll pay no attention.

#29 Posted by TruthTellah (9312 posts) -

@Terramagi: I know you're feeling some kind of righteous indignation, but your title of this is simply misleading. An ex-developer expressed his opinion that the hyperbolic vitriol surrounding some games these people worked on left them feeling exhausted and looking for a change. Sounds reasonable to me. While there may have been some legitimate gripes over those games, there was also a level of outrage and idiocy completely unnecessary for the situation, and if I had received that level of awfulness from many in the community, I would be pretty exhausted, too. It isn't solely gamers' fault that they left, but I can completely understand how the bad responses of many gamers contributed to their eventual decision to leave.

We have to remember sometimes that these are actual people working on these games, and gamer reactions can have a real impact on people's lives.

#30 Posted by clumsyninja1 (817 posts) -

EA DON'T CARE

#31 Posted by TheHT (11521 posts) -

This thread is stupid. OP is stupid.

*flips table*

#32 Posted by StarvingGamer (8375 posts) -
@TheHT

This thread is stupid. OP is stupid.

*flips table*

YYEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
#33 Posted by laserbolts (5331 posts) -

Typical dumb fucking title for whatever reason. Anyways it's too bad the dude apparently let critism of his work get to him. These days thanks to the internet anyone can voice their fucking dumb exaggerated negative opinion on a game. I love the Internet for some things but I hate how easy it is for retards to stir up a shitstorm over minor stuff like an ending to a videogame. I pity game developers these days having to read some neck beards whining about something they put so much work into.

#34 Posted by Dagbiker (6978 posts) -

@believer258 said:

I didn't think Mass Effect 3 was a shoddy product. It didn't make my totally hypothetical skirt fly up, but I still enjoyed it.

I didn't play Dragon Age 2 beyond the demo, but one bad product does not condemn a company to hellfire and damnation.

Also, why do people hate EA? I mean, yeah, they've had some shoddy business practices here and there, but no more than any other company. Hell, they release a whole lot of games I like (Dead Space, Battlefield, Mass Effect). Shit, they even funded Dragon Age Origins, a game whose mechanics are from a genre that never comes close to AAA gaming these days.

EDIT: I guess I forgot the obligatory smartass comment telling Terramagi to read the new article he posted more closely, but he'll pay no attention.

Why was hypothetical italicized? Is it not actually hypothetical?

#35 Posted by isbecome (83 posts) -

Pouring your blood, sweat and tears into a creative endeavor then having people just thrash it loudly and mercilessly will take a lot out of most people. It doesn't really matter whether it deserves it or not.

#36 Posted by Yummylee (22056 posts) -

Fuck. This is the exact same shit like when you done that ''According to Anita Sarkeesian, you're a misogynist if you enjoyed Ico'' thread. You completely blow up/misrepresent the topic at hand to such a stupid degree that the topic is then drowned in all of this ridiculous, and needless, sensationalism.

#37 Posted by Spoonman671 (4695 posts) -

Can you at least try to be less of a fuckwad?

#38 Posted by Turambar (6810 posts) -
@rebgav said:

@Terramagi said:

“The last time I met up with [Greg], I felt his exhaustion,” explained Oster. "Punch out, eject, get the hell out", was my suggestions to him and it hit closer to the mark than I had realised. I also think the Mass Effect 3 fan reaction and the Old Republic fans negativity was just too much.”

"I told the guy to quit his job and walk away and that's exactly what he did. I blame other people."

I'm get the feeling it's implied that the suggestion was made in jest, and he thought Greg recognized it as such.
#39 Posted by RollingZeppelin (2026 posts) -

The OP is obviously trolling, come on people.

#40 Posted by believer258 (11991 posts) -

@Dagbiker said:

@believer258 said:

My skirt is totally hypothetical. Hell, I'd even derail this entire thread just to prove that it's totally hypothetical.

#41 Posted by DarkShaper (1341 posts) -

Sensationalist headlines YAY!

#42 Posted by Animasta (14712 posts) -

@believer258 said:

@Dagbiker said:

@believer258 said:

My skirt is totally hypothetical. Hell, I'd even derail this entire thread just to prove that it's totally hypothetical.

I'm pretty sure this thread already started out derailed.

#43 Posted by familyphotoshoot (654 posts) -

Maybe if Mass Effect 3 and TOR weren't shit, people wouldn't have complained.

#44 Posted by Gamer_152 (14091 posts) -

It's not often we have to lock a thread because the title is misleading, but in this case it's an obvious problem. A thread discussing this article would be perfectly valid, but the thread title is downright false and it's lead to a situation where many of the posts in here are of a hostile nature or aren't about the topic at hand. There's a reason we say in the forum rules we look down on threads with misleading titles and this is it.