#1 Posted by MegaLombax (419 posts) -

Hey guys, I'm lookig for good action games (third person/fps) that has RPG elements; games like Darksiders, Binary Domain, Wolfenstein or even Dark Void. I like playing games that have a sense or progression. What other games out there fit this description? Suggestions? Thanks guys.

#2 Edited by Akyho (1690 posts) -

Alpha protocol.

Its more RPG than third person shooter or stealth. Also a missed out Northie Nomination.

#3 Edited by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Resident Evil 4, Dead Space.

Ratchet and Clank, but I think you are already into those games.

Borderlands of course. But I imagine we are going to have to go much deeper to find stuff you don't already know about.

#4 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2038 posts) -

Would Fallout 3 be too deep in the RPG spectrum to recommend?

#5 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

Both Fallout 3 and Alpha Proticol are much more of rpgs with action game mechanics and viewed as such are both pretty sweet. If you try to view them as action games with rpg mechanics then they both fucking suck.

#6 Posted by EquitasInvictus (2038 posts) -

@TentPole: I don't think that could have been articulated any better. I never actually thought of it in those words until now - great point.

#7 Posted by Humanity (9821 posts) -

@MegaLombax:

Castlevania: Lords of Shadow

Hugely underrated, fun game. You get your typical skill tree progression but what is cool and I love in action games is that your characters outer appearance changes over the course of the game as you gain new ugprades.

#8 Posted by BeachThunder (12268 posts) -
#9 Posted by TentPole (1858 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@MegaLombax:

Hugely underrated, fun game. You get your typical skill tree progression but what is cool and I love in action games is that your characters outer appearance changes over the course of the game as you gain new ugprades.

I just want to second this fantastic game that there is good chance you haven't played.

#10 Posted by Humanity (9821 posts) -

@TentPole: Carmilla is probably the hottest boss I've ever had to drive my Battle Cross through ♥

#11 Posted by Grillbar (1888 posts) -

fallout 3 and new vegas

deus ex human revolution

binding of isaac and legends of grimrock even though it really does not fit your decription exactly but i can not help recomend these 2,

uh and alpha protocal. it has some rough spots but worth checking out

#12 Posted by Humanity (9821 posts) -

@Grillbar said:

fallout 3 and new vegas

deus ex human revolution

binding of isaac and legends of grimrock even though it really does not fit your decription exactly but i can not help recomend these 2,

uh and alpha protocal. it has some rough spots but worth checking out

Those are all RPG's with action elements especially the Fallouts.

I think he means more like beat 'em ups with a skill progression tree and a linear path through the story without open world free roaming and quests.

@MegaLombax: Also check out Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning which is technically an RPG but it's very heavily action oriented and it has an active combat system with combos and such (albeit not extremely deep ones) It IS free-roam though so if you want a more straight forward experience that might not be your thing.

#13 Posted by phampire (289 posts) -

This might be a bit out of the ordinary but Stalker: Shadow of Chernobyl with the complete mod is definitely worth mentioning. It a post-apocalyptic shooter that has an emphasis on exploration and has some light-rpg elements (getting better gear, large open environments and story quests that can be done whenever you like). The complete mod is a fan made and mainly updates the visuals and fixes a few bugs.

#14 Posted by DallasTheGamer (154 posts) -

@Humanity said:

@MegaLombax:

This. If you havent played this fantastic game then go for it. It's truly amazing.

#15 Posted by Str8_2_Alticity (13 posts) -

Just some suggestions here:

• Singularity - Underrated fps. If I remember right it has a weapon upgrade system. You naming Wolfenstein in your original post made me think of this.
  • The Binding of Isaac - This game might be the best value I have ever gotten out of a game. I've spent about 8 dollars on the game and have almost 70 hours logged. Plenty of items, challenges, characters, and secrets to unlock.
  • Dead Rising 1 & 2 - These games have frustrating gameplay quirks but I do enjoy the leveling up character progression in them.
  • Shadow Complex - If you want something that plays like a Metroid or Castlevania game.
  • Crackdown 1 & 2 - Lots of character progression and things to collect in these games.
  • 3D Dot Game Heroes - When I think of an action-rpg, the Zelda franchise comes to mind. This game is a fun parody of many games with the main inspiration clearly being Zelda.
  • Dead Space 1 & 2 - I love these games. Weapon and armor upgrade system in place. New game + ( I believe only on the same difficulty though ) allows you to bring those upgrades into another playthrough.

I could probably go on and on listing but I'll cut if off there. I think a lot of those give you that sense of progression you might be looking for in an action game.

#16 Posted by altairre (1244 posts) -

@DallasTheGamer said:

@Humanity said:

@MegaLombax:

This. If you havent played this fantastic game then go for it. It's truly amazing.

Lords of Shadow is absolutely fantastic indeed. It's kinda like God of War and kinda like Zelda but to be honest, I like it more than both series.

#17 Posted by Brodehouse (10105 posts) -

I like that games have combined the fun part of RPGs (progression and customization choices) with the fun part of action games (active controller use). Soon they're going to mix those with the good part of MMOs (big persistent worlds) and that will 'solve' the MMO problem.

#18 Posted by MooseyMcMan (11426 posts) -

@Akyho said:

Alpha protocol.

Its more RPG than third person shooter or stealth. Also a missed out Northie Nomination.

Steven Heck was the best! Maybe my favorite Nolan North character of all time. Maybe. There are a lot of good ones.

#19 Posted by MegaLombax (419 posts) -

@Humanity: 100% Agreed. I'm such a sucker for games that have cosmetic changes to the player character/avatar. I dont know if anyone else noticed in the game Vanquish that your upgraded weapons slightly change their appearance with each tier. I replayed that game a couple of times just to see how each weapon looked like at their max tier.

#20 Posted by Marz (5666 posts) -

Deus Ex (series in general)

#21 Posted by Sammo21 (3410 posts) -

@EquitasInvictus: Nah, F3 is pretty action-rpg.