#1 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (674 posts) -

I'm a huge completionist. I always strive to S-Rank every game that I own. But now my patience is waning. I'm stuck trying to do the Bounty trophies in Uncharted Golden Abyss and it is such a painful, long grind that I'm about to give up on the platinum. So I'm asking you. Where do you draw the line when it comes to achievements/trophies?

#2 Posted by Dimsey (946 posts) -

I don't often go out of my way for achievements, just get whatever I happen to get.

Whatever achievements are left after I've finished a game, if they don't sound like they'll be a pain in the ass to do then maybe I'll do them if I liked the game enough to keep playing.

But if it'll be a hassle or too time consuming or the game wasn't that great then I don't bother.

I like getting achievements, I just don't really go looking for them.

#3 Posted by EquitasInvictus (1932 posts) -

Since I barely have time to enjoy games like I used to back in the day, I simply stop going for achievements or trophies when I feel like I've played all there is to play (so I draw the line very quickly, like after I beat a game proper). That being said, the last time I've ever S-ranked was actually with Deus Ex: Human Revolution a few months ago after I got it off a sale, and that was only because I was immersed enough in the game to actually enjoy two different playthroughs of it.

#4 Posted by cthomer5000 (733 posts) -

I generally play the game through without thinking about them, then go after anything i can bang out in a few more hours as my followup play. I really don't bother chasing down really time-consuming ones, as i know i would rather just be playing the next game. It feels like wasted time if i'm basically doing work on a game i'm already mentally done with instead of playing whatever is up next.

#5 Posted by FlarePhoenix (420 posts) -

I've only ever 100% one game, and I completely regretted doing it because it ruined the experience for me. I generally don't bother going after the trophies, but if one comes up I'll look and see what I did to get it. Also, after I finish the game I'll take a look to see what percentage I ended up getting.

#6 Posted by Vinny_Says (5681 posts) -

If I'm close to 1000/1000 and am enjoying the game I'll probably at least try to go for it. Otherwise I'm totally fine with 800-900 points or whatever.

For example; I had 3 achievements left in Dead Space and I decided to get them just last week. After not playing the game for 2 years it was a real pain to beat it on impossible difficulty but in the end I had so much fun; that game is just so damn awesome.

On the other hand, something like getting all the Gears of War achievements is never gonna happen, and I accept that.

#7 Posted by Bigandtasty (3202 posts) -

I used to go hard for 100% completion but now not so much. I don't have any absolute rules but it's just a matter of insane time commitments, ridiculous luck or difficulty involved, or DLC that isn't worth its asking price.

And I guess multiplayer in general is hard to pull off, though I did manage it for Burnout Paradise because I played the crap out of that.

#8 Posted by ShockD (2393 posts) -

If it's a game I like, I might just go for every single one. If not, I just get whatever I unlock while I complete the game.

#9 Posted by Morrow (1828 posts) -

When the fun stops and it's just (mostly useless) grinding. I sometimes enjoy grinding, but I have to be in the mood for it. I'm usually happy when I finish the game with a decent amount of trophies that net me an A or B rank here :)

#10 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (529 posts) -

I'd be lying if I said I didn't care at all, because I do look at the achievements, but i don't obsess about getting them either. Games with stupid achievements, like riding your horse for 100 miles in Darksiders do irritate me though.

#11 Posted by JoeyRavn (4945 posts) -

I love me some Achievements. I have no shame in saying that I will try to S-Rank every game I have. Multiplayer Achievements are where I stop, though.

@Hippie_Genocide said:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't care at all, because I do look at the achievements, but i don't obsess about getting them either. Games with stupid achievements, like riding your horse for 100 miles in Darksiders do irritate me though.

I just used a rubber band and made War go around in circles for 20-30 minutes :P

#12 Posted by Hizang (8534 posts) -

I don't look at them till I'm finished with the game, otherwise it will make me want to play it differently to get a trophy (eg Dead Space)

#13 Posted by Hippie_Genocide (529 posts) -

@JoeyRavn said:

I love me some Achievements. I have no shame in saying that I will try to S-Rank every game I have. Multiplayer Achievements are where I stop, though.

@Hippie_Genocide said:

I just used a rubber band and made War go around in circles for 20-30 minutes :P

That's what I did too, but I'm still bugged by it. The achievement should be unlocked through normal play, not staring at the screen riding endlessly, or glitching it with rubber bands. I rode around a lot finding all the chests and farming souls and it still didn't unlock until I glitched it. That's just dumb, but then again so are virtual attaboys.

#14 Posted by AlfredCapone (164 posts) -

@AcidBrandon18: When I beat a game on Normal and its less than 200 pts on a full retail game, thats just ridiculous....I'm looking at you Max Payne 3

#15 Edited by believer258 (11555 posts) -

I stop about the time that the game asks me complete it on the UBERCORE difficulty using only my ears and a bobby pin.

Honestly, I like achievements but I don't go out of my way for them.

#16 Posted by AjayRaz (12416 posts) -

i like achievements, but i won't go out of my way to get them. if i have like, 950g on a game and the last achievement is something ridiculous, i won't bother to go for it.

the only game i've ever s-ranked is The Walking Dead and that's only because you get all of the achievements for merely completing every chapter.

#17 Edited by WinterSnowblind (7613 posts) -

I don't go out of my way for them at all. If I see there's some goal that sounds fun/silly, I might go and do it, but that's it.

I certainly won't go near anything that involves grinding or doing something incredibly tedious.. Like collecting those flags in Assassin's Creed. Anyone who did that is wrong in the head.

#18 Posted by GodlyOne (137 posts) -

I used to be crazy addicted to getting achievements back when I first had a 360 trying to get every single achievement possible. But in a self-loathing situation very much like an alcoholic waking up to see themselves on the floor surrounded by empty bottles, I hit that point when I spent 2 hours trying to look for every last "lost kitten" collectible in Superman Returns. I found every one of them except for one and for the life of me, I couldn't find the damned thing.

I wasted 2 hours doing something completely stupid to try to get a couple of achievements. Achievements and trophies are fun to me but not to the point where you're wasting time on it. Now I just get as many achievements I can in a single playthrough while still having fun with the game, I stay the hell away from multiplayer achievements and ones that involve mind-numbing grinding out.

#19 Posted by ExplodeMode (852 posts) -

I like completing games really thoroughly, trophies or not, so I'll end up getting a bunch of them as much as I don't like that meta stuff. But online grinding stuff, like 'Kill X dudes while they are doing Y' or whatever - I'll never get those or even try.

#20 Posted by Nightriff (4857 posts) -

If I enjoy the game I try to get more trophies but I won't kill myself over it. I have friends that try and get everyone of them and I think they are crazy.

I also draw the line at Multiplayer Achievements/Trophies. FUCK THAT!!!! They are the worst.

#21 Posted by Blommer4 (191 posts) -

I'm not the one who strives to get ALL achievments, but I do love getting them and I do try getting them. I rarely end up with everyone though, because it's usually too much of a bother. Like in Assassin's Creed 2 I had all achievments except the flags or feather or whatever it was you were supposed to collect, and a time consuming achievment that... no fun. I just do the achievments I think looks funny, or the one I get by just playing the game.

#22 Posted by LikeaSsur (1486 posts) -

Online multiplayer achievements will keep me from buying a game, there really shouldn't be anything like that. Eventually, a game will die out, and everyone who just so managed to come late to the party are completely screwed and will never get those achievements outside of boosting, and that isn't how it should be.

#23 Posted by pyromagnestir (4190 posts) -

If I can get an A or B rank on the achievement page here I'm usually alright with that. But if I can't, because the achievements are hard, or there are a lot of multiplayer ones, I don't sweat it. Depends on the game.

I try not to worry about achievements until after I've beaten a game. (I usually fail, I sorta wish there was an option to have all achievements be secret until after you beat the game or something) And if I want to keep playing that game after finishing it, that's when I'll go for some of the achievements that look fun until I'm ready to move on to a new game.

#24 Posted by Ezakael (909 posts) -

I don't usually go out of my way to get all the achievements, but if it's a game I really love I might. That said if the game in questions achievements are mostly multiplayer and or DLC I won't even bother.

#25 Posted by darkedhunter (37 posts) -

I really don't like having rules for the way I play games. I find it is easier to enjoy the game if I'm not adhering to a "get all the achievements" attitude. On the other hand, I wouldn't be opposed to spending extra time with a game that I enjoy for an achievement that looks like it would be fun to complete. So fuck it.

#26 Posted by RioStarwind (477 posts) -

It depends on the game but if it has any mutiplayer achievements I won't go out of the way to get them all. I tried boosting Prey's mutiplayer achievements which just showed me how stupid it is to go for the 1000g that way. Since then I haven't even tried to get 100% if a game has any mutiplayer achievements. As for single player affairs I go for them all if it's enjoyable or easy.

#27 Posted by awesomeusername (4152 posts) -

It depends on the games trophies. Like in Mass Effect 2, Insanity difficulty is fucking ridiculous. It's the only trophy I'm missing and I gave up on it. Or in Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood where you have to reach level 50 in the multiplayer.

#28 Edited by WolfHazard (460 posts) -

I'm a massive achievement hunter and I do my best to get them all

#29 Posted by Rafaelfc (1311 posts) -

multiplayer achievements or achievements that will force me to replay the entire game (difficulty based achievements) unless I really like the game, I rarely ever go for the "hard setting" achievement...

lately i've been into a spite achievement craze... I S ranked Silent Hill downpour just because I thought that game was balls, just to make a point to myself (not a good sign, I guess)

#30 Posted by iam3green (14390 posts) -

not going out of my way to get one. if i beat a game and don't have a bunch of achievements and trophies then i don't care really. i don't try to get them.

#31 Edited by Soap_of_Death (94 posts) -

I like achievements and trophies and how many I go out of my way to obtain usually has to do with how much I like the game. Or even then, like the game enough to spend a few extra hours cleaning up and getting the leftover achievements. There are some I don't bother with, those which require an insane grind (eg. 100% battle trophies in Star Ocean:TLH) or multiplayer achievements in games where the online community is pretty much dead.

I'm not a fan of collectible achievements but I don't mind it so much when the collectables themselves provide some sort of in-game reward/bonus, unlike the pointless coffee thermoses in Alan Wake.

#32 Posted by ninnanuam (255 posts) -

I don't go out of my way.

I only put the time into games i love and generally I don't replay games so I'm not one to get the harder/easier difficulty achievements...

Ive only ever S ranked like 4 games though. Fallout NV, SR 3, Sleeping Dogs and Skyrim....All open world games...maybe there is a pattern there.

#33 Posted by c0l0nelp0c0rn1 (1798 posts) -

I like to S-Rank games that I really enjoy. Bastion, Batman: AA, Borderlands (well, I can dream...), The Wonderful End of the World, etc. I figure if you enjoy a game it will make it easier to S-Rank.

#34 Posted by falserelic (5270 posts) -

If its a game I really like then I might go out of my way to get all of the trophies. I also predict games that I'm probably going to get all of the trophies for such as this...

Indeed I can tell getting the trophies for this game will be challenging. But that's good it gives me bragging rights once I obtained them. It will show that I kill so smoothly and left no evidence behind while wearing my smooth professional suit.

#35 Posted by aznjon12 (188 posts) -

Any Uncharted trophy where I need to look for things, survive and NOT jump into my death or killing things with guns that aren't AK-47.

#36 Posted by Hunter5024 (5503 posts) -

For me it's just a method to wring more content out of a game that I really enjoy. I either ignore all of the trophies in a game or go for the platinum. I don't value the achievements enough on their own to go for them in games that don't deserve it. Also any trophy that requires me to go through content I've already experienced (like multiple playthroughs) usually stops me dead in my tracks.

#37 Posted by GunstarRed (4992 posts) -

Really depends on the game. When I'm really close to the 1000 I'll at least try, but not for too long. I will grind for some achievements and not others, it really does depend on what I'm doing and how much I enjoy the game. I've gotten really good at just letting games go, I used to have a book with progress and achievements I needed to do and games I'd need to return to.

This is something that has only really just happened in the last couple of years. Years ago I'd have tried to S-Rank everything I played, now I'll let things go even if they're easy, but require a huge time commitment. If I love a game there's a much higher chance I'll try to get all the points

#38 Posted by Slag (3897 posts) -

@Morrow said:

When the fun stops and it's just (mostly useless) grinding. I sometimes enjoy grinding, but I have to be in the mood for it. I'm usually happy when I finish the game with a decent amount of trophies that net me an A or B rank here :)

this

#39 Posted by AcidBrandon18 (674 posts) -

Oh, I got the Platinum in Uncharted Golden Abyss. So much grinding, yet I feel like it was worth it.

#40 Posted by RE_Player1 (7541 posts) -

I hardly ever go for the "beat the game on the hardest difficulty" achievements and trophies. To me those are the laziest. Be creative and give us unique challenges in the main or side game.

#41 Posted by deox (210 posts) -

Sometimes S-Rank can be fun to work towards, but to be honest I don't really care about achievements. Unless I really enjoy the game, I'm fine with doing one playthrough and accepting which ever trophies/achievements I got along the way.

#42 Posted by xXxLYNCHxXx (162 posts) -

I'll go for them if they are fun. If I have to play with a guide... no thanks. Multiplayer specific... no thanks. For difficulty based achievements, the game has to be pretty great. Halo and Uncharted work for me, they are both still a blast at hardest settings. Most games are not.

#43 Posted by The_Nubster (2035 posts) -

It depends how much I like the game and how much horseshit I'm willing to deal with. For example, I'm going to 100% Shadow Complex because that game is fucking right awesome, but I won't 100% Trials Evo because fuck me in the face. I 100%'d inFamous because goddamn that game was good, but I didn't 100% inFamous 2 because that game had cheap deaths left and right (ahem off-screen rocket launcher dudes), and it stopped being fun to play after the (admittedly awesome) story was over with.